X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Sarah Palin's Twitter Meltdown

The Xfinity Discovery Hub is your resource for Xfinity product news, technology education, and more. Learn about TV, internet, home security, and more.

Black Republicans tell John Avlon that Sarah Palin's tweet in defense of Dr. Laura was ridiculous and indefensible—and that she may be "no longer fit to lead."

Sarah Palin’s post-VP nominee career has so far benefitted from bomb-throwing. The process follows a tight script—a crude, semi-calculated comment is shot into the middle of a political debate via Facebook or Twitter. It gains national attention. Liberals are outraged. Conservatives rush to her defense. Sarah Palin dominates a news cycle and becomes more beloved by her base.

But by unnecessarily rushing to the defense of Dr. Laura Schlessinger—after she dropped the N-bomb 11 times and told the caller “don’t marry outside of your race”—Sarah Palin might finally have gone too far and picked a fight she cannot win.

This is the sound of Sarah Palin jumping the shark in two tweets:

• Dr.Laura:don't retreat ... reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence"isn't American,not fair")
    • Dr.Laura=even more powerful & effective w/out the shackles, so watch out Constitutional obstructionists. And b thankful 4 her voice,America!

The few black conservative candidates, columnists, and media figures—who represent the GOP’s only hope for reclaiming the legacy of Lincoln and, with it, long-term demographic relevance—are not amused. They’re now saying what many in the GOP increasingly believe: Sarah Palin is not fit to be a serious leader of the Republican Party.

I spoke to Michel Faulkner, the former NFL player and Harlem preacher challenging Charlie Rangel for a House seat, and he was unsparing in his criticism: “Why Sarah Palin feels she needs to join in to Dr. Laura’s personal meltdown is beyond me. She’s sounding like she just likes to hear her own voice—and the voice that she has is no longer credible. It says that a leading voice among conservatives has joined the ranks of the entertainers—trying to shock us each day with more and more outlandish commentary. And at that moment that person is no longer fit to lead.”

“The constitutional stuff she’s saying doesn’t even make any sense,” Faulkner said. “She doesn’t know what real shackles are… But ‘don’t retreat, reload?’ Lady, are you kidding me? That is scary language in anyone’s terminology. Sarah Palin scares me.”

Nationally syndicated conservative columnist Deroy Murdock took an even stronger line. “Sarah Palin's tweets resemble something scribbled by a ninth-grade cheerleader. Is it asking too much for a reputed American political leader to communicate in complete sentences? Palin's gravitas gap is growing into the Gravitas Canyon,” said the media fellow at the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University. “Even worse, she deploys her vacuity to defend an acerbic talk-show host who just detonated herself by tossing around the word '******' on the air 11 times, as if it were a volleyball. The American right can do better than this. And it must."

Joe Hicks recently launched a first-of-its-kind program called Minority Report on PJTV.com, from the perspective that “conservative blacks and other minority conservatives are routinely vilified by leftists and liberals as well as often marginalized by the right.” But this California-based Marxist-turned-conservative-convert, who’s a Tea Party-favorite, isn’t buying the party line when it comes to Palin’s Dr. Laura defense.

"When I first heard this stuff, what came across was an extremely lame white chick trying to school this other woman about the N-word. … So I’m certainly not one to try and defend Dr. Laura. She has a history of being a negative and nasty persona. But Sarah Palin’s comments? Well, this is confusing stuff coming out of a woman who would have been the vice president if McCain had won. … Palin seems to be as equally detached from the real world where people operate and where race is a really volatile topic.”

“First Amendment rights? Of course. But [Dr. Laura] wasn’t fired—she decided to drop her show. So I’m not exactly understanding what Sarah Palin’s understanding of the Constitution is here. And it isn’t completely out of character, which is very unfortunate. She keeps dropping this bizarre stuff,” Hicks said. “It says this woman really has no larger vision of what she is trying to do in a political sense—there’s a pretty narrow intellect at work here ... Attempting to defend the indefensible is just kind of insulting.”

Earlier in the day, my colleague at The Daily Beast, Samuel P. Jacobs, got in touch with Timothy Johnson, chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, the organization that helped recruit a record 32 African-American Republican congressional candidates this year—a feat first reported in The Daily Beast. Johnson was clear: “Sarah Palin is not the chair of the Republican Party. … She is a leading Republican, but from what I can tell many black Republicans don’t use Sarah Palin as a benchmark. I hope Chairman Steele comes out in relationship to this issue. … You can support the sinner and not the sin. We need to separate respecting the doctor versus respecting what she says. … If she chooses to run for president in 2012, she is going to have to answer to black Republicans.”

By mid-afternoon yesterday, RNC Chairman Michael Steele’s office was still offering no comment on this controversy. It is a silence he will not be able to keep indefinitely.

Calling health-care plans “death panels” proved devastatingly effective for Sarah Palin and helped set the tone and terms of debate for many of her fellow conservatives. But Palin’s amen-corner echo-chamber may be too well insulated. The essential diversity of American life seems to escape her. And whether she’s become addicted to controversy or reflexively rallying what she calls "real America" to the defense of the indefensible, she is on the wrong side of history. And those are odds you can’t wink your way out of.

As Michel Faulkner explained: “As a conservative running in Harlem, it is very difficult to get our message of responsible government out if all our spokespeople are wingnuts. We need people that understand how to bring our culture together and not divide us… [Sarah Palin] made it even more difficult for those of us who view ourselves as true conservatives in an age of political correctness, because racism can never be one of those things that we can accept without consequence.”

John Avlon's new book Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America is available now by Beast Books both on the Web and in paperback. He is also the author of Independent Nation: How Centrists Can Change American Politics and a CNN contributor. Previously, he served as chief speechwriter for New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and was a columnist and associate editor for The New York Sun.

Bye bye, baby...
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

please let this kill off her career and just have her go back to being some talk show host in alaska so we can't be bothered by her.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
      please let this kill off her career and just have her go back to being some talk show host in alaska so we can't be bothered by her.
      I think it will - if this isn't directly the catalyst that makes it happen, then it's certainly another good foot forward towards it. Eventually, her general ignorance, air-headed demeanor regarding public speaking and National Enquirer-like interfamily drama is going to alienate EVERYBODY except for her fellow like-minded fringe thinkers.

Honestly, you know what I hope? I hope that the Tea Party just elects her supreme deity, breaks off from the Republican party all together and they all just form a tiny, misinformed, quiet little community with meager resources and no world view. Who knows? Maybe the resulting fallout will bring the Republican and Democrat parties closer together on a lot of issues in face of that...maybe mutual disgust with Tea Party wingnuts like Sarah and her ilk will usher in a brand new era of cooperation between Republicans and Democrats.

I'd LOVE to see that happen. Overall I think certain Republican ideas are alright, and even in some cases productive and good - I just think they're far too entrenched in "morality" issues to really concentrate on effectively cooperating with Democrats for the betterment of American society and life as a whole.

Wildly idealistic, but I'm an eternal optimist and, if nothing else, a hopeless romantic...
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
        I think it will - if this isn't directly the catalyst that makes it happen, then it's certainly another good foot forward towards it. Eventually, her general ignorance, air-headed demeanor regarding public speaking and National Enquirer-like interfamily drama is going to alienate EVERYBODY except for her fellow like-minded fringe thinkers.

Honestly, you know what I hope? I hope that the Tea Party just elects her supreme deity, breaks off from the Republican party all together and they all just form a tiny, misinformed, quiet little community with meager resources and no world view. Who knows? Maybe the resulting fallout will bring the Republican and Democrat parties closer together on a lot of issues in face of that...maybe mutual disgust with Tea Party wingnuts like Sarah and her ilk will usher in a brand new era of cooperation between Republicans and Democrats.

I'd LOVE to see that happen. Overall I think certain Republican ideas are alright, and even in some cases productive and good - I just think they're far too entrenched in "morality" issues to really concentrate on effectively cooperating with Democrats for the betterment of American society and life as a whole.

Wildly idealistic, but I'm an eternal optimist and, if nothing else, a hopeless romantic...
        I think you're right in that she's on her way out of favor except among the most racist and retarded (and the two do seem to go hand-in-hand) of US citizenry now. But the Tea Party isn't interested in "breaking off", they literally used the term "Hostile takeover" in regards to their aim for the GOP this week. And if that's the case, Repukes are DONE. Obama and the Dems would have to start eating babies on national TV to even give the GOP a remote shot at re-taking the Presidency or the majority....

Every time you think she can't POSSIBLY be a bigger idiot, she proves you wrong...and Dr. Laura totally talked smack about her during the campaign! Now she defends her...another indicator of how stupid Palin is.
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
          I think you're right in that she's on her way out of favor except among the most racist and retarded (and the two do seem to go hand-in-hand) of US citizenry now. But the Tea Party isn't interested in "breaking off", they literally used the term "Hostile takeover" in regards to their aim for the GOP this week. And if that's the case, Repukes are DONE. Obama and the Dems would have to start eating babies on national TV to even give the GOP a remote shot at re-taking the Presidency or the majority....

Every time you think she can't POSSIBLY be a bigger idiot, she proves you wrong...and Dr. Laura totally talked smack about her during the campaign! Now she defends her...another indicator of how stupid Palin is.
          We'll see. The Republicans aren't usually the smartest players in the room, but I'm pretty sure the upper eschelon knows full well that it's political suicide to align themselves too directly with the lunatic fringe of the tea party. It'll be REALLY, REALLY interesting to see what Michael Steele has to say about Dr. Laura for sure, and whether or not he's going to address anybody buying into Sarah's attempt to use Twitter to rustle up support for her position.

The article's absolutely right, sooner or later he's going to have to address it...and the tea partiers are also partially right in the sense that they're going to have to be dealt with and acknowledged, one way or another - Michael Steele HAS to know that a direct alignment with that sort of mentality is going to screw them in 2012. Up til now the best they've had going for them is Sarah's bizarre ability to energize the MILF-lovers in her fanbase in a certain direction, but if they can't even seriously rely on that anymore, then all they have are a bunch of old, tired white guys regurgitating the same crap that Reagan spewed in 1980, only difference is it's 30 years later and the fine print excludes a LOT of the ever-changing face of America.

"Stay the course!" doesn't exactly cut it anymore. That's what brought us to this crossroads in the first place. The Republican party is seemingly desperate for a new Reagan, but in the mad dash to locate one it's spawned a bunch of zealot wingnut uber-conservative pigheaded hypocrites with no world view, and that's NOT the face you want to present to the world at large and say "Fellow humans, meet your America!".

No wonder half of the world wants the empire toppled. Christ, based on what I see and hear out of us on a daily basis, I would too.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I think you're right in that she's on her way out of favor except among the most racist and retarded (and the two do seem to go hand-in-hand) of US citizenry now.
            Good thing she has more than a hanfull of dumbass liberals falling out of favor with her. She's in good company.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
              Black Republicans tell John Avlon that Sarah Palin's tweet in defense of Dr. Laura was ridiculous and indefensible—and that she may be "no longer fit to lead."
              she was NEVER fit to lead...
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Remember when "Dr" Laura's bong shop owning son knocked a woman down and kicked her in the head at the 2004 Repuke convention?

There's nobody in the Schlessinger family worth defending. Or the Palin family, for that matter. Maybe we should let Todd & Sarah have their "Alaskan Independence Party" and let them fucking secede from the union. But only AFTER we deport all the teabaggers up there.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  Good thing she has more than a hanfull of dumbass liberals falling out of favor with her. She's in good company.
                  Yeah...I'll take "Who's stupid enough to come to a racist's defense" for 500, Alex....

Even Repukes who thought she was their savior are like "WTF" now, dude. She's in good company - with the few remaining dwellers and bottom-feeders that still support her.

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  Exactly, exactly.
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Golden AWe
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Any nudes?
                    Originally posted by Cato
                    Golden, why are you FAT?
                    Originally posted by lesfunk
                    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Yeah...I'll take "Who's stupid enough to come to a racist's defense" for 500, Alex....

Even Repukes who thought she was their savior are like "WTF" now, dude. She's in good company - with the few remaining dwellers and bottom-feeders that still support her.
                      I put her in the same boat as Wrangle. Except she is white, good looking and has never been slapped with hundreds of eithics violations. :tongue0011:

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                        I put her in the same boat as Wrangle.
                        Uhm...OK.

Except she is white
                        Irrelevant were the discussion not about her defending the (indefensible) use of the N-word.

good looking
                        Seriously debatable. She does nothing for me and then there's that VOICE - worse than nails on a fucking chalkboard. You've got lowered expectations, maybe?

and has never been slapped with hundreds of eithics violations.
                        Thinking you mean "Ethic" perhaps? She's working on them. Give her some time. :tongue0011:

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          I think she's fit to lead on certain local levels, and being Governor proved to be too much for her so she quit? Mid term?

I don't see this as a meltdown: it's support of a meltdown of Dr. Laura's which are usually wielded upon stupid callers who either play games with her on the air, or are just too stupid or not listening.

They're both positive forces in the national media and do good things. I just dont wanna see either as president when better candidates are afield.

Comment

• Bob_R
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Golden AWe
                            Any nudes?
                            I was just about to ask the same thing.

That woman is HOT!!
                            Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

It's all a bit moot, 'innit?

Sarah Palin has no interest in being an effective elected leader.

She's just plugging her brand. She's smart enough to know she's not gonna win any national race (she wouldn't even have been reelected to the Alaskan governorship following the 2008 Presidential race, hence her resignation), and has found a rather lucrative niche feeding her fan base (not large enough to make a difference in the voting booths, but large enough to keep her coffers full) their ideological pablum.

She's becoming like Gingrich in the regard that they both need to dangle the possibility of a WH run alive to keep their speaking fees high, but neither of them actually want to run. They couldn't even win the GOP primaries (or even come in a close second), much less the national election in 2012. Palin, her oldest daughter and Levi are just fame junkies, and all three of them will continue to engage in increasingly ridiculous behavior to get their next fix of the media glare.

Dr. Laura does have some nice titties for an older broad, though.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...