X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Red Dawn remake changes villians from Chinese to N. Korean

The decision was apparently made by MGM alone, "no one at the studio has had discussions with Chinese government officials about Red Dawn." Over the last few years, the box office in China has become a key place to make strong earnings, which is why you see films like The Karate Kid working with them. In business terms, this is just them watching out for their product. "We were initially very reluctant to make any changes," says Tripp Vinson, one of the producers. "But after careful consideration we constructed a way to make a scarier, smarter and more dangerous Red Dawn that we believe improves the movie." I certainly hope so.
    MGM stirring up more trouble? The LA Times reports very candidly on MGM's recent decision to revise the villain in their already-completed remake of the 1980's classic Red Dawn, directed by Dan Bradley. They report that the original villain of the Chinese invading America, already updated from Russia/U.S.S.R. in the 1984 film with Patrick Swayze,

I'm a sucker for movies like this..and scenarios that would possibly play out.

Korea has slightly more of a vindictive attitude towards America, over say China, who just views as an economic partner.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • SunisinuS
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • May 2010

Originally posted by Unchainme
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/mgm...vised-villain/

I'm a sucker for movies like this..and scenarios that would possibly play out.

Korea has slightly more of a vindictive attitude towards America, over say China, who just views as an economic partner.

More likely China would be it....and we would say who is on our side? ....150 million screaming Cossacks!
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

North Korea is going to invade the US??

I knew this remake was going to suck from day one. Now it just upped the suckage level by a factor of 1000. At least.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Another remake - I just don't get it.

Given that TV drama has been flourishing in recent years, there are evidently plenty of great writers out there. For what reason though Hollywood seems more interested in re-hashes....
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by FORD
          North Korea is going to invade the US??

I knew this remake was going to suck from day one. Now it just upped the suckage level by a factor of 1000. At least.
          It's set in Seattle from what I've heard.

Sort of an odd choice for a neo-con cult classic.
          Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

They probably set it "in Seattle" so they could actually film it in Vancouver BC, and things wouldn't look too out of place.

Unfortunately the neocon shitbags ARE trying to take over this state, (see the "Discovery Institute") though I'm not sure whether or not that had anything to do with the movie's supposed location.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

Originally posted by binnie
              Another remake - I just don't get it.

Given that TV drama has been flourishing in recent years, there are evidently plenty of great writers out there. For what reason though Hollywood seems more interested in re-hashes....

I count it up to the "Star Search" factor and its evil progeny "American Idol"...least Chuck Berry would have gonged the whole thing if he could get a do over.

Writers of this next generation have been taught that originality is elusive.....so they just give up trying before they start..... Sigh.
              Last edited by SunisinuS; 03-19-2011, 04:19 PM. Reason: Lol I sound like an old fart huh? hehe.... I am.
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Let me guess: N. Korea invades the U.S. (somehow - let's look past the plot holes) and their crack parachute team lands in downtown Chicago and surrenders at the first sign of a fast food restaurant. Most likely they'd be shell-shocked over seeing electricity for the first time in their lives. You know, without the Regan paranoia look for this film to go straight to DVD at a bankrupt Blockbuster near you.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Plus America is so corporate anymore look for the final scene being rewritten from "Wolverines!" to "Costco!"

Comment

• SunisinuS
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by kristy
                    plus america is so corporate anymore look for the final scene being rewritten from "wolverines!" to "costco!"

lmfao

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Let me guess: N. Korea invades the U.S. (somehow - let's look past the plot holes) and their crack parachute team lands in downtown Chicago and surrenders at the first sign of a fast food restaurant. Most likely they'd be shell-shocked over seeing electricity for the first time in their lives. You know, without the Regan paranoia look for this film to go straight to DVD at a bankrupt Blockbuster near you.
                      Well, if it's set in Seattle, they would probably be surrendering at Dicks' drive in. Only question is whether it would be the Queen Anne location (near Seattle Center) or on Broadway in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Good to hear Dick's is still there. It aways cracked me up that a place called Dick's was in the gay part of town.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                          Plus America is so corporate anymore look for the final scene being rewritten from "Wolverines!" to "Costco!"
                          It's been corporate for most of it's history but in the old days, corporate charters were temporary and were only renewed if the corporation served the best interest of the citizens. Politicians even though they always were corrupt would break up monopolies because their voting base would not tolerate out of control corruption. Today the voter just goes to sleep expecting someone else to fix the problem. They pretty much vote D's and R's without doing any real research on the candidates and the one who have the big corporate campaign money always seem to win.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

We have fascism but instead of a motivated and in control Adolf Hitler we have these bought off puppets who aren't leaders at all. Who runs things are the people on the puppet's staff which amazingly have a revolving door between corporations, banks, and government. It's not the Obama Administration. It's the General Electric and Goldman Sachs administration with some Chicago mobsters thrown in for good measure. Why is Obama always late at addressing a crises? He doesn't have his script written for him yet. When the subject matter is over his head like economics and tax policy, they have to bring in Bill Clinton to do the press conference for him. There hasn't been any real leadership in the White House for many years. We have puppet presidents.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Good to hear Dick's is still there. It aways cracked me up that a place called Dick's was in the gay part of town.
                              As immortalized in the classic Sir Mix-a-Lot video "Posse on Broadway".......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...