• Show
Clear All
  • Lqskdiver
    Sniper
    • Jun 2004

R&B Legend Ray Charles Dies in California at 73

Grammy-Winning Crooner Ray Charles Dies

5 minutes ago

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Ray Charles (news), the Grammy-winning crooner who blended gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and heartfelt ballads like "Georgia on My Mind," died Thursday, a spokesman said. He was 73.

Charles died at his Beverly Hills home surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.

Charles last public appearance was alongside Clint Eastwood (news) on April 30, when the city of Los Angeles designated the singer's studios, built 40 years ago in central Los Angeles, as a historic landmark.

Blind by age 7 and an orphan at 15, Charles spent his life shattering any notion of musical boundaries and defying easy definition. A gifted pianist and saxophonist, he dabbled in country, jazz, big band and blues, and put his stamp on it all with a deep, warm voice roughened by heartbreak from a hardscrabble childhood in the segregated South.

"His sound was stunning — it was the blues, it was R&B, it was gospel, it was swing — it was all the stuff I was listening to before that but rolled into one amazing, soulful thing," singer Van Morrison (news) told Rolling Stone magazine in April.

Charles won nine of his 12 Grammy Awards between 1960 and 1966, including the best R&B recording three consecutive years ("Hit the Road Jack," "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Busted").

His versions of other songs are also well known, including "Makin' Whoopee" and a stirring "America the Beautiful." Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell wrote "Georgia on My Mind" in 1931 but it didn't become Georgia's official state song until 1979, long after Charles turned it into an American standard.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

God has one fuckin' great line-up...

R.I.P. Ray...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

A true legend of R'n'R. Rest in peace, Mr. Charles.

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

Even my son loved Ray. He did a really cool music dynamics lesson for kids! Taught them everything about song writing. VERY VERY COOL! Even I loved it!

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Didn't think he was looking that healthy on that TV show last week.

So long Ray... You'll be missed, but at least you can finally look at your new home with your own eyes
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Sarge
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

does anyone remember that song he did with Hank Jr.
            My grandfather used to play that.

I thought Ray Charles was older than 72?
            Great musician..
            ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
            The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
            [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Didn't think he was looking that healthy on that TV show last week.

So long Ray... You'll be missed, but at least you can finally look at your new home with your own eyes
              GEEZUZ FORD ! That was actually quite touching.. Please dont do that again..

J/K !

Rest in Peace Mr Charles !

A man who never let adversity get in his way..
              An inspirational dude !
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

great musician...great man...R.I.P.
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...