PDA

View Full Version : 30th anniversary of Lennon assassination

Bob_R
12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Today marks the 30th anniversary of the John Lennon murder. Taken away from us much too soon the world was deprived of the music still left in this man's soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_0di2IL440

jhale667
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
RIP Mr. Lennon. :(

Jagermeister
12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
You know there are a few things in history that have had a big impact on peoples lives. This is one of them for some but not for me.

Heard the news on the radio this morning and I thought back and I can't even really remember anything about it. I guess I would have been 12 or 13 years old at the time. KISS was more important to me then.:biggrin:

jhale667
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I remember exactly where I was when I heard about it. Much like when Dimebag Darrell was also assassinated on this day in '04. Not even nearly a loss on the same par, but a shitty coincidence and dual tragedy.

Nitro Express
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I never liked the Beatles so when I heard the news, it was just another dead rockstar. It was just another murder on the news and I blew it off.

chefcraig
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I'll never forget how I learned of Lennon's death. Howard Cosell told a stunned America on Monday Night Football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9LoPfFaxA

Bob_R
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I'll never forget how I learned of Lennon's death. Howard Cosell told a stunned America on Monday Night Football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9LoPfFaxA

Yep. Me too.

There was a discussion this morning on a sports talk radio program that I enjoy listening to and they were mentioning how times have changed so much with social media. The news of Lennon's tragedy spread because there was an ABC employee who was at the hospital were Lennon was brought. He made a phone call to ABC headquarters and then the announcement on MNF. Don't remember exactly but it must have been about an hour to an hour in a half after the incident before word starting spreading.

In this day and age with the Internet, cellphones, twitter, facebook, the news would have spread much more rapidly.

chefcraig
12-08-2010, 02:17 PM
In this day and age with the Internet, cellphones, twitter, facebook, the news would have spread much more rapidly.

It was still a weird as shit day. Complete strangers were opening up to one another, sharing their grief. The radio only played Beatles and Lennon songs, every newspaper had the story as a headline. It numbed the living hell out of me, for days. The whole deal truly was like losing a member of the family.

fifth element
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9LoPfFaxAi

that is how i heard about it....had been busy all day....
school, work, and all the petty little day to day stuff...
sat back to watch MNF, as always....

and...WOW

Funny...I remember coming home to my mother crying on the day that Elvis died...
But when I heard about Lenon, all I could do was think about what a horrible waste it was....

Nitro Express
12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
The Beatles for me was a dated band that was special to the generation before me. I just didn't relate to it at all. In those days I didn't particularly like hippies and Lennon to me was this dorky British dude, sitting in bed with his weird Japanese wife living in a confused fog of drugs. New York City in those days was a broke, cess pool full of crime. Anything could happen there and I just thought some dude mugged him because he was a rich rock star. But then I didn't give a ratt's ass when Elvis died either and all the crying and fuss over it amazed me.

78/84 guy
12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Lennon signed this idiot's album went to the record plant for a couple hours to record. Then coming home his limo pulled up to the front of the building again instead of the private parking lot so he could sign for more people, and that's when he shot him. He lived in Hawaii and flew in around October changed his mind went home and flew back to New York in December to shot him. That's was what a huge Beatles guy and local DJ said on the radio today. In some of his last interviews he said a Beatles reunion could maybe happen. It would have been interesting if it did. Some of his solo stuff is really great songwriting. Never cared for that women he married but what the hell................... A real rock star. I loved some of the stuff he would say just to stir the pot. Sometime's he didn't even try. Wasn't he on Nixon's enemy list ?? I think he tried to ship him out of America a few times. That shit is funny. RIP. Lets not forget Dimebag also. same day RIP.

twonabomber
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
i coulda swore it was a Friday night. i'd stay up late with the radio on as i was trying to fall asleep.

i do remember the local DJ breaking in and saying Lennon was dead.

Yoko didn't really need to send the bag of John's bloody clothes to the Rock Hall to be put on display, but she did.

FORD
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
You know there are a few things in history that have had a big impact on peoples lives. This is one of them for some but not for me.

Heard the news on the radio this morning and I thought back and I can't even really remember anything about it. I guess I would have been 12 or 13 years old at the time. KISS was more important to me then.:biggrin:

Well, then you should probably remember that Chaim Witz and Stanley Eisen, by their own admission, were deliberately trying to be "the next Beatles" when they formed KI$$. And while the stage theatrics and the music itself was certainly different (despite Gene's delusions that he "sings like Paul McCartney") the marketing was something Brian Epstein would have been proud of.

78/84 guy
12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, then you should probably remember that Chaim Witz and Stanley Eisen, by their own admission, were deliberately trying to be "the next Beatles" when they formed KI$$. And while the stage theatrics and the music itself was certainly different (despite Gene's delusions that he "sings like Paul McCartney") the marketing was something Brian Epstein would have been proud of.

That's true. But they hung around too long after the makeup. They should have broken up for 10/15 years. That band was huge in the 70's. Never liked them. A couple song's. The disco album didn't help. When they got together on MTV unplugged that was big. Just think if Gene & Paul didn't waste 10 years with other guy's in the band how big it would have been. It's pathetic what their doing lately with the makeup on. VH could have made a big splash too after all these years if Ed didn't waste the bands name on Sam & Gary. His kid didn't help the last tour.

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 07:11 AM
It's funny to think about how many people posting here have now lived longer than he did.

chefcraig
12-09-2010, 08:20 AM
It's funny to think about how many people posting here have now lived longer than he did.

A head-scratcher, ain't it? For some at this site, 40 years of age is a signpost of old foggiedom. For those close to the age, a humbling marker of the passage of time. For the rest of us, a reminder of what could have been, if only...

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I have to say it's starting look less likely that I am going to get an airport named after me.

ELVIS
12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Or a Stratocaster named after me...

Seshmeister
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Well at least you got the thongs...

http://images0.cpcache.com/product/257014780v0_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

FORD
12-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Not to mention his own church.....

http://www.24hourchurchofelvis.com/logo2.gif

Terry
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Was about the same age. Grew up listening to Beatles records handed down from various relatives (original Capitol 45's and LP's, which would have been worth some good money these days had I hung on to them), but since I wasn't old enough to remember when the Beatles were an active band it did seem kind of odd to see the amount of media coverage the assassination received...like, why was Lennon so important, etc. KISS was more important to me then as well, truth be told.

Some people seemed to fill up their idea of who John Lennon was with many of their hopes for a better world. From that I suppose people of a certain age felt that when he died some of that hope died with him. At least, these are some of the things that have been said. I think it was as much to do with the manner of death. Lennon didn't OD or die in a plane crash or car accident at the peak of his fame. He was gunned down by some random disturbed nutter who killed him to attain fame for himself. Just a waste, and a bit of a shame since Lennon seemed to be gearing up and heading towards a burst of creativity after several years of inactivity. I mean, there couldn't even be an amount of consolation that at least Lennon was killed for his efforts (effective or not) to highten consciousness on the possibilites for peace...murdered as he was walking towards his home, shot in the back by a warped loser who has now linked his name with Lennon's forever.

People probably do make a bit too much over it, but then again people fawn over celebrities a bit too much for my tastes in general.