PDA

View Full Version : 'Homophobic' Dire Straits hit Money For Nothing banned from radio

Seshmeister
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
By LIZ THOMAS
Last updated at 2:17 AM on 14th January 2011

Mark Knopfler's song has been blasted as 'extremely offensive' to gays and lesbians

It may be a classic rock song but 26 years after it was first released Dire Straits hit Money For Nothing has been banned from radio.

The song was ruled too offensive for the airwaves in Canada because it contains the word “faggot” and can now no longer be played in its original form.

Any station that wants to play the song will have to edit it or disguise the word, according to a ruling by the Canadian Broadcasts Standards Council.

The decision came after a listener complained that the broadcast of unedited version of the song – which mentions the word faggot three times – was “extremely offensive” to gay, lesbian and bisexual people.

The songs second verse contains the offensive word three times.
It says: ‘The little “faggot” with the earring and the makeup. Yeah, buddy, that’s his own hair'

‘That little “faggot’s” got his own jet airplane. That little “faggot” he’s a millionaire'.

The entire verse is edited out of some versions of the song, or the word is simply replaced.

The council concluded that 'faggot,' when used to describe a homosexual man, is a word 'that, even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so.'

'The societal values at issue a quarter century later have shifted and the broadcast of the song in 2010 must reflect those values, rather than those of 1985.'

Co-written in 1985 by Mark Knopfler and Sting, Money For Nothing is penned from the perspective of a working class man who spends his time watching music videos and comments on what he sees.

In an interview with Rolling Stone around the time the song was released Knopfler said: ‘I got an objection from the editor of a gay newspaper in London - he actually said it was 'below the belt.'

'Apart from the fact that there are stupid gay people as well as stupid other people, it suggests that maybe you can't let it have so many meanings - you have to be direct.

'In fact, I'm still in two minds as to whether it's a good idea to write songs that aren't in the first person, to take on other characters.

'The singer in 'Money for Nothing' is a real ignoramus, hard hat mentality - somebody who sees everything in financial terms.

'I mean, this guy has a grudging respect for rock stars. He sees it in terms of, well, that's not working and yet the guys rich: that's a good scam.’

The song was a number one hit in the US, reached number four in the UK charts and was the first music video to air on MTV Europe.

FORD
01-13-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that verse was censored out of the single/radio version in the US even in the 80's.

They played the video on MTV though. And in the video version, it's odd how the "little faggot" in question looks a lot like someone we all know and loathe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnA0ix9hZU

Seshmeister
01-14-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm not a fan but still heard the song a hundred times without ever noticing the faggot word.

BadassMOFO
01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Awesome record ...I'm glad I already got it ...before they ban that too!

Seshmeister
01-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah it's not like it hasn't had enough airplay already.

That said next time I meet a homo I'll need to ask them if they find the word faggot in this context 'Extremely offensive', I thought it was a pretty mild word.

sadaist
01-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Homophobic? You don't have to be a homosexual to be a faggot.

Cool tune though. Sting really adds that extra touch to put it over the top. I like a few Dire Straits songs. Knopfler is amazing. He just didn't really play the type of music I like. Sultans Of Swing is their best IMO.

Seshmeister
01-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Homophobic? You don't have to be a homosexual to be a faggot.

That's what I thought, a woose, someone who is camp or cowardly. We usually use the word poof over here, in Scotland it's a jessie.

lesfunk
01-14-2011, 01:27 AM
YAY the world is saved!
Just for the record, Fuck Fags, Dykes, N****rs, Wops, Honkies, Chinks, Gooks, Dot Heads, Towel Heads,Oven Dodgers, Micks, Frogs, Republicans, Democrats, Commies, libs, neocons, Cats, Dogs, Swedes, Kiwis, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Saccho and Vanzetti and everybody else

Golden AWe
01-14-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm not a fan but still heard the song a hundred times without ever noticing the faggot word.

Same here. Btw, how is it homophobic? I feel the word "faggot" is not about the sexuality, really. I feel it's just another word to describe whining, spoiled, grown-up brats, no matter what their sexual orientation is. Like "wanker". People can be "wankers" even if they never master baited. "Mental master baiters"!

binnie
01-14-2011, 03:53 AM

Second that. Who on earth complains about stuff like this?

sadaist
01-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Who on earth complains about stuff like this?

Fags?

binnie
01-14-2011, 05:09 AM
:D

Doubt it, though. Quite often when it comes to 'politcal correctness' the groups who are supposedly 'offended' are not the ones doing the compaiing

GreenBayLA
01-14-2011, 06:15 AM
I heard about Canadians banning song from 1985, a little slow, eh?

twonabomber
01-14-2011, 07:05 AM
YAY the world is saved!
Just for the record, Fuck Fags, Dykes, N****rs, Wops, Honkies, Chinks, Gooks, Dot Heads, Towel Heads,Oven Dodgers, Micks, Frogs, Republicans, Democrats, Commies, libs, neocons, Cats, Dogs, Swedes, Kiwis, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Saccho and Vanzetti and everybody else

don't forget the mooleys, zipperheads, and the wagonburners.

and that's half-wop to you!

Von Halen
01-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Just what the Canucks need. One ADDITIONAL reason to show the rest of the world why they are so irrelevant. That is what this is about. Trying to make themselves seem relevant. It won't work.
The little faggit Canadians should try to find themselves some other way to con the rest of the world into thinking anybody cares what the fuck they have to say. Hey Canada, shut up and remain America's bitch to the north, eh.

Love the opening guitar riff in this song. I like the Live Aid version too, where Sting came out with them.

Jagermeister
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Just what the Canucks need. One ADDITIONAL reason to show the rest of the world why they are so irrelevant. That is what this is about. Trying to make themselves seem relevant. It won't work.
The little faggit Canadians should try to find themselves some other way to con the rest of the world into thinking anybody cares what the fuck they have to say. Hey Canada, shut up and remain America's bitch to the north, eh.Love the opening guitar riff in this song. I like the Live Aid version too, where Sting came out with them.

:lmao:

Seshmeister
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Yuppy music

Nickdfresh
01-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I hear bundles-of-sticks and cigarettes were also offended....

Kristy
01-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Love the opening guitar riff in this song.

One of the best guitar riffs ever written

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
The little faggit Canadians should try to find themselves some other way to con the rest of the world into thinking anybody cares what the fuck they have to say. Hey Canada, shut up and remain America's bitch to the north, eh.

See, now THIS is an example of how the world views a typical American stereotype Fuckbag. aka(Small penis syndrome)

Like the citizens of America, Canadian citizens have little or Zero say in the country's politics. To judge a country's people based on their govt's politics is pathetic. I certainly don't...

Realevent? Who cares....

You should be thankful N.Korea isn't your neighbour! :handjob:

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Agreed.

ThrillsNSpills
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I think attempting to condition people to be offended at something that flat out doesn't wreck anyone's life is petty and manipulative.

Speaking of Petty , they should just plug in the backwards Joint insert from Tom Petty's You Don't Know How it Feels and put that where faggot was.

canadians are just angry because they have such fucked up accents. heheh

Ford was that Hagar?

sadaist
01-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Sounds awful when I try to play it.

:hee:

ThrillsNSpills
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1LRtjVt0LUc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1LRtjVt0LUc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Speaking of offensive, what's the second line in this song? The way Bon sings it.....?
(not what the lyric sheet says)

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
It's "Season ticket on a one way ride." If you listen close. But yes it does sound like "She's a ni**er on a one way ride"....

What amazes me is that they haven't jumped all over The Who' Who are You, yet. (Who the fuck are you?)

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
The Canadian government DID NOT ban money for nothing.
The Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code was neither created nor administered by the Canadian government.

The council is an independent, non-governmental group created to administer standards established by its members, canada's private broadcasters.

Its membership includes more than 700 private radio and TV stations across the country.

It is the PRIVATE BROADCASTERS that put the ban into effect

FORD
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Ford was that Hagar?

Sure looked like him, didn't it? Could be an identical twin to the way Spammy looked in 1985

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/418137248_977d657c03.jpg

FORD
01-14-2011, 07:21 PM
What amazes me is that they haven't jumped all over The Who' Who are You, yet. (Who the fuck are you?)

They play a butchered version of that on the radio now too. :(

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
canadians are just angry because they have such fucked up accents. heheh

Have you ever even met and talked to a Canadian in person? Just curious...

The only Canadians with "fucked up" accents are from Quebec and Newfoundland. ;)

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
National Post Staff January 14, 2011 – 4:55 pm

By Charmaine Kerridge

A day after the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ruled the Dire Straits’ 1985 hit Money for Nothing was unfit for radio play due to a gay slur in its lyrics, the band’s keyboardist, Guy Fletcher, posted a message on his website decrying the decision.

Calling the ruling “unbelievable,” Fletcher wrote that Mark Knopfler, the song’s writer, will now substitute the word “fudger” for “faggot” for use on Canadian airwaves. “I reckon Canada could ban about 75% of ALL records ever made,” he wrote later.

The ruling was prompted by a listener objection in St. John’s, N.L., and applies to every Canadian radio station. However, two radio stations in Edmonton and Halifax are protesting the decision, saying they will not comply with the CBSC ruling, the Canadian Press reported. Edmonton’s classic rock station K-97 and Halifax’s Q104, which are both owned by NewCap Radio — are planning to run the unedited song in its entirety for one hour.

“We believe that this decision may trivialize the meaningful work done to further the cause of the LGBT community and could actually work against them by creating a sense of excessive political correctness at the cost of the fundamental freedom of speech,” Q104′s J.C. Douglas said in a statement.

Read more: http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/01/14/dire-straits-guy-fletcher-responds-to-canadian-song-ban/#ixzz1B3lBc5hT

LINK (http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/01/14/dire-straits-guy-fletcher-responds-to-canadian-song-ban/)

ThrillsNSpills
01-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Have you ever even met and talked to a Canadian in person? Just curious...

The only Canadians with "fucked up" accents are from Quebec and Newfoundland. ;)

Talked to one from Ontario just last night. Had to break your balls since your savicki chop will give me nightmares at some point.

chefcraig
01-14-2011, 07:55 PM
When Pink Floyd's The Final Cut album came out in 1983, this song was released as a single. It received quite a bit of airplay in it's original form, and was only edited some time later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnQ65J02XA

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Talked to one from Ontario just last night. Had to break your balls since your savicki chop will give me nightmares at some point.

:lol:

Where abouts in Ontario?

FORD
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
When Pink Floyd's The Final Cut album came out in 1983, this song was released as a single. It received quite a bit of airplay in it's original form, and was only edited some time later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnQ65J02XA

Yeah, I remember that one being on the radio. The last real Pink Floyd single. Now they won't even play "Money" without censoring out the word "bullshit".

Another thing I just remembered about "Money For Nothing" though. I had this religious book written by some record burning fundagelicals who wrote in their book that the song "Money For Nothing" was "PRO homosexual", because the line "that little faggot's got his own jet airplane. that little faggot, he's a millionaire" was encouraging young people to "choose" to be gay in order to become rich and famous.

Of course that wasn't the craziest thing written in that book. It also referred to Prince as "theatrical Satan rock" and Pink Floyd as a "punk rock band".

Diamondjimi
01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Another thing I just remembered about "Money For Nothing" though. I had this religious book written by some record burning fundagelicals who wrote in their book that the song "Money For Nothing" was "PRO homosexual", because the line "that little faggot's got his own jet airplane. that little faggot, he's a millionaire" was encouraging young people to "choose" to be gay in order to become rich and famous.

Of course that wasn't the craziest thing written in that book. It also referred to Prince as "theatrical Satan rock" and Pink Floyd as a "punk rock band".

Enough reasons right there to go and demand your money back...:biggrin:

ThrillsNSpills
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
:lol:

Where abouts in Ontario?

not sure. 705 area code though...

Terry
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Soooooo...basically homosexuals have the right to express their sexuality without fear of persecution, but heterosexuals under no circumstances whatsoever have any right to so much as even verbally express their opposition to homosexuality...

Whatever. I was sick of that Dire Straits song within a month of when it was FIRST released and overplayed to death on the radio and MTV (although I can't remember the last time I even heard it on the radio; seems a bit silly to push for banning a song that isn't exactly in heavy rotation anymore).

chefcraig
01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Soooooo...basically homosexuals have the right to express their sexuality without fear of persecution, but heterosexuals under no circumstances whatsoever have any right to so much as even verbally express their opposition to homosexuality...

Not exactly, read the fine print:

The decision came after a listener complained that the broadcast of unedited version of the song – which mentions the word faggot three times – was “extremely offensive” to gay, lesbian and bisexual people.

So in effect, one person bitched about the song. That's right, one person in 26 years complained about it the use of a word in a pop song. Hopefully, we can all sleep better at night knowing there are such astute and on the ball folks like that out there.

Terry
01-14-2011, 08:49 PM
If homosexuals can have a gay pride parade, does that mean heterosexuals can have an anti-gay pride parade?

I'm terribly vexed by all this. As long as Anita Bryant doesn't make a comeback and start banning Starbucks Mocha Frappucinos, I suppose I can cope.

Terry
01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Not exactly, read the fine print:

So in effect, one person bitched about the song. That's right, one person in 26 years complained about it the use of a word in a pop song. Hopefully, we can all sleep better at night knowing there are such astute and on the ball folks like that out there.

I don't WANT to read the fine print! I want to quickly scan the first thread post, identify a few key words, assume that I've got the jist of the topic even if I don't, and then proceed to make a half-informed irrelevant series of comments on the subject (you know, like Glenn Beck does).

Guitar Shark
01-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm terribly vexed by all this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0t2pWUWE1Y8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0t2pWUWE1Y8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ThrillsNSpills
01-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Do you remember when Jet Airliner came out in the 70's and half the stations played 'funky shit' and the other half played 'funky kicks' ?

i remember thinking if it's not absolutely required to change it why would stations change it?

chefcraig
01-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't WANT to read the fine print! I want to quickly scan the first thread post, identify a few key words, assume that I've got the jist of the topic even if I don't, and then proceed to make a half-informed irrelevant series of comments on the subject (you know, like Glenn Beck does).

You do realize that by saying "Hopefully, we can all sleep better at night knowing there are such astute and on the ball folks like that out there." I was not referring to you, right? :baaa:

Guitar Shark
01-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you remember when Jet Airliner came out in the 70's and half the stations played 'funky shit' and the other half played 'funky kicks' ?

Oh, Big ol' Jed had a light on
Don't carry me too far away

chefcraig
01-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Ever the visionary, Miller released the song "Take The Money And Run" in 1976 with the lines:

"Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is"

Naturally, this wouldn't make any sense at all until a decade later, when the fax machine was introduced to the public at large.

FORD
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM

i remember thinking if it's not absolutely required to change it why would stations change it?

"funky kicks" was on the 45" version of the song. "shit" was the album version. Think I still have both of them somewhere....

More ridiculous was this little piece of censorship......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3KXwd8ZWQ

I had no idea that "..when she's sitting on your face" or "wishing you could get inside her pants" was considered profanity, but apparently so.

chefcraig
01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
I had no idea that "..when she's sitting on your face" or "wishing you could get inside her pants" was considered profanity, but apparently so.

Try reading the lyrics to "SIAMESE TWINS (THE MONKEY AND ME)". You might be in for a surprise there as well. :baaa:

It wasn't until sometime in the early nineties that I realized what KISS "Nuthin' To Lose" was really about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW5TP2Y3dug&feature=related

Hardrock69
01-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Hmmm.....this is beyond stupid. I mean, banning that song 26 years AFTER it was a radio HIT and was played MILLIONS OF TIMES on the radio.

What are they going to do next, try to ban any works by the Marquis de Sade?

Fucking idiots.

Nitro Express
01-15-2011, 03:27 AM
I can't believe it's been 26 years since they came out with that shitty song with Sting and the shitty video was played on MTV. Back in the good ol days when faggot was a general term to describe someone who was acting like a jerk. If you didn't like what someone was doing you would tell them to stop it you faggot or to insult someone by calling them a faggot.

twonabomber
01-15-2011, 04:42 AM
Hmmm.....this is beyond stupid. I mean, banning that song 26 years AFTER it was a radio HIT and was played MILLIONS OF TIMES on the radio.

What are they going to do next, try to ban any works by the Marquis de Sade?

Fucking idiots.

after the Janet Jackson halftime show "scandal," Clear Channel and CBS radio put out directives that certain songs not be played due to s-bombs or f-bombs. the program director of the local classic rock station does the mid-morning shift, and went on a rant about how he's played Money and Jet Airliner and whatever for YEARS and now he wasn't able to.

they always play Maggot Brain at midnight Saturday after the all request "houseparty" show, not sure if they stopped that or if they felt that midnight fell under the Safe Harbor rule.

Mr. Vengeance
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
As a Canadian I can say that the usual American few with their dumb jokes is expected.

As a Canadian I say that the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council are a bunch of faggots .

FORD
01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
We have to thank the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council for one thing though.....

If they hadn't demanded "more Canadian content" from SCTV back in the day, we never would have heard of Bob & Doug McKenzie, eh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFPt001PYU

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
after the Janet Jackson halftime show "scandal," Clear Channel and CBS radio put out directives that certain songs not be played due to s-bombs or f-bombs. the program director of the local classic rock station does the mid-morning shift, and went on a rant about how he's played Money and Jet Airliner and whatever for YEARS and now he wasn't able to.

they always play Maggot Brain at midnight Saturday after the all request "houseparty" show, not sure if they stopped that or if they felt that midnight fell under the Safe Harbor rule.

It's funny every so often I hear the word fuck in the lyrics of heavier bands on the local classic rock station in the middle of the day. I think they get away with it because no one notices or most of the listeners are over 30 anyway. You do a double take but it's already gone by that point. What they can't do is play something like the last chorus of Killing in the Name of or sweary GN'R songs.

I don't understand why they can't have unlimited swearing after 9pm like they can with TV, it seems to be a tradition rather than anything else.

BigBadBrian
01-18-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that verse was censored out of the single/radio version in the US even in the 80's.

Not around here. Heard it the other day, faggot and all.

SunisinuS
01-20-2011, 08:06 PM
I thought somebody would have already mentioned this....but Knopfler wrote the song by "quoting" some workers who were using the language as they worked (uh...moving Tv's ect). It was observed and reported in Art. This whole objection is about on the par with uneducated people banning the N-word from Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

It just shows that schools are failing children.

Shakespeare wrote "to be or not to be...." and had a character commit suicide. Ozzy wrote Suicide Solution. Now whose parents is suing over their kid emulating Hamlet or is there just no money in it?

Little Texan
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Not around here. Heard it the other day, faggot and all.

Yep, every time I've ever heard it on the radio it included the faggot bits.

chefcraig
01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I thought somebody would have already mentioned this....but Knopfler wrote the song by "quoting" some workers who were using the language as they worked (uh...moving Tv's ect). It was observed and reported in Art. This whole objection is about on the par with uneducated people banning the N-word from Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

Yes, it's called poetic license. Unfortunately, people still misconstrue the meaning of things. I'm fairly certain that you can find folks in parts of the U.S. that believe shows like Law & Order (or even MacGyver) are documentaries.

Ozzy wrote Suicide Solution.

I have doubts that Ozzy Osbourne ever wrote a lyric in his life.

ThrillsNSpills
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM

Me too, but since watching his old MTV show I'm convinced he could write syllables.

FORD
01-20-2011, 10:09 PM

No, he definitely wrote some of the Sabbath stuff. Actually, it's easy to tell what was his and what was Geezer's work.

If it was some serious subject like War Pigs or Hand of Doom, it was Geezer's work.

If it was something silly about fairies wearing boots and dancing with dwarves, it was Ozzy.

And if you heard an early live version of a song, and the lyrics had changed completely by the time it was recorded, that means they started out with Ozzy's lyrics, and then Geezer improved it.

Seshmeister
01-21-2011, 09:24 AM
To be fair Ozzy did write a lot of the vocal melodies so for example Tattooed Dancer on No Rest for the Wicked started as 'I had a real hot curry just the other night and it's burning my arse' which Bob Daisley then fixed to 'Well she's a mean hard woman and she knows what she wants'.