X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Obama: Democratic voter apathy 'inexcusable'

By BEN FELLER, AP White House Correspondent Ben Feller, Ap White House Correspondent – Tue Sep 28, 7:02 am ET
    WASHINGTON – Admonishing his own party, President Barack Obama says it would be "inexcusable" and "irresponsible" for unenthusiastic Democratic voters to sit out the midterm elections, warning that the consequences could be a squandered agenda for years.

"People need to shake off this lethargy. People need to buck up," Obama told Rolling Stone in an interview to be published Friday. The president told Democrats that making change happen is hard and "if people now want to take their ball and go home, that tells me folks weren't serious in the first place."
    The midterm elections are in five weeks and polling shows that Republicans, out of power at the White House and on Capitol Hill, have a much more excited base of supporters than Democrats. Obama, campaigning this week in four states, is in a sprint to restore the voter passion that helped him win office.

Yet in his attempt to light a fire under supporters, Obama comes across as fired up himself about how many backers fail to acknowledge the progress he sees. He said the glass-half-empty view among many progressive voters can be a debilitating force that distracts them from the real worry: Republicans.

The GOP is poised to win seats in the House, if not control of the chamber, and gain ground in the Senate, too.

"It is inexcusable for any Democrat or progressive right now to stand on the sidelines in this midterm election," Obama said.

The president has been telling Democrats to "wake up" and recognize that he and the Democratic-run Congress have delivered on promises, from a new health care law to tougher rules for Wall Street to more aid for college students. Obama wants disenchanted supporters to see that Republican wins in November would undermine the ability of Democrats to get the unfinished business done,
    from climate change legislation to allowing gays to serve openly in the military.
    Oh that is very important shit...

What emerges in the magazine story is a stern, lecturing tone from Obama.
    How does that make our liberal members feel? I think you all need a stern lecture!

It comes mainly at the end of the interview. Obama had wrapped the lengthy Q-and-A session, according to the magazine, but then returned unprompted to make one more impassioned point and unleash on the enthusiasm gap. He portrayed a clear choice between an administration that despite some warts has helped advance its agenda, and
    a Republican Party that would offer disastrous policies for the economy and civil liberties.

"The idea that we've got a lack of enthusiasm in the Democratic base, that people are sitting on their hands complaining, is just irresponsible," he said in the interview. He said Democrats should be thinking about what's at stake this election "if they want to move forward over the next two years or six years or 10 years."

The Rolling Stone interview was conducted Sept. 17. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the story, titled "Obama Fights Back."

Obama expresses plenty of disappointment over how Republicans made a tactical decision from the start to oppose him, but also offers some "grudging admiration" for its political effectiveness in keeping the GOP united. He said the resulting slog between Republicans and himself — legislative delays and political fighting reminiscent of the Washington he ran against — has worsened public skepticism of government and eroded the feeling of hope that surrounded his election.

The president said he keeps a checklist of his campaign promises and that he has met, by his account, about 70 percent of them.

As for the rest: "Well, that's what the next two years is for, or maybe the next six."

Obama would need to win re-election in 2012 for that latter timeframe to occur.
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Buck up little blue people.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

oh, so now Oblahma is blaming the people ??

LMAO!

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Dean 2012. Yeeeaaarrrggghhh!
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

The message of the day I guess. BUCK UP!

Vice President Joe Biden revises his "stop whining" comment to Democrats with discontent.

"And so those who don't get -- didn't get everything they wanted, it's time to just buck up here, understand that we can make things better, continue to move forward and -- but not yield the playing field to those folks who are against everything that we stand for in terms of the initiatives we put forward," Biden said on MSNBC

Biden is such a dumb fuck.

Comment

• hambon4lif
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
              The message of the day I guess. BUCK UP!

Vice President Joe Biden revises his "stop whining" comment to Democrats with discontent.

"And so those who don't get -- didn't get everything they wanted, it's time to just buck up here, understand that we can make things better, continue to move forward and -- but not yield the playing field to those folks who are against everything that we stand for in terms of the initiatives we put forward," Biden said on MSNBC

Biden is such a dumb fuck.
              Damnit! Somebody beat me to it.....

Biden Doesn't Back Off Warning To Liberals to 'Stop Whining'
              By Michael O'Brien - 09/28/10 06:15 AM ET

Liberals need to "buck up" in preparation for November's elections, Vice President Joe Biden said Monday night.

The vice president didn't back off the notion that disillusioned supporters should "stop whining," a sentiment he uttered on Monday in New Hampshire that drew heavy criticism from liberals in the party.

"And so those who — didn't get everything they wanted, it's time to just buck up here, understand that we can make things better, continue to move forward," Biden said during an appearance on MSNBC, "but not yield the playing field to those folks who are against everything that we stand for in terms of the initiatives we put forward."

Biden was asked by MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell, in the debut of the host's new program, "The Last Word," whether he'd like to retract his admonition to liberals to stop complaining.

"There are some on the Democratic base, not the core of it, that are angry because we didn't get every single thing they want," the vice president said.

"They should stop that," Biden explained. "These guys, if they win, the other team, they're going to repeal healthcare [reform] and I want them to tell me why what we did wasn't an incredibly significant move that's progressive and helping people."

Biden's initial comments drew criticism from self-described members of the "professional left," whom White House press secretary Robert Gibbs had criticized in similar terms to the vice president's.

"You're welcome, Joe Biden, for helping to get the more electable Democrat who actually excites voters to be the Democratic nominee — instead of a lame corporate stooge," said Adam Green, of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, of Biden's remarks.

"How's Blanche Lincoln working out?" he added, referring to the Arkansas Democratic senator the administration had backed against a liberal challenger during a bitter primary campaign.

The administration has been working to shore up the constituencies that propelled President Obama to a historic victory in the presidential election of 2008. But polls show that first-time voters, young voters and labor groups have grown at times ambivalent about the administration's performance in office. The enthusiasm gap between Democrats and Republicans is one of the most important factors in prognosticators' growing sense that the GOP could win back the House this fall.

Obama will be in Madison on Tuesday to rally some of those young voters at the University of Wisconsin, and Biden will be at Penn State to do the same.

Last edited by hambon4lif; 09-28-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by ELVIS
                oh, so now Oblahma is blaming the people ??

LMAO!
                Well at least he didn't blame Bush.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  Well at least he didn't blame Bush.
                  True. But why are they talking to their own base like this?

It sounds like something Sasha and Malia would hear for breaking curfew....

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I was hoping that getting rid of that fucking DLC Likudist turd Rahm Emanuel would signify a change in the Obama/Biden administration where they might start actually listening to the people who put them in office.

This ain't the way to do that. If they had passed an actual health care reform bill, and had restored true FDR financial reforms rather than creating a new shell game under the jurisdiction of the "Federal" Reserve, then Democratic landslides would have been guaranteed in 2010 AND 2012. And probably 5 or 6 elections after that.

I don't think the "Democrats" will lose either majority though, because as spineless and cowardly as they have been, there's no way that a bunch of goddamn lunatic teabaggers like Sharon Angle and Chrissie the masturbating witch are going to be seen as a viable alternative.

Barry & Joe need to learn the meaning of "dance with the ones who brought ya".
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                      and Chrissie the masturbating witch
                      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Jagermeister
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                        Damnit! Somebody beat me to it.....

Biden Doesn't Back Off Warning To Liberals to 'Stop Whining'
                        By Michael O'Brien - 09/28/10 06:15 AM ET

Liberals need to "buck up" in preparation for November's elections, Vice President Joe Biden said Monday night.

The vice president didn't back off the notion that disillusioned supporters should "stop whining," a sentiment he uttered on Monday in New Hampshire that drew heavy criticism from liberals in the party.

"And so those who — didn't get everything they wanted, it's time to just buck up here, understand that we can make things better, continue to move forward," Biden said during an appearance on MSNBC, "but not yield the playing field to those folks who are against everything that we stand for in terms of the initiatives we put forward."

Biden was asked by MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell, in the debut of the host's new program, "The Last Word," whether he'd like to retract his admonition to liberals to stop complaining.

"There are some on the Democratic base, not the core of it, that are angry because we didn't get every single thing they want," the vice president said.

"They should stop that," Biden explained. "These guys, if they win, the other team, they're going to repeal healthcare [reform] and I want them to tell me why what we did wasn't an incredibly significant move that's progressive and helping people."
                        Biden's initial comments drew criticism from self-described members of the "professional left," whom White House press secretary Robert Gibbs had criticized in similar terms to the vice president's.

"You're welcome, Joe Biden, for helping to get the more electable Democrat who actually excites voters to be the Democratic nominee — instead of a lame corporate stooge," said Adam Green, of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, of Biden's remarks.

"How's Blanche Lincoln working out?" he added, referring to the Arkansas Democratic senator the administration had backed against a liberal challenger during a bitter primary campaign.

The administration has been working to shore up the constituencies that propelled President Obama to a historic victory in the presidential election of 2008. But polls show that first-time voters, young voters and labor groups have grown at times ambivalent about the administration's performance in office. The enthusiasm gap between Democrats and Republicans is one of the most important factors in prognosticators' growing sense that the GOP could win back the House this fall.

Obama will be in Madison on Tuesday to rally some of those young voters at the University of Wisconsin, and Biden will be at Penn State to do the same.

Joe I would be the first to yield if that goddamn bill had done a thing for me. So far it hasn't. My insurance fucking sucks as so does that of many people I know. Many of the people that work for me are part time and have no insurance. Even if it was offered they couldn't afford it. Fuck the health care bill. Help my ass!

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by FORD
                          I was hoping that getting rid of that fucking DLC Likudist turd Rahm Emanuel would signify a change in the Obama/Biden administration where they might start actually listening to the people who put them in office.

This ain't the way to do that. If they had passed an actual health care reform bill, and had restored true FDR financial reforms rather than creating a new shell game under the jurisdiction of the "Federal" Reserve, then Democratic landslides would have been guaranteed in 2010 AND 2012. And probably 5 or 6 elections after that.

I don't think the "Democrats" will lose either majority though, because as spineless and cowardly as they have been, there's no way that a bunch of goddamn lunatic teabaggers like Sharon Angle and Chrissie the masturbating witch are going to be seen as a viable alternative.
                          Barry & Joe need to learn the meaning of "dance with the ones who brought ya".
                          I don't know about that. While I do not understand WTF anyone sees in those two apparently it's enough to give them a chance. Many other races yet to be won or lost. That Chrissie chick doesn't stand a chance IMO which is kinda fucked up on the part of the voters. So much for no one voting in primaries. You know all the mud slinging that goes on during these races tends to make voters numb to it. You never know who's telling the truth. She must have done something right to win. I don't know what though.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

This administration is a total joke...

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              This administration is a total joke...
                              Have you seen anyone helped by that bill? Anyone at all?

Comment

Working...