PDA

View Full Version : Greg Howe

VanHalenFan5150
09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Any thoughts? I love this guy's method and style. Jazz fusion that rips... I can only dream of playing like this guy. Saw him doing a cover of Punk Jazz by Pastorius with some Asian supergroup. I looked him up and downloaded all his stuff, it's pure talent...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NW0OMOobYk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NW0OMOobYk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ThrillsNSpills
09-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Ascend is the best Greg Howe album. They're all good.
I bought them... didn't steal them.
you realize you're no better than gar when you do that, don't you?

ThrillsNSpills
09-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Greg Howe is a great guitar teacher. One of my friends used to commute to get lessons from him and played me some of the results and the scales he would pull off were incredible and that's considering this guy had only been playing a short time.
I think he is doing webcam lessons now. I never went that route though; I'd just slow stuff down to half speed. One thing I did learn from Greg Howe video lessons was shifting positions in the middle of a scale which enables you not to get stuck in a position playing rut. His album Ascend is more Yngwie like in that he does a lot of harmonic minor stuff (without overdoing it like YM does on his later recordings) . The early Shrapnel stuff is more straight up hard rock with shred; he did a couple albums with his brother on vocals called Howe II. His first album on Shrapnel has Billy sheehan on bass. He did a few with Richie Kotzen which include some Jeff Beck covers (Led Boots) and Rush (la villa strangiato). He really shreds with emotion and solid phrasing.
Tone quality on the early shrapnel albums isn't so hot. (not just with Howe but all their albums, despite having great players).

There's video of him playing with Michael Jackson onstage when he filled in for Jennifer Batten and for a goof wore a platinum blond wig.
I don't know anything about the guitars he plays but it's certainly not a brand you hear of often. They look amazing though.

Matt White
09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Yup...remember him from the halcyon days of SHRED...tasteful player