X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

MSNBC suspends Olberman

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

He ripped FOX owner Murdoch a few months ago for donating to Republican candidates. Stating FOX are shills for the GOP.

I wonder how that hypocrisy sandwich tastes today?

Shaping up to be a great week.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Hypocrisy? Not quite. Olbermann doesn't OWN the network, and as an employee he could contribute to any campaign he chose. It apparently wasn't prohibited by his contract, his boss is pissed because he didn't say "Mother may I"? Please.

Word is already he may not be back...hmm, wonder if he'll be an unannounced "special guest" on Bill Maher tonight?

Explore creative careers in graphic design, copywriting, social media, marketing, communications, video. Post your creative job today and reach the best talent in media, advertising, and publishing.
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
        Hypocrisy? Not quite. Olbermann doesn't OWN the network, and as an employee he could contribute to any campaign he chose. It apparently wasn't prohibited by his contract, his boss is pissed because he didn't say "Mother may I"? Please.
        Exactly.

Rules are rules, though. Just because over 30 FOX personalities donated their time and money to endorse their candidates doesn't mean MSNBC should be able to do the same.

I think he'll be back. Some of wondering, though, if the Comcast/NBC merger may have anything to do with him coming back, I have no idea why or why not....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Comcast is an extremely right wing company, and this Devil has no doubt that this is the first of many assaults against MSNBC's evening lineup from the extreme right.
          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

I think he'll be back. Some of wondering, though, if the Comcast/NBC merger may have anything to do with him coming back, I have no idea why or why not....
            Originally posted by Satan
            Comcast is an extremely right wing company, and this Devil has no doubt that this is the first of many assaults against MSNBC's evening lineup from the extreme right.
            You should have seen how disproportionate the political ads were on Comcast cable in this area. Comcast runs their own ads, which are sold to advertisers and placed over national ads in the most amateurish way possible (the commercials often begin well after the national ad has started, and tend to cut off abruptly). The Comcast Republican ads ran roughly 2 to 1 over ads for Democrats. The company's ham-handed way of doing business can only lead to problems for NBC in the future.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              FORD prepare for my whoo-hoo spam-fest when I have a chance to~!!

WHOO HOO

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Why they waited until the DNC lost its' footing, before FAILing this dildo, shows taste and perfect comedic timing.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNQRfBAzSzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNQRfBAzSzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'll be able to stomach the channel more often now.

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) Statement on Olbermann Suspension
                  Friday, 05 November 2010 16:24 Press Release

WASHINGTON--(ENEWSPF)--November 5 - “It is outrageous that General Electric/MSNBC would suspend Keith Olbermann for exercising his constitutional rights to contribute to a candidate of his choice. This is a real threat to political discourse in America and will have a chilling impact on every commentator for MSNBC.

“We live in a time when 90 percent of talk radio is dominated by right-wing extremists, when the Republican Party has its own cable network (Fox) and when progressive voices are few and far between.

“At a time when the ownership of Fox news contributed millions of dollars to the Republican Party, when a number of Fox commentators are using the network as a launching pad for their presidential campaigns and are raising money right off the air, it is absolutely unacceptable that MSNBC suspended one of the most popular progressive commentators in the country.

“Is Rachel Maddow or Ed Schultz next? Is this simply a ‘personality conflict’ within MSNBC or is one of America’s major corporations cracking down on a viewpoint they may not like? Whatever the answer may be, Keith Olbermann should be reinstated immediately and allowed to present his point of view."

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Maybe the boss would have just looked past this if Keith wasn't dead last in ratings. No one likes this creep. No one watches his show. He has become a laughing stock for just about everyone. Even John Stewart ripped him a new one. All Kieth does is spew hate & whines about everything.

Buh-bye Kieth.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Satan
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

It's the hypocrisy, Sadie.

Scarborough Attended Bush Election Rally: IOKIYAR
                      by Billionaires for Wealthcare
                      Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 03:06:28 PM PDT

Scarborough participated in a Bush election rally in Pensacola on August 10, 2004, while he was employed by MSNBC as host of the nightly news show "Scarborough Country".

Scarborough didn't cover the rally for MSNBC, but attended as a former Republican Congressman who represented Pensacola.

He sat immediately behind Bush, and Bush thanked him for his attendance during his speech.

* Billionaires for Wealthcare's diary :: ::

Joe Scarborough, host of the nightly ''Scarborough Country'' program, could be seen on news reports on Tuesday standing and applauding numerous times during the president's speech. Mr. Bush even cited him in his speech, saying he appreciated Mr. Scarborough's presence in the district he once served as a Republican congressman. ''I'm glad he did it,'' said Rick Kaplan, the president of MSNBC, said of Mr. Scarborough's appearance. ''It was good for the profile of the show to remind people he has an inside view of politics.''

New York Times - Aug 11, 2004
                      MSNBC went on to say ItsOKtoCheerleadBush because Scarborugh's show was an opinion show, unlike Hardball. Yet anyone familiar with Scarborough's show knows it was structurally no different than Hardball. In fact, they would run in the same evening time block, complementing each other.

Daily Kos is a progressive news site that fights for democracy by giving our audience information and resources to win elections and impact government. Our coverage is assiduously factual, ethical, and unapologetically liberal. We amplify what we think is important, with the proper context&#8212;not just what is happening, but how it's happening and why people should care. We give you news you can do something about.

Scarborough, btw, is still employed by MSNBC to this day.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jhale667

Word is already he may not be back...hmm, wonder if he'll be an unannounced "special guest" on Bill Maher tonight?

http://bit.ly/cuae2F
                        In the television industry there is usually motives beyond the obvious. It could be there was bad blood between Olbermann and the executives or someone on the board of directors just didn't like him. I many cases they are looking for an convenient excuse to fire you plus, Olbermann wasn't pulling in the ratings the way he used to. Who knows.

I once worked for Pepsico. It was in my contract I could be fired for drinking a Coke product. I'm sure Olbermann's contract was a long one full of all sorts of petty shit like that. Got to love corporations.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                          It's the hypocrisy, Sadie.

Scarborough Attended Bush Election Rally

Scarborough didn't cover the rally for MSNBC, but attended as a former Republican Congressman who represented Pensacola.

Did he donate money? One month after he chastised others for doing the same exact thing?

Either way. Defend Olbermann all you want. The guy is a fucking asshole. Not just the right feel that way either. People hate this guy. He definitely could use a few doses of comeuppance. He sucked at ESPN and he sucks at MSNBC. His ratings are always dredging the bottom of the barrel. It takes a special type of person to sit and watch an hour of hate, name calling & whining 5 days a week.

Hopefully Matthews & Maddow will be next. the childish shit they pulled during election coverage was just way past anything even remotely "journalistic". Yeah I know, they are commentators who express their opinions. But when a news story breaks, do you really need to watch their shows to know what their opinions will be? So fucking predictable. You name the news item and I bet any one of us familiar with these idiots could replicate what their exact opinions on the matter would be.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

People may not like Olbermann's delivery, but I definitely would not call criticism of the Bush Administration and the fraud that is Fox News whining....

He and Bill Maher were the only ones who had the balls to do it....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Satan
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Posted: Today,7:55 P.M. EDT | By Matt Taibbi
                              Olbermann Suspension is Lunacy

Just quickly: I just found out about the suspension of Keith Olbermann for making political contributions. NBC apparently has some policy prohibiting journalists from donating to candidates, so they suspended him indefinitely without pay.

I went online and read the news and found the inevitable commentary by ostensible experts on journalistic ethics, who are all lining up to whale on Olbermann. One quote I found in this Bloomberg piece:

"Journalists who work for a news organization have an ethical responsibility to honor their guidelines and standards,” said Bob Steele who teaches journalism ethics at Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida. “If NBC and MSNBC spelled out those guidelines clearly and Olbermann violated those guidelines, then he should pay the price."

He should pay the price? Is Bob Steele kidding? What the hell is wrong with people?

We had a whole generation of journalists who sat by and did nothing while, for instance, George Bush led us into an idiotic war on a lie, plus thousands more who spent day after day collecting checks by covering Britney's hair and Tiger's text messages and other stupidities while the economy blew up and two bloody wars went on mostly unexamined... and it's Keith Olbermann who should "pay the price" for being unethical? Because, and let me get this straight, he donated money, privately, to politicians?

This is absurd even by GE's standards. There is no reason, not even a theoretical one, why any journalist should be prevented from having political opinions and participating in election campaigns in his spare time. The policy would be ridiculous even if we were talking about an evening news anchor -- because the only "ethical" question here is the issue of NBC wanting to preserve the appearance of impartiality and being unable to do so, because political contributions happen to be public record and impossible to hide from viewers.

Again, that would be true even if we were talking about Brian Williams or Tom Brokaw, someone from whom viewers expect a certain level of impartiality. But what Olbermann does is advocacy journalism and it's not exactly a secret. NBC punishing Olbermann for donating to Democratic candidates is like Hugh Hefner fining the Playmate of the Year for showing ankle. It's completely and utterly retarded.

These periodic spaz attacks the people in our business have over obscure and usually completely made-up ethical controversies -- often over this whole "objectivity" issue, which provides a seemingly endless source of false piety for some of the more obnoxious journo-ethicists -- are really irritating. I'm biased, obviously, because I'm a guest on the show, but this is beyond stupid. And by the way, has anyone checked the donation lists for CNBC anchors? I'm guessing a few of those have shelled out to the Rs. What's the deal, GE?

Comment

Working...