PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Stupid Poll:AXL ROSE Is 'Greatest Lead Singer Of All Time,' According To

Jagermeister
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Allrighty Then. At least Sammy is not on that list.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-30-greatest-lead-singers-of-all-time-315448/3#content

GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose has been voted the greatest lead singer of all time by readers of MusicRadar.com, ahead of such legendary vocalists as Freddy Mercury, Robert Plant, Ronnie James Dio, John Lennon and Bruce Dickinson.

MusicRadar.com says: "The public have spoken. Forget the caricature of recent years and think back to the late 1980s — he was dangerous, lean, angry, confrontational, and controversial. The hotheaded, horny ginger stepchild of Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, a born rock star who made being fashionably late a lifestyle choice and started riots in the process."

MusicRadar.com's 30 greatest lead singers of all time:

01. Axl Rose (GUNS N' ROSES)
02. Freddie Mercury (QUEEN)
03. Robert Plant (LED ZEPPELIN)
04. Ronnie James Dio (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, ELF)
05. John Lennon (THE BEATLES)
06. Bruce Dickinson (IRON MAIDEN)
07. Thom Yorke (RADIOHEAD)
08. Kurt Cobain (NIRVANA)
09. Matt Bellamy (MUSE)
10. Paul McCartney (THE BEATLES)
11. Jim Morrison (THE DOORS)
12. James Hetfield (METALLICA)
13. Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A PERFECT CIRCLE)
14. Mick Jagger (THE ROLLING STONES)
15. James LaBrie (DREAM THEATER)
16. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
17. Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH)
18. Roger Daltrey (THE WHO)
19. Geddy Lee (RUSH)
20. Morrissey
21. Liam Gallagher (OASIS)
22. Jack White (THE WHITE STRIPES)
23. Joe Strummer (THE CLASH)
24. Stevie Nicks (FLEETWOOD MAC)
25. Iggy Pop (THE STOOGES)
26. Smokey Robinson
27. Black Francis / Frank Black
28. Diana Ross
29. Debbie Harry (BLONDIE)
30. Martha Reeves

chefcraig
12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't read too much into it. This is the same website that in an online poll rated the dead guy from Slipknot as the 3rd greatest bassist of all time, above John Entwistle and Jaco Pastorious.
The 25 greatest bassists of all time (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-25-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/23#content)

Jagermeister
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't read too much into it. This is the same website that rates the dead guy from Slipknot as the 3rd greatest bassist of all time, above John Entwistle and Jaco Pastorious. The 25 greatest bassists of all time (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-25-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/23#content)

:biggrin:

Hardrock69
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Christ. That is the biggest load of fucking shit. That worthless fuckbag can't hold a candle to people like Dio, Mercury, Halford, Gillan, Tate, Plant, etc. in the vocal department.

And in the "frontman" category Uncle Dave is number one. Vocally, while not exactly comparable to some of the above, Uncle Dave makes Axl Grease sound like a 3-year-old with laryngitis who is having a temper tantrum after being told he cannot have any candy.

Fuck that website.

sonrisa salvaje
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Not to mention James Hetfield being included on this list. I would consider him a serviceable vocalist but not really a great singer or frontman. Also, for my money, Lindsey Buckingham is the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac.

78/84 guy
12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Bon Scott number one. It's really not even close. Freddie is up there so that's good, and Plant. Daltrey should be way up there along with Paul rodgers. Two guy that could really sing like Freddie and Bon. Dave wasn't the greatest singer live but he should be on there. Fuck just 2 albums he sings on sold over 20 million copies. Jack Depp, I mean Jack White ?? Whatever !! The guy has talent but give me a break. Where the fuck is Hendrix ?? I hate when he get's overlooked as a singer.

FORD
12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Even Axhole himself, as egotistical as he is, wouldn't say he was better than Freddie Mercury. But on what fucking planet is Thom Yorke from one hit wonder Radiohead and whoever the fuck "Muse" is, better than goddamn Mick Jagger?

Terry
12-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Christ. That is the biggest load of fucking shit. That worthless fuckbag can't hold a candle to people like Dio, Mercury, Halford, Gillan, Tate, Plant, etc. in the vocal department.

And in the "frontman" category Uncle Dave is number one. Vocally, while not exactly comparable to some of the above, Uncle Dave makes Axl Grease sound like a 3-year-old with laryngitis who is having a temper tantrum after being told he cannot have any candy.

Fuck that website.
Agreed, Hardrock.

Axl might make my own top 100 rock frontmen of all time list, although he'd probably be much closer to 100 than 1.

Far as greatest lead singer of all time, I couldn't really take anyone who claimed Rose was a better singer than Dio, Halford, Plant, etc . seriously. I mean, someone prefers Plant over Dio, whatever. However, Axl has no business being ranked even close to the top of the greatest lead singers of all time.

Blaze
12-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Sneekers! or is it snickers. I do no speak English so well.

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Not to mention James Hetfield being included on this list. I would consider him a serviceable vocalist but not really a great singer or frontman.

I wouldn't even consider him a serviceable gas pump attendant.

He would probably burst into tears and go in a huge pissy huff if you asked him to wipe your windscreen...

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 07:20 AM
If Axl is #1 why aren't Milli Vanilli on the list?

ELVIS
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM

He would probably burst into tears and go in a huge pissy huff if you asked him to wipe your windscreen...

That may be a trigger for him...:biggrin:

sadaist
12-09-2010, 10:48 AM
If Axl is #1 why aren't Milli Vanilli on the list?

They were tied for #1 on "the best hair of all time" list.

sadaist
12-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Kurt Cobain on the list for best singer of all time? WTF? The only award I would give Kurt is best aim of all time. He's #1 on that list clearly.

diamondsgirl
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
No Steve Perry? No Chris Cornell?

thats fucked up

chefcraig
12-09-2010, 02:10 PM

You guys still have pump jockeys in your country? I haven't seen one of those guys since sometime in 1979.

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
No.

It popped into my head because I was listening to a documentary the other day and they were interviewing the last ones in the US who are in New Jersey apparently

That and the Bill Hicks line about the Judas Priest suicides robbing the world of a couple of pump attendants... :)

FORD
12-09-2010, 02:32 PM
You guys still have pump jockeys in your country? I haven't seen one of those guys since sometime in 1979.

So you have never been to Oregon, then?

Believe it or not, it's still the law there. No such thing as self serve gas. Sometimes I forget when I'm down there and reach for the pump out of habit. I've actually seen a couple of folks get hysterical like I was a terrorist or something. :biggrin:

Jagermeister
12-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Believe it or not, it's still the law there. No such thing as self serve gas. Sometimes I forget when I'm down there and reach for the pump out of habit. I've actually seen a couple of folks get hysterical like I was a terrorist or something. :biggrin:

The Japs do it right. They have some places where these little hotties come out and pump your gas and clean your windshield. It's awesome. They pump to please.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM

we were riding to crater lake, stopped for gas and this huge fat guy comes out to pump our gas. he was the first jockey to know the reason for it. (some old legislator's daughter lit herself up in the 70s i think) he says "at least it makes jobs for fat and lazy people like me"

sadaist
12-09-2010, 03:16 PM
No Steve Perry? No Chris Cornell?

thats fucked up

Yep. Geoff Tate is missing as well. I'm not a huge Queensyrche or Soundgarden fan. but I can admit their singers are fucking incredibly talented.

Even at Axl's prime when Appetite For Destruction was HUGE, we all listened to it and still made fun of his voice. This list is just so off-the-wall that I'm not even really letting it bother me....too much. I think sometimes they list crazy shit like this to get people fired up & going to their website to see for themselves.

Hardrock69
12-09-2010, 07:33 PM
He is the electrified bastard redheaded stepchild of Ethel Merman:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFLM1z4v1pI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFLM1z4v1pI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>