• Show
Clear All
  • gslinger
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2004

Van Halen 1974 – 2004, RIP

GSlinger’s Review of Van Halen’s 2004 New Tri-Tracks Release – June 7, 2004
    ------------------------
    I am not being critical here or bashing Van Halen for any form of self-serving interest. Being a major fan since ’77, if VH's new material was great, I would be the first to emphatically state this fact. That said, these three new Van Halen releases, being “It’s About Time”, “Up For Breakfast” and “Learning to See” are some of the worst new material I have ever heard released from a Nationally established rock-band in my 35 years in this business. All three of these new tracks are poorly thought out, have atrocious lyrics, are structurally a mess, and are feebly represented by the band’s musicians. They are a total embarrassment to what this band once was.

This small composition of work released by Van Halen, along with my full video review of the Band’s complete June 1, 2004 live Dress Rehearsal at Sony Studios, clearly reflects that the last chapter to this band, in its present form, has been written. Ex-frontman, David Lee Roth should thank the Lord he was not involved in this band’s disgraceful, and frankly disgusting, final chapter. Van Halen 1974 – 2004, RIP
    <center>Accept Only Van <strike>Halen</strike> Roth Classic!
    "Everyday becomes a better Diamond Dave day"</center><center>http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6002/03Way.jpg
    </center><marquee><b><font color=Blue><size=+4>The 2004 Spammy “Eat It & Puke” Van ReHash Tour * Coming to a "This Suit is You" Store In Your Tiny Little Neighborhood. Brought to you by the Hemlock Society, Underground Bulemics United, PUTR - People for the Unethical Treatment of Rockfans, & a Special Message from Eddie & Alex Van Halen - Fuck you guyssss!!!!! </size></font></b></marquee></font>
    <center>
    "Those cats had me so beat down & confused, made the cancer seem like a tiny zit on my ass..I don't have a clue what's going on"-EVH</center>
    <center>Click>"Hot Chicks for Dave" & "Dave’s Cavalcade of Bimbos"</center>
  • lztom
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gslinger
    GSlinger’s Review of Van Halen’s 2004 New Tri-Tracks Release – June 7, 2004
    ------------------------
    I am not being critical here or bashing Van Halen for any form of self-serving interest. Being a major fan since ’77, if VH's new material was great, I would be the first to emphatically state this fact. That said, these three new Van Halen releases, being “It’s About Time”, “Up For Breakfast” and “Learning to See” are some of the worst new material I have ever heard released from a Nationally established rock-band in my 35 years in this business. All three of these new tracks are poorly thought out, have atrocious lyrics, are structurally a mess, and are feebly represented by the band’s musicians. They are a total embarrassment to what this band once was.

This small composition of work released by Van Halen, along with my full video review of the Band’s complete June 1, 2004 live Dress Rehearsal at Sony Studios, clearly reflects that the last chapter to this band, in its present form, has been written. Ex-frontman, David Lee Roth should thank the Lord he was not involved in this band’s disgraceful, and frankly disgusting, final chapter. Van Halen 1974 – 2004, RIP
    Amen to that. Everyone should do themselves a favour, get the first six records, listen to them, love them, never get bored of them, appreciate them and accept the sad sad fact that it's now impossible for any addition to be made to this unrivalled collection of rock music. This Edward Van Halen is a fruitcake now pure and simple; he should retire from public life now like Reagan did and try to keep at least a tiny shred of dignity and some of his once invincible reputation.
    Last edited by lztom; 06-08-2004, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I agree GS. I think Dave was wise to stay away from this abortion.

Comment

• Lou

Wrong title. Should have been Van Halen 1974-1985 R.I.P., exhumed in 1996.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
          Commando
          • May 2004

Gslinger, you are right on, I tried to keep an open mind myself, but these tunes are terrible. And Roth is better off not being a part of this mess. True VH fans understand the chemistry that DLR and Ed had. The creative tension Roth brought to the band is gone and these new songs prove it. VH is in the comfort zone with Mr. Hagar. Ed has no one to push his creative buttons. Roth lit a fire under Ed's ass, just listen to Me Wise Magic. Hagar is a YES MAN. Your coverage of this Quote- unquote reunion has been great. Please keep up the good work. It is a pleasure reading your posts.

Comment

• lms
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

Never give up hope you fans of Roth. Dave is looking better than he has in years. IMO.

Maybe once Ed gets out on the road and out of the fantasy land 5150 must have become for him these past years he has spent hiding from reality there he will realize that those three releases do not actually qualify as music. Maybe this tour will get his blood pumping hard enough to reach his brain again, and the dissappointment from this flop of a tour will fuel his drive to go out in a blaze of glory, and him and Dave will at last be able to resolve and reunite.

And maybe I will win the lottery tomorrow. Hey, it could happen. (If there is a thunderstorm though, I think I will play it safe and stay inside.)
            "Remember, life is just a game and no one gets out alive"

Comment

• lztom
              Head Fluffer
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lms
              Never give up hope you fans of Roth. Dave is looking better than he has in years. IMO.

Maybe once Ed gets out on the road and out of the fantasy land 5150 must have become for him these past years he has spent hiding from reality there he will realize that those three releases do not actually qualify as music. Maybe this tour will get his blood pumping hard enough to reach his brain again, and the dissappointment from this flop of a tour will fuel his drive to go out in a blaze of glory, and him and Dave will at last be able to resolve and reunite.

And maybe I will win the lottery tomorrow. Hey, it could happen. (If there is a thunderstorm though, I think I will play it safe and stay inside.)
              Agree with you on Roth, he has a modern image that works well for him now.

As for Eddie, I think the best thing that he could do, and this is no joke, is play that guitar festival with Clapton that's coming up. Maybe then Clapton would get him checked into that Crossroads Rehab centre he has going. I think something like that is his only hope at the moment. He shouldn't be going out on the road in the state he's obviously in at the moment.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                Commando
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by gslinger
                ...This small composition of work released by Van Halen, along with my full video review of the Band’s complete June 1, 2004 live Dress Rehearsal at Sony Studios, clearly reflects that the last chapter to this band, in its present form, has been written. Ex-frontman, David Lee Roth should thank the Lord he was not involved in this band’s disgraceful, and frankly disgusting, final chapter. Van Halen 1974 – 2004, RIP
                Me Wise Magic kinda takes on a new light these days, doesn't it?

Can't Get This Stuff No More too, for the matter.
                <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• L.S.D.

Originally posted by Warham
                  I agree GS. I think Dave was wise to stay away from this abortion.
                  You mean he chose to stay away? Not that they didnt want him?

Comment

• gslinger
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

We are not dead!!!!!!! Cast a spell on that asshole, please Wicked Witch, pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

----------------------------
                    Pic courtesy of Wooda:
                    "Everyday becomes a better Diamond Dave day"</center><center>http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6002/03Way.jpg
                    </center><marquee><b><font color=Blue><size=+4>The 2004 Spammy “Eat It & Puke” Van ReHash Tour * Coming to a "This Suit is You" Store In Your Tiny Little Neighborhood. Brought to you by the Hemlock Society, Underground Bulemics United, PUTR - People for the Unethical Treatment of Rockfans, & a Special Message from Eddie & Alex Van Halen - Fuck you guyssss!!!!! </size></font></b></marquee></font>
                    <center>
                    "Those cats had me so beat down & confused, made the cancer seem like a tiny zit on my ass..I don't have a clue what's going on"-EVH</center>

Comment

• lms
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2004

I like Eric Clapton.
                      "Remember, life is just a game and no one gets out alive"

Comment

• gslinger
                        Foot Soldier
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by lms
                        I like Eric Clapton.

Geeeeeee, what can you say! But people bash Dave re bad shows, I have seen Eric put on some real stinkers, from the Cream days on.

Hey, if you have not seen "Concert for George" (11/29/2002) that Clapton put together and also played, you have missed a historic treat. That thing is just awesome! I have never been a Beatles fan, but he and Jeff Lynne together do some killer stuff.

Check out the on-line video of Clapton here:

Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 marks the 35th Anniversary of George Harrison and Ravi Shankar&#8217;s Concert For Bangladesh. The event took place on August 1st 1971 at New York City&#8217;s Madison Square Garden, and featured performances by George, Ravi Shankar, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Leon Russell and Billy Preston. Madison Square Garden will celebrate [&#8230;]
                        <center>

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by L.S.D.
                          You mean he chose to stay away? Not that they didnt want him?
                          Inside track is that Sam was second choice, or really last choice, for this whole deal. Not that you give a damn about the truth, but it all ties back to the 2000 sessions with Dave... the later issues of it all falling apart over the brothers screwing him over royalties coming to light, etc.

Dave built the franchise and won't come back for peanuts, bottom line, unlike the hired hand front man on this drizzling sh*ts of a "tour".
                          <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• gslinger
                            Foot Soldier
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by RogueHorseman
                            Inside track is that Sam was second choice, or really last choice, for this whole deal. Not that you give a damn about the truth, but it all ties back to the 2000 sessions with Dave... the later issues of it all falling apart over the brothers screwing him over royalties coming to light, etc.

Dave built the franchise and won't come back for peanuts, bottom line, unlike the hired hand front man on this drizzling sh*ts of a "tour".
                            ----------

This ol' boy always cares about the truth!

Yelp, I know exactly what is going on here, not to be caviler. Funny how things work.......Roth is sitting "high and dry" and in the best spot possible.

Just counting down the days when Diamond Dave gets that $1 million phone call from CCC/WMG and the Van Halen boys can't do squat about it!

I can hear Diamond now when he gets the mercy/bailout call.....wellllllll I'm kinda of business, Trixie's here and I gotta go check the air in my big wide whitewalls on my '51 Merc.....can I call you back laterrrrrrrrr! LOL

-------

PS: Of course RogueHorseman your avatar is near and dear to my heart! Took me nine years before I would go and see Stevie's grave.
                            <center>

Comment

• lms2

So, gslinger, thursday or friday you were saying you were going to fill us in on all the gossip about the memorial day party insinuating that Dave was up to something. I have been waiting. Are you gonna fill us in? Do you really think Dave will be joining VH again?

Comment

Working...