PDA

View Full Version : Another one gone - Gerry Rafferty

Seshmeister
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/8239825/Gerry-Rafferty.html

Tuesday 04 January 2011
Gerry Rafferty, the singer and songwriter who died on January 4 aged 63, had a smash hit in 1978 with Baker Street, a world-weary classic based on his experiences busking in the London Underground as a struggling young musician.

While a memorable line in his best-known song included a promise to “give up the booze and the one-night stands”, Rafferty never conquered his private demons. In London, in 2005, he collapsed, reportedly from a drugs overdose; and the following year, when he flew from California to visit a friend in Scotland, he was so drunk that he had to be carried off his privately chartered aircraft in a wheelchair.

Rafferty’s first chart success had come in 1973, as a member of a folk-rock band called Stealer’s Wheel. A commercially appealing single from their first album, Stuck In The Middle With You, received widespread radio airplay on account of its shuffling catchiness and went to No 8 in the British charts.
Rolling Stone magazine judged it “the best Dylan record since 1966”, and the song was later revived in a blood-curdling scene in the Quentin Tarantino film Reservoir Dogs (1992).
But it was the haunting Baker Street — with its searing saxophone riff — that propelled Rafferty into the pantheon of British rock legends. The song has remained a staple of soft-rock and easy-listening stations for more than 30 years — by 2004 it was reckoned to have received four million airplays — and at the time of his death continued to earn Rafferty around £80,000 annually in royalties.
Famously publicity-shy, Rafferty refused to promote the song in the United States, where the album from which it was taken had topped the bestselling charts and gone platinum. Instead he turned inwards, recording only sporadically and leading the life of an increasingly eccentric multi-millionaire rock recluse, last performing in public more than seven years ago.

Having sold some 10 million records in the course of his career, in 1983 he announced his intention to live in future “at my own pace, on my own terms”.

Latterly he had become embroiled in a public and acrimonious dispute with his elder brother Jim, who created a website on which he accused Rafferty — “my psychotic sibling” — of being overweight, drink-sodden and paranoid, and taunting him as “the Great Gutsby” and “the Human Bottlebank”.
Rafferty himself admitted that “there have been periods in my life where I have experienced depression", but insisted that “it has been through some of my darkest moments that I have written some of my best songs. For me, singing and writing is very therapeutic. It’s much more effective than taking Prozac.”

Gerald Rafferty was born on April 16 1947 into a working-class family at Paisley and grew up in a council house on the town’s Foxbar estate. He was educated at St Mirin’s Academy.
His Irish-born father was a heavy-drinking miner and lorry driver who died when Gerry was 16. Inspired by his Scottish mother, who had taught him Irish and Scottish folk songs as a boy, and heavily influenced by the music of The Beatles and Bob Dylan, the young Gerry started to write his own material.

As a teenager he taught himself to play banjo and busked illegally on the London Underground before returning to Scotland and a job as a clerk with the Department of Health and Social Security. By 1968, having left the Civil Service to work in a Clydeside shipyard, he was playing bass guitar in a succession of rock bands. But Rafferty soon realised that his heart lay in local folk clubs, and he joined a trio called the Humblebums with Tam Harvey and Rafferty’s fellow shipyard worker, the up-and-coming comedian Billy Connolly.

When they parted amicably in 1971 (as Connolly’s jokes became longer, the songs became shorter), Rafferty formed Stealer’s Wheel with Rab Noakes and his childhood friend Joe Egan. The group’s debut album, released in December 1972, was overseen by the American production partnership of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, and featured gentle, folksy harmonies and strong melody lines.
The album included the quirky Stuck In The Middle With You, with which Rafferty and Stealer’s Wheel enjoyed their biggest hit. But while it enjoyed great chart success in May 1973, the song proved to be a one-hit wonder; and after a kaleidoscopic succession of band members joining and leaving — Rafferty himself dropped out for a couple of months before returning to record a follow-up — Stealer’s Wheel vanished into obscurity.
Although disillusioned and preoccupied with management problems, Rafferty re-emerged five years later with a solo album, City To City, which sold more than five million copies, and which included a track called Baker Street.

When this song was released as a single in April 1978, it took the pop charts on both sides of the Atlantic by storm, reaching No 3 in Britain and No 2 in America.
The song transcended the regular folk genre on account of its signature saxophone riff played by Raphael Ravenscroft, who received a one-off session fee of £27. The cheque bounced, and Ravenscroft had it framed and hung on the wall of his lawyer’s office.
Ravenscroft’s bluesy riff, one of the most instantly recognisable in the entire popular canon, has since been the subject of various urban myths, including one that mystifyingly attributes it to the Blockbusters television presenter Bob Holness.
In fact Rafferty had been planning to sing the melody, but changed his mind. “At the last moment I decided the song needed a wailing, lonely, big-city sound to it,” he said. “The guy who eventually played the solo was a guy called Raphael Ravenscroft. With a name like that, I reckoned he had to be good – and he was.

“It’s every songwriter’s ambition to come up with at least one song in their lifetime that’s regarded as a classic,” he added. “And Baker Street is mine.”

After years of touring, Rafferty gave it up in 1983, declaring that he wanted to “watch my family grow”. In the same year he provided a vocal to the soundtrack of the film Local Hero (1983), and from time to time he released new material, including the albums North and South (1988) and, five years later, On A Wing And A Prayer, which featured backing vocals by his brother Jim, who also co-wrote some of the songs. The album also reunited Rafferty with his old partner from Stealer’s Wheel, Joe Egan.

Further albums were Over My Head in 1994 and Another World in 2000.

After the death of his younger brother, Joe, in 1995, a feud developed with his surviving sibling Jim, who set up a website called Effing Peasants, the insult Jim Rafferty claimed his rock star brother applied to him and his friends.

Rafferty’s last original album, Another World, was followed by a collection of his old hits Days Gone Down (2006).

In London in July 2008, Rafferty trashed his suite at a five-star hotel and was subsequently treated in hospital for liver problems. After undergoing tests on his health, damaged by years of heavy drinking, he disappeared in August that year, leaving behind his clothes and luggage. He subsequently lived in the West Country.

Gerry Rafferty married, in 1970, Carla Ventilla. The marriage was dissolved, and he is survived by a daughter.

© Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited 2011Terms and Conditions Today's NewsArchiveStyle BookWeather Forecast

chefcraig
01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
It's really sad. His drinking cost him his career, his marriage and ultimately his life. R.I.P. :(

Gerry Rafferty, Stealer's Wheel singer, dies at 63; 1970s soft-rock star sang 'Baker Street'

BY Jim Farber
DAILY NEWS MUSIC CRITIC (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2011/01/04/2011-01-04_gerry_rafferty_stealers_wheel_singer_dies_at_63 _1970s_softrock_star_sang_baker_s.html)

Gerry Rafferty, a czar of '70s soft-rock, died at his home this morning after a long illness at age 63. He had a long history of alcoholism and liver disease.

The Scottish-born star struck gold with several lifting and melodic hits during a decade entranced by such sounds. They ranged from the whimsical "Stuck in the Middle With You" to the wistful "Baker Street."

Born in Paisley, near Glasgow, Rafferty first made inroads to stardom by playing in Billy Connolly's folk group The Humblebums. He hit the big time after co-founding the pop group Stealer's Wheel in 1972 with a friend from school, Joe Egan. The band had a huge and enduring hit on both sides of the Atlantic in 1975 with "Stuck In The Middle With You." The song resurfaced, in an absurdist context, in the 1992 movie "Reservoir Dogs." It has been recognized by the publishing company BMI for having more than 4 million plays worldwide.

Rafferty left the band in 1977 for a solo career, highlighted by the expansive international hit "Baker Street," released in 1978. The song will be remembered as much for Raphael Ravenscroft's plush sax hook as for Rafferty's observational vocal. The song remained a staple of FM radio play for years, earning over 5 million plays worldwide, according to BMI. It earned the singer some 80,000 pounds annually, according to The Guardian in London.

A follow-up single, "Right Down The Line" got to No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 Song chart and No. 1 on the Hot Adult Contemporary list. The album that housed both singles, "City To City" hit the top position on the Billboard album chart.

While successful on the surface, Rafferty endured protracted battles with the record industry and had a well-documented drinking problem.

In 1990, he divorced his wife, Carla. She has been quoted as saying "I would never have left him if there'd been a glimmer of a chance of him recovering."

In July of 2008, Rafferty checked himself into St. Thomas Hospital, suffering from a chronic liver condition.

Most recently, Rafferty lived in Dorset near his daughter Martha, who was with him when he died.

The star last released an album of new material, "Another World," back in 2000. His most recent compilation came out in November 2009. He titled it "Life Goes On."

Seshmeister
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
To sell 10 million albums without promoting them was incredible.

When "City To City" went to #1 in the US the record company over there went ballistic when he refused to fly over. :)

I saw him play a few songs at the end of a Billy Connolly show for a local charity what feels like 5 years ago but no doubt was closer to 15, can't find it online but he was on good form that night.

I'm pretty amazed that he was still making $130k a year from radio royalties, glad he didn't end up destitute.

Diamondjimi
01-04-2011, 07:09 PM
R.i.p.

FORD
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Not many people manage to be a "one hit wonder" twice and still manage to have both songs played on the radio more than 30 years later. That in and of itself is more of a legacy than most can leave behind.

Rest in peace, Gerry :(

sonrisa salvaje
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I loved Baker Street but Right Down the Line was a great song as well. That one was my favorite. I still hear the latter played a lot too so i'm sure that contributed to his royalties as well. Maybe a 3 hit wonder would be more applicable, but damn, what a parlay. God i wish i could go back to 1978 again. We love you Gerry.

kwame k
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Totally agree :beers8:

Still one of my all time favs is, "Stuck in the Middle with You"!

"Clowns to the left of me/jokers to the right/here I am/stuck in the middle with you". A classic line.

CROWBAR
01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Think Dave did a cover of Bakerstreet that ended up on his No Holds BBQ video. RIP Raff-erty

chefcraig
01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Think Dave did a cover of Bakerstreet that ended up on his No Holds BBQ video. RIP Raff-erty

I'm pretty sure the Foo Fighters covered it as well.

CROWBAR
01-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Foo Fighters covered it as well.

Yep, they did.

kwame k
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lH5SFemG8CI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lH5SFemG8CI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chefcraig
01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Yep, they did.

Thanks for the confirmation. There were so many cover versions in that era (mid 1990s-early 2000s) that wound up on movie soundtracks, charity compilation albums or label samplers that it really is hard to pinpoint who did what when. :baaa:

CROWBAR
01-09-2011, 05:38 PM
When "City To City" went to #1 in the US the record company over there went ballistic when he refused to fly over. :)

What's the story there? Didn't like Yankees? Or planes?

fifth element
01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Gerry, RIP....

I still enjoy your music...
Right Down the Line is an amazing piece of music

Seshmeister
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Totally agree :beers8:

Still one of my all time favs is, "Stuck in the Middle with You"!

"Clowns to the left of me/jokers to the right/here I am/stuck in the middle with you". A classic line.

He said that he wrote it after spending an incredibly boring night out with a bunch of record company executives to celebrate being signed to a new label.

kwame k
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
He said that he wrote it after spending an incredibly boring night out with a bunch of record company executives to celebrate being signed to a new label.

.....makes the song better to know that.

chefcraig
01-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Reminds me of that classic Pink Floyd line from "Have A Cigar": "Yes, the band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far,
fly high, you're never gonna die, you're gonna make it if you try;
they're gonna love you.
Well I've always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely.
The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think.
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?
And did we tell you the name of the game, boy,
we call it Riding the Gravy Train.

We're just knocked out, we heard about the sell out.
You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people.
We're so happy we can hardly count.
Everybody else is just green, have you seen the chart?
It's a helluva start, it could be made into a monster
if we all pull together as a team.

fifth element
01-09-2011, 05:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAIsqvTh7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sedPivIxfM

High Life Man
01-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I wonder if he was thankful to Tarantino for a bit of a resurgance. 'Stuck' was such a big part of 'Reservoir Dogs.'

FORD
01-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Reminds me of that classic Pink Floyd line from "Have A Cigar": "Yes, the band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far,
fly high, you're never gonna die, you're gonna make it if you try;
they're gonna love you.
Well I've always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely.
The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think.
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

We're just knocked out, we heard about the sell out.
You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people.
We're so happy we can hardly count.
Everybody else is just green, have you seen the chart?
It's a helluva start, it could be made into a monster
if we all pull together as a team.

Oddly enough, the Foo Fighters covered that one too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lD9r7T2VrM

Seshmeister
01-10-2011, 07:01 AM
I wonder if he was thankful to Tarantino for a bit of a resurgance. 'Stuck' was such a big part of 'Reservoir Dogs.'

I don't think he was hugely bothered one way or the other. He had all the money he needed and never chased after fame.

He had been approached by Tarantino who wrote him a letter saying how it was one of his favourite tracks. Rafferty had a problem with it though after reading the script because he was very anti violence. In the end he agreed for the sake of his pal and co writer Joe Egan who never had the same solo success.

He later admitted that the way stuck was used in the film was 'very clever' though.

Seshmeister
01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Gerry Rafferty's funeral is held in Paisley

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50893000/jpg/_50893461_funeralmontage466.jpg
(Clockwise from top) Gerry Rafferty's coffin, First Minister Alex Salmond, order of service, The Proclaimers

About 400 people have attended the funeral of Scottish singer-songwriter Gerry Rafferty in his home town of Paisley, Renfrewshire.

Rafferty - best known for his hit single Baker Street - died two weeks ago at the age of 63.

Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond, The Proclaimers, and artist John Byrne, were among those attending the Requiem Mass at St Mirin's Cathedral.

Rafferty died at his home in Dorset on 4 January following a long illness.

The service took place in the cathedral where Rafferty married his wife Carla, from whom he split in the 1990s.

'Wonderfully talented'
Mourners included his daughter Martha, granddaughter Celia and other family members.

The funeral Mass was celebrated by Father John Tormey, who described Rafferty as a "wonderfully talented Paisley man".

He said: "He was a talented musician and a warm and loving person to his family and friends, and was a loving and devoted father and grandfather, and a wonderful soulmate to those close to him.

His legacy lives on. The saxophone piece from Baker Street has been thumping in my head all of my life”

"He was very much aware of the spiritual element and you will find that in his songs.

"He always searched for a more authentic way to live his life, shunning the outward trappings of celebrity so that he might live as he chose to live his life."

Other mourners at the service included MSPs Hugh Henry, Wendy Alexander and Robin Harper.

Playwright and artist John Byrne gave the eulogy and said he felt "privileged" to have known Rafferty.

He said: "I think back to the wonderful times and memories of when we all used to go up to the old art deco Rogano in Glasgow, we had great nights and great fun and great talk, food, and great songs.

"Gerry was very single-minded, which he used wonderfully well. He had hundreds and hundreds of wonderful, brilliant and marvellous songs.

"He was very, very funny, Gerard. He was a very serious and very thoughtful person."

'Strong spirit'
Mr Byrne said he went to see Rafferty in November.

He said: "When I saw him in Stroud a few weeks before he died his spirit was strong and he had a serenity about him which I thought was wonderful."

During the service six members of Rafferty's family sang one of his lesser-known songs, Whatever's Written in Your Heart.

Playwright and artist John Byrne gave the eulogy
After the Mass, Rafferty's coffin was placed in a waiting hearse and white flowers were heaped upon it.

As the vehicle pulled away, onlookers gave a round of applause.

The service was followed by a private cremation.

Speaking outside the cathedral, Mr Salmond said he was particularly touched by the family singing one of Rafferty's songs.

He said: "The highlight was the family singing. How they managed to deliver such a wonderful melody in these circumstances... it was a really emotional moment and a fitting tribute to a great musician.

"His legacy lives on. The saxophone piece from Baker Street has been thumping in my head all of my life.

"I was on the phone to Charlie Reid from The Proclaimers and asked him about Letter From America, which Gerry Rafferty helped produce, and he was talking about how kind he had been to them as young musicians.

"Part of the legacy is what you do for people that come after so I think that is a fitting tribute."

Rafferty had battled a drink problem and spent time in hospital in Bournemouth with liver failure before his death.

Struggled with success
His career high came in the 1970s and included Baker Street and Stuck in the Middle with You, recorded with his band Stealers Wheel.

Baker Street charted in the UK and US in 1978 after Rafferty began his solo career and is still played on radio stations around the world.

In 1987, Rafferty co-produced Letter from America, a massive hit for Scottish band The Proclaimers.

Charlie Reid, from the band, told BBC Scotland he had "exclusively good memories" of making the record.

Reid said that Rafferty had been at the "absolute top of the commercial tree" but had struggled with his success.

"He was not entirely comfortable with fame," he said.

"Even more so than most people who work in this business, he saw it as not a good thing.

"He was quite proud of the fact he had only been recognised a couple of times by people coming up to him saying 'are you Gerry Rafferty?'."

"Apparently both times he had denied it and said he was his brother."