PDA

View Full Version : Does it make sense to trim the Members roster?

GAR
08-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Does it make sense to trim the Members roster?

Is there any benefit for the site to hold onto so many dead usernames entered in the members list?

I wonder if this would speed up the server.

There's like, 26 thousand entries, and I've seen over 1000 active tops at the time of the Reunion Tourdates announcement. That was 3 years ago.

Since then the USUAL daily traffic is now like, couple hundred members and twice that in guest visits. Although lately half that is more the story.

We have no banners or ads to sustain this joint, but if we did does a boast of member count gain better click earnings verses an Alexa site ranking?

I was looking at Sensible Shoes' member number of 25000-something, and I thought "wow, is there that many parisitic, 'bot-regged usernames here?" Because there couldn't possibly be even ten percent of that number active.

Big Troubles
08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
i think it would make more sense to delete old threads that easily get duplicated and thus waste bandwidth....

Diamondjimi
08-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I think the banning and deleting of one particular members membership & useless drivel/spamming would increase server speed ten fold...

GAR
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
How many gigabytes of storage does The Sheep Pen thread incur on our bandwidth, do you know?

2.5 gb. STFU

Big Troubles
08-21-2010, 04:41 PM
How many gigabytes of storage does The Sheep Pen thread incur on our bandwidth, do you know?

as much as The Dump. :)

VanHalenFan5150
08-21-2010, 06:55 PM

2.5 gb. STFU

Strangely enough, you're the one who posted in most of it

Seshmeister
08-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Does it make sense to trim the Members roster?

Is there any benefit for the site to hold onto so many dead usernames entered in the members list?

I wonder if this would speed up the server.

There's like, 26 thousand entries, and I've seen over 1000 active tops at the time of the Reunion Tourdates announcement. That was 3 years ago.

Since then the USUAL daily traffic is now like, couple hundred members and twice that in guest visits. Although lately half that is more the story.

We have no banners or ads to sustain this joint, but if we did does a boast of member count gain better click earnings verses an Alexa site ranking?

I was looking at Sensible Shoes' member number of 25000-something, and I thought "wow, is there that many parisitic, 'bot-regged usernames here?" Because there couldn't possibly be even ten percent of that number active.

No.
Yes.
No.
No.

GAR
08-22-2010, 04:28 AM
I don't know if I liked it better when we had 1000 real active username members, and 4000 flakey one-timer visitors.

What if we pushed some digital foot up those bot-regge'd asses and start off a new board launch with a corresponding member wipe, and chop it all back down to 5 or 6K?

There must be some benefit to 25K members, or Brett's joint wouldn't have any banner ads. WTF, Hausmann figures we're not worthy of his banner ads, or did we tell him we didn't do circle-logo VH here..

GAR
08-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Maybe I'm thinking too much about it. We could sure use a new WARF in here, but Lounge and Nick would whip out their bell-ends to 'em and scare 'em off for sure.

I'm excited about the new launch I guess.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
It's a valid question, but you might as well forget it.... Sarge is deploying to Iraq tomorrow, and none of us have the "keys" to make any changes.... After Mez and Travis work out the last minor bugs hopefully today, we go live with the new design and that's the completion of their responsbilities....

Reverberator
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
as much as The Dump. :)

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? , the dump is shit?