PDA

View Full Version : House Of Flying Daggers

Hardrock69
01-16-2011, 01:39 AM
An acquaintance recommended this to me yesterday. Stopped into my local used media store and found it for $2.95.

Same director as "Hero" (which starred Jet Li), and with some of the same actors as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

This film leaves Crouching Tiger in the dust.

Just now finished watching it, and had to rant.

Cinematography was incredible. The cinematographer had an incredible eye, and the visuals were stunning!
The storyline was absolutely moving.
The costumes were elegant, and world class.

The movie in general was astonishing.

I knew before I watched it that I wanted to watch it in it's original language with subtitles.
Chinese is actually quite a beautiful language.
But it was so well done, it was not even necessary to have subtitles.
Sort of like the Kurosawa film "Seven Samurai". The acting so superb it transcends all cultural barriers.

Next film I am looking for at the used media place is "Hero".

Just wanted to rant about it. The extreme opposite of the spectrum from the crummy Hong-Kong action flicks with horrible dubbing when it comes to historical martial arts films.

Though, even with the martial arts being in this film, it is so beyond that classification I cannot really even consider it a "martial arts" film.

More like a cinematic masterpiece.

I highly recommend this film, even for people who are not into the martial arts aspect.
I am going to loan it to my Mom who is in her late 70s, and I know she will love it.

End rant here.