X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Federal gun raid leaves border town without mayor, police chief

(CNN) -- The mayor, police chief and a village trustee in the New Mexico border town of Columbus have been charged along with eight other defendants with buying firearms for illegal export to Mexico, federal authorities said Thursday.

An 84-count indictment accuses the 11 of being what authorities describe as a gun-trafficking ring. The ring bought guns "favored by the Mexican cartels," such as American tactical 9 mm pistols and the so-called "AK-47 pistols," which are weapons resembling AK-47 rifles but with shorter barrels and without rear stocks, U.S. Attorney Kenneth J. Gonzales of New Mexico told CNN.

In a phone interview, Gonzales said authorities seized 200 such firearms, allegedly purchased illegally using "straw" buyers, and intended for sale in Mexico. He added that 1,500 rounds of ammunition were also seized.

Authorities say much of the Mexican drug cartel violence is carried out with weapons originating from the United States.The indictment alleges that 12 firearms previously purchased by the defendants were found in Mexico and were traced back to them, authorities said.

"Presumably these folks are engaging in this activity because there is money to be made," Gonzales said. "We're very disappointed that we have among these 11 people three people in government positions -- a police chief sworn to protect the public and a mayor sworn to lead and provide for the public safety and a village trustee that has that duty as well."

Authorities also conducted searches at eight residences, a business and even the Columbus Police Department, authorities said.

"That was part of the tragedy here -- we're actually having to search a police department," Gonzales said. He didn't know what was seized from there Thursday.

Because the small town of Columbus has only a four-member police force, including the chief, Luna County Sheriff Raymond Cobos told CNN Thursday that his deputies were now providing police patrols.

But the sheriff has told Columbus officials that their police department could no longer use the same radio frequency as the county, to ensure the integrity of local law enforcement.

Sheriff Cobos said the remaining three members of the village board were now running the town, and he was in negotiations with them to take over police protection.

Between January 2010 and March 2011, the defendants allegedly bought about 200 firearms from Chaparral Guns in Chaparral, New Mexico, which is owned and operated by Ian Garland, 50, who was also arrested and is facing several charges, authorities said.

The defendants allegedly claimed they were the actual purchasers of the firearms, when in fact they were acting as "straw purchasers" who were buying the firearms on behalf of others, authorities said.

The indictment came after a year-long federal investigation and was part of the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force, a program targeting the most serious drug trafficking, weapons trafficking and money laundering organizations, and those responsible for the nation's illegal drug supply, authorities said.

During the investigation, law officers also seized 40 AK-47-type pistols, 1,580 rounds of 7.62 ammunition, and 30 high-capacity magazines from the defendants before they crossed the U.S.-Mexico border, authorities said.

By Michael Martinez, CNN
    March 11, 2011 12:20 a.m. EST

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    -Feds crack down on an alleged gun-trafficking ring seeking to sell firearms in Mexico

-The ring illegally bought guns that are favored by the Mexican drug cartels

-The mayor, police chief and a village trustee of Columbus, New Mexico, are charged

The mayor, police chief and a village trustee in the New Mexico border town of Columbus have been charged along with eight other defendants with buying firearms for illegal export to Mexico, federal authorities said Thursday.

Please do not abuse gun rights. It is wrong to abuse your gun rights.
    Last edited by Blaze; 03-12-2011, 01:29 AM.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Mexico has always had strict gun laws but in the 80's I knew a guy that was running drugs up from San Diego into Idaho. In fact that was the first time I ever had fajitas because he came up with some marinated steak that he picked up in Mexico. He was into guns and we got to talking and he said he could get some full auto stuff out of Mexico. Old Vietnam era M16's. I know for a fact it's easier to get full automatic weapons from the drug/weapons runners in Mexico than it is to get them in the states. No major gun distributor or manufacture is going to sell them to you. The mexicans can get them easy from old war zones and third world manufactures. The only way you can get full autos in the states is to have high connections in the government or illegally make them yourself. Legitimate manufactures wouldn't jeopardize ruining their lives and businesses on the illegal market and focus on law enforcement and government contracts. The drug guys in Mexico can get weapons easier through their own supply chain down there. Mexico has ports and airports that are less secure than ours. Nobody makes a Krinkov in the US. They are made in Russia and a few other countries. Cuba and Venezuela could supply the Mexicans with all the Krinks they wanted easier than some jerks on the US border.

There is a movement in the Obama Administration to put the US under a UN small arms mandate and one thing they are doing is claiming the US is supplying the bad guys in Mexico. Unless the government itself is doing it, it isn't happening. Cuba, Venezuela and even Russia or China would be more happy to supply the drug cartels because they create problems for the US and they can supply a lot more than some crooked city officials in Chicken Shit, New Mexico.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-12-2011, 03:36 AM.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

When you can have this laying around, you aren't supplying your gangstas by buying a few rounds and a few guns from a crooked Barny Fife. These guys would suspect it as a sting operation. In fact I think the Feds set up those city officials and probably had under cover mexicans make the purchases. The real cartel are going to buy cases of ammo and cases of guns. Maybe some random gang bangers bought the stuff.
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-12-2011, 03:46 AM.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The biggest drug dealer on this planet lives in Kennebunkport Maine, but he calls himself a "Texan". The main reason he wanted his sons as governors of southern "border" states is so it would be easier for drug smuggling.

His nickname is no coincidence.......

....and he's definitely behind this "Mexican cartel" bullshit.

Legalize drugs now, and put an end to all of this insanity. Including the CIA's illegal source of revenue.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Two years ago, when Angelo Vega took over the Columbus police force, he vowed to push back forcefully against the dusty New Mexico border town's rough recent past: rampant drug and human smuggling, an economy awash in narcotics cash from Mexico, and a revolving-door department that had been led by six police chiefs in three years.

"This is a new day for Columbus," Vega told The Associated Press, vowing at the time that all crooks would now have to face justice and fear jail time.
          On Tuesday, Vega himself is due in court, answering to federal charges that he took part in a scheme to illegally buy guns in the U.S. and send them to Mexico. Mayor Eddie Espinoza, town Trustee Blas Gutierrez and eight others were accused of firearms and smuggling charges in the 84-count indictment.

The defendants, who allegedly bought roughly 200 firearms over a 14-month period from Chaparral Guns in Chaparral, are accused of falsely claiming they were buying the weapons for themselves when they were really acting as straw purchasers and buying them on behalf of others.
          Martha Skinner, a former Columbus mayor, said Friday she was astonished to learn of the charges, saying a such a gun scheme could have put the whole village at risk.

"These people swore to uphold the law and to take care of us," said Skinner, who served as mayor from 2002 to 2006, when Espinoza defeated her. "How do they know the crazy folks in Mexico aren't going to come shoot up the place because they didn't take them enough guns?"

By SUE MAJOR HOLMES, Associated Press Writer – Fri Mar 11, 6:59 pm ET

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

Working...