PDA

View Full Version : Sparky Anderson in hospice care.

BITEYOASS
11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Sad-news-Sparky-Anderson-is-being-treated-for-d;_ylt=Amen9Ytq0sKEr6aPQcfW0TIRvLYF?urn=mlb-282206

Sad news: Sparky Anderson is being treated for dementia

By David Brown

Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson has been put into hospice care at his home in Southern California because of complications from dementia.

His family released a statement (via MLB.com:)

"The Anderson family — wife, Carol; sons Lee and Albert; and daughter Shirley Englebrecht — wishes to express appreciation to all friends and fans for the support and kindness they have shown throughout Sparky's career and retirement," the statement read.

"The family is particularly grateful for the respect for privacy the national and local media has demonstrated during this trying period."

Everybody dies someday, of course, but dementia is a form of torture — not only for the sick person but also for family and friends. I've always imagined it as a mental form of ALS. Contemplating Sparky Anderson losing his sharp mind ... it's quite depressing.

Sparky managed the Cincinnati Reds during their legendary "Big Red Machine" period, winning the World Series in 1975 and 1976 with Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez and George Foster. Nobody can remember any of their pitchers because Sparky — nicknamed "Captain Hook" — was always taking them out.

He also managed the Detroit Tigers, winning the World Series in 1984 with one of the most dominant teams — they started the season 35-5 — in my baseball memory. Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson and Jack Morris were among the stars.

Sparky always seemed older because of his fabulous head of white hair, but he's only 76. Few baseball personalities have ever been as engaging and energetic as George Lee Anderson. The dude could talk and talk baseball like nobody else.

His career record: 2,194-1,834 — sixth all-time in victories. As important, he sure seemed to love his players, such as Dave Concepcion (above).

Sparky also had one of the oddest playing careers I've ever noticed; As a rookie, he played a full season with the Philadelphia Phillies in 1959, batting .218/.282./.249 in — are you ready? — 527 plate appearances!

Presumably, manager Eddie Sawyer kept playing him because of his fielding at shortstop. Also presumably, Sparky never played another moment in the majors because Sawyer only managed one game in 1960. Hey, it got Sparky this Topps card!

In late 2009, he was part of the 25th anniversary celebration of the champion Tigers. Not only were the Tigers fortunate to have Ernie Harwell there for the party, but Sparky as well. You can see signs in this video of him deteriorating. But he's still kind of "there" and certainly full of joy for baseball.

He was such a good character, he even played himself well on TV. They built an entire episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" around Sparky.

Maybe not quite like Lee Elia, but Sparky could rant at the press, too (NSFW). And he could also hold a civil conversation with Charlie Rose on PBS.

This is going to be the toughest part of his life. Here's to more good days than bad.

High Life Man
11-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Sad. Saw Sparky many times as a kid.

Seshmeister
11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
It's a damn shame for anyone to get dementia not least because I think they will have a cure or at least very good treatment for it in 10 years time or so...

Seshmeister
11-04-2010, 12:44 PM
It's a damn shame for anyone to get dementia not least because I think they will have a cure or at least very good treatment for it in 10 years time or so..

Seshmeister
11-04-2010, 12:44 PM
It's a damn shame for anyone to get dementia not least because I think they will have a cure or at least very good treatment for it in 10 years time or so.

Seshmeister
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
What a shit joke... sorry. :)

Bob_R
11-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson has died. He was 76.

Family spokesman Dan Ewald says Anderson died from complications from dementia.

Anderson guided the Cincinnati Reds to World Series championships in 1975 and 1976 and then led the Detroit Tigers to the 1984 title.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=12057086

POJO_Risin
11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow...the Great Sparky Anderson...

Man...that fucking sucks...

If not the best manager I ever did see...one of the top three...

Here's to ya' Sparky...my guess is you're in a fucking better place than fucking dementia...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-04-2010, 10:36 PM
People talk about the Rangers and the Yankees and the lineup they had....

Shit, the Big Red Machine was just that.... That fucking lineup was brutal....

Diamondjimi
11-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Sparky, puttin it straight...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgJ2jFVp1bc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0 xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgJ2jFVp1bc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0 xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

R.I.P.

TFM_Dale
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Wow...the Great Sparky Anderson...

Man...that fucking sucks...

If not the best manager I ever did see...one of the top three...

Here's to ya' Sparky...my guess is you're in a fucking better place than fucking dementia...

Can't say it better myself so why try. RIP Sparky.

SilvioDante
11-05-2010, 06:04 AM
People talk about the Rangers and the Yankees and the lineup they had....

Shit, the Big Red Machine was just that.... That fucking lineup was brutal....

The Tigers in the mid 80's weren't half bad either. Whitaker, Trammell, Gibson, Parrish, Morris, Johnson. Not the Big Red Machine, but that team ruled the AL for a few years....

Met Sparky at an exhibition game in Evansville, IN, home of the AAA minor league affiliate of the Tigers. Just a kid at the time, but he very nice to me and the other kids...

Will be missed...

Green Manalishi
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Growing up a Cardinals fan in the '70's , I saw Sparky Anderson a number of times when the Reds would roll into town .

Outside of the Cardinals' Red Schoendienst , Sparky Anderson was the first manager that I recognized and remembered as such .

I grew to respect Sparky , especially during and because of the Big Red Machine in the mid - '70's . He was always a great interview ,

very knowledgeable , and great baseball stories . Sad . He will be missed by this ol' baseball fan .

Va Beach VH Fan
11-08-2010, 05:58 PM
The Tigers in the mid 80's weren't half bad either. Whitaker, Trammell, Gibson, Parrish, Morris, Johnson. Not the Big Red Machine, but that team ruled the AL for a few years.....

Good lineup as well, but can't compare to Bench, Rose, Morgan, Pérez, Concepción, Foster, Griffey, and Gerónimo.....

And, by the way, this is coming from a fan of a team during the same timeframe that had Clemente, Stargell, Parker, and Oliver....

POJO_Risin
11-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Al Oliver may be the most underrated player in the history of fucking baseball.

It's a fucking tragedy not only that he's not in the hall, but not even a factor in the voting. He's every bit the player Don Mattingly was...if not more...

Green Manalishi
11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Al Oliver may be the most underrated player in the history of fucking baseball.

It's a fucking tragedy not only that he's not in the hall, but not even a factor in the voting. He's every bit the player Don Mattingly was...if not more...

I always felt that way about Curt Flood . Todays current Major League Baseball players owe him a HUGE debt of gratitude .