X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Dumb Question About Ed...

I suppose it's probably been asked and answered before, but I don't feel like hunting...I was going through some of my old music stuff from back in the day the other night and came across a 2 Live Crew cassette of "As Nasty As They Wanna Be"...did Ed ever make any comments pro or con back in the day of the Ain't Talkin Bout Love riff that they used?

Just curious if anybody remembered...
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I just remember the Jamie's Cryin' sample of drums and guitar that they weren't contacted over. Tone Loc?
    Ed or their lawyers contacted them and they thanked the band on their album.

I've never even heard the Aint Talkin bout Love lift.

Can't they come up with their own fuckin' beats though?? seriously

In 1989, Van Halen sued rap group The 2 Live Crew for stealing the riff from this for their song "The F--k Shop" (The Clean Version was called "The Funk Shop.").
    Last edited by ThrillsNSpills; 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Never knew about the 2 Live Crew thing. Wonder what he thought of Apollo 440, 'Aint Talkin ' Bout Dub'? It doesn't kick in until around 1.06.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jc9e2QWINGo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jc9e2QWINGo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Dan
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

As a result of the controversy, As Nasty As They Wanna Be sold over two million copies. It peaked at #29 on The Billboard 200 and #3 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. A few other retailers were later arrested for selling it as well, including Canadian Marc Emery who was convicted in Ontario in 1991, and would later gain fame as a marijuana activist. Later hard rock band Van Halen sued over an uncleared sample of their song "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" in The 2 Live Crew Song "The Fuck Shop". The publicity then continued when George Lucas, owner of the Star Wars universe, successfully sued Campbell for appropriating the name "Skywalker" for his record label, Luke Skyywalker Records. Campbell changed his stage name to Luke (and changed the record label's name to Luke Records) and the group released an extremely political follow up album, Banned in the USA after obtaining permission to use an interpolation of Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A. The 2 Live Crew paraphernalia with the Luke Skyywalker or Skyywalker logos are usually sought after as collector's items.

And More.

During this time the lawsuit brought about by the copyright owners of "Oh, Pretty Woman," went to the Supreme Court. The Crew had parodied the original on the album As Clean As They Wanna Be without permission. The Supreme Court adopted a rule from an earlier Ninth Circuit case Fisher v. Dees. 794 F.2d 432 (9th Cir. 1986) involving Rick Dees, and ruled that The 2 Live Crew's parody could be fair use.[4]

BTW......I Dont Have A Link For This Information.
        Last edited by Dan; 10-01-2010, 12:43 AM.
        First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Little Texan
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

They also sampled Sweet Child O Mine.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmK1FV2os8s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmK1FV2os8s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dan
            BTW......I Dont Have A Link For This Information.
            How rude!!
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

I hate to say it, but after listening to it again, I STILL laugh my ass off listening to that album...really brings my school days back into full perspective...were I Ed, I'd have been proud that it was used so prominantly; oh, I'd have still sued the hell out of them, but I'd have enjoyed it anyway...
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

If someone thieves (samples ) music they should pay...
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...