• Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

First champagne, now 200-year-old beer salvaged in Baltic

First champagne, now 200-year-old beer salvaged in Baltic

(AFP) – 10 hours ago

HELSINKI — Divers salvaged the world's oldest drinkable beer from a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea on Thursday, just days after work began to retrieve dozens of bottles of 200-year-old champagne, local officials said.

"We believe these are by far the world's oldest bottles of beer," Rainer Juslin, a spokesman for the local government of Aaland, said in a statement.

The beer bottles were unearthed from a shipwreck believed to be about 200 years old -- as divers were recovering bottles of what is thought to be the world's oldest drinkable champagne, discovered in July.

The enviable haul, found intact on the seabed at a depth of 50 metres (yards), comes from an unidentified wreck which the Aaland authorities believe sank off the coast in the early 1800s.

"The constant temperature and light levels have provided optimal conditions for storage, and the pressure in the bottles has prevented any seawater from seeping in through the corks," Thursday's statement said.

The champagne bottles alone are estimated to be worth tens of thousands of euros.

Aaland, a semi-autonomous province of Finland, legally owns the contents of the wreck, but has yet to determine what to do with the champagne.

Alright damn it, now I expect Coyote and Golden Awe to get their hands on some of this beer and send it to FORD Country so it can be properly reviewed for the Beercyclopedia. Or at the very least, drink it yourselves and write the review.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

How do they know it was 200 year old beer? Did it have a "Born On Date" of Sept. 1810 stamped on the bottom of the bottle? Why can't they produce beer these days with a 200 year shelf life?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, if you could store your beer 50 metres under cold salt water, with zero exposure to direct light, it probably would last that long. I wouldn't try it with any Bud/Miller/Coors mass produced swill, but if I had a time machine and a scuba tank, I'd experiment with some decent microbrews.

As far as the age of the beer, I'm assuming there's a historical record of the shipwreck, so that's how they would date the beer (and the champagne)
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
        Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Awe, I want the champagne!

Oh dear.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I probably tastes like mermaid pussy.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Yep. As God said after Eve took a swim in the ocean:

"Oh, fuck me. Now how am I going to get that smell out of the fish."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

for your sake, i hope you don't
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shoes, Sensible
                Awe, I want the champagne!
                The empties are worth more than the vinegar in 'em!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Actually, I recall reading where divers brought up bottles of wine from a Dutch shipwreck that was even older (maybe 300 years). They decided to try a bottle. Upon opening, I think it had an unpleasant sulfur smell IIRC. But they said the wine itself tasted delicious...

Comment

Working...