PDA

View Full Version : Member activation option

Igosplut
09-18-2010, 11:55 AM
The admin here really need to enable this option here. You get far too much spam that needn't be if you had this on. And it's not the pain you'd think, it only takes a few minutes to approve people. That, and you get a jump on who's registering aliases also...

Another thing that's a pain is the redirect at the bottom of each page to the forum your browsing takes two clicks to take you back to the forum page. I mentioned this once before, small thing but handy with one click...

POJO_Risin
09-19-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree with the member activation to a point...but it does become a hassle. We've done it before...and it's a pain in the ass. Our mods are actually nailing the spam posts pretty quickly...and as much as Va bitches and moans, there hasn't been much shit to deal with recently.

As for aliases, that's ALWAYS, and will always be an issue. Such is life...part of the fun here at the army. We have a few IP junkies here, and it always comes out...

That said, I may change that feature...we shall see...

Which redirect are you talking about?

POJO_Risin
09-19-2010, 12:08 PM
are you talking the quick nav?

ZahZoo
09-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Yep Quick Navigation needs a go button next to it, rather than having to click, scroll and reselect the forum you just posted in.

Also reorder the quick nav panel so the site areas are at the bottom and your forum listing is at the top. 99.8% of the time users are navigating to other forums rather than editing their profile.

It would seem to me the member activation is a simple review and click. Far less work than banning and moving garbage around.

POJO_Risin
09-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Yep Quick Navigation needs a go button next to it, rather than having to click, scroll and reselect the forum you just posted in.

I'll throw it out there. It's not a bad idea. I don't use the quick nav...so it's not a big deal to me...nor is the double-click aspect. If it's a pain in the ass to add...then it will stay as is. I'm not sure what's going to get done anyways...because of Sarge's situation right now.

Also reorder the quick nav panel so the site areas are at the bottom and your forum listing is at the top. 99.8% of the time users are navigating to other forums rather than editing their profile.

If you keep the Quick Nav on the bottom of the screen...where it should be 99.8% of the time, then it will pop up...instead of down. If it does that, then the forum listings are right where you need them to be.

It would seem to me the member activation is a simple review and click. Far less work than banning and moving garbage around.

That's assuming that every member needs shit moved around. It's nowhere near that. Here's the thing. Many mods here check IP's whether I ask them to or not. While I realize that it's a "simple review" and "click," most newbies aren't an alias, or spammer. How much time is it going to save? 20+ new members a week to simply review and click...as opposed to three or four spammers a week...which is a simple click as well...

seems to even out to me. We've been doing this for a long time...and we've done the member activation, and we'll likely do it when we need it...

Va Beach VH Fan
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I agree with the member activation to a point...but it does become a hassle. We've done it before...and it's a pain in the ass. Our mods are actually nailing the spam posts pretty quickly...and as much as Va bitches and moans, there hasn't been much shit to deal with recently.

I think you're underestimating the amount of spam we get because I get rid of it so quickly....

I wouldn't mind the activation option, if it were someone else besides me doing it....

POJO_Risin
09-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I think you're underestimating the amount of spam we get because I get rid of it so quickly....

I wouldn't mind the activation option, if it were someone else besides me doing it....

No VA...actually...I'm not. I know exactly how much spam we've gotten. Since you've called, I've been watching the log daily...feel free to e-mail me...or call...I'll give you the stats.

chefcraig
09-19-2010, 10:48 PM

I'd be more than willing to pitch in, it's just that you and I tend to log in and out in the mornings in an overlapping fashion, almost redundant in a way. I know vbulletin allows a preemptive manner of doing this, and I've sent you guys details of such an option in the past. Yet if you guys want to go ahead with the activation idea, count me in as willing to assist.

ZahZoo
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
If you keep the Quick Nav on the bottom of the screen...where it should be 99.8% of the time, then it will pop up...instead of down. If it does that, then the forum listings are right where you need them to be.

You are correct it pops up... but it displays the list from the top down... the first 6 options are editing profile, search, etc.

Maybe it's my monitor size or resolution settings but whether it pops up or down I get the Sites Areas and a listing up to about the Front Line viewable. So if I want to go to a forum below it I have to scroll.

I know it's just a simple usability quirk and an old fart like me gets lazy... but the added complexity in forum navigation must be a real pisser for the village idiots and click challenged neadrathals...

POJO_Risin
09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Zahz...

I'm still trying to figure out where we are on the road to donesville. I do think there are still going to be upgrades in the future...and there's really nothing wrong with any of the suggestions you've made.

They do cure several "lazy fucking things that piss us off!"

GAR
09-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I have hermetically encapsulated my own precious fartgassings in sealed bottles for future species' analysis.

Therefore, after the apocalypse and the end of you all here, I shall be reactivated from the DNA in my SecretSCENTS and command thereafter.

(talk about your genie in a bottle eh)

FORD
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
But when you DIE IN A FIRE, that fart gas will level the entire library and probably a 5 city block radius around it.

Igosplut
09-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I have hermetically encapsulated my own precious fartgassings in sealed bottles for future species' analysis.

Therefore, after the apocalypse and the end of you all here, I shall be reactivated from the DNA in my SecretSCENTS and command thereafter.

So coward, are you going to point THIS post out the next time you complain to Sarge about me interrupting your "serious threads"???

Diamondjimi
09-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Seeing as every molecule in your being is comprised of shit, it would seem natural for you to think you could be cloned by your scent.
But seeing as shit does not contain DNA the world is a better place knowing that you will be impossible to clone.
Praise the fuckin lord and pass the goddamn ammunition! :elvis:

Igosplut
09-24-2010, 08:34 PM

As for aliases, that's ALWAYS, and will always be an issue. Such is life...part of the fun here at the army. We have a few IP junkies here, and it always comes out...

That said, I may change that feature...we shall see...

Which redirect are you talking about?

As Zah said, the redirect at the bottom. Used to be one click to go back the forum page.

The approval deal I was speaking from experience as was Zah. For the spam you have to remove it's less energy to approve than delete (yes I realize some months are going to be busier than others with spam) but it helped us so that was why I brought it up.

As for the aliases, that was more of a joke than serious, but it was a good heads up when no one was paying attention...

GAR
09-25-2010, 03:57 AM
One post hooks two member's to thinking about my DNA... huhuhuhuhuhuhuhhhhh

http://www.hji.co.uk/blogs/pictures/Sally-Field-sag.jpg

I dunno.. you two! You LIKE me. You really like me~!!

ZahZoo
09-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Zahz...

I'm still trying to figure out where we are on the road to donesville. I do think there are still going to be upgrades in the future...and there's really nothing wrong with any of the suggestions you've made.

They do cure several "lazy fucking things that piss us off!"

Pojo, Thanks for the consideration... In business terms, I fully understand the current constraints effecting your Change Control board, with limited maintenance windows due to production scheduling and your primary system administrator fully allocated to higher priority, special projects involving human maintenance and repair operations.

ZahZoo
09-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Seeing as every molecule in your being is comprised of shit, it would seem natural for you to think you could be cloned by your scent.
But seeing as shit does not contain DNA the world is a better place knowing that you will be impossible to clone.
Praise the fuckin lord and pass the goddamn ammunition! :elvis:

It's not that complex... it just confirmed it's biological waste. Best flushed and to be forgotten.