PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten disapointing moments in the music industry

Unchainme
08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K29B_tXTZws

10. Bob Rock takes over Metallica
9. Wolfmother sucks
8. 90's Punk drops the ball
7. David Bowie in "Let's Dance" (at the very least that album was responsible for helping push Stevie Ray Vaughn into the mainstream)
6. Fratteli's and the Arctic Monkeys 2nd albums
5. The Crack down on sampling in Hip-Hop (sort of pushing hip-hop into this shit cell-phone ringtone direction)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UregonFUNqg

4. Female singer-song writers drop off the face of the earth
3. KRS-One endorses Lil Wayne
2. Misfits and the Ramones go downhill
1. The Break-up of the Beatles

was curious what everyone's own personal list would be.

Unchainme
08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
10. MTV and VH1 devolve into a Reality show based networks

It's sad, I've seen a lot of the old clips on youtube of how MTV used to be. To have a channel that used to be able to play everything from Bruce Springsteen to Journey to Van Halen to Devo to Run DMC to Michael Jackson is now handing out paychecks to people who in earlier years would be working the checkout (and promptly getting fired with two days) of K-Mart

9. The Nu-Metal genre emerges

Having played High School football when this genre was near it's peak and having it played every-single-fucking day in the locker-room, I cannot begin to tell how fucking un-inspired this shit is. Slipknot, Disturbed, Stained...all are just shitty cookie-cutter rock that pretty much sing about the un-inspired "rage", and try to scream these whiny vocals over just completely incompetent guitar playing. I'm thankful that there time has passed, but dear god it was awful.

8. Tupac and Biggie die

Hip-Hop has started to become utter shit since these pair have died. I will say that theres a couple of decent albums out, but nothing can compare to what these two made and gave hip-hop.

Now we're stuck with watching all these fucking dumbass wiggers claiming that they love 'pacs music and P. Diddy banking off of his more talented friend still.

7. Aerosmith after the 70's

Aerosmith is probably amongst the greatest hard rock bands ever, and it's records in the 1970's are really still praised by musicians today. But when they did get clean and back together their music really started to deteriorate. I would say that any given fan of the band should not even try to listen to anything after "Get a Grip", which is still a decent record to me, nothing to write home about, but compared to the more recent attempts it sounds like "Toys in the Attic" I really wish the band had called it quits around 1995, and kept a low profile with the exception of a few guest apperances

6. American Idol goes on air

Really, this show just is the lame-horse that won't die. It's a fucking karaoke competition. Also, has one person of talent ever came off of this show? Daughtery? Clay (Gar) Aiken? those are the only two I can think of and they both SUCK. The rest are now county fairs and productions of grease. Also, anyone who claims they're a "Rocker" on this show, should be shot. Maybe just by the clothes that you wear and hell, you might even cover a classic rock tune, but that doesn't suddenly put you in the catergory of David Lee Roth. Seriously, piss-off with that bullshit.

5. Axl breaks up Guns N' Roses

Velvet Revolver is just a terrible combination, isn't it? I mean, I love both things seperately (glad to see STP back together and touring), but ugh...words cannot express that suck. Chinese Democracy wasn't bad of an album (more like UYI III), but Axl, it's time, do it before it's too late. If Ed and Dave can make amends, I'm sure you can as well.

4. Kurt Cobain's suicide

I somewhat blame this for killing off the grunge/alternative movement and for killing of good mainstream rock as we knew it. It would have been better if he just became a recluse and let the other GREAT bands of the era (AIC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, STP) take the reigns and keep good music alive. Nope

3. Pop-Explosion of 1997-1998

After Cobain killed himself off the rock music world was kept alive a bit by bands that wern't exactly on par with the aforementioned bands, but they were decent. Think Gin Blossoms in this regard. Then there pre-produced, shit pop groups and individuals starting popping up like fucking weeds. Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Britney Spears..all people that relied on their image over their music started hijacking

2. Clear Channel becomes a radio monopoly

Turn on your radio right now and chances are one, if not all of your rock stations have been turned off to these fucking suits. No longer is it about what the DJ actually wants to play, now it's about what these guys want to hear being played. Hence why there's Nickelback being played 30 times a day, and some group that may be very good gets overlooked

1. Van Halen after 1985

If I need to go into detail about this and why it's at the top of my list, then you're at the wrong site.

chefcraig
08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
1. Van Halen post 1984
2. Genesis after Peter Gabriel left
3. KISS "Music From The Elder"
4. The emergence, let alone existence of Michael Bolton
5. The Key-tar
6. Jeff Buckley drowns
7. Kenny G (See Bolton, above)
8. 98% of the solo offerings of former Led Zeppelin members
9. Singing actors (David Soul, Bruce Willis, Eddy Murphy, Don Johnson...)
10. The deaths of Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg, Sam Kinison and George Carlin. Trust me, these guys were more rock and roll than most musicians I've known.

indeedido
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
3. KISS "Music From The Elder"

"For I am just a boy. Too young to be seen."

hambon4lif
08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
10. The passing of Randy Rhoads:
One of the most talented guitarists/musicians the world has ever heard. Considered himself a student....always wanting to learn more. Had he been alive today, the music we could've given us would've blown our fucking minds. The only other guitarist in the world we could say that about would be Jimi Hendrix.

9. The passing of Ronnie James Dio:
The 4 foot dude with a 20 foot voice. You'd have to listen to your Elf, Rainbow, and Sabbath discs in order to understand what a tremendous loss that was. To you, to me, to everyone.

8. KISS going disco:
I still wonder how "I Was Made For Loving You" was left off of the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack. John Travolta could've busted some serious moves to that song. From that point on whenever Gene and Paul would say the words 'rock' and 'roll', it was just irritating. "Gene, quit jacking me off...you want my $10.99? I'll give you twenty bucks right now if you'll just go the fuck away!"

7. Cheap Trick NOT being inducted in the Rock Hall:
Cheap Trick, Alice Cooper are continually snubbed by the RNRHOF in favor of more powerful and legendary rock and rollers like Grandmaster Flash and Madonna.

6. Grunge/Heroine Rock:
This group of crybabies crashed the party in the early 90's. As ridiculous, excessive and cartoonish as it got in the 80's, it was still very positive. It was a booze, blow, and babes party train that got derailed by a pack of sissies who'd rather spend their weekends curled up around the toilet with their pasty, fucked-up skin and pretty eyes. This 'downer music' was introduced to us by way of Seattle, where it rains most of the time, and that reflected in the music. It gave us Soundgarden, Jerry Cantrell, a dark, negative memory, and not much else.

.......I'll be back with the Top 5.....right after these messages!

GAR
08-24-2010, 04:42 PM
DLR rejoining Van Halen for 6 weeks only is up there IMO.

Hip hop. All of it.

David Geffen = CUNT

Axl Rose = Prozac on the rocks

Heroin in Music, any of it

Nirvana

MTV's Real World sitcoms and the destruction of the art medium formerly known as "music videos" these last 20 years

Illegal downloading of music and the lack of its' pursuit by the RIAA to stem the bloodflow

Lack of responsible Executive-level grooming from those "cashing-out" like Jerry Moss and Herb Alpert, and all the DIRECTIONLESS industry cuntsolidation that followed -

#1 disappointment: Van Hagar.

Jesus H Christ
08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
4. The emergence, let alone existence of Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton single-handedly made me believe in the Devil...The only logical reason he became a famous singer is he sold his soul.

10. The deaths of Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg, Sam Kinison and George Carlin. Trust me, these guys were more rock and roll than most musicians I've known.

Great point...

hambon4lif
08-24-2010, 05:31 PM
5. The complete disrespect/ignorance of rock history by the last two generations:When Britney Spears was asked why she did a version of Joan Jetts "I Love Rock'n'Roll" on one of her albums, she told them it was because she "loved Pat Benatar".....Rock music has been spit on like that often, now more than ever. They don't give a fuck where it comes from anymore....it's not like they're going to take it and do anything good with it anyways......

4. The 'political correctness' of it all.....
Once upon a time in a galaxy far away, David Lee Roth used to stand onstage and take verbal swipes at everyone from Quiet Riot to The Clash, and people actually laughed about it. That wouldn't happen now. Nowadays Diamond Dave would be all over the evening news getting crucified by the media and having to explain himself, because, heaven forbid, somebody would get offended. That's what rock and roll (and society) has become filled with...a bunch of thin-skinned pussies who take everything so goddamn personal. Along with all the other good stuff that comes with it, Rock'n'Roll also needs humor....without it, it will just die, and it has a little bit.
Every once in awhile, you'll see a band like Tenacious D or Steel Panther and figure all may not be lost....that at least some bands out there still fucking "get it".

3. Underage Bass Players In Kickass Rock Bands:
If I could, I would put into law that every member of a badass rock band must get laid on a regular basis. ESPECIALLY the rthym section! How are you going to hold down sinister grooves like "Dirty Movies" and "Sinners Swing" when you don't even know how to fuck yet? It affects the music, the attitude....it affects everything!!
Alot of people might argue with me.."Michael Anthony getting laid??!?....C'mon!"
Well, why the fuck not? Somedays even a dog gets a warm piece of the sidewalk, and if you listen to the first four Van Halen albums, it becomes obvious that even little Mikey was getting his freak-on.
If you expect everyone to groove with you....ya' gotta get your feet wet!

.....we'll be right back with the 2 most disappointing moments in the music industry...right after this!

Anonymous
08-24-2010, 06:04 PM
- Eddie V. hiring Sammy Hagar. To be fair, Spambo wouldn't get this much hatred if he kept his fucking mouth shut. The direction Van Halen took after Sammy got in was the direction EDDIE wanted it to go. But Bette had to talk shit about Dave.

- Grunge. Dear Gawd, if you told people in the 80s that it would be cool to be a whiny bum, they would've laffed at you while snorting coke, drinking hard booze & fucking a hooker in the arse with no condom.

- Emo. Dear Gawd, if you told the whiny bums in the 90s that it would be cool to be a whiny little bitch that kinda looks like girly boy, they wouldn't've cared as they were too busy snorting coke & feeling sorry for themselves whilst looking like lumberjacks.

- Hip Hop. Coloured people gave us blues, soul, jazz, but somewhere along the line, they kinda got lost.

- Bands with a message. Sup-par "musicians" with nothing interesting to offer, had to make do with "significant" lyrics.

- Nu Metal. That shit ain't metal, what the fuck? That shit ain't shit!

- U2. Why, God? And you wonder why more & more people turn away from you.

- Teen pop. They're obviously lobbying to make padeophilia acceptable.

- Overpriced concert tickets. The end of an era.

- Ronnie... :cry2:

Cheers! :bottle:

Unchainme
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Michael Bolton single-handedly made me believe in the Devil...The only logical reason he became a famous singer is he sold his soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy2XMYh99js

He tried being Sammy Hagar first. Bruce Kulick actually isn't all that bad on this track. Blows my mind that he tried to be a rock singer first though.

Terry
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
In no particular order:

1. 1985: DLR quits Van Halen

2. 1986-1991: the American hair metal scene

3. 1996: CVH fail to maximize their reunion beyond the 2 BOV1 tracks

4. 1980-1982: KISS (Criss quits, the Elder, Frehley quits)

5. 1970: Jimi Hendrix dies

6. 1980: John Lennon assassinated

7. John Bonham dies

8. Rolling Stones creative output since 1981

9. Randy Rhoads dies

10. Jughead quits The Archies

twonabomber
08-25-2010, 12:51 AM
5. The Key-tar

oh no you din't!!!!

twonabomber
08-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Illegal downloading of music and the lack of its' pursuit by the RIAA to stem the bloodflow

but it's been okay for the labels to rip off their acts for how long?

GAR
08-25-2010, 02:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy2XMYh99js

He tried being Sammy Hagar first. Bruce Kulick actually isn't all that bad on this track. Blows my mind that he tried to be a rock singer first though.

That was an okay tune for the time, but it back then it was too gay - and today its' too weak to call it Metal

GAR
08-25-2010, 02:52 AM
but it's been okay for the labels to rip off their acts for how long?

It's never been okay to rip off artists.

sadaist
08-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Van Hagar.

David Lee Roths slow drift away from making rock music.

Metallica Loads & Re-Loads......blanks.

Steve Perry exits Journey.

Rob Halford exits Judas Priest.

MTV

Nirvana becoming famous and popularizing the grunge movement.

Satellite radio.

Auto-tune for singing..

Boy bands. N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees

Special honors go to Lars Ulrich for shutting down Napster.

Mr Badguy
08-25-2010, 07:39 AM
10: The Punk explosion
9: Skynyrd plane crash
8: Halford "comes out"
7: Def Leppard post 1987
6: Twisted Sister "Come out and play"
5: The Osbournes
4: UFO/Michael Schenker break up (2000s)
3: Dimebag Darrell shooting
2: Blackmore`s Night
1: Melodic rock driven underground

Just a few alternatives.

Seshmeister
08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
1. Congratulations Mrs Hagar it's a girl, no wait a minute, it's a boy.

Seshmeister
08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
8: Halford "comes out"

You GAYIST!

Nickdfresh
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I think Michael Bolton shaming heterosexual men everywhere is worse...

Mr Badguy
08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
You GAYIST!

He did it for publicity just as Priest were launching the Ripper Owens era, rather than for any cause he was, ahem, behind.

Besides, as a wise man once said: "Queering don`t make the world work".

GAR
08-25-2010, 01:31 PM
10: The Punk explosion
Just a few alternatives.

The punk thing didn't really carry over here, back in the 80's because the so-called "punk" fans were mostly a tape-traders' scene.

You saw critics laud it like it was the Golden Days of Music, but the sales didn't support it and I could be wrong, but I believe the Sex Pistols' Bullocks album didn't even go gold in the states until the late 80's.

It's like reading the news everywhere about how many great things Obama has done, but then you watch the real shit go down on CSPAN and the truth is the exact opposite.

That's my recollection anyways. Kids would go out to clubs done up to the nines in the traditional Rejectionist Salvation Army attire, plus those stupid fucking mandated Doc Martens boots (remember those stupid clodhopper things) but that costume was just an act. They didn't buy the hype either.. that costume was for the same "look at me I'm a reject" effect then as it is today.

Sensible Shoes
08-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Hambon - C'mon I'm waiting for the last two - did I miss 'em?

Unchainme
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
In terms of the Heroin Rock V. Hair Metal thing,

I'm of the mind that both were great periods in Rock N' Roll.

I mean with the Hair Metal genre, there was some damn good records that came out from Motley Crue, Ratt, Skid Row and GN'R, etc. Sure you had some shit bands and such come out, but the music is fun to listen to.

With Grunge/Alternative, you had some great groups as well like I mentioned before in AIC, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden. Great songs, and some criminally underrated guitar work by Jerry Cantrell and Kim Thayill.

It's also sort of amusing how they all claim similar influences though, despite killing off the other genre. Cantrell loved EVH and CVH, Cobain and Slash both loved Aerosmith's "Rocks" (which is one of the most underrated hard rock records ever), and Billy Corgan has covered Van Halen before, and written very positively about them. Hell, The Melvins which are as pretty much as grunge can get, were all big KISS fans growing up.

Good Hard Rock to me is all that matters, and that is something that's few and far between these days, you won't ever see something like those two scenes again, thanks to how everything is monopolized. Fuck Clear Channel, Fuck Ticket Master, and Fuck MTV.

BlimpyCHIMP™
08-25-2010, 04:47 PM
STP came out 4 years before grunge, but got the first album shelved for 2 years for political reasons.

GreenBayLA
08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
My personal list:
1 Joe Perry quits Aerosmith 1979
2 Michael Schenker quits UFO 1979
3 DLR quits VH 1985
4 John Bonahm dies/Led Zeppelin breaks up 1980
5 Bon Scott dies
6 Hair Spray Metal Power Ballads
7 Kurt Cobain suicide
8 Vince Neil kills Razzle/Hanoi Rocks
9 Rap/Hip Hop
10 The Clash/Elvis Costello/Euro-pop

+ Randy Rhodes death, KISS post Alive II, Boy Bands/Britney etc.

GreenBayLA
08-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Mine are basically things that upset me when they happened, at the time when Rock n Roll still ruled my world. That's why I didn't put Jimi Hendrix' death or breakup of Beatles etc I was too young to know. When Elvis died I only knew him as a fat guy who played to old ladies in Vegas. I was unaware of young, cool Elvis 'til much later.

I'd like to add death of Phil Lynott to my list...
I haven't seen: Steve Clark Def Leppard, Freddie Mercury Queen or karaoke.

Seshmeister
08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Compare The Clash and Elvis Costello with Hip Hop, Boy Bands or Simon Cowell...

chefcraig
08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Compare The Clash and Elvis Costello with Hip Hop, Boy Bands or Simon Cowell...

Hell, I'd take any two early Costello albums and anything the Clash did up to and including Sandinista! over just about anything else that came out of England between 1977 and 1982, aside from the first three Police albums, Squeeze's Singles – 45's and Under compilation, the first two Pretenders albums and a handful of singles by some one hit wonders of the period.

FORD
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I think Sandinista might have been better as a double album rather than a triple. Some great songs, but a lot of filler. As opposed to the "double" album London Calling, which was solid all the way through. And they could have replaced any one of those filler tracks with the single "This is Radio Clash" and it would have been an instant improvement.

One thing we can probably all agree on though...... The pseudo-Clash album "Cut the Crap" was a complete abortion!:puking-smiley:

chefcraig
08-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I really enjoyed going through the Sandinista! album at the time, as it was pretty fascinating material. I can see how people that loved the straight forward tunes of London Calling would be confounded by the album's reach, which really was sort of loopy in places.

And yes, Cut The Crap was unlistenable. Then again, the Clash started to lose me with Combat Rock anyway.

BITEYOASS
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Digital studio recording

and Pro-Tools

twonabomber
08-25-2010, 10:27 PM
It's also sort of amusing how they all claim similar influences though, despite killing off the other genre.

i still think the labels killed hair metal, instead of the popularly held opinion that grunge killed hair metal. by the time the labels signed the third or fourth wave of hair metal acts, they were so weak (Trixter and Firehouse always come to mind) that the genre was dead. or as some would say later, played out.

oddly enough, this happened to "alternative" as well. the labels all wanted to have "their" version of Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. and again, that's when things went to shit.

wolfsbane
08-25-2010, 11:38 PM
1. Far and away number one is the death of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

2. Townshend's absence from the Who 1983-1995.

3. The Stones after Tattoo You.

4. Metallica after Cliff dies.

5. David Lee Roth's album output after ALAE.

6. The non-release of the original mix of Skyscraper.

7. Most Clapton Albums.

8. Axl Rose after 1994.

9. Sammy Hagar was great before joining VH. Horrible with them.

10. KISS live.

Seshmeister
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I would have thought you would have mentioned the production on the first wolvesbane album. :)

Dave's Bitch
08-26-2010, 03:18 AM
8. Tupac and Biggie die

4. Kurt Cobain's suicide

Replace these two with Dio and Eric Carr's deaths and i would agree with you for the most part.These two however, i just cannot class as disappointing moments in the music industry

Dave's Bitch
08-26-2010, 03:22 AM
10. KISS live.

How so?

78/84 guy
09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
1 Loss of Hendrix
2 Loss of original Skynyrd
3 Loss of Bon
4 Loss of Bonham
5 Loss of Randy
6 Loss of Moonie
7 Dave leaving Van Halen
8 Hip Hop !! Shit still FUCKING SUCKS
9 Top 40 heavy metal stations
10 Aerosmith after 85
Lossing Stevie Ray, Dio & Morrison are up there also !! All of those guy's were way to young.

sadaist
09-02-2010, 02:31 AM
4. Metallica after Cliff dies.

I kinda disagree. And Justice For All was a great album and very heavy. I think what got to them was being millionaires for too long. The longer a musician is rich, the worse their music gets. They lose their hunger, their rawness, drive, motivation. They are more involved with their new house in Malibu and vacationing in Italy sipping wines than sitting in a crappy studio jamming out new tunes and drinking beers.

Green Manalishi
09-02-2010, 06:34 PM
The advent of rap /hip-hop covers all 10 moments for me . That , and the death of Elvis .

Anonymous
09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
The advent of rap /hip-hop covers all 10 moments for me . That , and the death of Elvis .

Elvis had died long before he died... dude didn't deserve to be surrounded by all those shit stains that were only interested in getting on his good side so they could leech off of him. Made him have a fucked up vision of the world that was pure fantasy.

If only someone had slapped the fried banana out of his sandwich, things could've been different.

He had so much, but deserved so much, much more.

Heard an interview of when he came home after serving in the army. In spite of his success up to that point, he just sounded like a well educated boy, referring to everyone as sir or madam. He was so respectful & humble that it even made me cringe while listening to that shit.

Far from the kung fatso that shot Alice.

cheers! :bottle: