PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

vanhalen1r2
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

Discuss

ELVIS
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
He did nothing wrong...

PETE'S BROTHER
09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
you think he really said "please"?

Seshmeister
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't believe his story for a second. :)

Seshmeister
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
He did nothing wrong...

He did according to Jesus.

hambon4lif
09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
you think he really said "please"?No!

Everyone in my 'Courtesy Class' told me to leave my AK at home.......they said it was "counterproductive"...

Whatever.

hambon4lif
09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't believe his story for a second. :)As far as crime goes, home invasions are the "flavor of the month", so this guys story's not entirely impossible to believe..

Diamondjimi
09-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I would've done the same thing...

Jagermeister
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
He fucked up when he fired at the ground. He should have pushed them to violence then shot them all. It's not hard to get a gang member to go off and do something stupid.

Hey jhale. You work with any gang members?

:biggrin:

ELVIS
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM

How so, you gonna tell me Jesus would have invited them in for their last supper before he blew them all away ??

Igosplut
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
He did nothing wrong...

He did if he lived here. That's assault with a deadly weapon (felony) and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling (misdemeanor). You could also throw in attempted murder (felony) depending how close he shot at them. So, when charged with a felony, they revoke your class A/pistol permit (what you would need to own an AK legally) until the disposition of the case is decided. THEN the police chief in the town of issuance reviews what happened, and if he deems you irresponsible he can revoke it permanently. So basically he would be in FAR more trouble than the gang-bangers that they most likely would only tell to disperse, and only arrest if they hung around and argued with the police.....

ELVIS
09-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but the guy doesn't live in Cape Cod, Fuckin MA!

Igosplut
09-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but the guy doesn't live in Cape Cod, Fuckin MA!

I know, but I bet NY law doesn't differ THAT much. It seems the midwest and south are the only states that you have a legal right to use deadly force to protect property....And there's no gangs here...

Nitro Express
09-08-2010, 02:26 PM
The guy made several serious mistakes. You don't threaten with a gun. NEVER! If you grab it, you better be prepared to use it. The second mistake he made was going outside his home and firing the gun in a threatening manner in the ground. He should have called the police and had the gun ready if they broke into his home. You can only legally use deadly force if your life is threatened. Even here in Wyoming if you shoot someone in your front yard you have a more complicated situation than if you shot them in your home.

In a screwed up place like New York (used to live there by the way) they are going to throw the book at you; especially, for using a gun that probably is illegal to have there.

The best thing he could have done is moved from that shit hole full of gangs and let them kill each other off.

Nitro Express
09-08-2010, 02:32 PM
People need to get it straight what an AK-47 is. It's a select fire assault riffle. Unless it goes full auto when you flick the safety lever in the middle position, it isn't a AK-47. An AK-47 has a milled receiver and was replaced by the stamped receiver AKM. When the Soviets went from 7,62x39 to 5,45x39 the rifle changed again to the AK-74. The Polish have a variant with a three round burst called the Tantal. The semi-automatic versions sold to civilians come from different countries and have different names but can be called Kaloshnikov carbines. The A in AK stand for automatic which the gun you are buying at gun stores are not. They are magazine fed carbines not automatic assault rifles.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
clint eastwood didn't leave

Jesus Christ
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Depends on his intentions. For verily I say unto you that if a man look upon another man with hatred in his heart and thinks of murdering him, then he hath committed that murder in his heart. But self defense is not murder. In this case it would come down to whether the homeowner felt the trespassers were a threat specifically because of their ethnic heritage, which would be a form of hatred, or whether he truly felt as though his family was threatened.

sadaist
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
He did nothing wrong...

Guarantee some hippie group will try to sue him for shooting an innocent lawn.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
or taking the life of an innocent nightcrawler's life

sadaist
He fucked up when he fired at the ground. He should have pushed them to violence then shot them all. It's not hard to get a gang member to go off and do something stupid.

While I tend to agree with you here, people have to remember that shooting at the lawn is much safer than firing into the air. Bullets gotta come down somewhere, and innocent people miles away have been struck down by this very thing. If that ain't a shitty way to go.....

I own guns and have played out in my mind what would happen if I needed to fire a warning shot. Not just for people, but coyotes, mountain lions, etc... Always the lawn. No chance for the bullet to come down on an innocent person, and a very low chance of hitting something hard allowing the bullet to ricochet. Just soft dirt to absorb the shot.

PETE'S BROTHER

that is re-redundant:hee:

sadaist
09-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Actually, don't they just turn into 2 worms when cut in half? He could argue he was actually increasing the nightcrawler population...not depleting it.

hambon4lif
09-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Guarantee some hippie group will try to sue him for shooting an innocent lawn.I'd just tell 'em to get the fuck off my property or else their "ass is grass"!:lmao:

PETE'S BROTHER
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Actually, don't they just turn into 2 worms when cut in half? He could argue he was actually increasing the nightcrawler population...not depleting it.

i'm pretty sure ya end up with two dead halves. and even if he increased the population they would try to hang him for doing it unnaturally or some shit.

Igosplut
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
People need to get it straight what an AK-47 is. It's a select fire assault riffle. Unless it goes full auto when you flick the safety lever in the middle position, it isn't a AK-47. An AK-47 has a milled receiver and was replaced by the stamped receiver AKM. When the Soviets went from 7,62x39 to 5,45x39 the rifle changed again to the AK-74. The Polish have a variant with a three round burst called the Tantal. The semi-automatic versions sold to civilians come from different countries and have different names but can be called Kaloshnikov carbines. The A in AK stand for automatic which the gun you are buying at gun stores are not. They are magazine fed carbines not automatic assault rifles.

The first ones (made between 48 to 51) were stamped receivers.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/ak49.jpg

There are a million variations of the AK, and the last (and most popular)are AKMs

the full name is Avtomat Kalashnikova Obrazets 1947

GAR
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
He fucked up when he fired at the ground.

Hey jhale. You work with any gang members?

RIGHT. What you do, is demand they leave while pulling the trigger, plinking as many as can step in the doorway over the bodies of their MS-13 buddies.

Then you call 1800-clutter and have 'em pick up that shit. Sure, maybe it's a waste of 50 bucks worth of ammunition and a day's bleaching out of the kitchen linoleum, but between the collective offerings in twenty pairs of Dickies cutoff shorts I'm sure there'd be enough to cover it.

Seshmeister
09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
How so, you gonna tell me Jesus would have invited them in for their last supper before he blew them??

You said it... :D

Igosplut
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
RIGHT. What you do, bla bla bla....

No, what YOU do is harass a mother of a soldier over the internet because you're even too cowardly to do THAT in person....

Igosplut
09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Guarantee some hippie group will try to sue him for shooting an innocent lawn.

You're not far off, the feds want to ban all lead ammo on the pretense it's bad for the environment....

knuckleboner
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM

you're damn right he did. Jesus would've used a made in by-God America AR-15.

FORD
09-08-2010, 11:25 PM
you're damn right he did. Jesus would've used a made in by-God America AR-15.

Jesus is Jewish. He probably would have used an Uzi.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo323/bubbanomics/uzi_jesus.jpg