X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALMOSTsaved
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

EVH - Eruption Biloxi, MS (04-05-86)

So after the big VH split I attended the 5150 tour stop in Biloxi, MS. Some friends and I recorded the show and I'm just now after MANY years listening to the tape. Overall, the show was disappointing as the band chose to play mainly the Hagar era tunes with a couple of cover tunes. Last night I converted the "Eruption" portion of the show to MP3 and uploaded to YouTube...

Here is the result...

I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

More bush league, introducing the guitar solo....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
      Veteran
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      More bush league, introducing the guitar solo....
      Was gonna say the same! Hated the fact that the guitar solo was being introduced. Thanks for calling it out.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Note to Sam:
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

That was awesome !!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
            That was awesome !!!

True, that solo kicked ass. No "noodling", no bullshit .Just ED gettin down to business.
            WTF happened to that guy?...........

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Eddie was so good on that tour. And Dave was so good on his Eat Em & Smile tour. Fuck, what could (should) have been.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                Eddie was so good on that tour. And Dave was so good on his Eat Em & Smile tour. Fuck, what could (should) have been.
                Exactly!
                It was the biggest shame in the history of Rock & Roll....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

It does bring up the point, though, that Ed has to switch up his solo this time around....

Eruption is a given, it's simply one of the greatest solos ever, so no problem, that stays for the end....

But everything else should be new....

No more Spanish Fly, no more Cathedral, no more 3:16....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

Actually later in the year (November) the same group of us recorded the "Eat 'Em And Smile" tour as well. The shitty thing is, we recorded the entire Cinderella set, but my friend, against my wishes insisted on just flipping the tape to record the first part of the Dave show. About 5 songs into Dave's set, a Security prick noticed the red light on the recorder and took it and the tape. He said we could pick it up in the front office after the show. We went there after the encore and you guessed it, no recorder was turned in. So somewhere on the Mississippi coast lurks a meathead Security asshole with a complete Cinderella "Night Songs" set and a partial Dave "Eat 'Em And Smile" set. I'd hate to think he trashed it...

Comment

• VAiN
                      Use my hand, I won't look
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Eruption is a given, it's simply one of the greatest solos ever, so no problem, that stays for the end....

I agree about switching it up... I feel he should play the intros before the songs as they appear on the album. He did it last time around with Mean Street and I loved it!
                      Originally posted by wiseguy
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

I pretty much wish that all bands would dump the solo spots. Even a three minute unaccompanied drum performance is tedious at this point. Yeah, yeah, you are a great musician, so hows about proving it by throwing in three or four more songs in the set, instead of showing off?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

It does bring up the point, though, that Ed has to switch up his solo this time around....

I agree to a point. But Cathedral is a must to me. It's just so fucking perfect & awesome. I get chills every time I hear it and think of how he does it. Such a simple idea, yet so masterfully done. Mind blowing. So many people that have rode in my car with me on road trips didn't even think how the song was done when it came on. Once I explained it , they became mesmerized by it as well.

When you actually get to witness him playing it, wow.

So maybe not a whole thing of it. But if he doesn't at least bust out 20-30 seconds of doing it, I'm gonna be let down.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

I agree to a point. But Cathedral is a must to me. It's just so fucking perfect & awesome. I get chills every time I hear it and think of how he does it. Such a simple idea, yet so masterfully done. Mind blowing. So many people that have rode in my car with me on road trips didn't even think how the song was done when it came on. Once I explained it , they became mesmerized by it as well.

When you actually get to witness him playing it, wow.

So maybe not a whole thing of it. But if he doesn't at least bust out 20-30 seconds of doing it, I'm gonna be let down.
                            The thing is, you can be let down in a much more hurtful way. What if the performer is indifferent, drunk or worse yet, a combination of the two? Generally speaking, think of those God-awful video clips of Michael Schenker clumsily wandering around a stage plunking a guitar, or more particularly a "performance" like this one, that can only be referred to as ghastly...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              The thing is, you can be let down in a much more hurtful way. What if the performer is indifferent, drunk or worse yet, a combination of the two?

Yeah. I've seen those bad clips of Eddie. Witnessed 1 myself on the 2004 reunion with Hagar. The more we love something, the more it's gonna hurt when we get let down. But I always had faith that as long as EVH & Dave were both breathing, they would get back together. And when I saw them in 2007 it all paid off. All that hurt finally got soothed and I saw the show of a lifetime (for me).

So...I guess what I'm saying is I'm prepared for let downs, as long as somehow I can hold out hope for a redemption in the future. This band is just so good that it's worth putting myself through it.

Comment

Working...