Yet Another Stupid Poll:AXL ROSE Is 'Greatest Lead Singer Of All Time,' According To

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Yet Another Stupid Poll:AXL ROSE Is 'Greatest Lead Singer Of All Time,' According To

Allrighty Then. At least Sammy is not on that list.

GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose has been voted the greatest lead singer of all time by readers of MusicRadar.com, ahead of such legendary vocalists as Freddy Mercury, Robert Plant, Ronnie James Dio, John Lennon and Bruce Dickinson.

MusicRadar.com says: "The public have spoken. Forget the caricature of recent years and think back to the late 1980s — he was dangerous, lean, angry, confrontational, and controversial. The hotheaded, horny ginger stepchild of Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, a born rock star who made being fashionably late a lifestyle choice and started riots in the process."

MusicRadar.com's 30 greatest lead singers of all time:

01. Axl Rose (GUNS N' ROSES)
    02. Freddie Mercury (QUEEN)
    03. Robert Plant (LED ZEPPELIN)
    04. Ronnie James Dio (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, ELF)
    05. John Lennon (THE BEATLES)
    06. Bruce Dickinson (IRON MAIDEN)
    07. Thom Yorke (RADIOHEAD)
    08. Kurt Cobain (NIRVANA)
    09. Matt Bellamy (MUSE)
    10. Paul McCartney (THE BEATLES)
    11. Jim Morrison (THE DOORS)
    12. James Hetfield (METALLICA)
    13. Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A PERFECT CIRCLE)
    14. Mick Jagger (THE ROLLING STONES)
    15. James LaBrie (DREAM THEATER)
    16. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    17. Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH)
    18. Roger Daltrey (THE WHO)
    19. Geddy Lee (RUSH)
    20. Morrissey
    21. Liam Gallagher (OASIS)
    22. Jack White (THE WHITE STRIPES)
    23. Joe Strummer (THE CLASH)
    24. Stevie Nicks (FLEETWOOD MAC)
    25. Iggy Pop (THE STOOGES)
    26. Smokey Robinson
    27. Black Francis / Frank Black
    28. Diana Ross
    29. Debbie Harry (BLONDIE)
    30. Martha Reeves
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

I wouldn't read too much into it. This is the same website that in an online poll rated the dead guy from Slipknot as the 3rd greatest bassist of all time, above John Entwistle and Jaco Pastorious.
    The 25 greatest bassists of all time

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
      I wouldn't read too much into it. This is the same website that rates the dead guy from Slipknot as the 3rd greatest bassist of all time, above John Entwistle and Jaco Pastorious. The 25 greatest bassists of all time

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Christ. That is the biggest load of fucking shit. That worthless fuckbag can't hold a candle to people like Dio, Mercury, Halford, Gillan, Tate, Plant, etc. in the vocal department.

And in the "frontman" category Uncle Dave is number one. Vocally, while not exactly comparable to some of the above, Uncle Dave makes Axl Grease sound like a 3-year-old with laryngitis who is having a temper tantrum after being told he cannot have any candy.

Fuck that website.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

Not to mention James Hetfield being included on this list. I would consider him a serviceable vocalist but not really a great singer or frontman. Also, for my money, Lindsey Buckingham is the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac.
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Bon Scott number one. It's really not even close. Freddie is up there so that's good, and Plant. Daltrey should be way up there along with Paul rodgers. Two guy that could really sing like Freddie and Bon. Dave wasn't the greatest singer live but he should be on there. Fuck just 2 albums he sings on sold over 20 million copies. Jack Depp, I mean Jack White ?? Whatever !! The guy has talent but give me a break. Where the fuck is Hendrix ?? I hate when he get's overlooked as a singer.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Even Axhole himself, as egotistical as he is, wouldn't say he was better than Freddie Mercury. But on what fucking planet is Thom Yorke from one hit wonder Radiohead and whoever the fuck "Muse" is, better than goddamn Mick Jagger?
              Last edited by FORD; 12-08-2010, 08:31 PM.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                Christ. That is the biggest load of fucking shit. That worthless fuckbag can't hold a candle to people like Dio, Mercury, Halford, Gillan, Tate, Plant, etc. in the vocal department.

And in the "frontman" category Uncle Dave is number one. Vocally, while not exactly comparable to some of the above, Uncle Dave makes Axl Grease sound like a 3-year-old with laryngitis who is having a temper tantrum after being told he cannot have any candy.

Fuck that website.
                Agreed, Hardrock.

Axl might make my own top 100 rock frontmen of all time list, although he'd probably be much closer to 100 than 1.

Far as greatest lead singer of all time, I couldn't really take anyone who claimed Rose was a better singer than Dio, Halford, Plant, etc . seriously. I mean, someone prefers Plant over Dio, whatever. However, Axl has no business being ranked even close to the top of the greatest lead singers of all time.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Blaze
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Sneekers! or is it snickers. I do no speak English so well.
                  "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                  sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                    Not to mention James Hetfield being included on this list. I would consider him a serviceable vocalist but not really a great singer or frontman.
                    I wouldn't even consider him a serviceable gas pump attendant.

He would probably burst into tears and go in a huge pissy huff if you asked him to wipe your windscreen...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If Axl is #1 why aren't Milli Vanilli on the list?

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        I wouldn't even consider him a serviceable gas pump attendant.

He would probably burst into tears and go in a huge pissy huff if you asked him to wipe your windscreen...
                        That may be a trigger for him...

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          If Axl is #1 why aren't Milli Vanilli on the list?
                          They were tied for #1 on "the best hair of all time" list.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Kurt Cobain on the list for best singer of all time? WTF? The only award I would give Kurt is best aim of all time. He's #1 on that list clearly.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

No Steve Perry? No Chris Cornell?

thats fucked up
                              Last edited by diamondsgirl; 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM.
                              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

Working...