Has Ed been playing his "magic" Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Has Ed been playing his "magic" Marshall?

I saw this over at vhnd and had to pass along. They've a pic posted of Zakk holding Ed's Plexi stating, it is getting an overhaul. Could it be that Ed has been using it or will be using it to record the new album with to get those classic tones? Let's hope so.

Zakk posted this on his Twitter Sunday:

” THIS IS “THE HEAD OF DOOM” !!! Eddie’s ORIGINAL MARSHALL from ERUPTION til’ 1984!!!!!! Serious MOJO !!!!!! ”

” I DON’T OWN ED’s Original Baby…. She’s Getting some TLC right now…”

” ED’s ORIGINAL HEAD is Being Overhauled…. This is the GRAIL though…. ”

-Zakk Wylde
    This space for rent.
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Nice!!
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

as long as they're not going to retrofit the new Fender guts into it...
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        as long as they're not going to retrofit the new Fender guts into it...

Perish the thought...lol. I thought he'd had it restored to the original specs a few years back, though...there was a GW article about it...
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by jhale667
          Perish the thought...lol. I thought he'd had it restored to the original specs a few years back, though...there was a GW article about it...
          Yeah, I remember that article as well... Maybe they're giving it the once over so it's nice & clean for recording... damn that would be awesome to get the Marshall sound back!!
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
            Yeah, I remember that article as well... Maybe they're giving it the once over so it's nice & clean for recording... damn that would be awesome to get the Marshall sound back!!
            It would indeed...he's never really surpassed that tone...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

dupe post..

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                Oh yeah, the guy in Holland who offered to do a labor of love for no money, then EVH as always bitched about it saying he wrecked it?

Ed isn't happy with anything anyone does for him, he'll bitch about this guys' shop after it leaves like he does all of 'em. BTW what shop did Zakk say he's hanging in this pic?

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Also, unless Ed had the "original" circuit templated on paper in algebraic reduction format, there is no physical way in the universe that amp is going to be made to sound like it originally did.

Board-level components were changed, transformers were changed, caps were changed.. change one or two things here or there and the whole equation result is different.

However the one thing Ed could do to effect the older tones is, and if he's held onto some of those original transformers, is to rewind them. And if he did that, they could be blueprinted and duplicated exactly as a guitar pickup wind is duplicated.

Those plexi-era Radio Spares transformers were handwound, so its' a common thing to do if given to a shop skilled in de-winding, documenting the result and rewinding exactly the same such as Mercury Magnetics over iin Northridge do all the time.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

This picture says a lot. Jeff Weidland is a lucky fucker. He probably got to give this Plexi a go, plus he owns some of Randy Rhoads's personal items..

Could it be Vh is working with Templeman again? Maybe the EVH heads ain't cuttin it for recording...
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                      Also, unless Ed had the "original" circuit templated on paper in algebraic reduction format, there is no physical way in the universe that amp is going to be made to sound like it originally did.

Board-level components were changed, transformers were changed, caps were changed.. change one or two things here or there and the whole equation result is different.

However the one thing Ed could do to effect the older tones is, and if he's held onto some of those original transformers, is to rewind them. And if he did that, they could be blueprinted and duplicated exactly as a guitar pickup wind is duplicated.

Those plexi-era Radio Spares transformers were handwound, so its' a common thing to do if given to a shop skilled in de-winding, documenting the result and rewinding exactly the same such as Mercury Magnetics over iin Northridge do all the time.
                      I had no idea amplifiers were such complicated beasts. I rebuild & refurbish old classic arcade game monitors, and most of that is installing cap kits. Same premise it seems like. Just capacitors & such of different values. But they have to be spot on for that crisp picture. Never had to fix a sound board yet other than a simple volume pot. But I do have a pinball machine where the soundboard needs an overhaul. Once I get motivated to do it, I'll make a thread. I would bet you guys could probably guide me with most of it.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                        Sniper
                        • Oct 2009

Let's hope to the lord that something productive comes out of this...
                        Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                          I had no idea amplifiers were such complicated beasts.
                          They're pretty simple, operationally. However they become musical instruments in themselves once they enhance the harmonic overtones of the pleasing tones you want, and de-emphasize the smoothing of harsher-range tones you don't. Also, because the guitar strings are pretty thin and unsustaining (compared to other string instruments lke piano, or bowed lke violin) in themselves, the saturation-effect of HOW the amplified harmonic structure can grow exponentially - the sustain, compression - really affects the attack signal of the guitar output that in trying to recreate those qualities in consistent fashion at the manufacturer's production level such assembly becomes really difficult.

Just kidding! I am talking out of my ass as usual. I know nothing NOTHING about amplifiers ask anyone here.

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi

This picture says a lot. Jeff Weidland is a lucky fucker. He probably got to give this Plexi a go, plus he owns some of Randy Rhoads's personal items..

Could it be Vh is working with Templeman again? Maybe the EVH heads ain't cuttin it for recording...
                            Oh, yeah betting he got to give it a run-through. Sounds like he wasn't kidding around about the MOJO... Doubt even Templeman could make the King switch amps if he didn't want to; but hey, maybe he's just feeling nostalgic. I'd love to hear it make a re-appearance on the new material...holy crap. I've heard mere mortal Plexis restored that sounded god-like, so one can only imagine...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
                              Let's hope to the lord that something productive comes out of this...
                              Did you know: if you push a bag of Cheetos individually one by one up your rectum that in a half-hour you'll have Cheetobreath?

Comment

Working...