X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Dimebag loved the BROWN sound.

Much like the author of this article, I too am not the biggest Pantera fan, but I always loved Dimebag Darrell's playing, and particularly his solos. I wasn't a huge fan of his tone, though - as I'm not into solid state amps. Turns out he was an even bigger fan of the early EVH tone than you would have thought...found on WoodyTone:

Dime! Never was a huge fan of Pantera, but loved Dimebag Darrell’s playing (”Cowboys From Hell” is the meanest blues scale riff ever), his interaction with his bro/drummer Vinnie Paul and though I never got to meet the guy by all accounts he was a sweetheart.

He was also born the same year as me, and went through a similar progression of bands (KISS, VH, Rhoads, etc.). Definitely a huge talent and a big-time tragedy – so it sorta pains me to say that I don’t love the guy’s tone. The wood really isn’t there for me, though it’s interesting that like all great players with a signature tone, he was very interested in tone – and loved EVH’s brown sound.

Here’s more, all quotes are Dime’s (RIP man!):

> “I’ve always wanted my very own tone. Actually, a lot of it comes from my Randall amps. I won a Randall half stack in one of those [shredding] contests and I heard something different in it than other amps – it was like a chainsaw, and I bet myself that someday I could make it my own. Then, after a year and a half, I found it.” [How cool is that? Hearing something different and wanting to make it his own is cool. Chasing that tone for 18 straight months is very cool.]

> “I’m not a dude who’s getting the brand-new Boogie or Soldano shipped to them every week – that’s why so many other guys don’t have their own sound.”
    [They also don't hear and go after a particular unique sound.]

> “I’ve always liked the tone that Edward calls ‘the brown sound’ – that warm, round tone that’s characteristic of a tube amp. Even though I don’t play through an amp with tubes, I’ve got that sort of warmth in my tone.” [Hmmmm. I guess as long as he could hear it and was inspired by it was all that mattered.]

> “The tone I like definitely has a bit of the brown sound, but it’s got to have the attack and the shred on top of that. It’s just got to sound kick-ass.”

Live Rig

> “Live, I have two different setups that I use: the regular Randall RG100HT 100w head or the Randall Warhead [signature head]. Basically, the way the Warhead is voiced, it’s got my little blue MXR six-band graphic EQ and my Furman four-band parametric EQ built in [interesting...]. If I’m playing through the regular Randall, then the guitar goes to the Furman four-band parametric EQ, to the MXR six-band graphic EQ, and into the Randall. If I’m playing through Warheads, then I pretty much plug straight in….”

Cab Details

> Warhead 4×12s which I believe had Celestion V30s in them. Warhead cabs also came in a 2×15 version so he must’ve used them at some point.

Effects

Guitar to:
    > Korg rack tuner
    > Dunlop Dime Crybaby from Hell wah
    > original DigiTech Whammy pedal
    > Rocktron Hush IIC rack noise gate

> He also ran a rack MXR Flanger/Doubler through the loop of one of his heads.

Other

> DR Strings, 9-46, 9-50 for drop tunings
    > Dunlop 0.88 mm Tortex picks (”My tech, Grady, cuts grooves into them with a dart for a grip. That grip is a great thing, especially when you’re sweating on stage. It’s kind of addictive and I find it’s hard to play without it.”)

Totally dig the idea of finding your OWN tone, too...whatever amp you choose.

Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • TFM_Dale
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2009

I loved Pantera, still listen to their albums from beginning to end today. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Glad you like. I think he wrote some absolutely brutal riffs - I love some of the tunes on "Cowboys" and "Far Beyond Driven", but to be honest, Anselmo's voice gets on my nerves sometimes. Dime was an AMAZING, extremely gifted guitarist, though.
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
        ... to be honest, Anselmo's voice gets on my nerves sometimes.
        Funny, I only felt that way about the band's guitarist!

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
          but to be honest, Anselmo's voice gets on my nerves sometimes. Dime was an AMAZING, extremely gifted guitarist, though.

Same. There are a ton of great metal bands I have heard that I just can't listen to & really enjoy because of the cookie monster vocals. It just ruins it for me.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            Same. There are a ton of great metal bands I have heard that I just can't listen to & really enjoy because of the cookie monster vocals. It just ruins it for me.
            Exactly. I don't want to hear Cookie Monster singing anything besides "C is for Cookie", call me a purist...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Tubes and transistors both clip the same. What makes tube amps different is the transformer saturation and how that relates to the speakers. Most solid state amplifier designers take this consideration out of the loop. That's why Tech 21 SansAmps are more like tube amps. There is analog circuitry that takes into account how the transformers in a tube amp effect the sound. They have come closer than anyone yet. I've heard some god awful tube amps and great sounding solid state amps.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  Tubes and transistors both clip the same.
                  Thats incorrect.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I would say you are wrong GAR. Check out 2:10. I don't think you have more amplifier experience than the man in the video.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

You can get the Brown Sound out of some cheap amps. Here's a $300 amp doing it. Dime the volume and the gain and keep all the EQ settings low except for the presence. The key it to slam the power tubes into saturation and greenback speakers.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

Didn't Dimebag make money touring with Pantera?

He was signed, wasn't he? I don't understand why he stuck with those solid-state Randalls for so long.

It's almost like: once Darryl switched to Krank amps, Randall's business suffered and thus sold out to a new owner who reinvested the company into tube designs that actually sell.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Did you take EXTRA stupid pills this morning?

Originally posted by GAR
                          He was signed, wasn't he? I don't understand why he stuck with those solid-state Randalls for so long.

Uh, hammerhead - perhaps because he liked them, to the point where they made him his own signature head before he parted ways with them?

Last edited by jhale667; 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Every time I talked to him he had a LOSER beer in his LOSER hands.

Guys like this LOSER dont care about their tone, he hid behind his distortion to cloak a great lack of dexterity and choked notes.

Kids didn't grow up admiring him the way they did EVH or Angus. They admired him like the little kids point fingers of admiration at the 30 clowns piling out of a VW Beetle "look at that, Gramma!"

He out-did himself on a yearly basis how gross he could dress and look, because that's how he was. He didn't give a shit about anything, not even his sound.. and the only reason he went with Krank was they smoked pot together and supported similar views on marijuana.

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                              Guys like this LOSER dont care about their tone, he hid behind his distortion to cloak a great lack of dexterity and choked notes.

As usual hit "submit reply" INSERT FOOT much like every time you open your mouth, one imagines....

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...