Clear All
  • Northern Girl
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Dave's sister to make a Van Halen Lullabye album

David Lee Roth’s Sister Creates Rockin’ Lullabyes
    Oct. 14 2010 - 9:28 pm | 208 views | 0 recommendations | 0 comments
    By KYM MCNICHOLAS

David Lee Roth, lead singer of Van Halen, used to be known as the only musical one in the Roth family. His sister, Lisa Roth, never really considered herself musically inclined. Ballet was as musical as shot got, until about three years ago.

She was shopping for a baby gift, and couldn’t find anything she thought would be the perfect gift for her friend. She thought, “What if there was a gift that would benefit the parents and the child?”

Music came to mind first, since at the time she was working for CMH Records, a label that focused on blue grass and classic country music.
    She thought it would be a great gift.

“But most of the lullabyes out there, I wouldn’t think parents could relate to or enjoy hearing them over and over again. But their favorites songs, I figured they would.”

So, she approached her boss, David Haerle about creating lullabyes based on a parent’s favorite singers and bands. Rock-A-Bye Baby features recognizable music from nearly 30 artists, from Metallica to the Rolling Stones. Even country stars such as Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, and Garth Brooks are featured.

“It’s more for the parent than the child but it calms the child at the same time,” explains Roth.

But it’s not an easy process taking a rock song and turning it into a lullabye. First, they have to license the music. Then they have to go through the music, note by note, and take it down a few notches to make each song suitable for baby. The songs have to be slowed down, but they don’t lose the recognizable melody. The reverb is cut down significantly. There are no vocals. No loud steel guitars. And no drums.

Instead, they use the glockenspiel, the mellotron, bells, and wood instruments. Sometimes you’ll hear a bird or even a frog.

“We really try to make each song magical. I like to say we add a little sparkling pixy dust to make each special,” says Roth.

The formula works. Rock-A-Bye Baby accounts for about 65% of CMH Label Group’s revenues.

Celebrities have talked about buying Rock-A-Bye Baby in People Magazine and US Weekly. The series was also featured on TV show, “Gilmore Girls.”

“When I knew I’d really hit something right was when I saw an interview of Kurt Hammett of Metallica talking about playing it for his child, and he said that it works.”

CLICK ON THE VIDEO BELOW to hear more from Lisa Roth about Rock-A-Bye-Baby and how a psychic predicted her fate, despite her resistance to jumping into the music industry.

(in the video, she says she is going to make a Van Halen CD)

She's cute. Never seen her before.
    Same ole song and dance...
  • diamondsgirl
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
    David Lee Roth’s Sister Creates Rockin’ Lullabyes
    Oct. 14 2010

(in the video, she says she is going to make a Van Halen CD)
    Thanks NG!

I have no more babies, but I'll buy it! Just because.

Actually, a VH Lullabye disc would be the perfect gift for me to give to my friends who are still pushing out pups.
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Well there you have it... the next Van Halen album in 2011... rumor confirmed.

Not much of a stretch for the title... And the Cradle Will Rock...

I'll bet their number one single will be a hit among women having difficulty breast feeding... Pump!! Might as well Pump... Pump!! Can't you see me standin here I got my tit against the pumping machine... Pump!! Might as well Pump...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Northern Girl
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
        Actually, a VH Lullabye disc would be the perfect gift for me to give to my friends who are still pushing out pups.
        That's what I was thinking...I hope it's out b4 June...if not I'll go with Guns N Roses...Welcome to the Jungle baby!!!

Comment

• Northern Girl
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          Well there you have it... the next Van Halen album in 2011... rumor confirmed.

Not much of a stretch for the title... And the Cradle Will Rock...

I'll bet their number one single will be a hit among women having difficulty breast feeding... Pump!! Might as well Pump... Pump!! Can't you see me standin here I got my tit against the pumping machine... Pump!! Might as well Pump...
          LMAO! No shit...the thought crossed my mind too...

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
            Foot Soldier
            • Jan 2004

She was also responsible for "Strummin' With the Devil" too.
            I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
              She was also responsible for "Strummin' With the Devil" too.
              Another disc I'll be avoiding!

Comment

• Northern Girl
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Just archiving this for myself...
                Last edited by Northern Girl; 10-16-2010, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Oh dear.

Not cool, not cool at all.....
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by binnie
                    Oh dear.

What is not cool, Bennie?

Would you have not liked to listen to lullabies like the one's Lisa Roth is creating when you were an infant and toddler?
                    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                    sigpic

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                      Oh dear.

What are you expecting, chief?

These aren't hell bent rock stars in their 20's/30's anymore... they're producing products we can purchase for our grandchildren!!
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Blaze
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Lisa is not, nor never was a "rock star". Oo

She is creating contemporary lullabies.

You do know that people are not grown in cabbage fields, correct?
                        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                        sigpic

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          These aren't hell bent rock stars in their 20's/30's anymore... they're producing products we can purchase for our grandchildren!!
                          Technically, it's a relative of the rock star putting this out. Is the album a cash grab? Possibly, but not nearly as shameless as some done in the past...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

You have to be kidding me !!! Come on Dave's sister, give me a break !!!! Stupid.

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Why is it stupid?
                              Do you people stick your children in a closet like a mushroom?

VH is not the first production for Lisa...

Of course, perhaps you would like it better if Hagar era was being recreated to be embedded into the next generations sub-conscious.
                              Just saying...

Of course we could just keep the Lullabies from the 1700's as that is the time period of most lullabies.

Then when we are dead in our graves, and our children's children are toddlers, the children can sing about the black plague from the 1700's
                              Last edited by Blaze; 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...