PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony...yeah...right...

POJO_Risin
02-18-2011, 11:52 PM
He's going to the Lakers...he's staying in Denver...he's going to New Jersey...

...give me a fucking break. Everyone knows that this cat is going to New York. Why?

That's where he wants to go.

It's another case of the inmates running the asylum...we all know this fuck is not only going to go to fucking New York, but get a new contract to boot.

What a fucking joke.

POJO_Risin
02-18-2011, 11:57 PM
...and Chris Paul will be soon to follow...

So now...we get the era of fucking "Super Teams." This is good for the NBA how?

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I hear you, I'm fuckin tired of it. I used to watch all of the big 4 sports, any team, any time, now I watch the NFL, The Wings, Tigers, and Pistons and in that order to. I love hoop, played in Gus Mackers almost every weekend back in the day but I hate watching the NBA. Just a bunch of overpaid, egotistical pussies that would have never made it when the REAL Lakers, Celtics, and Bad Boys were throwing down. Now you get 35 seconds of action, a whistle and free throws. Fuck that. Now you get all the so called stars picking what team they want to play for and all of them want the easy way out by joining other so called stars, it is a crock of shit. Be the foundation for YOUR team you fucking loser. Stop bailing on the team that drafted you and took a chance on you in the first place. I am all for free agency but the fact that teams can't keep the face of their franchise is killing the game. Fuck the NBA.

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Although the Miami fiasco was a joke, it is not necessarily going to be successful = Title.

The league needs to agree to a hard cap and revenue sharing like the NFL if there is any hope.

But therein lies the problem...the owners won't agree to it. Don't be blaming the players for trying to find the best fit - for whatever reason - for them. The players shouldn't be beholden to a team in perpetuity because they were drafted. The league should further encourage players staying with their drafting team with further salary cap advantages let's say. I would rather see players stay with their teams long term, but it is unfair to give all the power to the owners, who are not without fault.

I blame the greedy owners in the large markets and Stern for not making them see the light.

Pojo, you are off base on this one

chefcraig
02-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Something that I don't quite follow in this mess (and maybe one of you guys could take the time to explain it for me) is that Anthony will be a free agent this summer, right? So why should any of these teams be jumping through hoops in order to come up with some far-reaching mega-deal, when all they have to do is make no offer whatsoever now and just wait until then? From the way I'm reading this, it truly doesn't make any sense. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 07:27 PM
They think they have a shot this year and all the rumored deals revolve around him signing an extension so they wouldn't lose him at the end of the season. Any team other then the Knicks would be crazy to trade for him without a new contract.

chefcraig
02-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Dale. So it comes down to being competitive this season? Weird. I guess we'll know how this shakes out in 5 days or less.

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Although the Miami fiasco was a joke, it is not necessarily going to be successful = Title.

The league needs to agree to a hard cap and revenue sharing like the NFL if there is any hope.

But therein lies the problem...the owners won't agree to it. Don't be blaming the players for trying to find the best fit - for whatever reason - for them. The players shouldn't be beholden to a team in perpetuity because they were drafted. The league should further encourage players staying with their drafting team with further salary cap advantages let's say. I would rather see players stay with their teams long term, but it is unfair to give all the power to the owners, who are not without fault.

I blame the greedy owners in the large markets and Stern for not making them see the light.

Pojo, you are off base on this one

The players have plenty of control in the NBA, how many big guaranteed contracts have teams eaten? In the NFL you can cut a bad contract, in the NBA you eat it or trade it. Now I know it is the owners fault for allowing GMs to hand out these contracts in the first place, I'm just saying the players don't have it so bad in the NBA and I still feel a team should be able to keep the face of their franchise by matching any contract offered to them, that is fair to owners and players in my opinion.

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Dale. So it comes down to being competitive this season? Weird. I guess we'll know how this shakes out in 5 days or less.

Should have clarified, everyone but the Nets feel they have a shot lol. The Nets owner just wants to flash some cash around by trading for and signing a big name.

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm just saying the players don't have it so bad in the NBA and I still feel a team should be able to keep the face of their franchise by matching any contract offered to them, that is fair to owners and players in my opinion.

Well that would be slavery, wouldn't it?

I say construct the CBA it so that the drafting team can pay more...significantly more, say 15-20%.

Currently it exists but the amount they can pay more than another team is a few % if I recall.

I just don't know how you can critisize someone for looking after their best interests. I wish Lebron would have stayed. I am sure some of my former employers wish I was still there.

Mrs. Nesbith sure liked how I delivered the paper on time, but I'll be damned if I will do that past age 15 just because she wants me too.

These are grown men, not kids. They can make any decision they want.

Put the incentives in the right place in the CBA to make the league a prosperous long-term success for all cities...not just the big markets.

Any other discussion is just Pollyanna wishful thinking

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Slavery? Really? I'm sure all the real slaves would have loved living the pampered lifestyle of a NBA player. Using the franchise tag in the NFL is slavery also? I don't get the comparison. It is a privilege to play in the NBA or any sports league, why would it be unfair to give a team the right to match a contract offer? The player would make the same amount of money they would by signing with the other team and when you are talking million of dollars per season can you really say slavery? I doubt any team would hold a player hostage that truly didn't want to be there by matching a 6+ year high dollar contract, what sense would that make?

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 09:59 PM
You seem to be hung up on the money aspect of it.

Let's say you are an engineer or a dentist and you have an employer.

After graduating from school you sign a contract for 3 years.

So what you are saying is, you would be fine with you being obligated to your current employer no matter what just becasue he matched the offer?

That is slavery...What if your current employer did not hold any prospects for advancement? Is that fair? Perhaps a player wantes to move because the team has a history of treating medical issues better...who knows

1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work
3. the condition of being subject to some influence or habit

Sure I am exagerrating a tad, but the point is valid...you cannot exert control over another and have a player beholden to one team.

Maybe the player is being threatened in that city and simply wants a change. There are a thousand reasons why a player may want to move.

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 10:03 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think professional athletes are spoiled and how "I would play for the love of the game" Yah sure.

How many players get cut in the NFL one game from their pension? Or worse, are basically mental cases from concussions - broke and lives ruined with their league abandoning them.

Focussing on the top 0.5% of elite players as the norm is ridiculous

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
It is a privilege to play in the NBA or any sports league

No it's not. It is a job...one the players took a big chance on getting and through hard work, luck, talent.

Who are you to tell them where to play? Especially after putting in what is it, 5 or six years of service?

Just because we think sports are awesome and glamerous, doesn't mean that at the end of the day it is a job, with an employer who would get rid of you the moment they could legally do so.

In the NFL, that happens all the time.

I actually agree with you that it is better for players to stay with their original teams. The players and owners need to agree in a CBA as to how they will organize their relationship. I say make it easier for players to decide to stay with their original teams within reason by making it more lucrative.

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
You seem to be hung up on the money aspect of it.

Let's say you are an engineer or a dentist and you have an employer.

After graduating from school you sign a contract for 3 years.

So what you are saying is, you would be fine with you being obligated to your current employer no matter what just becasue he matched the offer?

That is slavery...

1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work
3. the condition of being subject to some influence or habit

Sure I am exagerrating a tad, but the point is valid...you cannot exert control over another and have a player beholden to one team.

Maybe the player is being threatened in that city and simply wants a change. There are a thousand reasons why a player may want to move.

I get what you are saying, I just disagree. The owners wouldn't control a players life, liberty, and fortune. A player is free to make a career change just as an engineer or dentist is able to, if they haven't recieved a prorated signing bonus they can quit the sport anytime they like. Players would be free to sign any contract with whatever stipulations they agree to, If the player's current team wants to match that I just feel they should be able to. They wouldn't be forced into anything either, they can choose to not play basketball at all or go play overseas as some players have done, there is still options even in the basketball proffession. If that is slavery would that make the Heat the underground railroad? :)

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I get what you are saying, I just disagree. The owners wouldn't control a players life, liberty, and fortune. A player is free to make a career change just as an engineer or dentist is able to, if they haven't recieved a prorated signing bonus they can quit the sport anytime they like. :)

A player can make a career change? You are making my argument stronger with each post...keep going.

What is the length of a pro athlete career? We both know the average is low. They aren't changing careers and you know it. This is their one and only shot.

No easier than a dentist can change careers. Maybe he could become a dog dentist, with a 90% cut in pay.

You are just the product of popular US culture, where sports is king - so your position and blindness to the truth isn't your fault

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 10:27 PM
You are just the product of popular US culture, where sports is king - so your position and blindness to the truth isn't your fault

Says the Canadian comparing million dollar athletes to slaves. Even taking the top players out of the discussion, do you know what these guys make even making the league minimum? I'm sorry, I don't feel sorry for them if they get "stuck" making millions on the team that drafted them compared to making the millions elsewhere. Also, why is it out of the question if a league minimum player decides to change his career, these guys got a free college education if they wanted it and if they took advantage of that because they actually wanted to have options guess what, those options are there.

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 10:28 PM
stupid double post

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I really do think the notion that playing pro sports is a privledge is a US sentiment based on popular cuture, on average...so that is a more prevalent opinion as a by-product of media and general glorification of sport.

I think Canadians would think the same of hockey

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Says the Canadian comparing million dollar athletes to slaves. .

No...comparing the notion that you have the right to dictate where a player can play his limited career, if injury or erosion of skills hasn't already ended his brief career to slavery.

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 10:38 PM
No...comparing the notion that you have the right to dictate where a player can play his limited career, if injury or erosion of skills hasn't already ended his brief career to slavery.

Right, but if a player gets hurt or God forbid worse, they are taken care of and paid the remainder of their contract unless they do something stupid like Mike Vick, Plexi-glass Burress, or any other number of dumb asses that had contracts voided.

TFM_Dale
02-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Chrome double posts also, WTF?

Romeo Delight
02-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Right, but if a player gets hurt or God forbid worse, they are taken care of and paid the remainder of their contract unless they do something stupid like Mike Vick, Plexi-glass Burress, or any other number of dumb asses that had contracts voided.

Well, maybe. They could be in the last year or two, which leaves them with an end of their career potentially.

POJO_Risin
02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm way off?

So...Super Teams are good for the league?

Seriously...Slavery...what in the fuck are you talking about? Now I'm not for free agency because Super Teams aren't good for the league?

To top it off...the way these guys go about it...how many times do I have to listen to Anthony fucking bitching about how he can't watch TV or read the papers anymore...while in the meantime, he's meeting with potential suitors...DURING THE SEASON?

It's not just his fault...but the owners as well...for listening to him. Cleveland...same thing...LeBron was a douche...but they were morons for letting him dictate all those years. New Orleans...same fucking thing...with Chris Paul...

Slavery?

Maybe we can get Vancouver a super team...

POJO_Risin
02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Two points...

CONTRACTS SHOULD DICTATE WHAT THE PLAYERS DO, AND WHEN THEY RUN OUT, THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO FUCKING GO WHEREVER THEY WANT. The players shouldn't dictate what the owners do with their team, and if the owners allow it to happen...it's both faults. They aren't thinking about the viability of the game.

SUPERTEAMS ULTIMATELY ARE BAD FOR THE GAME. It's obvious why. Whether or not they win a title or not...if all the good players end up playing for BIG MARKET OR SUNNY TEAMS...the league will end up having what...ten teams? Sure...it's fun watching TEAMS beat SUPER TEAMS, but really...how viable are teams going to be if ultimately...people stop showing up because their best players are role players. Apparently the players and owner creating these Super Teams shouldn't be held accountable for the ultimate viability of the league?

...and apparently...

GO SLAVERY?????

chefcraig
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
The point that everyone should be paying close attention to is what happened in Cleveland last year. One player decided to leave the franchise, and it pretty much destroyed not only the team, but just about everything associated with it. To avoid something that sinister happening again, the invention of a franchise player clause must be introduced. In the future, this would prevent one ego-ed out, selfish player from holding a team (and by proxy, a city) hostage, and stop these "super teams" from developing.

The whole idea of teams built on three or four superstars is bad for the league, mainly because the talent pool is so limited. So while the teams in major markets may flourish, the teams outside (that are limited financially and have no way of attracting star players) will continue to languish. The idea of a sports dynasty is built upon the concept of a team competing and ultimately triumphing over the competition. Without some sense of parity in place, it becomes a hallow victory. As a result, people will stop paying attention. Look at NASCAR. Having one guy win all the marbles for the past five years has led to declining attendance and tv ratings. Don't believe for a minute that such a thing can't happen in a sport like basketball.

POJO_Risin
02-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Honesty...I would LOVE an NBA with only 12-15 teams...

and having a legit minor league system...

I saw someone talking about a franchise player tag....I'll bet that's part of the owners discussion prior to next year's lockout...er...season...

POJO_Risin
02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm pulling for the Nets...

Should they get Anthony...it appears as though the Cavs will receive a conditional first rounder and Troy Murphy for the Trade Exception. Murphy's contract would come off the books at the end of the season...

Kristy
02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Who gives a fuck? So sick of the 'Melo drama in this town. The guy is not a top league franchise player as much as he is a face. He rarely plays defense and wants to be recognized as the east coast Kobe. Part of him wanting to go to New York is so that his fugly gold digging wife Dum-Dum (or whatever her name is) can live the upper Manhattan lifestyle. Melo destroyed the Nuggets season I hope the little shit chokes in New York or wherever his egocentric ass ends up.

Romeo Delight
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Two points...

CONTRACTS SHOULD DICTATE WHAT THE PLAYERS DO, AND WHEN THEY RUN OUT, THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO FUCKING GO WHEREVER THEY WANT. The players shouldn't dictate what the owners do with their team, and if the owners allow it to happen...it's both faults. They aren't thinking about the viability of the game.

I agree. Where I seem to have a different perspective is that all is fair game under whatever CBA is in place.

So for example, if the players agree to a scenario where they allow a system where the drafting team can pay 20% more than someone else trying to sign them, they would likely gain in another area to their benefit.

They would lose potentially in their ability to move elsewhere (if they wanted a max deal). Both sides need to recognize the league is going to a bad place and they need to see that it is in their best interests to strengthen the NBA, not their own piece.

I see the biggest problem in the league as the big market owners see no need to help their weaker markets.

The players aren't to blame for the mess, although their character is wanting. I don't blame the NBA for the fact that these players are coddled from high school, through a year or two of college.

By the time they reach the NBA, how many of these players have any character? They don't. The system needs reform. Mandatory 2-3 years of college to play in the NBA?

I don't know. Just don't blame the players for working the CBA to their advantage - that is a crock

Romeo Delight
02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm way off?

So...Super Teams are good for the league?

Seriously...Slavery...what in the fuck are you talking about? .

Well, perhaps I could have used a different term :ashamed:

Still, I think it hypocritical to ask something of a pro athlete that would have you suing your employer if it ever happened to you.

I long for the days of old school loyalty to one's team as much as anyone. I think the player's new attempts to organize their own teams is as much a product of poor leadership of the league and its owners as it is their self-serving agenda.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
He's gone to the Knicks, supposedly official....

Kristy
02-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Definitely official. Good riddance.

ace diamond
02-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Should have clarified, everyone but the Nets feel they have a shot lol. The Nets owner just wants to flash some cash around by trading for and signing a big name.

don't forget about the clippers, dale.

Romeo Delight
02-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I am all for team loyalty and building a winner. But who on earth would want to wish that life sentence for Blake Griffen to the Clippers?

Well Blake, after your un-ending tens and tens of thousands of practice and dedication to your craft, you win...an eternity with perennial bottom feeders - The Clippers!!!!

What a tale of mismanagement for that franchise. The fact that they are in a huge market is the only reason they have survived.

In the NHL Bettman wouldn't let Blackberry founder and billionaire buy a team but sees fit to let a known shady character 'Boots' Del Biaggio buy into Nashville.

The owners should have to meet certain criteria and effective management to be part of the league before we critsize the players for wanting to be part of a winner working within the boundaries of the CBA

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Did I not slam Stern for being a market whore?

Owners are always douchebags...it's their nature...but you know what...they own the fucking team...more power to them.

When a player takes everyone for a ride...and when I say everyone...I'm talking owner, media...and especially the fans (you know...the ones that fill the owners pockets so that the owner can then fill the players pockets)...I could give a shit about loopholes in the CBA.

That's the fucking problem with this country to begin with. I'm so fucking sick of people saying shit like that. "Well, that's the way the rules fall...fuck whether or not it's right...it's moral...or it's fucking worthwhile..."

I'm not saying that the players shouldn't be able to choose where they want to go. I'm not saying that there couldn't be super teams. What I'm saying is...if you want a fucking league that is sustainable for 30 teams...this can't happen. Should the players want it? Well...according to you...they should because it makes them viable NBA contender. Good luck winning an NBA title when there's a lockout because of all this bullshit. Good luck winning an NBA title when the league starts becoming impossible to sustain because decent players roll to big market teams asap.

Fuck it though...it's the rules.

So let me clarify...

I can't stand professional athletes...their owners...and especially fucking ESPN...who in reality...is the entity that fucking pushes and propagates this shit.

Props to the Nuggets...for doing what the Cavs didn't...and acquiring a shitload for their superstar...

Of course...LeBron screwed the Cavs...so they couldn't even make a deal...and announced after free agency was essentially over...

fuck...and double-fuck...

but hey...it's okay with the CBA...so more power to him...

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Donald Sterling...

Oh hell...where to even start...

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
How bad are the Cavs? Sterling actually robbed the Cavs...for Ron Harper in that Danny Ferry trade...

ace diamond
02-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Donald Sterling...

Oh hell...where to even start...
oh let me count the ways........

Romeo Delight
02-22-2011, 01:05 AM
We want the same things, but disagree on how to get there.

I think the key is the CBA, which is why I keep going back to it. Take as long as it takes to get it done right. Put the incentives where they do the most good...with the strength of the league as a whole is addressed. The key is buy-in from the big market owners. Not sure how you do that.

You can structure a deal that does a better job of making it harder to circumvent the rules and create better parity. I don't want a team back in Vancouver under the current rules.

I think the NBA is set for a decade of futility without drastic change.

I don't think there is a person on the planet who thinks of Lebron as as they used to before this debacle. That is his legacy. No matter what he does from here on in, that is what he will be remembered for.

At the end of the day you have to look at yourself in the mirror. I don't think he likes what he sees

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Remember...the owners agreeing on the CBA is only half the battle...

Do you think the players union will agree to any such thing?

I hope these fuckers get locked out...for two fucking season...and when they come back...I hope they get less fans than the fucking ABA...

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I do believe the "Franchise Tag" could cure some of this hopping around...

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
The Nuggets appear to be ready to deal Danilo Gallinari...

The Cavs are in the mix...but what the fuck are they going to deal for this kid...their exception? What a fucking waste that would be...and why the fuck would Denver want Mo Williams or fucking Antawn Jamison?

chefcraig
02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
That's what I was saying, it would stifle this sort of nonsense in the very least. Oh well, our long national nightmare is over, and at last this "Melo-drama" can be put to rest as he and the Knicks are free to fade into obscurity. And fuck Isiah Thomas, once and for all. If I hear one more report on ESPN about him "masterminding" this deal, I'll shoot the tv set.

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
That's what I was saying, it would stifle this sort of nonsense in the very least. Oh well, our long national nightmare is over, and at last this "Melo-drama" can be put to rest as he and the Knicks are free to fade into obscurity. And fuck Isiah Thomas, once and for all. If I hear one more report on ESPN about him "masterminding" this deal, I'll shoot the tv set.

yeah craig...that was a good thought on your part...

What's Florida International's record this year? I'm guessing shitty...

chefcraig
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
What's Florida International's record this year? I'm guessing shitty...

Something like 9/18. Positively riveting play.

POJO_Risin
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah...Isiah has been the death of franchises...and whole fucking leagues (CBA anyone?)...

He should get credit for nothing but being a fucking douchebag...

chefcraig
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah...Isiah has been the death of franchises...and whole fucking leagues (CBA anyone?)...

I just don't get it. How is what he is supposedly doing (advising the Knicks while coaching a college team) even remotely legal? The man goes against league rules again and again, yet nothing ever comes of it. Maybe that's why Dolan loves the guy, as they seem to be made for each other.

ELVIS
02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Why is there a thread about Cameltoe in the sports forum ??

DlocRoth
02-22-2011, 07:15 PM

Well that and he used to french Magic and seemed to have gotten out disease free......

POJO_Risin
02-23-2011, 09:03 PM
The NBA has made Carmelo's 'dream come true.'

Don't you all just have disney-like warm and fuzzies...

Romeo Delight
02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I blame the entire system...

I am trying to figure our how Carmello could think any differently given his upbringing, background and how the system treated him from the moment he was identified as a talent.

The NBA should make a stand and say no player may be drafted unless successfully completing 3 years of college/university, including significant professional conduct training.

This is at the core of the issue. As much as I believe in a strong CBA to minimize any impact rogue players and owners may have on the game, it goes much further. This could be part of the new CBA.

How else can you explain the the NHL still has huge character guys in it? The very nature of their upbringing - parents waking up at 3:00 AM to drive their kids to a tournamnent.

There is no coddling of these kids for the most part. They work their asses off and come to the league in a culture that revolves around respect for the game and the cities they play in.

Last year Alexandre Burrows could have asked for the moon with the year he had. He could not forget his humble beginnings (he came from ball hockey...ball hockey!) and wanted to reward the Canucks by giving him the opportunity

POJO_Risin
02-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Now we're reaching the root of the issue...

POJO_Risin
02-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Not a big Whitlock fan...but this is more or less my point...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/selfish-players-are-wrecking-NBA-with-shortsighted-moves-022411

This whole NBA scenario — from LeBron’s Decision to Melo’s Madness to Deron’s Escape — reminds me of the American housing bubble.

You don’t need to read Michael Lewis’ latest book to see the NBA is headed for collapse.

That is not a statement about the product. The product is strong. We’re in the middle of one of the best NBA seasons in quite some time. Every night, there seems to be at least one must-see matchup, and the television networks — ABC, ESPN and TNT — trumpet the record number of viewers.

There are six legitimate championship teams — the Celtics, Spurs, Heat, Lakers, Bulls and Mavericks. There is a seemingly endless list of compelling superstars worth paying to see — James, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Dwyane Wade, Amar’e Stoudemire, Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, etc.

We’re at the height of the bubble. We’re at the brink of collapse.

For close to a decade, NBA players have walked the thin line between love and hate with their customers. The players crossed it when Ron Artest and several Indiana Pacers climbed into the stands to brawl with spectators. Commissioner David Stern instituted a string of new rules — dress code, tougher restrictions prohibiting fighting, 19-year-old age requirement for the draft — to push the players back on the other side of the line.

Those Band-Aid policies are starting to break. The players, many of whom have never grasped the need to understand and satisfy their customer base, are beginning to unwittingly push back.

Soaked in the arrogance of fame, wealth, immaturity and business ignorance, the players have dramatically reshaped the league with their free-agent and impending free-agent maneuvers.

In doing so — in destroying basketball in Cleveland, Utah and Denver — LeBron, Melo, Amar’e and Deron reinforced the perception among fans that teams don’t matter.

“As a player, you have to do what’s best for you,” Wade told reporters in reaction to the Carmelo trade to New York. “You can’t think about what someone’s going to feel or think on the outside. You have to do what’s best for you, and that’s what some players are doing. I’m happy for those players that felt that they wanted to be somewhere and they got their wish.”

That pretty much sums up the mentality of the modern-day American and modern-day pro athlete. Pleasing the individual takes precedence over everything else. It doesn’t matter that the collective strength of the NBA made Wade rich. Wade and other NBA players must be concerned only with themselves. That’s the American way.

The problem for basketball players is that they’re perceived differently than other pro athletes and Americans hold higher expectations for athletes than they do for themselves.

If NBA players were smart, they’d consider the health of the entire league.

They won’t. They can’t. They’re too young, too uneducated, too compromised by a society that intellectually cripples its physically gifted, beautiful and famous. You can’t see the big picture when you’re surrounded by male and female groupies.

It’s up to David Stern and the owners to protect the future of the league. They have to protect the players from themselves.

The problems facing the NBA are not unique. The problems are just more acute in the NBA as opposed to the NFL and major league baseball.

It’s easiest to see the break from traditional sports values in the NBA. The embrace of rebellious, hip-hop music culture, which is in direct opposition to the patriotism associated with sports, and the devastation of college basketball because of early entrants into the NBA put pro basketball players at odds with their fan base.

American sports fans love basketball. It is our most beautiful and graceful game. They don’t like or respect the participants. The fans don’t believe the players share their values. Fans care about the teams. The players don’t.

As the NBA heads for labor unrest in an attempt to negotiate a new collective-bargaining agreement, Stern and the owners should be super aggressive in addressing this fundamental problem.

A franchise tag for the league’s biggest stars won’t fix it.

Tying a significant percentage of player compensation to wins and losses is the solution, along with financial incentives for players to stay in college and pursue an actual education while there.

I’ve written in detail about these ideas in the past.

American basketball is in need of a major overhaul. Everything should be on the table. People should think outside the box. Money has changed pro sports. It’s long past time for the rules governing construction of teams and compensation of players to be fundamentally changed to reflect today’s reality.

The teams have to matter. Winning has to matter. It can’t simply be about players re-creating their AAU teams in their favorite NBA cities. That bubble is going to burst. The thin line between love and hate soon is going to be crossed irrevocably.

TFM_Dale
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
The NBA has made Carmelo's 'dream come true.'

Don't you all just have disney-like warm and fuzzies...

more like bad gas from a questionable burrito and a continued dislike for the modern day NBA.

Kristy
02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
I am trying to figure our how Carmello could think any differently given his upbringing, background and how the system treated him from the moment he was identified as a talent.

The NBA should make a stand and say no player may be drafted unless successfully completing 3 years of college/university, including significant professional conduct training.

This is at the core of the issue.

This is a great post. And although I really don't follow sports you've hit on some important points here. I would consider myself a Nuggets fan on the basis that basketball for the most part is fast paced entertainment and I did enjoy the moments seeing Carmello play.

The downside to much of what goes on in the NBA is a lack of player character and development. Many refer to the NBA as "thug ball" or "gangster ball" based on the hip-hop/gang culture that surrounds it. Personally, I prefer watching college basketball for the same reasons. Part of it could be changing in that the league is now taking in a influx of European and Asian players who have a little bit more respect for the game then the tattoos and Escaldes still it's the thug like characters who get the attention.

Now, I'm not calling every player in the NBA who sports tattoos and never went to college or attend college for a year a thug but the NBA as a whole needs to change their criteria. I can't think of any players who were for the most part to considered "positive role models" (I know cliche) for the sport except for maybe David Robinson. Even in after game interviews many NBA players seem to lack any other outside culture than shooting a ball at a hoop. I'm not saying they need a degree in art history as a prerequisite to play the game but when all they can speak is "yeah, you know...?, you know what I'm saying?..." ad nauseum it does seem a little bit unsettling. Then again, you can make this argument for a lot of sports athletes but no where does it predominate as much as it does in the NBA.

And you're right, the NBA is as much to blame for this as anyone taking in any player who can ball and bring people in the seats to simply line the pockets of the owners with more money. Should NBA players have degrees? I think so. And not only that but an understanding of handling finances, fame and that of their time in the league (as in any league) is limited to how well they perform for the owners.

As for Carmello, I've lost all respect for the dude. It's not that he didn't want to play in Denver but to go to a press conference giving no respect to the Nuggets franchise, coach Carl, or the Denver fans in general is inexcusable. Maybe he didn't want to say anything because he was hurt by Denver fans booing him? Huh. If the rumors about the New York sports press are true that they are the most brutal critics of an athlete who doesn't live up to the hype it'll be interesting to see how Mello is going to act in if he fails in the Big Apple.

Bob_R
02-26-2011, 01:13 PM
This moron had his arm raised and walked onto the court when he was introduced for the first time.

That's all I needed to see to know what type of player he is.