X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marcus
    Roadie
    • Oct 2004

Problem with recording at 5150

Here's my take on one of the biggest problems with Van Halen - the logistics with recording at 5150 studios.

VHI through DD were not recorded at 5150 i.e. Ed's house. They were recorded pretty quick (matter of weeks or even days). Everyone was in and out, and there would be a common sense of urgency.

Unless Mikey, Sammy, Dave, or Gary live very close to Ed's house, how would it be possiblbe for them to record and hang out at his house ALL THE TIME? It seems like an unfair home field advantage. I think for VHIII Gary lived in Ed's guest house. How long can someone do that for?

In my opinion that's one reason why Mikey is gone. Imagine you (i.e. Ed) go into your garage or basement whenever you want almost daily, and complain that your workmates who do not live in your home (like your son) or around the block from you (like your brother) are never there. Like, what was Mikey to do? Buy a home across the street and uproot his family?

It's my opinion that unless EVH, AVH, Wolf, and Dave can crank out a CD quickly at a neutral studio away from 5150, there will not be a new Van Halen CD anytime soon. That would force everyone to work hard and efficiently and get it done so everyone could get home asap.

Imagine if Dave had or has a home studio. Why not record it there? Could you imagine?!
  • Steve Savicki
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I imagine Dave could record his vocals at home...

Then just upload them to Ed...

Just like the changes in music technology...

Uploading and downloading...

Soon the sales awards will be represented by downloads not record sales...

If we don't hear a new album... oh well.

No news is good news...
    sigpic

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

STFU steve,

You Hagar loving, Fair Warning bashing retard.
      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Well, there's just no incentive for anything to get done quickly at 5150, because nobody's paying for studio time there.

However, the chances that any hypothetical album would be recorded anywhere else other than there are slim.

The reality is it is Ed's band now. Dave has the option of playing ball with that concept in mind or leaving, and Ed probably won't give a shit either way. Being that it is Ed's band, it's probably at the very least going to be demoed at 5150. Hence the sluggish pace. Fuck, the band have been off the road for nearly three years now. Any anticipation I had of shit-hot (or even tepid) new music has dwindled as that last tour date got further away in the rearview mirror.

So what if John Shanks is producing? There's no post-tour momentum anymore. The band got their fat 2007-2008 checks and fucked off into oblivion. Big shock. Seems to be the gameplan of "Van Halen" now: tour once every four to five years to keep the liquidity solvent, then bugger off back into the hidey-hole.

Great. Fine. Whatever. Can we at least get the vaults released? If it's gonna be an oldies trip, I'd just as soon see footage of the real McCoy, when Ed could actually play the 6-pack stuff and do it justice, rather than watch an aging stumblebum drunk fumbling around trying to replicate the old licks and coming up short. Dave can hit the road with Sideshow Bob and the Chinaman on geetars again in smaller venues. Wolfie can go back to not being slim. That's a better prospect for me as a fan than what's happening these days.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

hey dave, if your reading this pm me. i know this aussie shredder who would love the chance to make a kickass record with you. he's got a few smokin tunes ready to go

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

You have three Van Halens in the band and Dave is the odd man out. They won't let any competent leadership in and nothing is going to happen. Without a good manager, Van Halen is nothing.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Without a good manager, Van Halen is nothing.

Without Diamond Dave, Van Halen is nothing.

And anyways, Daves house in Pasadena isn't really all that far from Eddies. Both somewhat close to the freeway and the freeway drive itself is only about 15-20 minutes. In So CA it's a great sunny drive as long as you time it correctly to miss the nasty rush hour traffic.

Daves commute to 5150 is a lot less than most people commute to work every day. Or at least a typical commute.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Location logistics are the least of their problems... just the simple will to work and contribute something to this world is what's lacking.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Heater
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Nov 2010

I have a feeling the album will be out around Memorial Day, the unofficial beginning of summer, and then a tour to support it, probably hockey arenas and amphitheaters, outside venues are sometime great for concerts. I'm guessing it has been decided that the announcement will be made when it's in the can, and when it is announced and advertised, we will see glimmers of how things were run in the past and see some fire in their collective belly. This album is a big one, they need some kick ass hits off that thing, at least 3. Good hooks (the Bon Jovi connection has me a bit concerned), good riffs, and that indescribable feeling you get when assaulted by a VH power rocker! If on the other hand it stiffs, or sucks, this could be signaling the end of VH. If that happens, then they should open the vaults and get box set cookin'. Outtakes, practices, flubs, all of it.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
                    And anyways, Daves house in Pasadena isn't really all that far from Eddies. Both somewhat close to the freeway and the freeway drive itself is only about 15-20 minutes. In So CA it's a great sunny drive as long as you time it correctly to miss the nasty rush hour traffic.

Daves commute to 5150 is a lot less than most people commute to work every day. Or at least a typical commute.
                    Yeah, I mapped it last night since I've never actually drove around LA long enough to even attempt to see where they live. The last time I was in LA, I came up from San Diego for an afternoon. Basically it was find the Sunset Strip, see the Whisky A Go-Go, get a big smile on my face, and then drive back to San Diego.

But yeah, it doesn't appear Dave lives too far away. And for the record, pretty sure when Bette was still around, he lived very close to Howdy Doody Mountain.....
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

As I understood it the album was at least partly being recorded at Henson studio away from 5150?

Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Yes, recording at 5150 is an issue - but not because of a commute as was pointed out. The only difference with recording at 'X' studio vs 5150 is 4 guys have to get there as opposed to 3... although that 1 guy who lives at 5150 has been fucking things up for years.
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

We should feel lucky that Dedwad even took a bath in the last fifteen years...

But if this album sucks Uncle Otoma should hit 5150 with scud™ missles...

Comment

• Etienne
                            Commando
                            • Aug 2010

I still hope there is really an intension to make an album...

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

The issue isn't where it's being recorded, it's having a producer to say what have you got guys, and after they play stuff for him he says OK, work on THIS today.
                              Otherwise they go in circles. (by their own admission)

Comment

Working...