Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Top Ten disapointing moments in the music industry

10. Bob Rock takes over Metallica
    9. Wolfmother sucks
    8. 90's Punk drops the ball
    7. David Bowie in "Let's Dance" (at the very least that album was responsible for helping push Stevie Ray Vaughn into the mainstream)
    6. Fratteli's and the Arctic Monkeys 2nd albums
    5. The Crack down on sampling in Hip-Hop (sort of pushing hip-hop into this shit cell-phone ringtone direction)

4. Female singer-song writers drop off the face of the earth
    3. KRS-One endorses Lil Wayne
    2. Misfits and the Ramones go downhill
    1. The Break-up of the Beatles

was curious what everyone's own personal list would be.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

10. MTV and VH1 devolve into a Reality show based networks

It's sad, I've seen a lot of the old clips on youtube of how MTV used to be. To have a channel that used to be able to play everything from Bruce Springsteen to Journey to Van Halen to Devo to Run DMC to Michael Jackson is now handing out paychecks to people who in earlier years would be working the checkout (and promptly getting fired with two days) of K-Mart

9. The Nu-Metal genre emerges

Having played High School football when this genre was near it's peak and having it played every-single-fucking day in the locker-room, I cannot begin to tell how fucking un-inspired this shit is. Slipknot, Disturbed, Stained...all are just shitty cookie-cutter rock that pretty much sing about the un-inspired "rage", and try to scream these whiny vocals over just completely incompetent guitar playing. I'm thankful that there time has passed, but dear god it was awful.

8. Tupac and Biggie die

Hip-Hop has started to become utter shit since these pair have died. I will say that theres a couple of decent albums out, but nothing can compare to what these two made and gave hip-hop.

Now we're stuck with watching all these fucking dumbass wiggers claiming that they love 'pacs music and P. Diddy banking off of his more talented friend still.

7. Aerosmith after the 70's

Aerosmith is probably amongst the greatest hard rock bands ever, and it's records in the 1970's are really still praised by musicians today. But when they did get clean and back together their music really started to deteriorate. I would say that any given fan of the band should not even try to listen to anything after "Get a Grip", which is still a decent record to me, nothing to write home about, but compared to the more recent attempts it sounds like "Toys in the Attic" I really wish the band had called it quits around 1995, and kept a low profile with the exception of a few guest apperances

6. American Idol goes on air

Really, this show just is the lame-horse that won't die. It's a fucking karaoke competition. Also, has one person of talent ever came off of this show? Daughtery? Clay (Gar) Aiken? those are the only two I can think of and they both SUCK. The rest are now county fairs and productions of grease. Also, anyone who claims they're a "Rocker" on this show, should be shot. Maybe just by the clothes that you wear and hell, you might even cover a classic rock tune, but that doesn't suddenly put you in the catergory of David Lee Roth. Seriously, piss-off with that bullshit.

5. Axl breaks up Guns N' Roses

Velvet Revolver is just a terrible combination, isn't it? I mean, I love both things seperately (glad to see STP back together and touring), but ugh...words cannot express that suck. Chinese Democracy wasn't bad of an album (more like UYI III), but Axl, it's time, do it before it's too late. If Ed and Dave can make amends, I'm sure you can as well.

4. Kurt Cobain's suicide

I somewhat blame this for killing off the grunge/alternative movement and for killing of good mainstream rock as we knew it. It would have been better if he just became a recluse and let the other GREAT bands of the era (AIC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, STP) take the reigns and keep good music alive. Nope

3. Pop-Explosion of 1997-1998

After Cobain killed himself off the rock music world was kept alive a bit by bands that wern't exactly on par with the aforementioned bands, but they were decent. Think Gin Blossoms in this regard. Then there pre-produced, shit pop groups and individuals starting popping up like fucking weeds. Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Britney Spears..all people that relied on their image over their music started hijacking

2. Clear Channel becomes a radio monopoly

Turn on your radio right now and chances are one, if not all of your rock stations have been turned off to these fucking suits. No longer is it about what the DJ actually wants to play, now it's about what these guys want to hear being played. Hence why there's Nickelback being played 30 times a day, and some group that may be very good gets overlooked

1. Van Halen after 1985

If I need to go into detail about this and why it's at the top of my list, then you're at the wrong site.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

1. Van Halen post 1984
      2. Genesis after Peter Gabriel left
      3. KISS "Music From The Elder"
      4. The emergence, let alone existence of Michael Bolton
      5. The Key-tar
      6. Jeff Buckley drowns
      7. Kenny G (See Bolton, above)
      8. 98% of the solo offerings of former Led Zeppelin members
      9. Singing actors (David Soul, Bruce Willis, Eddy Murphy, Don Johnson...)
      10. The deaths of Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg, Sam Kinison and George Carlin. Trust me, these guys were more rock and roll than most musicians I've known.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• indeedido
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
        3. KISS "Music From The Elder"
        "For I am just a boy. Too young to be seen."
        This space for rent.

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

10. The passing of Randy Rhoads:
          One of the most talented guitarists/musicians the world has ever heard. Considered himself a student....always wanting to learn more. Had he been alive today, the music we could've given us would've blown our fucking minds. The only other guitarist in the world we could say that about would be Jimi Hendrix.

9. The passing of Ronnie James Dio:
          The 4 foot dude with a 20 foot voice. You'd have to listen to your Elf, Rainbow, and Sabbath discs in order to understand what a tremendous loss that was. To you, to me, to everyone.

8. KISS going disco:
          I still wonder how "I Was Made For Loving You" was left off of the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack. John Travolta could've busted some serious moves to that song. From that point on whenever Gene and Paul would say the words 'rock' and 'roll', it was just irritating. "Gene, quit jacking me off...you want my $10.99? I'll give you twenty bucks right now if you'll just go the fuck away!"

7. Cheap Trick NOT being inducted in the Rock Hall:
          Cheap Trick, Alice Cooper are continually snubbed by the RNRHOF in favor of more powerful and legendary rock and rollers like Grandmaster Flash and Madonna.

6. Grunge/Heroine Rock:
          This group of crybabies crashed the party in the early 90's. As ridiculous, excessive and cartoonish as it got in the 80's, it was still very positive. It was a booze, blow, and babes party train that got derailed by a pack of sissies who'd rather spend their weekends curled up around the toilet with their pasty, fucked-up skin and pretty eyes. This 'downer music' was introduced to us by way of Seattle, where it rains most of the time, and that reflected in the music. It gave us Soundgarden, Jerry Cantrell, a dark, negative memory, and not much else.

.......I'll be back with the Top 5.....right after these messages!

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

DLR rejoining Van Halen for 6 weeks only is up there IMO.

Hip hop. All of it.

David Geffen = CUNT

Axl Rose = Prozac on the rocks

Heroin in Music, any of it

Nirvana

MTV's Real World sitcoms and the destruction of the art medium formerly known as "music videos" these last 20 years

Illegal downloading of music and the lack of its' pursuit by the RIAA to stem the bloodflow

Lack of responsible Executive-level grooming from those "cashing-out" like Jerry Moss and Herb Alpert, and all the DIRECTIONLESS industry cuntsolidation that followed -

#1 disappointment: Van Hagar.

Comment

• Jesus H Christ
              Full On Cocktard
              • Jun 2007

4. The emergence, let alone existence of Michael Bolton
              Michael Bolton single-handedly made me believe in the Devil...The only logical reason he became a famous singer is he sold his soul.

10. The deaths of Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg, Sam Kinison and George Carlin. Trust me, these guys were more rock and roll than most musicians I've known.
              Great point...
              "If your child needs a role model and you're not it, you're both fucked".-George Carlin

Comment

• hambon4lif
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

5. The complete disrespect/ignorance of rock history by the last two generations:When Britney Spears was asked why she did a version of Joan Jetts "I Love Rock'n'Roll" on one of her albums, she told them it was because she "loved Pat Benatar".....Rock music has been spit on like that often, now more than ever. They don't give a fuck where it comes from anymore....it's not like they're going to take it and do anything good with it anyways......

4. The 'political correctness' of it all.....
                Once upon a time in a galaxy far away, David Lee Roth used to stand onstage and take verbal swipes at everyone from Quiet Riot to The Clash, and people actually laughed about it. That wouldn't happen now. Nowadays Diamond Dave would be all over the evening news getting crucified by the media and having to explain himself, because, heaven forbid, somebody would get offended. That's what rock and roll (and society) has become filled with...a bunch of thin-skinned pussies who take everything so goddamn personal. Along with all the other good stuff that comes with it, Rock'n'Roll also needs humor....without it, it will just die, and it has a little bit.
                Every once in awhile, you'll see a band like Tenacious D or Steel Panther and figure all may not be lost....that at least some bands out there still fucking "get it".

3. Underage Bass Players In Kickass Rock Bands:
                If I could, I would put into law that every member of a badass rock band must get laid on a regular basis. ESPECIALLY the rthym section! How are you going to hold down sinister grooves like "Dirty Movies" and "Sinners Swing" when you don't even know how to fuck yet? It affects the music, the attitude....it affects everything!!
                Alot of people might argue with me.."Michael Anthony getting laid??!?....C'mon!"
                Well, why the fuck not? Somedays even a dog gets a warm piece of the sidewalk, and if you listen to the first four Van Halen albums, it becomes obvious that even little Mikey was getting his freak-on.
                If you expect everyone to groove with you....ya' gotta get your feet wet!

.....we'll be right back with the 2 most disappointing moments in the music industry...right after this!

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

- Eddie V. hiring Sammy Hagar. To be fair, Spambo wouldn't get this much hatred if he kept his fucking mouth shut. The direction Van Halen took after Sammy got in was the direction EDDIE wanted it to go. But Bette had to talk shit about Dave.

- Grunge. Dear Gawd, if you told people in the 80s that it would be cool to be a whiny bum, they would've laffed at you while snorting coke, drinking hard booze & fucking a hooker in the arse with no condom.

- Emo. Dear Gawd, if you told the whiny bums in the 90s that it would be cool to be a whiny little bitch that kinda looks like girly boy, they wouldn't've cared as they were too busy snorting coke & feeling sorry for themselves whilst looking like lumberjacks.

- Hip Hop. Coloured people gave us blues, soul, jazz, but somewhere along the line, they kinda got lost.

- Bands with a message. Sup-par "musicians" with nothing interesting to offer, had to make do with "significant" lyrics.

- Nu Metal. That shit ain't metal, what the fuck? That shit ain't shit!

- U2. Why, God? And you wonder why more & more people turn away from you.

- Teen pop. They're obviously lobbying to make padeophilia acceptable.

- Overpriced concert tickets. The end of an era.

- Ronnie...

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
                    Michael Bolton single-handedly made me believe in the Devil...The only logical reason he became a famous singer is he sold his soul.

He tried being Sammy Hagar first. Bruce Kulick actually isn't all that bad on this track. Blows my mind that he tried to be a rock singer first though.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

In no particular order:

1. 1985: DLR quits Van Halen

2. 1986-1991: the American hair metal scene

3. 1996: CVH fail to maximize their reunion beyond the 2 BOV1 tracks

4. 1980-1982: KISS (Criss quits, the Elder, Frehley quits)

5. 1970: Jimi Hendrix dies

6. 1980: John Lennon assassinated

7. John Bonham dies

8. Rolling Stones creative output since 1981

9. Randy Rhoads dies

10. Jughead quits The Archies
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

5. The Key-tar
                        oh no you din't!!!!
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                          Illegal downloading of music and the lack of its' pursuit by the RIAA to stem the bloodflow
                          but it's been okay for the labels to rip off their acts for how long?
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme

He tried being Sammy Hagar first. Bruce Kulick actually isn't all that bad on this track. Blows my mind that he tried to be a rock singer first though.
                            That was an okay tune for the time, but it back then it was too gay - and today its' too weak to call it Metal

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              but it's been okay for the labels to rip off their acts for how long?
                              It's never been okay to rip off artists.

Comment

Working...