X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Crowdsourcing. Thoughts. Beer. And David Lee Roth

This is probably the one trillionth and one post on the topic of crowdsourcing.

Where did this term originate? Well, by my 2 seconds of research it has been accredited to Jeff Howe in a Wired article, some 4 years ago.

What does it mean? According to the usually fallible Wikipedia, it ”is a neologistic compound of Crowd and Outsourcing for the act of taking tasks traditionally performed by an employee or contractor, and outsourcing them to a group of people or community, through an “open call” to a large group of people (a crowd) asking for contributions.” In effect, what we call in advertising a gang bang.

Is this a good thing? Time will tell if anything good comes from it, but feel free to point me to something that has been done in this manner that has been earth shattering, responsible and can compete with great work that has been done when the responsibility was left to only a few people. To date, I can’t.

So, I got to thinking, have I ever crowdsourced anything?

In the past year, I can count two attempts. Super Bowl Glory (crowdsourcing a Super Bowl spot with 8 advertisers that after being green lighted by NBC, got the red light when a few of their advertisers got pissed off) and BuyABeerCompany.com (it started out as a joke, it really did).

Anything else? Maybe.

The year is 2000. Pre-iTunes/ iPod. Common internet speed? 56kbps.

One of our clients was a guy named David Lee Roth, at the time, former lead singer of Van Halen. The days of his voice framing a summer for the masses were about a decade or so in the past. His last album released, through lots of online promotion we did, sold about 200K albums. That would be 1998. The guitarist (John 5) on that album, who left to play for Marilyn Manson, wrote a song and took existing Diamond Dave audio from years past and created what we now call a mashup.

It was presented to me with a “What do you think?” And… “Can we do anything with it?”

This “song” was called “Look At All The People Here Tonite!” Without a record label, the best case scenario was just putting this up on Roth’s website and be done with it. A “gift” to his fans. That would have gotten a couple of looks, but how to get some traction and maybe a look see by a new record label?

To get played on radio, you pay people to push your song onto the playlists, commonly known as Indies. Costs tons of money. And with deregulation of radio station ownership, you no longer fought in cities, but now had to go to the likes of Clear Channel and deal with their guy and he was programming for dozens of stations across the land. Plus, you would have to go out-of-pocket for promotions (Win a Ride on former Van Halen lead singer David Lee Roth’s Jack Ass!!), etc.

DOA? Usually the artist would involve, to a small degree, the fan base. “Call your radio station and have them play our song,” etc. That requires sending out tons of professionally created CD’s with cool artwork to over 300 stations. But what if you don’t send it and still have the fans call? Hmm.

We created what looked like an album cover, got that out to the fan base of what was coming. Let that circulate and then, a few weeks later, had them contact their local stations to get the song played.

The fans never heard the song. And the radio stations didn’t have the song.

The fans, yes the fans, directed the radio stations to contact the website to receive a special login and download, burn it themselves and play it. Sounds crazy?

With the fan’s desire to hear it, regardless of being good or bad, we turned them into Indies.

This became the first ever single released to radio via the internet and through the power of crowsdourcing, it charted for a few weeks, as high as #35 on rock radio. The end benefit? Roth’s catalog saw a spike in sales and talks opened up with promoters for a nationwide tour, etc.

To me, engaging the crowd, can be a very powerful tool when the crowd benefits, in some degree, as a whole.

Most of what I see, concerns me where the benefit is for a few, diminishing many individuals in the “crowd” to little more than human stepping stones, receiving a paltry “reward” (if any) for their talents.

Michael Migliozzi is the managing partner of the Hollywood, CA based Forza Migliozzi. Forza Migliozzi is an advertising and brand content agency. http://www.forzamigliozzi.com
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Michael moved to Hollywood huh? I thought he was a New Yorker for life?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Clean the wax out of your ears. It's crowd-surfing, not crowd-sourcing.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

I have a headache now....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If there was ever a "catch-phase" for this place that fit to a tee... It don't get any better than this...

(Win a Ride on former Van Halen lead singer David Lee Roth’s Jack Ass!!)
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And I still say my "Swingtown 2000" remix (based on the AssCardinal rumor that Van Halen was collaborating with Steve Miller) was better than "Look At All The People Here Tonight".

I just wished I had burned it to a CD, because (as my shitty luck would have it) the one hard drive I have ever had that went in to total, unrecoverable complete failure, is the one that had that song on it. Not to mention all my pictures of the DLR show from the Gorge in 2002.

Don't suppose anybody out there saved a copy of "Swingtown 2000"??
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...