PDA

View Full Version : VHND blacklist?

VHscraps
08-29-2010, 06:12 AM
why do the VHND filter out innocuous posts? Is it some kind of dictatorship, or what?

chefcraig
08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
If you have somehow failed to notice, all websites are dictatorships, with rules set by the individual owners. These rules are established for a variety of reasons, ranging from moral beliefs and common decency to legal repercussions. About the only exceptions to this are sites devoted to prurient behavior and Youtube, a site whose "comments" section includes some of the most vulgar and insulting nonsense ever committed to cyberspace.

In the case of the VHND, how about some specificity? What is your point, and what is it supposedly based upon? Did you offer some commentary that you felt to be "innocuous", yet it was removed? Could this posting of yours have been interpreted as being offensive? Merely titling a thread mentioning a so-called "blacklist", then offering one line with two vague and generalized questions hardly states your case.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I always crack up when I watch this "LemonLyman.com" episode:

JOSH
Seems to be a very unusual social structure. For instance, there is leader who seems
to pride herself on her organizational skills and a certain amount of discipline.

DONNA
Right. That's what's called a control freak.

JOSH
[getting visibly upset] Well, she does seems to do an awful lot of scolding. "You've
posted in the wrong place. Stay on topic people. Don't use capital letters. I don't have
time to tell you twice," when clearly, she does have time to tell us twice. But that's
not the problem.

DONNA
No.

Josh clears his throat then begins to read a post on the LemonLyman Board.

JOSH
"Someone need to deal with Josh's planet-sized ego, by teaching him government 101.
Who made him overlord of the Democratic party?" And someone else writes, "Is Josh
delusional, or is he actively trying to destroy the separation of powers?"

DONNA
Well, are you?

JOSH
No.

DONNA
Then turn off the computer, shut these people up, and let's go back to work.

JOSH
I think I need to clarify my original post.

DONNA
Josh, there's a primetime press conference tomorrow and a new energy policy that you
have spent months shepherding down the field, and now, on the one-yard line...

JOSH
Sit down in the chair.

DONNA
Has the pressure for you to get the energy package...?

JOSH
Sit down in the chair.

DONNA
I think you've gone 'round the bend.

JOSH
I'm dictating now. I don't think it falls under the category of "outrageous" to suggest
that I might have friends on the other end of the Avenue who have the phone number of
the GAO. Let me put this more plainly. The White House can get a GAO review of anything
it wants without posing a threat to the separation of powers. And I believe I'll use
capital, lowercase, or Sanskrit, right up until the moment the font police cuff me and
read me Miranda!

DONNA
That'll show them.

JOSH
See, I think these are good people, by and large, but they've come under the thumb of a
dictatorial ruler. So, as with a small, Central American country, my role is to incite
the people to topple her.

chefcraig
08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Another thing to consider is the odd fact that 9 times out of 10, the person that complains about their content being edited or removed at a website is the same person that has offered an irresponsibly offensive or insulting comment to begin with. This complaint is then compounded by vague references to free speech or cries of censorship, statements that the poster uses to deny any culpability or responsibility for the content of the the post in the first place.

GAR
08-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't think I ever posted there, was that Grant from Australia's board, and then he couldn't afford to run it so he sold it to Jeff Hausman?

I think that's what happened. Jeff from Arizona bought the site in 2008 , that's why you see his vanhalenstore.com banners on there.

VHscraps
08-29-2010, 12:05 PM
If you have somehow failed to notice, all websites are dictatorships, with rules set by the individual owners. These rules are established for a variety of reasons, ranging from moral beliefs and common decency to legal repercussions. About the only exceptions to this are sites devoted to prurient behavior and Youtube, a site whose "comments" section includes some of the most vulgar and insulting nonsense ever committed to cyberspace.

In the case of the VHND, how about some specificity? What is your point, and what is it supposedly based upon? Did you offer some commentary that you felt to be "innocuous", yet it was removed? Could this posting of yours have been interpreted as being offensive? Merely titling a thread mentioning a so-called "blacklist", then offering one line with two vague and generalized questions hardly states your case.

Nah - never posted anything that could be construed as remotely offensive, just a response to some other post. I've attempted to make probably less than 6 posts ever on VHND and none of them have ever appeared. I don't use a proxy server. So obviously my IP has been flagged.

Seshmeister
08-29-2010, 01:50 PM
When your posts at a website start being edited or deleted it either means that the place is being run by censorist control freaks or that your views are too out of whack with the ethos of the community to be tolerated.

Either way it's a huge message that you shouldn't post there again.

chefcraig
08-29-2010, 02:10 PM
When your posts at a website start being edited or deleted it either means that the place is being run by censorist control freaks or that your views are too out of whack with the ethos of the community to be tolerated.

Either way it's a huge message that you shouldn't post there again.

That's a solid point, particularly when seen from a business point of view. The site in question is owned by the same fellow that happens to own the VH Store. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to feature commentary that is derogatory to the same artist whose merchandise you are selling, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with removing said commentary if it could effect the status of a business agreement that depends largely upon being in the good graces of that artist.

As Michael Corleone said to Sonny in The Godfather: "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

Southpaw
08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
how bout a lil henry miller with youre huckleberry finn....all moderators are waste products on this website, lets begin...

GAR
08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I've emailed Hausman about the Chickenfoot stuff before, and he does have a point with "you know it's not all about Van Halen."

My only problem with Jeff is he supports Van Hagar and merch's Sammy's crap. Othewise he's a decent poster on all boards and he bought the domain at public Ebay auction price.

So anyone that had a chance, had their chance to keep the board private. Jeff's within his fair realm to be NaziMod or not IMO.

I just don't post there AND Jeff's been a fair poster on the boards and lists I've subscribed to before and know him to be of moderate demeanor. So I don't think he's the type to be censoring every little detail of things.. he's just the right guy to have that domain - which has been supportive of Van Hagar anyways if you look at the Old Topics when Grant ran it.

Also, Hausman like anyone with any sense at all, even going way back has stated a preference for Roth era so I never bothered him about his Hagar-merch.

GAR
08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
how bout a lil henry miller with youre huckleberry finn....all moderators are waste products on this website, lets begin...

I like a third of the admins here, but agree we do need some new blood at the helm to that point.

Southpaw
08-29-2010, 07:25 PM
hey man, im not tryin to save the world or this website, thats Bono's job...im just sayin lets have people write what they want to where they want without trolls policing everything ... yeah we need rules and regs, speakin of regs ... yeah moderators, i tget you..this whole website could be taking place in one single atom in the thumbnail of some dude from another world... anybody got a Parliament?