X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

New 'Beavis and Butt-Head' Will Tackle 'Jersey Shore' and More

The animated duo will watch the MTV hit and UFC wrestling in addition to music videos
    By Andy Greene
    February 16, 2011 12:00 PM ET
    About a year ago, MTV president Van Toffler was having trouble sleeping. "I was eating Fruit Loops and Cap'n Crunch out of the box and flipping through the dials when a Lady Gaga video came on," he says. That's when he had the idea: Bring back Beavis and Butt-Head. "I felt like there was a whole crop of new artists — and what the world sorely missed was the point of view that only Beavis and Butt-Head could bring."

Beavis and Butt-Head, the Voice of a Generation: Rolling Stone's 1993 Cover Story

The new show, which debuts later this year, will be very familiar to fans of the Nineties original. "They'll be self-contained segments with the boys in different situations like they used to be," Toffler says. "But this time around, they'll watch Jersey Shore, UFC matches and user-generated videos from YouTube, in addition to music videos." All of the programming will be displayed on the duo's TV, even if it comes from YouTube — "like silly videos of cats playing music."

This article appears in the March 3, 2011 issue of Rolling Stone. The issue is available now on newsstands and will appear in the online archive February 18.

The show's creator, Mike Judge, who went on to create King of the Hill and direct the cult classics Office Space and Idiocracy, is returning to helm the new series. "In the years since Mike quit doing Beavis and Butt-Head, he realized that there was a lot to make fun of," says head writer John Altschuler, a veteran of King of the Hill. "We just kept coming up with ideas that Mike thought would have made good Beavis and Butt-Head episodes. Then one day, Mike said, 'Maybe we should just actually make some good Beavis and Butt-Head episodes.'"

Photos: TV on the Cover of 'Rolling Stone'

Beavis and Butt-Head would be in their thirties by now, but they will remain the teenagers they were during the original run. "They'll have the same intelligence," Toffler says. "They're the same boneheads sitting on the same couch, commenting on things through a really simple prism." He has no fear that younger viewers won't respond to the show. "Look how popular South Park and Family Guy are," he says. "These boys are beloved characters, and even if you didn't know them the first time around, it doesn't take more than 30 seconds to fall in love with them."

Photos: The Key 'Rolling Stone' Covers of the Nineties

MTV plans to promote the program across multiple media platforms. "It will be much more viral this time around," Toffler says. "We're going to plant seeds of the characters throughout social-media networks like Facebook and Twitter, in addition to traditional programming on television and, potentially, in theaters. It's formatted very well for the Internet because it's short-form."
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

I really hope that MTV does a better job with this than it did with the return of Celebrity Deathmatch. Apparently, over a dozen episodes were created between 2005-2007, and I never saw a single one. In fact, I only heard about the remake about a week ago.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
        I really hope that MTV does a better job with this than it did with the return of Celebrity Deathmatch. Apparently, over a dozen episodes were created between 2005-2007, and I never saw a single one. In fact, I only heard about the remake about a week ago.
        It should be great. Same guy that did it originally is involved on the new one. I can't wait!

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
          It should be great. Same guy that did it originally is involved on the new one. I can't wait!
          I hope that they put some effort into the commentary of the videos. I've said this before, and I still believe it: Some of the most astute musical criticism I've ever witnessed since Lester Bangs worked for CREEM magazine came out of the mouths of these knuckleheads during the nineties.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

uhh hu u uhu hu hu hu h uh uh uh huhuh

Comment

• hambon4lif
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Is that Dave Buttstain?

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I like the DLR part...

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

If there is a person who can dumb-down America any further it's Mike Judge. Is MVD all out of ideas and now needs to patronize itself for ratings? There is only so many times you can beat a dead horse.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

I think Mike Judge is great.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        I like the DLR part...

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                          MTV plans to promote the program across multiple media platforms. "It will be much more viral this time around," Toffler says. "We're going to plant seeds of the characters throughout social-media networks like Facebook and Twitter, in addition to traditional programming on television and, potentially, in theaters. It's formatted very well for the Internet because it's short-form."
                          playing it fifty times a day for weeks straight wasn't enough?
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Kristy
                            If there is a person who can dumb-down America any further it's Mike Judge. Is MVD all out of ideas and now needs to patronize itself for ratings? There is only so many times you can beat a dead horse.
                            Shut Up! Dumbass!

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Judge has a limited vision. None of his moves were funny and/or entertaining; King of The Hill was beyond the realm of stale and now he's re-hashing? Great. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...