PDA

View Full Version : Is Singletary Next?

TFM_Dale
11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Earlier this month, columnist Tim Kawakami compiled a list of potential head coaching candidates for the San Francisco 49ers (as seen at right). This was based upon a hypothesis that current head coach Mike Singletary was not going to continue on after this season. That hypothesis has gotten more likely in the time since, especially after getting shut out at home on Sunday by a Tampa Bay Buccaneers team that is one of the league's youngest, and certainly did not have preseason expectations on par with the 49ers'.

"We can sit back after losing today and talk about all this talent," linebacker Patrick Willis said following the 21-0 loss, per Kawakami. "But at the end of the day, it's what you do on Sunday. It's about who's ready to play on Sunday. And today, they were more ready to play than we were."

More ready to play? That seems like a direct reference to coaching, from this vantage point. As has been written before, a change appears to be coming in San Francisco, and it's more a matter of "when," not "if."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20101122#7060

TFM_Dale
11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
011 coaching candidates

* Big names, but no chance: Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Jeff Fisher
* Wish list: Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh
* Best practical candidates: Pat Shurmur, Brian Schottenheimer, Hue Jackson, Jason Garrett, Mike Mularkey, Mike Heimerdinger, Marty Morninhweg, Charlie Weis, Brian Billick, Scott Linehan, Kevin Gilbride
Source: Tim Kawakami, San Jose Mercury News

TFM_Dale
11-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Had to post the coaching wish list separate.

The 49ers started the year considered a strong contender and have looked like anything but for the majority of the year. The coach always takes the blame for things like this so this really is no surprise.

Jagermeister
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I would hate to see that. Singletary deserves some time to get that team in order.

TFM_Dale
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I would hate to see that. Singletary deserves some time to get that team in order.

From what I read he seems to be over the top at times to be a head coach. That does work with some teams but doesn't seem to be working for 49ers. The defense hasn't been as tough as last year and the QB play is streaky as all Hell. I'm not about to put all the blame on Singletary for it, but them not getting a QB the past off season has really killed them this year.

chefcraig
11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Last evening on NBC, the nitwit Collinsworth was talking up the Eagles Marty Mornhinweg as a head coach next season, based upon the team's performance this year. Uh-huh. And how much of that success can be directly attributed to Michael Vick?