X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thetruthbaby
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2004

Challenge to the Hagar Morons

I'm sure this has been covered at some point before but it's worth bringing up again. In 1984 VH released their album of the same name. This album went on to sell over 5 MILLION copies in its first year and a half of release. It has now sold over 10 MILLION. In 1986 5150 was released and it sold only 3 Million in its first year of release. Now (according to Blabbermouth.net) it has just been re-certified by the RIAA for 6 Million total sales. SO WHAT DOES THIS TELL US? Thier peak was with Roth. PERIOD. They LOST fans when they changed vocalists. I'm not saying they weren't successful with Hagar because they were, but it wasn't like it was with Roth. They ruled the rock universe with Roth, and the numbers back it up. Their total album sales with Roth are over 34 MILLION. With Hagar it's 18 million. Do you dumbasses see the difference. And don't give me the CD argument either. CD's didn't become the end all be all of consumer purchase until the very early 90's which means the HAGAR albums benefited from re-purchases just like the Roth albums. There was an article in Billboard a few months ago that stated that VH1 had still outsold any of the Hagar albums since Soundscan had been instituted in 91'. The bottom line is that VHalen were bigger (not to mention better) with ROTH. And everyone of you Hagar dumbasses knows it. 5150 thier first number 1 album-- Yeah, and it only sold half as much. Dumbasses.
    DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER
  • lztom
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

Valuing number ones over unit sales is the oldest trick in the book for fading artists. It's not that hard for an established but over the hill artist to get to number one for a week or two with a decent sized promotional push. The record then fades into obscurity quickly. It's far harder to have a three month or more stayer in the upper reaches of the album charts even if it never peaks out at number one.

The bubble well and truly burst for the lying Dutchmen when VH III didn't make number one even though WB kept delaying the release so it had nothing to go up against.

Be interested to see what happens with this sham best of. Inevitably it will be sold on the back of the Roth content so it will shift some units but not as many as BOV 1 by a long way. I've said it before, they should put that record out without Roth songs on; it's utterly dishonest and greedy.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Remember when Ed said "It's the number ones that matter" ?!. WHat a fucking tool, that was his way of diminishing Dave and making it look like Van Hagar was a more viable band than Van Halen. It's the quality of the music that's number one anyway.........Fair Warning sold far less than 1984, and clearly most VH fans prefer FW.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

However I'd be willing to bet that the Six pack sells a shitload more than the Van Hagar records now. By a huge margin too. Gee WACF or Balance........let me think..............You think anyone even fucking remembers Balance Hagaritas?

Comment

• lztom
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
          However I'd be willing to bet that the Six pack sells a shitload more than the Van Hagar records now. By a huge margin too. Gee WACF or Balance........let me think..............You think anyone even fucking remembers Balance Hagaritas?
          As a guitar player, the coverage of the early albums in the guitar press must keep sales ticking over on its own. You never see Van Hagar tabbed out in mags, except when there is a promotional push for a new Van Hagar tour/record when the writers in the magazine have to pretend they give a shit about Van Hagar. I've got at least three seperate magazines from the last five years with Panama tabbed out; just Panama, that's not including ANY other Classic Van Halen. Zero Van Hagar in the same period. Edward's guitar playing on the first six records is just perfect IMHO, impossible to improve upon.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

It'd be nice to see Ed TRY to come close to the old standard........the sad thing though is, MAYBE HE IS!

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lztom
              As a guitar player, the coverage of the early albums in the guitar press must keep sales ticking over on its own. You never see Van Hagar tabbed out in mags, except when there is a promotional push for a new Van Hagar tour/record when the writers in the magazine have to pretend they give a shit about Van Hagar. I've got at least three seperate magazines from the last five years with Panama tabbed out; just Panama, that's not including ANY other Classic Van Halen. Zero Van Hagar in the same period. Edward's guitar playing on the first six records is just perfect IMHO, impossible to improve upon.
              Guitar mags know what sells in terms of Van Halen. Guitar World's latest Ed-centered issue that came out this month has about 95% of the photos and 80% of the tabs, not to mention 50% of the reprinted interviews, focused on the classic period.

In terms of Van Halen's classic catalog moving due to the repurchasing for upgrading them on CD's, CD's weren't that widespread until the end of the 1980s/early 1990s.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• L.S.D.

really cuz billboard is reporting that its the Van Hagar catalog that is selling. And after this tour, and the remasters......hmmmmmmmmm. Everybody already owns the dlr era. The only ones that sell are vh1 and 1984. The other 2 dont at all.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Other two? What the fuck are you talking about. There are four others besides I and 1984. II just got certified, so the others do sell.

"Everybody already owns the dlr era"

Obviously, because it's the better of the two.

Comment

• Roth-Halen
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2004

Wheter is only VH1 or 1984 it is still clasic VH, and they OUTSOLD any Van Fuck Face Hagar baby!
                    Roth rules!

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by L.S.D.
                      really cuz billboard is reporting that its the Van Hagar catalog that is selling. And after this tour, and the remasters......hmmmmmmmmm. Everybody already owns the dlr era. The only ones that sell are vh1 and 1984. The other 2 dont at all.
                      Your really have no idea what you are talking about, misquoting and misinterpeting.
                      <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Even if the classic era had only sold a fraction of what followed, Van Halen were at their best when Roth was in the band
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• L.S.D.

Originally posted by RogueHorseman
                          Your really have no idea what you are talking about, misquoting and misinterpeting.

oh really, go to Billboard.com

and I hit the 2 key on accident.

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jun 2004

The proof is in the numbers

The reason I posted this topic was to show all of the Hagar losers who hide behind "5150 was their first number one album" crap that overall the Roth catalog is WAY, WAY in front of the Hagar catalog. Also I wanted to show that there indeed was a drop off from the 1984 album and tour to the 5150 album and tour which there was. The Roth catalog will always sell (VHII was re-certified as one person pointed out) and ultimately the Hagar catalog WILL NEVER catch the Roth stuff. The reason being: ROTH VH destroys VAN HAGAR. Like I said before, Van Halen's legacy lies with Roth, not Hagar. If you can't admit this you're either stupid or a liar. Roth VH 34 MILLION sold. Van Hagar 18 Million sold (with the new certifications included). It's not even close. Just like the quality of music produced from the 2 different era's.
                            DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                              Commando
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by L.S.D.
                              oh really, go to Billboard.com

and I hit the 2 key on accident.
                              How stupid can you be? Do you honestly think Billboard is anything more than a bought and paid for shill organ for the industry?

You keep on thinking that sh*t... I spent two decades playing the radio and records chart game, and was damn good at it if I do say so myself. I KNOW, and others here like GS do as well.

Just admit that you are a mark for Ed, and or Sam, and be done with it, OK? Because, the real numbers (units sold, legitimate airplay, etc.) of the six pack vs. the Hagar stuff will never, ever back you up.
                              <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...