Clear All
  • GreenBayLA
    Sniper
    • Jan 2006

Monster Magnet - Mastermind

Hard rock legends Monster Magnet release their 8th album
    this October on Napalm Records.

Magnet songwriter and front man, Dave Wyndorf, describes "Mastermind":

"It's a big, beefy ball of demented anthems and power rock." He says with enthusiasm.

"The music itself is exaggerated and muscular. Like classic rock gone insane! Giant hooks, giant sounds. The rockers are direct and intense. The ballads, trippy and strange. It's guitar heaven."

And the lyrics? Wyndorf laughs. "Well, the lyrics read like a fever-dream of life in the 21st century. Cynicism, optimism, satire, sex, deluded fantasies and dead-on reality. They're all here – sometimes even in the same song!"

"In my world, images, information and emotions tend to intertwine. I’ll describe the smallest details of my personal life in crazy, cinematic terms. When I write, the words play out in my mind like scenes from a movie and that's the vibe I tried to capture on "Mastermind" – rapid-fire emotion. What can I say? I'm having a weird life and I have to write it down that way."

"In the end though," says Dave, "Mastermind ROCKS, and that's what's most important."

Looking forward to this, one of the few heavy bands I still like. Any fans out there?
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by GreenBayLA

Hard rock legends Monster Magnet release their 8th album
    this October on Napalm Records.

Magnet songwriter and front man, Dave Wyndorf, describes "Mastermind":

"It's a big, beefy ball of demented anthems and power rock." He says with enthusiasm.

"The music itself is exaggerated and muscular. Like classic rock gone insane! Giant hooks, giant sounds. The rockers are direct and intense. The ballads, trippy and strange. It's guitar heaven."

And the lyrics? Wyndorf laughs. "Well, the lyrics read like a fever-dream of life in the 21st century. Cynicism, optimism, satire, sex, deluded fantasies and dead-on reality. They're all here – sometimes even in the same song!"

"In my world, images, information and emotions tend to intertwine. I’ll describe the smallest details of my personal life in crazy, cinematic terms. When I write, the words play out in my mind like scenes from a movie and that's the vibe I tried to capture on "Mastermind" – rapid-fire emotion. What can I say? I'm having a weird life and I have to write it down that way."

"In the end though," says Dave, "Mastermind ROCKS, and that's what's most important."

Looking forward to this, one of the few heavy bands I still like. Any fans out there?
    Yeah - but haven't heard them since 'Dopes to Infinity'! I disovered that by chance in a record store back when it came out. I hadn't listened to anything metal for years, but it blew my mind - reminded me of Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult in their 'Secret Treaties' era, but at maximum attack and volume.

I must check out some of their other stuff - had forgotten all about them.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• GreenBayLA
      Sniper
      • Jan 2006

Powertrip is the followup to Dopes... it was their breakthrough CD, not as psychedelic but rock solid.

"Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

One of my stolen heads belonged to Phil Caivano, it recorded most of that album. It was a 1976 JMP 4-input modded by Umanov in NYC.

Cool thing about it was it belonged to Suzi Quattro and still had "QUATTRO" stenciled on the R-hand side in white.

When I notified the shop in Vegas that sold it, the fat greasy amp repair guy goes "oh that was a noisey head, luckily I was gifted enough to rip out the mod and return it to stock"

If you listen to Powertrip you'll notice it wasn't that gainey, or hissey at all. It was a fine amp for a JMP.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
          Sniper
          • Jan 2006

Cool story GAR even though you lost your head.
          Some guy (SG1975 om MM forum) just sold on eBay a vintage-1975-Marshall-50-Watt-JMP-Head- he bought direct from Phil. Hmmm

Here is link to Phil Caivano's gear/home studio setup. 1/07/10 entry.

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

Yup that's where I got mine from. I have a letter he wrote for me describing the amp and who did what to it, paid $550.

Those guys are gear-whores like I used to be, looking at that studio youtube setup. About 2:00 in, he talks about one amp "thanks Matt."

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

I have high hopes for this, as the last record was a real return to reform after a couple of 'treading water' releases.

'Superjudge', 'Spine Of God', and 'Dopes to Infinity' are about as good a rock'n'roll gets, and I really don't believe that any other band sounds anything like MM. Dave Wyndorf is a really undervalued talent.
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Mushroom
                Commando
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
                Hard rock legends...

I remember their big hit back in the late 90's, and I thought of DLR. It was actually a cool tune. But I've heard nothing else. Where should I start?!

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Start with 'Powertrip'.

Then move backwards to 'Superjudge', 'Dopes to Infinity' and 'Spine of God.'

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2006

Latest MM single/video. Ed Mundell has left the band so enjoy last CD w/ him on guitar.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/347M0hcgjcw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/347M0hcgjcw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Super Hero turned Super Villian?
                    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 12-04-2010, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Rebel
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Feb 2004

I ain't picked this one up yet, Powertrip is an awesome album. I've got Spine of God and Monolithic too, they're good.
                      The BLASTFurnace turned me into a bitch

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

I'm slowly getting into this record - a bit of a slow burner.

It's certainly more focussed than their previous two, but not as overtly 'rocking out' either. I wouldn't say its underwhelming, but its certainly a grower.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2006

I hear ya binnie, I've given Mastermind 6 spins or so and only 2-3 songs have kicked in for me. Last CD was a creeper buzz too.

Comment

Working...