PDA

View Full Version : Need help Wiring Epiphone Goth Explorer

kilkmaru22
09-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I have some emg's and i need help wiring them. I think all i need to know is which wires from the toggle switch go where

twonabomber
09-17-2010, 09:39 PM
real EMG's, or Selects? active or passive?

kilkmaru22
09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Real. 60 and 81. Active

ashstralia
09-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Real. 60 and 81. Active

google 'emg wiring diagrams' mate.
everything you need is there.

Diamondjimi
09-17-2010, 11:34 PM
You might wanna check this out... EMG Forums click here! (http://forum.emgpickups.com/viewforum.php?f=2)

GAR
09-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Everytime I've wired these FUCKING things for someone else, for some reason I've had to call EMG customer service.

Almost always, it's been for a Les Paul, and usually the kit is supplied with shit pots for a Strat.

I call cust serv and go "yeah you know these shit pots" they go yeah, what's your address we'll send you the tall neck pots free with wiring diagram.

I really don't like both the sound of them, or the kit supplied. And you HAVE to change the pots because the pickups when active are low-impedance which means your high-impedance stock potentiometers will NOT work with the EMG's.

That's just the way things are, also since the resistive-path inside the pot limits voltage input not output current, the pots are linear-taper unlike your stock audio-taper pots.

Customer service are used to the abuse they get, they know all the problems that arise so that's my best advice...

VanHalenFan5150
09-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Pay no attention to Gar, all he does is Google things and act like he knows what he's talking about. And then if you make him mad you're put on an imaginary "ignore list". So just don't mind the guy. Google up some EMG Wiring Diagrams and you'll find what you're looking for. :beers8:

indeedido
09-18-2010, 07:19 PM

indeedido
09-18-2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-H-60-81-85_r0230-0014a.pdf

jhale667
09-19-2010, 12:08 AM
IIRC from the gear-slinging days :cool: , unless you special-order them specifically for a Les Paul (duh) , the standard kit comes with 25k pots that will fit ironically enough, a standard solid-body control cavity. Haven't priced the sets in years, but probably cheaper to just buy some long-shaft 25k pots from Stewmac.com in advance...

Used EMGs for a decade or so. Then I began to miss the more organic qualities of passive pickups and switched back...

:guitar:

indeedido
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I put the EMG Zakk Wylde set in a Les Paul and kept them for maybe six months. Same thing, lacked the organic tone. I couldn't hear the wood anymore, they were too sterile. I actually had the ZW Epi camo LP for a while with the passive EMG HZs in it and maple fretboard. It surprisingly had a very woody organic tone. Wish I still had it.

GAR
09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Haven't priced the sets in years, but probably cheaper to just buy some long-shaft 25k pots from Stewmac.com in advance..

Clearly you're not hearing my advisement: if he calls customer service and bitches they will send him the pots free. No charge, he'll get them in a couple days free.

I mean, since when have you ever seen retail the LP set? Like never, right? You worked there, you know what's stocked behind the counter as I do.. it's all "strat" because 90 percent of the time, the end-user's gonna have either a pickguard-loaded thing, like a Strat, or the flat-top rear-mounted cavity style which will take the same kit.

This is why they ship 'em free: less RTV headaches for EMG, less headache for the retailer to shelve a product used 10percent of the time over a similarly-SKU'ed item which works the same way.

jhale667
09-19-2010, 08:28 PM
You presume too much thinking anyone still listens to you at all. And what did you think I meant by "standard" kit - and how is not having extra pots onhand for the job you're already planning to do (and should know you need 'em in advance) a bad thing? Why wait 'til after the fact even if they're free if you want to be ready to install them when you GET the pickups? :duh: