• Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Humanitarian Organization Allowed to Fire non-Christians

By Daniel Burke
    Religion News Service

(RNS) World Vision, the Christian humanitarian organization, can fire employees who disagree with its theological tenets, a federal appeals court ruled on Monday (Aug. 23).

In a 2-1 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that World Vision is a "religious corporation" and therefore exempt from a federal law that bars faith-based discrimination.

"I am satisfied that World Vision has met its burden of showing that the 'general picture' of the organization is 'primarily religious,"' wrote Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain. "World Vision is a nonprofit organization whose humanitarian relief efforts flow from a profound sense of religious mission."'

Three employees, two of whom had worked at World Vision for 10 years, were fired in 2006 because they did not believe in the divinity of Jesus or the doctrine of the Trinity, O'Scannlain wrote. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 bars religious discrimination, but carves out an exemption for companies engaged in a religious purpose, the court ruled.

Judge Marsha S. Berzon dissented from the majority opinion, saying Congress did not intend to allow all religiously motivated nonprofits to be exempt from the law.

"That interpretation would severely tip the balance away from the pluralistic vision Congress incorporated ... toward a society in which employers could self-declare as religious enclaves from which dissenters can be excluded despite their ability to do the assigned secular work as well as religiously acceptable employees," Berzon wrote.

The decision comes as President Obama is weighing whether the government should help fund religious charities that refuse to hire people of other faiths. White House officials have said the Justice Department is studying the matter, and decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis until a final decision is rendered.

World Vision praised the Ninth Circuit ruling in a statement. "Our Christian faith has been the foundation of our work since the organization was established in 1950, and our hiring policy is vital to the integrity of our mission to serve the poor as followers of Jesus Christ."
    LINK
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Unfortunately, there is some vital information missing in this article. For one thing, was a belief in "the divinity of Jesus or the doctrine of the Trinity" necessary for these people to do their jobs in a proper fashion? I mean it would be one thing if the employees were involved in the day to day administration of these beliefs to the public, it would be quite another thing if they worked in the kitchen as prep cooks or dishwashers, as maintenance people or material handlers. Even so, the decision seems wrong-headed. A job is a job as long as you can do it properly. Hell, I despise tofu and believe vegetarianism to be the work not of the devil, but of nitwits. However, these beliefs have never hindered me from working for health food restaurants as a chef when I needed the money badly enough.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Another example of Christian "tolerance" ... Totally agree w/Craig - if they weren't directly involved in the "ministry" aspect of the gig... firing them is bullshit.
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

World Vision, in reality, is a CIA front posing as a charitable religious organization.

Some interesting names have been linked to "World Vision" in the past. Jim Jones. Mark Chapman. John Hinkley (and his dad). Just to name a few....
        Last edited by FORD; 09-13-2010, 01:33 PM.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Who would want to work for them in the first place? I'm I white, non-muslim guy from Wyoming. If Farakan's black, muslims told be they had no use for my services, I would get it and look for a job more fitting.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            World Vision, in reality, is a CIA front posing as a charitable religious organization.

Some interesting names have been linked to "World Vision" in the past. Jim Jones. Mark Chapman. John Hinkley (and his dad). Just to name a few....
            Ford is always the conspiracy guy. Do you think this whole 9/11 mosque thing is a CIA operation to inflame the middle east situation to justify our wars there. I actually wouldn't put it past them. It's interesting the mosque builder spoke at the Council of Foreign Relations. Why there? This whole thing smells in my oppinion.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• knuckleboner
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

ninth circuit, huh? them's the liberal circuit, too...

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                ninth circuit, huh? them's the liberal circuit, too...
                It used to be

Too many Chimpointed judges in recent years.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  ...Hell, I despise tofu and believe vegetarianism to be the work not of the devil, but of nitwits. However, these beliefs have never hindered me from working for health food restaurants as a chef when I needed the money badly enough.
                  You must have felt very dirty.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    Ford is always the conspiracy guy. Do you think this whole 9/11 mosque thing is a CIA operation to inflame the middle east situation to justify our wars there. I actually wouldn't put it past them. It's interesting the mosque builder spoke at the Council of Foreign Relations. Why there? This whole thing smells in my oppinion.
                    Funny you should mention that. Mike Malloy is talking about this right now You might be on to something here.....

On second thought, this needs its own thread.
                    Last edited by FORD; 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      You must have felt very dirty.
                      To an extent, I did. But the point is that dirt was washed away when I cashed the checks.

Look, we all have to make certain sacrifices in order to put food on the table. If these folks valued their employment while working for a company that expresses a certain ideal or mission statement, perhaps it would have been in their own best interest to keep their mouths shut about ideals contrary. But we do not know if this was even the case.

As I initially stated, there is information vital to the story that is lacking. Did these people do things contrary to the stated core values of the company? Did they wear "Anti-Jesus" T-shirts, or speak aloud of their own personal misgivings while they performed their hired tasks? Or were they made to answer some sort of company questionnaire at one point, designed not to offer example of their work competence, yet to yield a discovery of how deep their faith was?

The thing is at this point, we do not know all of the details. The truth of the employees' firing is still nebulous, while the outcome has been rendered as obvious. Ironically, the devil is in the details. And that side of the story has yet to come to light.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I hear NAMBLA is looking for a good chef...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                          Another example of Christian "tolerance"
                          Wrong as usual. It's a Christian organization and therefore can require it's workers to believe in the Gospel (the only TRUE faith, by the way).

Your argument is like saying nuns don't have to be Catholic.

Or, more up your alley (quite literally), NAMBLA members don't have to be rump-pumping fags like you.
                          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Yeah, but they need a chef, not a taco shell filler...

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

what did jim jones have to do with the BCE? just curious
                              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

Working...