PDA

View Full Version : THWACK! The Golf Thread

Pages : [1] 2

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
just in time for the masters...

where do you play? what do you use? are you any good? ever had an hole in one? best score?
why all the questions?

because i've had a life long obsession with the game (second only to music, really) that's why.

i'll start. we've got a beautiful local public course, 6700 yards off the blue tees par 71. my best is 75 but average 15 to 20 over. clubs are hogan h40's driving iron then 3 to sw with a gap wedge. driver is a callaway hyper x 9 degree, putter mizuno 9425 id. same one faldo killed the shark with in '96. srixon z-star balls. never had an ace, but hit it to 6 inches a few times. had about 4 or 5 eagles, the most memorable being a slam dunked sand wedge from about 60 yards.

share your golf love!!!!!

sadaist
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I absolutely love the driving range. I can hit those fuckers past the 350 yard sign. Feels so great when you really nail one & watch the fucker sail away into the nether.

But I have never actually golfed a real game. Miniature golf and the real driving range is all. I'm to chicken shit that I would go so slow I'd have to keep telling people to play through us so as not to hold everyone up. I'd love to start though. Plus golf courses are beautiful & peaceful. Would be a great way to keep myself outdoors instead of in front of the PC. Someday. Just need to find at least 1 friend that sucks really bad or is extremely patient to start going with.

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 09:05 AM
cool mate, gotta give it a go. round here, late on a sunday arvo in summer you can pretty much get the course to yourself. i know where you live is, er, slightly more populated though:) before you head out, practice a heap of 7 irons on the range... you might surprise youself. and yeah... smashing one down the middle is one of the sweetest feelings there is!

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 09:43 AM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/12th.jpg

how nice is my local?

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Jesus, don't get me started. I happen to live in what was formerly known as the kingdom of golf, thanks in great part to the weather and abundance of open land. What has happened in the past 25 years here (and more so in the last 6-7 years) here has been enough to make one wish to renounce the game, once and for all.

To begin with, the economy tanked, leading most mom and pop courses (and their driving ranges) to close up and the land sold off to become equally empty strip malls. Affordable municipal courses have been bought out by private concerns, who in turn upgraded the courses and turned them into non-affordable "membership only" types, where simply hitting a bucket of balls (that have remarkably diminished in size) with your family can cost you roughly the same amount of money you spent on your first car.

Due to the same economic woes, what few courses remain open have been forced to cut back on greens-keeping to such a degree that it is advisable to carry your own rake, as well as a pair of garden shears in your bag. As playing fees have been increased, this also means that tee times early in the morning (to avoid the inhospitable heat) have become so outlandish that you are reduced to either playing after work in still balmy conditions, or forgetting about playing completely unless you have planned ahead and taken out a second mortgage to allow playing on the weekend.

So instead of actual play, my friends and I have resorted to playing Golden Tee at the pub, and watching events on television. All I can say is thank God for the Golf Channel. Sadly, I am not alone in watching, and with it's ever-growing popularity is rapidly repeating what undid stations like Discovery and the Food channel: Replacing once great shows and classic reruns (like Shell's Wonderful World Of Golf) with moronic, reality based programming. For Christ's sake, does anyone care about Rush Limbaugh's development as a player or the trials of a bitter, allegedly homeless golfer?

Ultimately, golf is a bizarre sort of sickness that invades your blood. It is expensive, a waste of time, energy and land. And yes, I am hopelessly addicted. By the way, ya know why the sport is called golf, right? Yup, FUCK was already taken.

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 09:52 AM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/screen4.jpg
just like paradise...

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 09:59 AM
yes craig... fortunately i live in our golf belt. this course will never be built out. as a member, i own about 1/5000th of it. membership is about aud650 per year. in oz, golf has forever been accessible to us commoners. praise and hallelujah, i highly recommend a golfing trip here at least once in your life.

sadaist
03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/12th.jpg

how nice is my local?

That's what I'm saying. By NOT golfing, I am missing out on some of the very best landscapes & scenery offered.

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
yep, good for the soul, mate. here's a friendly kookaburra

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/kooka.jpg

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 10:14 AM
praise and hallelujah, i highly recommend a golfing trip here at least once in your life.

Believe me, it's on the bucket list. Just seeing things like the Great Barrier Reef and the open vistas of the land on Discovery make me want to visit more and more with each viewing. And the citizens seem to be a terrific bunch to knock back several pints with. Which reminds me, ANZAC Day will soon be upon us.

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Believe me, it's on the bucket list. Just seeing things like the Great Barrier Reef and the open vistas of the land on Discovery make me want to visit more and more with each viewing. And the citizens seem to be a terrific bunch to knock back several pints with. Which reminds me, ANZAC Day will soon be upon us.

yeah, anzac day falls on easter monday this year. i'd say the whole country will be having tuesday off...:biggrin: possibly wednesday and thursday too

Seshmeister
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I am to golf what Ace Diamond is to the electric guitar.

I was better when I was 15 than I am now and I was shit then.

We've been talking in the pub about having another go at the stupid game, I'm not so sure.

The one thing that has surprised me is how incredibly cheap a set of clubs are now compared to back in the day.

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
bit of a travesty there sesh, coming from the home of golf and all..:) we're blessed with mild winters too, makes it do-able all year round. i'm actually having a hit tomorrow, yeeha

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
The one thing that has surprised me is how incredibly cheap a set of clubs are now compared to back in the day.

like anything, you'll still pay top dollar for the good stuff, but the chinese knock-offs are pretty good for the moolah.

sadaist
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I am to golf what Ace Diamond is to the electric guitar.

Thread idea?

I am to ________ what Ace Diamond is to the electric guitar.

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Thread idea?

I dunno...I highly doubt most people are that incompetent with anything short of those odd puzzles you had to stare at until you saw some hidden image or got a headache, whichever came first.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/syaiguy/stereo.jpg

Seshmeister
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
like anything, you'll still pay top dollar for the good stuff, but the chinese knock-offs are pretty good for the moolah.

I've decided to buy a new set if we do start playing properly.

I currently have a set of Sam Snead signature clubs which I think I bought for about $200 in the early 80s.

The man was born in 1912... :)

Seshmeister
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
I dunno...I highly doubt most people are that incompetent with anything short of those odd puzzles you had to stare at until you saw some hidden image or got a headache, whichever came first.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

It would be things you have spent quite a lot of time trying but remain surprisingly useless at.

sadaist
03-24-2011, 11:32 AM

I always say thread ideas in hopes someone else will start it.....you know, the type of threads you would enjoy posting in & reading everyone elses comments...but also a thread that is so lame you don't wanna take the heat for actually starting it yourself.

:)

Fairwrning
03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Now that I have hit 44 years of age..I love golf..greatest game in the world.I got my first set of clubs in 86 but rarely played.I play every weekend now..weather permitting.I shoot anywhere from 90 - 115.
Inconsistent as hell..We have 5-6 decent local courses and 2 public courses at Smith Mtn. Lake..
Lots of elevation changes, which kicks ass, and plenty of trees to roam in..My best rd ever was 90..literally 3 ft from 89.
Taylor Made clubs now..older models..R7 irons, 09 Burner driver and "Rescue" hybrid, Odyssey white hot XG flat blade putter. I dunno, just something special about the feel of a well hit golf ball.

VanHalener
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/vanhalener/IMG_4725.jpg

Playing Golf Rocks!

VanHalener
03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
...We have 5-6 decent local courses and 2 public courses at Smith Mtn. Lake..
Lots of elevation changes...

I'm going to have to haul myself down your way this spring to play some golf with you. I am no Arnold Palmer, but I can hold my own on a course. Loads of fun to shoot a round then go catch a few largemouth bass.
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/vanhalener/IMG_5091.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
03-24-2011, 01:21 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/syaiguy/stereo.jpg

is there somethin' in there?

it's backwards? i see the heart.....

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
It's a bit more complicated than that.

It would be things you have spent quite a lot of time trying but remain surprisingly useless at.

Oh, I get it...stuff like fly fishing or marriage. :duh:

clarathecarrot
03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
is there somethin' in there?

it's backwards? i see the heart.....

Big Boobs with a Woman or a Woman with Big Boobs.:hee:

I<(thome user group) when, I was of this mortal plane and savant, and not double clutching thru the statosphere, as that with that was.

Has been paid for hard labor on more than one occasion with a set of used golf clubs. (in some circles used is like daddy trades his vett in every year, cause it need s a waxing)

But, being worn out so that wich brung us together, I could never find the use for exersize on the links.

So.... as for however'more, much the game looks like fun for a simple'ton.

I will meet you all on the 9th hole halfwayhouse bar with a pitcher of whattever you fancy.

VOTE -clara- in 2012

PETE'S BROTHER
03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
are you running as a democarrot?

Fairwrning
03-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm going to have to haul myself down your way this spring to play some golf with you. I am no Arnold Palmer, but I can hold my own on a course. Loads of fun to shoot a round then go catch a few largemouth bass.
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/vanhalener/IMG_5091.jpg

Been trying to get a couple others here to play as well....maybe this year something can finally be worked out.

Nitro Express
03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/screen4.jpg
just like paradise...

Very nice. I play this course at least once a week in the summer.

Nitro Express
03-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Playing Golf Rocks!

More than one hole on the green. That's confusing.:biggrin:

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Thread idea?

great idea! it will have legs... you have to start it:)

ashstralia
03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
that looks awesome, nitro. if i ever get stateside, i wanna play there.

sadaist
03-24-2011, 07:23 PM

Playing Golf Rocks!

Is that Greg Norman?

:hee:

VanHalener
03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
...maybe this year something can finally be worked out.

Let me know if something happens. I would love to take the 4 1/2 hour drive to come down and fish, golf, and enjoy sweet southern Virginia.

Blaze
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20110324/capt.photo_1300982082518-1-0.jpg

– Thu Mar 24, 12:07 pm ET

LONDON (AFP) – The woman in a hitched-up tennis dress whose cheeky pose adorned countless boys' bedrooms has revealed she had little interest in the sport and was wearing her father's plimsolls for the shot.

Fiona Walker was 18 when she became the sun-dappled subject of the "Tennis Girl" poster on a court in Birmingham, central England, in 1976.

Athena bought the rights to the poster, more than two million were sold and it became one of the iconic images of the 1970s.

Now she has posed with the original image -- albeit more soberly dressed this time -- to promote an exhibition of tennis as an art form.

Walker, now a 52-year-old freelance illustrator with three children, said her then boyfriend Martin Elliott was a photography student when he persuaded her to pose for the shot.

She was not keen on tennis, borrowed the footwear from her father and wore a tennis dress of a "friend of a friend". The balls on the court were ones she used to throw for her pet dog.

Walker revealed that despite the huge popularity of the poster, she has remained almost anonymous -- and received no royalties.

"I think my children tell people that it's me but most people don't believe it," she said.

"I was very naive and was paid nothing, and I think it's the biggest-selling poster ever.

"My mother has a very faded copy in what used to be my father's study and I just have it in the form of a very small postcard."

She added: "It never ceases to make me smile when I see it sometimes. I see it in very strange places."

"It has a place in the history of tennis. I think Martin Elliott would be very proud of the fact that his picture is in the exhibition," she added.
Elliott died last year.

The picture goes on show at the Barber Institute in Birmingham on May 27, less than a mile from the garden of a villa in suburban Edgbaston, where the sport was first played.

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I actually did have that poster hanging in my room.

ashstralia
03-26-2011, 05:04 AM
i had 44 and 48. hit some great shots. cracking weather...:)

ashstralia
03-26-2011, 05:39 AM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/golf.jpg

ashstralia
03-28-2011, 05:44 AM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/pumpdrive.jpg

smashing the drive down the middle is fun...

edit; yep that's my ball.

ashstralia
04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
bring on the cathedral in the pines. amen corner on sunday.

chefcraig
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Yep. Watched the ESPN tribute to the 25th anniversary of Jack Nicklaus' 1986 victory last evening, and man, was it ever a cool thing. Bring it on!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/bobert_051/jack_nicklaus.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
It didn't take long for the Masters to give us its first moment that'll get us banned from Augusta National forever if we don't play it correctly.
Aaron Baddeley teed off at 8:51 a.m., part of a pairing that included Vijay Singh and Tim Clark. Baddeley's tee shot lofted up, up, drifted left ... and ended up landing in a woman's lap. Yes, really.
According to Golfweek's Sean Martin, the woman remained seated with the ball in her lap until Baddeley arrived. He then marked the ball's spot underneath her chair with a tee. She stood up, the ball dropped to the ground, and Baddeley then placed it at the tee to set up for his second shot. Talk about an awkward moment.
The little detour didn't prove a distraction, as Baddeley made par. However, the rest of the round didn't go quite so well; the Aussie dunked a ball on 12 and ended up +3. For such an interesting and promising start, he ended up playing ... Baddeley. (Sorry. So sorry.)

Blaze
04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Gasp, muffled chatter, and restrained good cheer...

Great story, just when you say... I have seen the tourney enough times, an amusing event like this delivers itself.
Still, it is only the practice rounds, which have quite the rambunctious patrons.

chefcraig
04-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Still, it is only the practice rounds, which have quite the rambunctious patrons.

The practice rounds were held on Monday. Today is the first day of the tournament.

Blaze
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I see.

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 02:38 AM
ok, interesting first round. couple of dudes with hot putters, you need that at augusta. cut day tomorrow....

http://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/index.html

chefcraig
04-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Man, haven't seen or heard Augusta quite like this in a while. It's LOUD, as the roaring cheers are coming about every five minutes. Guys are bombing the crap out of the pins right now, and it's too early to tell who is going to pull this off.

chefcraig
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM
And don't look now, but Woods is now one off the lead.

Fairwrning
04-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Just got in from shooting 101...FUKK!!...This is a great finish..Rory really choked today eh?,,,I would love to see a 4-5 man playoff..so many within 1 shot til Scott just nailed the 16th..awesome shot

Fairwrning
04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Great tourney..felt bad for Mccilroy...shitload of pressure for a 21 yr old or anybody ....4 straight birdies to win for Charl Schwartzel??!!

chefcraig
04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Rory really choked today eh?

It was awful to watch, and it finally got so bad that after the triple-bogey at 10, he drove his next drive into a creek. He was just standing in the tee box, bent over his club in a state of shock, and CBS stopped showing him on camera for the rest of the tournament.

Overall, an amazing and intensely satisfying Masters final round. I was rooting for the Australian guys (Adam Scott, Jason Day and Geoff Ogilvy), all three of them within striking distance. In any event, congrats to Charl Schwartzel for a beautifully played round.

Fairwrning
04-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Well..he seemed to handle the interview well at the end..kid knows his jacket is coming.

Fairwrning
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Impressed with Jason Day too..amazing how many young players there are..I dont recall a "youth " movement in golf like this .

chefcraig
04-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Impressed with Jason Day too..amazing how many young players there are..I dont recall a "youth " movement in golf like this .

It is odd, as it came on so quickly. For the longest time, the only winners were whomever was playing when Woods was not. You have to imagine that these kids grew up watching Tiger as an inspiration. That and the new technology developed in the past seven years have made for a rapid turnaround. Now that Tiger has become mortal and the rest of the field has grown older, these younger guys were ready to fill the void. The pisser is, they can all hit the ball seven miles, but not one of them seems to have the imagination that Woods had at that age. They seem to overpower the course by brute force alone, and only a handful of them are any good with a putter. That is what makes Day's performance today stand out, as his putting was amazingly accurate, as was Schwartzel's and Ogilvey's.

Fairwrning
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Good point..technology on clubs today is so far beyond that of, hell, five years? I would bet a good percentage of todays PGA players would struggle badly with wooden drivers, paper thin irons and no hybrids...How low would Ben Hogan shoot in his prime today?

chefcraig
04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Good point..technology on clubs today is so far beyond that of, hell, five years? I would bet a good percentage of todays PGA players would struggle badly with wooden drivers, paper thin irons and no hybrids...How low would Ben Hogan shoot in his prime today?

Here's an example: I've been using the same clubs for about ten years now, while the guys I play with have gone out and spent hundreds on the latest things. They usually out drive me, but their short games and putting is dismal, so we are about even when we tee it up. One weekend, we were to play in a charity tournament, when one of our gang broke his foot (biking, of all things). Since he backed out, he allowed me to use his bag. Now I'd never even touched a single club of his, but not only out drove and outscored our crew that day, I managed to get us to a third place finish.

It is said that a poor craftsman blames his tools, but it did make me seriously reconsider investing in more recent equipment. That is, until the economy tanked and I stopped playing as much, if at all.

ashstralia
04-12-2011, 06:55 AM
well done charl. 4 birdie finish. if i didn't watch it, i wouldn't have believed it. the eagle chip in early in the round always helps.

ashstralia
04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
aah, putting. that other game within the game. i love it. i sweetly stroked one today which tracked straight towards the hole,
went left, went right, then leftish again and trickled in...dr.c is playing beautiful golf.

ashstralia
04-13-2011, 07:07 AM
111 players, i won by 7 shots. 3 blokes shared 2nd:)

PETE'S BROTHER
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
atta boy :baaa:

chefcraig
04-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Pro golfer Kevin Na shoots a 16 ... on one hole! (video)

BY DAN CAHILL Afternoon Sports Club (http://www.suntimes.com/4853689-417/pro-golfer-kevin-na-shoots-a-16-...-on-one-hole-video) Apr 15, 2011 03:52PM

Kevin Na set an all-time PGA low, carding a 16 on the ninth hole Thursday at TPC San Antonio during the Texas Open. | AP

Any weekend golfer is familiar with a “snowman,” the term used for scoring an “8” on a hole.

But what do you call it when you card a 16? A double snowman?

Well, for weekend golfers it rarely gets to that point because a compassionate playing partner usually allows the hacker to pick up his ball before it reaches double digits.

Such is not the case on the PGA Tour.

Kevin Na, playing in the Texas Open, recorded a tour-record 16 on the ninth hole at the TPC San Antonio on Thursday. Amazingly, he shot a 4-under-par 64 on the other 17 holes, but his meltdown on No. 9 was epic.

Even the announcers had a hard time keeping track of his shots, at one point saying, “I’m not even sure what stroke he’s playing.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTXoNzuk8c&feature=player_embedded

ashstralia
04-15-2011, 06:48 PM
that was pretty funny...

ashstralia
04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
bit of an update... i've been very successful lately :) won a stroke event on april 2nd with 64 nett, a versus par april 9th with plus 13, and a stableford on april 13 with 45 points. i've lost 14 handicap strokes!!!! the ashman is officially on fire. :biggrin:

ashstralia
04-21-2011, 09:09 AM
here is [left to right] barney, ash, and Dr.C.:)

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/golfin.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
barney needs a nice golf shirt...:hee:

ashstralia
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
he's got a few... must've been laundry day:biggrin:

Nitro Express
04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
His shirt looks like sheets after a wet pussy has been on them.

ashstralia
04-21-2011, 09:08 PM
it was 42℃ that day.. which is why i prefer to wear white, and lots of sunscreen and anti perspirant:)

chefcraig
04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Hey ash, do yourself a favor this weekend and check out the Heritage from Hilton Head, South Carolina. The conditions have made it so that landing your ball on the green is like hitting onto an asphalt parking lot covered with wet cardboard. It's a beautiful course with some ball-busting par 3s. This is the course with the lighthouse on the eighteenth green (which has inexplicably been blocked by new grandstands for the past few years, wrecking the view) and where Brian Davis gave himself a two shot penalty last year, handing the victory over to Jim Furyk. Currently, Furyk is tied for the lead with Luke Donald.

ashstralia
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM
no worries craig. i've watched that tournament over the years, there are some awesome holes. this course was the work of mr. nicklaus, if i'm not mistaken?

chefcraig
04-24-2011, 08:40 PM
no worries craig. i've watched that tournament over the years, there are some awesome holes. this course was the work of mr. nicklaus, if i'm not mistaken?

Correct, and Pete Dye updated it around 1999.

It came down to a play off this afternoon between Luke Donald and Brandt Snedeker, and it was a real shoot out.

ashstralia
04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
unfortunately mate, i haven't got pay tv so i'll have to see highlights on the news...

ashstralia
05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
seve's teeing it up with hogan..... r.i.p.http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/spanish-golfing-great-seve-ballesteros-reportedly-dies-after-three-year-battle-with-brain-tumour/story-e6frf3oc-1226051648745

chefcraig
05-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Damn. I knew he was ill, but I kinda sensed things were bad when he couldn't attend the Masters' Dinner. RIP, Mr. Ballesteros, and thanks for the memories.

ashstralia
05-07-2011, 08:42 AM
seve showed a whole lot of golfers that it's ok to play a left handed 5 iron from under a tree whilst on your knees. fucking awesome golf player.

SunisinuS
05-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Pro golfer Kevin Na shoots a 16 ... on one hole! (video)

BY DAN CAHILL Afternoon Sports Club (http://www.suntimes.com/4853689-417/pro-golfer-kevin-na-shoots-a-16-...-on-one-hole-video) Apr 15, 2011 03:52PM

Kevin Na set an all-time PGA low, carding a 16 on the ninth hole Thursday at TPC San Antonio during the Texas Open. | AP

Any weekend golfer is familiar with a “snowman,” the term used for scoring an “8” on a hole.

But what do you call it when you card a 16? A double snowman?

Well, for weekend golfers it rarely gets to that point because a compassionate playing partner usually allows the hacker to pick up his ball before it reaches double digits.

Such is not the case on the PGA Tour.

Kevin Na, playing in the Texas Open, recorded a tour-record 16 on the ninth hole at the TPC San Antonio on Thursday. Amazingly, he shot a 4-under-par 64 on the other 17 holes, but his meltdown on No. 9 was epic.

Even the announcers had a hard time keeping track of his shots, at one point saying, “I’m not even sure what stroke he’s playing.”

Wow. And that hole did not even have a drawbridge going up and down,...and that is the one that always gets me.

chefcraig
05-12-2011, 06:49 PM
One year later, same result: Tiger quits at TPC. :duh:

Woods withdraws from Players after nine holes

Doug Ferguson, The Associated Press/YAHOO (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=capress-glf_players_championship_woods_withdraws-6830178)

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. - Tiger Woods limped off the golf course and into an uncertain future.

His return at The Players Championship from what he had described as a "minor injury" lasted only nine holes Thursday. Woods withdrew because of pain in his left knee and Achilles tendon, but not before taking 42 shots for his worst nine-hole score on the TPC Sawgrass course.

"I'm having a hard time walking," he said.

Woods flexed his left knee after hitting tee shots. He took baby steps to climb out of a bunker. He walked with a golf club for support, lagging a football field behind his playing partners with a noticeable limp. His quickest steps were to catch up to Martin Kaymer on the way to the 10th tee to tell him he was done.

Before driving off in a white Mercedes, Woods ducked into a fitness trailer with a sign painted on the side that said, "Is knee pain holding you back?"

The more relevant question is where Woods goes from here.

The crisis in his personal life that led to divorce last summer no longer appears to be the biggest obstacle in regaining his golf game or pursuing Jack Nicklaus' record 18 majors.

It's his health.

Woods already has gone through four surgeries on his left knee. Now he has an Achilles problem, too. He has gone 18 months since his last win, three years without adding to his 14 majors, and he has no idea when he will be fit enough to compete again.

It started on the first hole, a three-wood that "just didn't feel good" and sailed well to the left into the pine trees. His left foot slipped on the pine straw — similar to the shot on the 17th hole at Augusta National in the third round that caused this latest injury — and he wound up on the side of a mound short of the green, another awkward stance.

"The knee acted up, and then the Achilles followed after that, and then the calf started cramping up," Woods said. "Everything started getting tight, so it's just a whole chain reaction."

Asked if he should have walked off the course earlier, Woods replied, "Probably."

He stopped on the seventh hole of the fourth round at The Players last year with what turned out to be a minor neck injury. This time he made it only to the ninth hole of the first round. From the fairway, he blasted a five-wood so far over the green that it landed beyond a bunker, under a tree. He flubbed his chip into the bunker, blasted out to 25 feet and made another bogey.

"Tiger looked like he was in pain today," said Matt Kuchar, the third in their group. "You could tell he was walking quite slowly, quite gingerly. He was last to get to his ball every time. … Probably by the second hole, you could tell that walk wasn't normal. And I think by the third hole, started seeing some grimacing."

Kaymer, who opened with a 67 as he tries to return to No. 1 in the world, was playing with Woods for only the second time.

"Nobody really knows how much pain he was in," Kaymer said. "He was walking really slowly. He was walking behind us. But I didn't know that it was because of pain, or I just thought that he walks a little slower than me."

Woods had not played since the Masters, when he said he hurt his knee and Achilles after hitting from the pine straw beneath Eisenhower Tree in the third round. Woods briefly tied for the lead the next day and finished tied for fourth.

He described it as a minor injury two weeks ago when saying that he would skip the Wells Fargo Championship last week, and his coach, Sean Foley of Burlington, Ont., said he had been walking in a protective boot.

Woods did not practise after the Masters until Monday. He did not play golf until Tuesday at Sawgrass — nine holes, then another nine holes on Wednesday. It was not ideal preparation on a course he does not particularly enjoy.

Foley was with Woods on the practice range Thursday morning and said he looked fine. The coach then went to watch two other clients, and while passing by on the ninth hole noticed that Woods was walking some 40 yards behind the others.

"This week I've been quite happy that he had that layoff and still looked quite a bit like the weekend at Augusta," Foley said. "I don't know. I don't think it's so much his swing as the walking, you know? It's the whole thing. You get out of bed, who knows?"

Off the tee, Woods looked fine. He hit his driver 40 yards by Kaymer and Kuchar on No. 9, and he was 30 yards past Kaymer on No. 5. Of the five times in seven holes that Woods hit the fairway, however, he never once hit the green.

His only birdie putt came on the par-3 third, and he missed that from 15 feet.

On the next hole, he pulled his tee shot into the mounds left of the fairway, then said, "No!" when his next shot found the water. After taking a penalty drop some 30 yards short of the hazard, Woods' pitch shot to a back pin hit the bulkhead and went back into the pond. He had to make a 20-foot putt for triple bogey.

Asked if the triple bogey was related to his knee, Woods said, "The tee shot was. It grabbed me on the tee shot there. But the pitch shots weren't. Those were just bad pitch shots. Those were just awful."

Woods typically would next play the Memorial in three weeks, with the U.S. Open at Congressional — a course on which he won two years ago at his AT&T National — starting June 15.

Woods has no idea when he can return.

"I just finished nine holes," he said. "Give me a few days to see what the docs say, and we'll take a look at it."

For Woods, however, this is becoming an old story.

"He's got to get healthy," Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III said. "He obviously played good at the Masters when he was healthy. Whatever it is, he should stay away until he's feeling better."

The 42 was three shots higher than his previous worst nine-hole score at the TPC Sawgrass. His worst nine-hole score on the PGA Tour was a 43 on four occasions, most recently on the back nine at Quail Hollow last year when he missed the cut.

Woods said doctors told him he could play this week.

"The more rest I get, the better it would be, obviously," Woods said. "It's a big event. I wanted to come back for it and play, and unfortunately I wasn't able to finish."

His pursuit of Nicklaus looks further away with each setback. Woods remains at 14 majors, none since his U.S. Open title at Torrey Pines in 2008, when he went 91 holes over five days before having reconstructive surgery on his left knee.

He said neither the pain nor the injury was as bad Thursday.

"No, no, my leg was broken there," Woods said. "So no, not quite that bad."

Then again, this isn't a major. Woods had said earlier that he would not have skipped Quail Hollow last week had it been a major. And he still has three majors ahead of him over the next three months.

Asked if he had any worries, Woods replied, "I know I have, but it's just a matter of what we're going to do about it."

ashstralia
05-14-2011, 02:01 AM
hmmm... could this be a sign? the parking space the officials allocated to him was a disabled zone...

ashstralia
06-17-2011, 06:50 PM
so anyone been watching the u.s. open? rory's at it again... only probs for me: to watch the last 9 holes each day live (i don't have pay tv) i have to get up at 5am and it's the middle of freaking winter here.

chefcraig
06-17-2011, 07:27 PM
That's the nice thing about the Golf channel and for the Open, ESPN: Thursday and Friday's rounds (and every so often, the weekend's) are repeated in prime time. Th downside to ESPN's coverage is the insufferable boar Chris Berman, who knows next to nothing about golf and resorts to shoe-horning in odd phrases associated with baseball and football to describe the action. Berman's ignorance reached a climax last year when he uttered the word shank in describing a player's errant ball, which has been a no-no dating back to when the sport was first being televised in the late 1940s. It's pretty much the same as announcing a pitcher is in the middle of a perfect game, it simply isn't done.

The scoring this year has been really strange. Guys you never heard of are knocking in 20 foot putts, while the top 3 players in the world (Donald, Westwood and Kaymer) can't seem to find the fairway. Rory at one point had a 13 shot lead, the biggest lead ever at the Open. He hit into the water on 18 (along with 5 or 6 other guys who were above par at the time) and settled for 11 under.

ash, you can watch the Open online for free at ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/espn3/#). If unavailable in your area, there are a handful of other sites HERE (http://www.google.com/search?q=us+open+live+online&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).

ashstralia
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
cheers craig. must get hdmi cable for laptop!

chefcraig
06-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Holy shit, what a performance by Rory McIlroy - 4 rounds in the 60s 65–66–68–69, making him only the third player in U.S. Open history to break 70 in all four rounds. Finishing 2-under 69 Sunday to close the four days at Congressional at 16-under 268, he shattering a U.S. Open scoring record held by four players, including Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Simply amazing to watch.

Seshmeister
06-19-2011, 08:03 PM
He was born the year after Skyscraper came out. :wacko:

ashstralia
06-20-2011, 06:58 AM
he's a freaking robot! i'm playing a non-home course tomorrow (tuesday), i'll let y'all know how i go....

ashstralia
06-21-2011, 05:29 AM
i had 89 bats for a nett 77. great course, shitloads of bunkers. dr. c got a streak going on the back 9, he played 6 holes in 1 over. our putters deserted us though, probably a dozen 3putts in the foursome. when you play a new course you don't know the speed and the breaks ay. fucking awesome fun day though!!!!
:biggrin:

Fairwrning
06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Ok..I saw this on around the horn or something ( ESPN) .. possibly the gayest yet funny clip I've seen lately..Some big names in there ( Watson/Mahan/Fowler) ..Im hitting low to mid nineties last few weeks..look out baby..
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM2NocuEihw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM2NocuEihw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

POJO_Risin
06-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I was waiting for bubba to break out some "come on Eileen..."

ashstralia
06-24-2011, 10:37 PM
hahaha! classic...:biggrin:

Fairwrning
06-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Im not sure whats up with the outfits but , yeah, I immediately thought of the Dixie Dregs when I saw the overalls...best line.."when i play my game I make my mama proud"...pretty funny shit in there..Mahan steals the show in the pimp outfit,,

chefcraig
06-27-2011, 06:22 PM
The funniest part about this will be when a group of drunken fans in the gallery start serenading these guys with the tune on the back nine whenever they happen to be in contention or when at least two of them are playing together.

ashstralia
06-29-2011, 06:30 AM
the open starts in a couple of weeks... can rory do it again? god* i love golf.

*insert your deity of choice, or, if agnostic atheist, global warming and string theorists.

chefcraig
06-29-2011, 09:17 AM
For countless Americans (including me), the British Open is a non-starter. There are several reasons for this, a few that I'll mention here. To begin with, the course itself is far too wide open. For people used to the close confines of U.S. courses, this is like watching guys chase a ball around a prairie. We are pretty used to seeing a guy drive a ball between columns of trees on a 35 yard wide fairway, not out into the great wide open. (This can be traced to growing up on putt-putt courses with a clown's mouth at the end, which came to full fruition with the God-awful spectacle of "stadium courses" in the early 1980s.)

This also presents another problem, which is how the event is televised. Having to use binoculars while watching any sport is a turn-off for Americans, especially while watching it on tv. Every hole on the Open is filmed from about 3-4 miles away, so there is no form of intimacy involved. You can not see the joy or pain a player's face registers after a shot, which in itself adds a great deal to following the game. OK, I realize this puts the focus on the shot making itself, but people by and large want to empathize with what the individual golfer is going through, as it translates to our own game. And even for those that do not play, it is an integral part of watching the competition.

Then there is that whole time thing. Even for hardcore drinkers, it is difficult to sit back with a cooler full of beer at 7:00 AM. One of the finer parts of following golf on tv is falling asleep on the couch during a Sunday afternoon, waking up to find the coverage still taking place and realizing you haven't missed all that much. If an event ends around 11 o'clock in the morning, it pretty much scuttles your plans for a day of rest and relaxation. You end up watching sports you really don't care about, or even worse, Law & Order, Myth Busters and Pawn Stars reruns along with documentaries about UFOs. It really fucks up your weekend, ya know?

Besides all that, John Daly won the damned thing in 1995. I mean really, John fucking Daly?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/jrb451/JohnDaly.jpg

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 09:42 AM
For countless Americans (including me), the British Open is a non-starter.

It's not called 'the British Open' it's the Open. :)

chefcraig
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Depends upon what parcel of land you are standing on. Since sometime in the late 1800s, anyone outside of the U.K. called it the British Open, regardless of whether it was played in Northern Ireland, Scotland or England. If anything, this only reenforces my point regarding American's low regard for the event.

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Well that's a disgraceful situation. :)

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Links golf is proper golf, the US stuff is far too sanitized like, as you said, Mini Golf.

I'll admit though that US courses make for better video games.

chefcraig
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Which goes a long way toward explaining the runaway popularity of Golden Tee machines in bars and pubs here. You'd be amazed by the amount of "players" of this arcade game that have a defined passion for the sport, yet do not own a set of clubs and have never visited a course in their entire lives. It also goes back to my point regarding the average American's view of the sport, which more often than not reflects our government's imperialistic view taken to just about all matters overseas.

Nitro Express
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Then you have annoying Americans coming over to Scotland buying up land and insulting the locals so they can build a giant mini put course there.:biggrin:

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
He's arrrrrrrrrrrogant and he's ignorrrrrrrrrrrent. :)

It's pretty fucking annoying to listen to Trump looking down on people's property when he is only in the position he is from inheriting hundreds of millions. He isn't popular here but reluctantly people accepted that $1 billion investment was too useful and using politicians he eventually pushed through the planning permission.

Latest news though is that it's not going to happen in the way he planned.

Donald Trump's plan for £750m Scottish golf resort put on hold

US tycoon says golf course will open next year – but complex featuring luxury villas and five-star hotel postponed for now

Severin Carrell, Scotland correspondent

guardian.co.uk, Monday 20 June 2011 19.31 BST

Donald Trump has been forced to postpone his plan to create the "world's greatest" golf resort in Scotland, complete with five-star hotel and luxury villas, because of the global financial crisis.

The billionaire property developer flew into Aberdeen on Monday on his latest luxury jet, a Boeing 757-200 fitted out with a master bedroom and five kitchens, to announce that his championship standard 18-hole golf course overlooking the North Sea would open for play in July next year.

Before touring the first completed holes, Trump said he had spent £50m to £60m of his own money carving the "amazing" course from the vast dunes, and would start taking advance bookings in 10 days. He hoped that Sir Sean Connery, one of the earliest backers of the resort, would open it for him.

"We have been inundated from New York and Scotland from people who want to come and play the course," he said. "Thousands of people have been calling: 'how can we play it?'"

But the tycoon said that the full scheme, a £750m complex featuring a luxury hotel, Trump Boulevard, a golf academy, a second course and timeshare apartments, had been bunkered by the recession.

Trump said "the world has crashed" since he first bought the Menie estate and dunes in 2005, provoking a long-running battle with local residents, councillors and environmental groups about his proposals, which has involved heavily altering the legally protected rare dunes.

ashstralia
06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
excellent dissertation, craig. distinction.:) it's on at 11p to about 4am here. perfect!!!

here's an awesome site for the proper golf nuts...http://www.golfhelp.com/search/search.php/search::cat/category::125/

Fairwrning
07-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Incredible finish going on today..How do these guys play in that weather?

chefcraig
07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
From our "WTF Was Tiger Thinking This Time" department, Woods fires longtime caddie Stevie Williams. :confused13:

Tiger Woods and Steve Williams officially call it quits

By Shane Bacon YAHOO (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Tiger-Woods-and-Steve-Williams-officially-call-i?urn=golf-wp3915)

Team Tiger announced on its website Wednesday that Steve Williams will no longer be working with Woods as a caddie, ending a 12-year relationship that saw the two rack up 13 of Tiger's 14 major championships.

Here is the official statement from Tiger's website:

"I want to express my deepest gratitude to Stevie for all his help, but I think it's time for a change," Woods said. "Stevie is an outstanding caddie and a friend and has been instrumental in many of my accomplishments. I wish him great success in the future."

While it might be a big change, it isn't exactly surprising. Williams has been working with Adam Scott since Tiger has been injured, and the two seem to have a good chemistry together. Along with that, it seems that anything and everything that Woods can change to get him on a different path with his golf game would be a smart move, and although some suggested this back in 2009, it finally came Wednesday.

Williams posted an update on his website, saying, "After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger's scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change and Tiger battling through injuries I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time. I have had the opportunity to work of late for Australian Adam Scott and will now caddy for him on a permanent basis."

The caddie-player relationship has always been an interesting one. If you think about it, most PGA Tour players spend more time with their caddie than they do with their family, and while there are some relationships like Phil Mickelson and Jim Mackay that look like they'll never end, players change caddies all the time (just ask any LPGA player you know).

No replacement has been announced for Tiger yet, and since there is nothing else to say, we might as well remember two moments that defined the relationship between Williams and Woods.

The first came at the 2006 British Open, Tiger's first major win since the passing of his father, Earl. Woods rolled in the winning putt, and collapsed in Williams' arms on the green, not letting go as he sobbed on the looper's shoulder. The second came at the 2009 Bay Hill Invitational, when Tiger's birdie putt disappeared and his return from injury was complete. They both celebrated like it was their first win, and the competitive nature of both player and athlete shined through.

Most regard Williams as one of the best caddies ever, and while it looks like his relationship with Scott will continue, the waiting game will be just who is the next to carry the bag of Mr. Woods.

ashstralia
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
wow, heard this on the news this morn. steve's probably got enough money to retire twice, maybe the challenge of helping adam win a major or two appeals to his professional ego? tiger might be years of rehab (and a ground up swing rebuild) away from his best golf, and they both know it. if adam can learn to roll the pressure putts, he could win a few big ones. smart move all round imho.

Diamondjimi
07-22-2011, 01:47 PM
More dirt....

HERE (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Steve-Williams-on-Tiger-Woods-8216-I-8217-ve?urn=golf-wp3957)

chefcraig
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Jesus. Ya know something? I'd be willing to bet that Tiger is just about shitting himself sideways over the idea that Williams might be entertaining tell-all book offers about now. Unless Steve signed some sort of confidentiality agreement, Woods' reputation could even sink lower.

Fairwrning
07-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Mickelson is playing the Greenbriar..I can get passes for $40...may have to go walk the grounds Saturday.

chefcraig
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Mickelson is playing the Greenbriar..I can get passes for $40...may have to go walk the grounds Saturday.

That's one of the nice things about following Phil: Chances are he'll make the cut and still be there on the weekend.

Fairwrning
07-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I think he will be playing late Saturday as well..

POJO_Risin
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't think he's missed a cut this year yet...

Of course, knowing wrning's luck...

POJO_Risin
07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I love links golf...I've always liked watching European golf as a whole...

Fairwrning
07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Now I will feel bad if Phil misses the damn cut

chefcraig
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Tiger commits to World Golf Championships-Bridgestone

PGATour.com (http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/r476/07/29/tiger-commits-to-bridgestone/)

AKRON, Ohio -- Tiger Woods officially committed to the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational today, marking his return to competitive golf at a venue that has been very kind to him throughout his career. Firestone Country Club's historic South Course has served as the event's host venue for 11 of the last 12 years and was the stage for all of Woods' seven victories. Woods and a field that includes Charl Schwartzel, Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke, Luke Donald, Nick Watney, K.J. Choi, Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan and Dustin Johnson will again challenge the South Course at Firestone Country Club for the season's third World Golf Championships event, Aug. 3-7.

The field will be finalized when the commitment deadline passes at 5 p.m. ET today.

Woods, who won the Bridgestone Invitational from 1999-2001, 2005-2007 and again in 2009, joins a field comprised of tournament winners from around the world and one that annually ranks as one of the strongest and deepest of the year. Joining Woods among the players already qualified are 2011 major championship winners Schwartzel (the Masters Tournament), McIlroy (U.S. Open) and Clarke (British Open).

The winners of the season's first two World Golf Championships events, Donald (Accenture Match Play Championship), and current FedExCup points leader Watney (Cadillac Championship), have also qualified and will both have the opportunity to become the first player since Mickelson (Cadillac Championship/HSBC Champions) in 2009 to capture two World Golf Championships events in a single season. Mickelson is qualified for the Bridgestone Invitational via his victory in April at the Shell Houston Open.

"Tiger Woods' record here at the Bridgestone Invitational truly speaks for itself, and we're excited he has joined what is shaping up to be an incredible field," said Executive Director Donald Padgett III. "We look forward to welcoming our fans to Firestone Country Club and those from around the world through our international television partners for what promises to be a memorable and thrilling week of competition."

The Bridgestone Invitational will mark Woods' first competitive start since he withdrew from THE PLAYERS Championship in May after just nine holes with injuries to his left knee and left Achilles tendon. In five starts in 2011, not including THE PLAYERS, Woods' best result was a T4 at The Masters. In two previous starts this year in World Golf Championships events, he lost in the first round to Thomas Bjorn at the Accenture Match Play Championship and finished T10 at the Cadillac Championship.

Woods is one of four past champions already qualified for the Bridgestone Invitational along with Clarke (2003), Stewart Cink (2004) and defending champion Hunter Mahan (2010).

If not otherwise qualified, the winner of this week's Greenbrier Classic on the PGA TOUR and Irish Open on the European Tour would have the opportunity to join Woods and the game's best in the field at the Bridgestone Invitational. Both events are expected to have an Official World Golf Ranking Strength of Field Rating of at least 115 points. In addition, any player not otherwise qualified who moves into the top 50 of the Official World Golf Ranking on Monday, Aug. 1, will earn a last-minute trip to Firestone.

chefcraig
07-29-2011, 06:11 PM
That's one of the nice things about following Phil: Chances are he'll make the cut and still be there on the weekend.

I don't think he's missed a cut this year yet...

Of course, knowing wrning's luck...

Now I will feel bad if Phil misses the damn cut

Crap, aren't we the kiss of death. Phil shot 3 over and missed the cut. :duh:

ashstralia
08-10-2011, 10:24 PM
if adam can learn to roll the pressure putts, he could win a few big ones. smart move all round imho.

hehe... nice win at the wgc scotty! bring on the uspga. go aussies!

Fairwrning
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Crap, aren't we the kiss of death. Phil shot 3 over and missed the cut. :duh:

Sorry Phil

On a lighter note<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNRbvRuRO60?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNRbvRuRO60?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

ashstralia
09-03-2011, 08:48 PM
hehehe... asian chicks, good at oral, not so good at aural. i'm going out for a smash today.:)

ashstralia
09-10-2011, 06:18 AM
i had 86 hits today in extremely testy windy conditions off the back tees. short game and putting above average. leading by five strokes. :)

ashstralia
09-10-2011, 11:48 PM
i should clarify, i was drinky celebratory. it was round one of our club championships. rds 2 and 3 next saturday and sunday, round 4 the following saturday. woohoo!!!!:) had a birdie on the 575 yard par 5 5th. not many birdies out there yesterday.

ashstralia
09-26-2011, 12:37 AM
ladies and gentlemen; your 2011 c grade club champion is....... ashstralia!!!!!! thangya verra mush.

Little Texan
12-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Is Tiger back? He won his first tournament in 2 years this weekend. Sure would be great if he could get it going again.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/16342398/tiger-ends-2year-win-drought

Nitro Express
12-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Is Tiger back? He won his first tournament in 2 years this weekend. Sure would be great if he could get it going again.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/16342398/tiger-ends-2year-win-drought

I never understood what the fuss was about Tiger and all those women. He was just doing his job. Golfers sink their balls into a hole and then move onto the next hole.

Whorehey
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Hyundai Tournament of Champions just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

ashstralia
01-06-2012, 10:43 PM
yeah, and there's a lot of top ranked players missing..

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/556899/2012-Hyundai-Tournament-of-Champions--Far-from-Field-of-Dreams.html?nav=11

Whorehey
01-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Holy Crap, 18 is playing 698 today and these
guys are reaching in two. And you're right, the field
is lacking marquee players.

Dig this hole when the trade winds are at their
back and they catch the slope off the tee. Remember
that Woods/Els duel on this hole?

Looks like Kevin Na put himself right back into this.
Nice back-to-back eagles to end an awesome 2nd nine.

ashstralia
01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
mate, i'll have to go to barney's place to watch... he's got the pay tv. i do remember the epic battles on 18!

Whorehey
01-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Tiger's playing Pebble :amen:

Didn't think we'd see him until at least Torrey.

ashstralia
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
i reckon if his knee holds up he'll have a good year.

Whorehey
01-17-2012, 08:48 PM
We'll get to see Phil this weekend. Also Matt Kuchar, who was a
point scoring machine last season in our fantasy league.
May very well be the next BPNTHWAM.

Need a smiley swinging a golf club!

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Geez, Ash. Looks like the Euro Tour is the event to watch this weekend. Rory, you should have known better than to start housekeeping before you're on.

BTW, are we the only two Golf fans on this site? Something else going on I don't know about? :umm:

ashstralia
01-27-2012, 08:19 PM
nah mate, there's a bunch of guys here who love it... the second week of april will bring 'em out. :biggrin:

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 08:25 PM
You getting Abu Dhabi live before your naked steaming eyes this weekend?

chefcraig
01-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Personally, I really don't get interested until Feb. 2-5: Waste Management Phoenix Open, Stadium Course at TPC Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Arizona. The 16th hole is a pisser, surrounded by drunken, rowdy fans on all sides, it's hilarious to watch. Oddly enough, this year it's scheduled to finish right before the Super Bowl kick off.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/45/31a17104707983cd9680196cd1ea1863.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/952791)

gbranton
01-27-2012, 08:29 PM
BTW, are we the only two Golf fans on this site? Something else going on I don't know about? :umm:

Nope, I love it. I watch nearly every touranment and plenty of Golf Channel in between.

ashstralia
01-27-2012, 08:35 PM
good onya g! yeah whorehey, craig is a certifiable golf nut like myself. i saw some highlights, but i don't have the pay tv. i may go over to barney's to watch the final round tho...

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=chefcraig;1603098] Waste Management Phoenix Open, Stadium Course at TPC Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Arizona.

Yeah, yeah. Didn't Tiger make ace there in '97 right after he turned pro? Place went berserk. Couple years after that he had some patrons help him with a "loose impediment"?
17 is that short driveable par-4 with wa-wa on three sides.

gbranton
01-27-2012, 08:47 PM
where do you play? what do you use? are you any good? ever had an hole in one? best score?
why all the questions?

Ping IST-K irons 2 - 9, 60, 53 and 49 Cleveland wedges, Cobra S2 driver, three wood and hybrid. An Odyssey putter.

I usually shoot around 100, I did shoot 88 once when I played much more often. I think I had played about five rounds in 24 hours that day, I had an unlimited pass. I really don't have anyone to play with these days, my friends seem to have all given it up in favor of trivial crap like raising kids, but this year I resolve to get out to the course more often.

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 08:49 PM
good onya g! yeah whorehey, craig is a certifiable golf nut like myself. i saw some highlights, but i don't have the pay tv. i may go over to barney's to watch the final round tho...

Dude, what's this barney's place you keep referring to? Don't Aussies get to watch Golf for free?

BTW,think I figured out that "reply with quote" thingy. Won't know for sure until I post this. Sorry Chef!

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Done and done :clap:

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Ping IST-K irons 2 - 9, 60, 53 and 49 Cleveland wedges, Cobra S2 driver, three wood and hybrid. An Odyssey putter

Nice...

Been slapping around i5's (4 - U) for five years. Gonna re-grip in the next couple of weeks, think I can put off the inevitable for a year or two. G15 driver, 3-wood, hybrid. Anser putter. Pro V-1 pellet of choice. Tried the Taylor-Made TP 5-piece ball a couple of times last year, knocked the shit out of it. But the cover is so thin that on mis-hits the sidespin is magnified and I banana slice like a 30 handicapper.

gbranton
01-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Besides all that, John Daly won the damned thing in 1995. I mean really, John fucking Daly?

It's unfortunate that John has turned himself into a sideshow act. The man has MASSIVE amounts of talent but ZERO drive. I honestly belive that if he could have controlled the boozing and put in some serious time honing his game he could have been one of the best golfers of the modern era. His balance and flexibilty are other worldly. I have seen him demonstrate incredibly soft hand and touch around the greens at times. He has a $100,000,000 body and a $0.05 head.

I'm not saying this because I'm a big fan either, I used to root for him until I started watching his reality show and that ruined it for me. He was whiny and unlikable. He came off very poorly, so I don't really care what happens to him anymore, I just think it's a shame.

gbranton
01-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Pro V-1 pellet of choice. Tried the Taylor-Made TP 5-piece ball a couple of times last year, knocked the shit out of it. But the cover is so thin that on mis-hits the sidespin is magnified and I banana slice like a 30 handicapper.

I haven't played enough over the last few years to settle on a ball of choice lately. But I know I don't need anything that magnifies a slice, LOL.

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Anthony Kim needs a wake-up call.

gbranton
01-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Anthony Kim needs a wake-up call.

If not, he'll be the next John Daly........with a fraction of the natural talent.

FORD
01-27-2012, 09:18 PM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/jrb451/JohnDaly.jpg

Damn, not one of his better pictures.

And disturbing to see because....... well, just ask anyone here who's actually met me in person :headlights:

gbranton
01-27-2012, 09:21 PM

I guess the Jim Owen studio in the couty jail was closed that day.

Whorehey
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Daly sporting orange before Rickie Fowler...

gbranton
01-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Daly sporting orange before Rickie Fowler...

It probably WAS Sunday morning.

ashstralia
01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
haha FORD!!!

whorehey, barney's my mate who had a bike crash and who i've been caring for. he's got the satellite dish. he's a member here, check his thread in fan intro. no, barring the u.s. masters and the aussie open/pga/masters we have to pay to watch golf. sux!!!!

one of our fta networks used to show all 4 majors, but they only do the masters now.

edit; i like the pro v1, also srixon z star, but mostly use a wilson ultra at $1 per ball.

FORD
01-27-2012, 09:33 PM
People PAY to watch golf?

It bores me to death for free. If I wanted to pay to be put to sleep, I'd go to a Chickenshit concert!

ashstralia
01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
yeah, the sports channels are included in the overall package... we pay a lot more for cable/satellite than you guys do... smaller market and all that.

ashstralia
01-28-2012, 03:22 AM
It's unfortunate that John has turned himself into a sideshow act. The man has MASSIVE amounts of talent but ZERO drive. I honestly belive that if he could have controlled the boozing and put in some serious time honing his game he could have been one of the best golfers of the modern era. His balance and flexibilty are other worldly. I have seen him demonstrate incredibly soft hand and touch around the greens at times. He has a $100,000,000 body and a $0.05 head.

couldn't agree more mate. winning a major so early in his career as an unknown alternate may have been the worst start ever.

then again, he still represents everyman.

gbranton
01-28-2012, 03:26 AM
couldn't agree more mate. winning a major so early in his career as an unknown alternate may have been the worst start ever.

then again, he still represents everyman.

I'm not so sure, everyman goes to work each day and tries to hone his craft, he hasn't given his talent it's due. Maybe it was too soon for him but then again we put ever more increasing amounts of pressure on younger and younger athletes.

ashstralia
01-28-2012, 03:33 AM
yeah. i reckon most of us still fantasize about a past where boobs bucks bourbon blow and baccarat get shoved in your face just for being able to hit a high drawn 4 iron from 230. whilst resembling FORD. :biggrin:

in oz, we still use metres. add 10% gives you yards. 230m = 253y

gbranton
01-28-2012, 03:46 AM
most of us still fantasize about a past where boobs bucks bourbon blow and baccarat get shoved in your face just for being able to hit a high drawn 4 iron from 230.

I have two of those things in abudant supply in the present, what I consider to be the best two. Even though my four iron is 200 yards at best.

ashstralia
01-28-2012, 03:57 AM
screamin lectric green!

Fairwrning
01-28-2012, 07:20 PM
It was supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny today...started decent but it became windy and cold,,I think i shot 120 today,,,,quit keeping score after 12..Worst round I have ever played..

ashstralia
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
least ya got a few holes in fairwrning... our course resembles a lake at the moment. oh well, we will live in a flood zone!

:pullinghair:

Fairwrning
01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
True..but when you play that bad it gets frustrating...and the fucking wind is 20 mph in 48 degree temps..

Whorehey
01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
We've got the Golf Show coming up in a couple of weeks
here in Chicago. Bunch of golf shops and resort destinations
in a convention hall. Find some great deals on last years models.
I ain't proud. I'll play last year's Pro V1s for $35/dozen.

ashstralia
01-28-2012, 11:47 PM
i 'best balled' a v1 and a v1x a while ago, liked the v1 better. thing is our course is soft most of the year so i can get by with a cheaper harder ball.

if you keep your grooves really clean, ya still get a fair degree of control, i reckon.

Whorehey
01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Note to TW: Posting a 72 for a final round score is NOT gonna cut it on Tour (PGA or Euro).

Jesus, 2/14 fairways?

Dave's PA Rental
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I've been playing 10-12 times a year for 20 years now. I'm just now feeling like I can actually play. I have shitty clubs and a $25 driver. I'm hoping to upgrade to some Taylor Made Burner irons in April. I was hitting the absolute SHIT out of the ball off the tee at the end of last season, so I might keep that $25 driver.

My "almost" hole-in-one story: 15 years ago on a long par 3...don't remember the yardage or the club that I hit, but it was probably a 5. This was before I knew how to hit a golfball. Anyway, I hit it and it's dead center, going right at the pin. I saw it bounce real close to the hole and much to my surprise it checked up and stayed about 4 feet from the hole.

As I got to the green I was searching for the ball mark to fix it, but there was not ball mark on the entire green. I looked in the hole and there was a half-ball mark buried into the lip and side of the cup. So I kind of got a hole-in-one, it just didn't stay in. If I had actually hit a lofted shot and not a 400 mph line drive...oh well. I did make the bird though...

Fairwrning
01-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Dam near 70 here today..end of January,,crazy..getting the fever

Whorehey
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Here's hoping Big Phil can get his act together at the Waste Management Phoenix Open this weekend.
He was all over the place last weekend at Torrey.
Sorry, Ash. I thought Pebble was this weekend. It's next weekend.
My friends are going to the indoor simulators this weekend to hit into the screen, gonna take a pass.

ashstralia
02-01-2012, 08:37 PM
cool whorehey.. pebble is an outstanding course. can't wait.

great tale, DPA!! mate if that driver/putter/wedge gets the results don't part with it!

fairwrning.. me too. haven't had a hit for weeks. autumn is our best weather for golf (your spring of course) and when the water damage subsides, our greens crew will have her looking ship shape in no time. there's probably only 6 fairways that were underwater anyway. i reckon a little layoff does wonders for the enthusiasm; last year i played a LOT of golf. at least 18 a week and maybe a dozen comp rounds.

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=ashstralia;1606531 at least 18 a week [/QUOTE]

Ash, we're talking holes, right?

gbranton
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Here's hoping Big Phil can get his act together at the Waste Management Phoenix Open this weekend.

He'll have to manage the waste that is his game lately.

He is floundering around looking for some answers, I couldn't believe my eyes when he was using that long putter last year. Watching professional golfers use long putters is like watching an NFL game using a Nerf football.

POJO_Risin
02-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Yo Rental...check out Craigslist...crazy ass deals on there.

I've been knocking shit around with a 17-year old set of Lynx Black Cats with fucking gay-ass flare shafts that shuck monster dick (because at some point, the club heads fly off, then they are damn near impossible to fix), but I hit them well.

I've always wanted a set of Pings, and over the years, I had hit a friends i3's, and absolutely loved them. Found a set on the list for $150, and got them down to $90. Since it was the 1-PW, it was a fucking steal, and these damn things are mint. Since then, I've sporadically picked up clubs here and there to complete the set, and get some extras. I picked up a Ping G10 3 wood that looked brand new for $25, and hit it so well, I picked up a G10 10.5 degree driver, and the guy threw in a 2009 Taylor Made burner 10 1/2 degree driver that he hit for half a season and hated, a g10 21 degree hybrid, and a 2009 Taylor Made rescue 19 degree hybrid all for $150.

I then went to Dicks and hit about 50 putter, and really gravitated to two Odyssey Putters. Love the fucking XG White Hot #7, and the XG White Ice #9 that is modeled after the putter Mickelson is using...

hopped up on the List...and found a #7...got the guy down to $30. The thing is not the newest model...but probably from five or six years ago...

but fuck...I love the damn thing...

Talk about itching to play...

Yo wrning...no shit...we need to play early Saturday morning...the day of the concert...

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Yo Rental...check out Craigslist...crazy ass deals on there.

I've been knocking shit around with a 17-year old set of Lynx Black Cats with fucking gay-ass flare shafts that shuck monster dick (because at some point, the club heads fly off, then they are damn near impossible to fix), but I hit them well.

I've always wanted a set of Pings, and over the years, I had hit a friends i3's, and absolutely loved them. Found a set on the list for $150, and got them down to $90. Since it was the 1-PW, it was a fucking steal, and these damn things are mint. Since then, I've sporadically picked up clubs here and there to complete the set, and get some extras. I picked up a Ping G10 3 wood that looked brand new for $25, and hit it so well, I picked up a G10 10.5 degree driver, and the guy threw in a 2009 Taylor Made burner 10 1/2 degree driver that he hit for half a season and hated, a g10 21 degree hybrid, and a 2009 Taylor Made rescue 19 degree hybrid all for $150.

I then went to Dicks and hit about 50 putter, and really gravitated to two Odyssey Putters. Love the fucking XG White Hot #7, and the XG White Ice #9 that is modeled after the putter Mickelson is using...

hopped up on the List...and found a #7...got the guy down to $30. The thing is not the newest model...but probably from five or six years ago...

but fuck...I love the damn thing...

Talk about itching to play...

Yo wrning...no shit...we need to play early Saturday morning...the day of the concert...

Poj, all bullshitting aside... I love my Pings to fucking Death!!! Get yerself some Titleist Pro V1s too. They cost a little more, but they're worth it.

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Watching professional golfers use long putters is like watching an NFL game using a Nerf football.

Word. Why don't you just move the fucking tees up...

Dave's PA Rental
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I've been knocking shit around with a 17-year old set of Lynx Black Cats with fucking gay-ass flare shafts that shuck monster dick (because at some point, the club heads fly off...

Oh yeah, that reminds me...I don't have a 9 iron because the fucking club head came off!

chefcraig
02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Geez, what is up with Mickelson today? He's spraying the ball all over the course, missing fairways and blowing chip shots. Not good.

Fairwrning
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
I am all for some golf concert day..probably getting hotel room this year..so hell yeah..

gbranton
02-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Geez, what is up with Mickelson today? He's spraying the ball all over the course, missing fairways and blowing chip shots. Not good.

He looks like a guy who is just hanging out and waiting to turn 50.

ashstralia
02-04-2012, 02:39 AM
ha! yeah hohey.. 18 holes a week. tuesday me and the boys chuck in $5 winner takes all.. low score on the last wins a buck off everyone... often jackpots to fiddy plus, we sometimes have 10 or 12 in the group.

god i'd love to get over there and swat it around with you fellas.:)

the RA golf nerds :biggrin:
btw, if anyone ever comes to gold coast aus gimme a yell... i'll show ya a good time!

POJO_Risin
02-04-2012, 09:06 AM

His manbreasts are getting in the way, or...he's too busy trying to figure out all his bets for the fucking Super Bowl tomorrow...

POJO_Risin
02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Hitting a serious dose of depression...can't say why yet...but damn...I need a new fucking job that pays more fucking money...

...or I need to sell a kid...;)

Whorehey
02-11-2012, 08:44 PM
TW Chasing Charlie Wi by 4. Bill Murray looks to be in rare form. All my chores done as of 7:45 PM CDT. My ass ain't leaving the couch tomorrow!

Fairwrning
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Phil and Tiger together today...would love to see TW pull it out.

Fairwrning
02-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Leader just double bogied first hole..

Coyote
02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
:biggrin:

chefcraig
02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Damn, it's a shame the wheels fell off of Wood's wagon soon after going into the back nine, because for a while there the Phil/Tiger duel looked to be a barn-burner.

Whorehey
02-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Anyone else catch Nantz say that the last five times
there's been a Woods/Mickelsen pairing in the final round
of a tourney Phil is 5-0? Then Faldo chimes in with if it was
Match Play today Phil would have finished him off 7 and 5
on the 13th hole!

That three-putt par by Woods on 18 was painful to watch.
Reminded me of my four-putt bogey last season.

Think about it...a four-putt bogey.

chefcraig
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I thought we had another good final going on the Champion's Tour between Corey Pavin and Mark Calcavecchia, until the latter pulled a Woods and bogeyed six of his last seven holes. Painful to watch, indeed. Pavin went into a play-off with Peter Senior, and won with a birdie on the first hole of sudden death.

Hell, at one point Pavin hit from the cart path, LEFT-HANDED and knocked the ball within 2 feet of the cup in order to save par! Some days, the Gods, luck or whatever are just with you out there.

gbranton
02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
He'll have to manage the waste that is his game lately.

He is floundering around looking for some answers, I couldn't believe my eyes when he was using that long putter last year.

I have to take back what I said about Phil's game, at least for this week. He played rather well Friday and Sunday.

ashstralia
02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
been a bit busy here boys; my set's in getting all new oversize lamkin grips... woohoo!!!!

chefcraig
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
HOLY CRAP, is anyone else watching this? Mickelson and Bradley both birdie the 18th from over 20 feet each to force a three way, sudden death play off with Bill Haas. Amazing!

ZahZoo
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
That was an amazing finish!!!

When they got to 10... I thought Haas' play was absolute perfection. I was really surprised at how Phil played his 1st shot at 10 in the playoff... really bad choice for an experienced guy like him.

Dave's PA Rental
02-22-2012, 07:10 PM
February 22, Framingham, Massachusetts. 55 degrees. Just played at my local course, Millwood in Framingham. Tried out my new irons. I ended up getting the Adams Idea irons. They were on sale at Dick's for $199. I couldn't pass that up. Anyway, I had one birdie, two pars and a bunch of 6's and 7's. Not too bad for the middle of the winter. I'm still hitting the absolute FUCK out of my driver. I drove the green on a par 4, and on another par 4 hit one close to 300 yards. Fuck yeah!

Whorehey
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Golf Show in Chicago this weekend in Rosemont. Heading there
tomorrow. I'll be the tall guy in the Ping hat. Mrs. Whorehey
just informed me that even after the water heater took
a shit AND we just dumped $1400 into the minivan she
managed to keep 300 off to the side so I can get myself
something nice.

Atta girl. I'm gonna shiw her how much I appreciate it after the
kids go to bed. :winkglasses:

gbranton
02-25-2012, 02:55 PM
February must be the slowest month of the year for golf, my local golf course keep emailing me special deals. I can't find a soul to play with but I may head out solo in the next week or two and see how it goes.

Whorehey
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda Classic this weekend as PGA Tour starts Florida swing.
TW is in the field.

Fairwrning
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I shot a 96 yesterday..still a bit too cool to enjoy out there.

Whorehey
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I shot a 96 yesterday..still a bit too cool to enjoy out there.

How many putts?
Just looked at the calendar. DST ends in two weeks!!!
I'm starting to get the itch...

Fairwrning
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Putting was horid...fast greens..I had two 1 putt holes..all others 2 and 3..no 4 putts.

Whorehey
03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Bubba Watson is smashing it all over Doral today.

chefcraig
03-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Bubba Watson is smashing it all over Doral today.

What a difference a day makes. Sunday, he's smashing it all over, hitting everything but the fairway. Yikes, from holding the outright lead to dropping two behind at the seventh. And he hasn't even gotten to the water holes yet.

Keegan Bradley and Bubba are a great pairing, seeing as they are two of the longest hitters on the tour. But outside of Bradley and Rory, the way these guys are playing today, just about anyone in the top ten has a chance. Johnny Miller can't believe what he is seeing, saying it looked more like a round at the U.S. Open than Doral.

Whorehey
03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
It's that gawd awful looking ping G20. Tiger Woods is DONE.

Thought I heard Miller saying it's a leg. He changed shoes the turn.
First thought he had a blister.

chefcraig
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
It's that gawd awful looking ping G20. Tiger Woods is DONE.

Thought I heard Miller saying it's a leg. He changed shoes the turn.
First thought he had a blister.

Miller also made the astute observation that Tiger just can not get the correct distance with his irons, either. He's been either too short or far too long the whole four days. How can a guy shoot a 62 in the final round last week, then completely lose his short game less a few days later?

Whorehey
03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Tiger Woods is a mess right now. Hank Haney's book
should be a real interesting read. Surprised Tiger didn't
buy his silence.

Little Texan
03-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't write Tiger off just yet. I think he's close to getting it together, and just needs to find some consistency in his game.

Fairwrning
03-11-2012, 06:17 PM
You guys see that TW didnt finish the round?...he was seen driving away in his car..something wrong with leg or foot..switched shoes at the 10th..

ashstralia
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah the news here reported a busted achilles tendon...

Whorehey
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
If he blows off Bay Hill, Arnie's gonna be fucking pissed.
I don't see him playing again until the Masters...

And if his Achilles is fucked up, Augusta National is not the
flattest piece of real estate. He can't compete on it with one
leg like at Torrey.

I would like to see him ditch Sean Foley. TW's full swing as welll
as his putting stroke are a mess. I've seen TW gag more
six footers in the last couple of months than I have watching
his entire career. I also think that 62 he fired at the Honda was the
Golf Gods smiling on him one particular day.

That being said, I hope he can get it together. I absolutely love
having a coffee table full of snacks and drinks on a Sunday afternoon
watcjing him destroy a field.

chefcraig
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
If he blows off Bay Hill, Arnie's gonna be fucking pissed.
I don't see him playing again until the Masters...

And if his Achilles is fucked up, Augusta National is not the
flattest piece of real estate. He can't compete on it with one
leg like at Torrey.

Judging by the occasional commentary offered by both Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, the older guys are already pretty much disappointed with Tiger. The whole "I only play majors" thing disgruntled not only them, but just about everybody else out there, guys who were grinding it out week to week to pay off their condos. Yeah, Woods was a terrific spectacle to witness in his prime, but let's face it: As a human being, he was somewhat, if not far less than perfect. OK, I'm no better when it comes to morality or judgement, but by the same token, I'm not going through life making a living in the public eye by flaunting my greatness of skill while thumbing my nose to those with lesser abilities. And don't get me started on his sham-marriage. Why even bother getting engaged if you plan on continually banging anything and everything that catches your eye, let alone smiles at you?

Seriously folks, the guy is a walking shithead, and no amount of talent is going to change that. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/leisures-and-sports/golf-050.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

ashstralia
03-16-2012, 07:35 AM
can't argue with ya craig.

aussies are renowned for allowing our sporting champs a certain amount of leeway with regards to their shenanigans...

but he's turned into the yngwie of golf. unlikeable much??? :dickhead:

chefcraig
03-16-2012, 02:05 PM
can't argue with ya craig.

aussies are renowned for allowing our sporting champs a certain amount of leeway with regards to their shenanigans...

The thing is ash, a bit of humility goes a very long way. Take for instance your fellow countryman Craig Parry. This is a guy that was so hungover on an opening Thursday at Doral a few years ago, he overslept and just about missed his tee time. He splashed some water on his face, hastily got dressed in the first clothes he could find in his bag, paid some kid to get a golf cart, then drive him to the first hole. He not only hung around for the cut, but went on to win the tournament with one of the most remarkable final shots ever seen. There wasn't a person watching that didn't instantly feel for the guy, let alone becoming a fan of him in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4PFM2Z2TMs

ashstralia
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
i remember that. wow!

ashstralia
03-17-2012, 05:34 AM
btw popeye is a great bloke, by all reports. :)

gbranton
03-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Seriously folks, the guy is a walking shithead, and no amount of talent is going to change that. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/leisures-and-sports/golf-050.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

I can't stand him, it wouldn't bother me if his fucking leg fell off.

ashstralia
03-18-2012, 04:30 AM
go rory.

let's see golf at a new level, the same game of course, but with a new generation of players using soa equipment.

the wind'll still blow, it'll rain on sunday, 12 under will win easily.

bring on the masters!!!

Fairwrning
03-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Tee time is 1: 30..if the rain holds off..shot a 92 last weekend..getting better

ashstralia
03-19-2012, 08:08 AM
good onya fw... you'll be in the 80's soon enough.

Fairwrning
03-19-2012, 12:35 PM
good onya fw... you'll be in the 80's soon enough.

Dropped to a 94 yesterday..played 27 holes it was so nice out...the 94 was for 18..gotta make putts..bottom line

gbranton
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
And now the devestatingly boring Luke Donald is number one again, the thing about him is the he reall........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Whorehey
03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Dropped to a 94 yesterday..played 27 holes it was so nice out...the 94 was for 18..gotta make putts..bottom line
Dude, sounds like my problem. I either need to start
leaving myself with shorter putts, or I need to drop a long
one once in a while. I think it's my bifocals. Couldn't read a green
to save my life last year after I started wearing them.
Started a new job in Jan. Five more weeks until they turn on the
insurance and I can get a decent eye exam. Then I'll
find something else to blame for my putting woes.

Whorehey
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Whisper Creek Sunday morning! I'll be the tall guy
with the Ping cap on. First time out this season.
While Mrs. Whorehey and the little Whoreheys are
sitting in a pew, I'll be chasing Titleists with my buddies!

Fairwrning
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Enjoy..1:18 for me Sunday

Nitro Express
03-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Whorehey
03-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Gave my Pings a much needed bath today, grips and heads. Cleaned out my bag. Found a fresh pack of Marlboros, a bottle of orange Mountain Dew, and a Vicodin.
Ditched two scuzzy-ass gloves and replaced them with new ones. Washed towels. Stocked up on pegs and ammo. Threw a couple Montecristos in the bag.
Ready to rock tomorow morning!

Whorehey
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Should be +2 thru 7, except for the pair of snowmen amd the German.
The first Monte is smoking awesome though.

Whorehey
03-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Make that three snowmen thru 9. 54. I suck today.

Fairwrning
03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I got rained out..watching Tiger today..good to see him playing well..3 shot lead now..

Whorehey
03-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I got rained out..watching Tiger today..good to see him playing well..3 shot lead now..

Sorry to hear it FW. No worries, I took enough swipes at
it for both of us. My hetero life-mate shot 81, so he
wasn't as much of an insufferable prick today.

All in all a good day. I had nothing out there, though.
62 hours this week standing in front of a machine.
Up at 3 AM with a sick dog, then got a tap on the shoulder
from Mrs. Whorehey :clock:

Whorehey
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Hope Arnie's okay...

Whorehey
03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
The Masters is next week. Who do you like and why?

Personally I'd like to see Rory get another shot at it.
I almost felt sorry for the kid watching him fall apart
last year.

ashstralia
04-04-2012, 12:28 AM
i'll have to go local, jason day or adam scott. god i love this time of year!!!

our greens just got cored seeded and sanded, lots of people whining about it. i just remind them how spectacularly good they'll be in 6 weeks or so.

i played at a party on the w/end, our head greenkeeper was there and we had a good laugh about it.

Fairwrning
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Im gonna say Steve Stricker...Dude plays well in majors..

Whorehey
04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Congrats to Paddy Harrington and Johnathan Byrd
for winning the rain-shortened Par-3 Contest. And ensuring
they will NOT be slipping a Green Jacket on this Sunday
evening.

Yes Ash my friend, this is an awesome time of year.
Each of us in my regular foursome host a party during The Masters.
Playing on Saturday morning. I'm hosting on Sunday. Catering by
Portillo's. Beef sandwiches and salads. Mrs. Whorehey and the
little Whoreheys going to her mum's for Mass and Easter Brunch.

I asked Mrs. Whorehey to consider lifting the drinking ban...
We'll see what happens. Sam Adams and Jack Daniels, or Mountain Dew
and Norco. Either way I win!!!

ashstralia
04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
excellent! i'll be up and posting at 5 am our time. :)

gbranton
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Im gonna say Steve Stricker...Dude plays well in majors..

He's been battling injuries. I'm gonna go woth Rory.

The telecast has been on for five minutes now and I wish Mike Torico would just go ahead and fellate Tiger Woods and get it over with. He managed to get out four words ("At The Masters and.....") before he started blurting out Tiger's name over and over. I really wish he would double about seven holes in a row, starting now.

chefcraig
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
The telecast has been on for five minutes now and I wish Mike Torico would just go ahead and fellate Tiger Woods and get it over with. He managed to get out four words ("At The Masters and.....") before he started blurting out Tiger's name over and over. I really wish he would double about seven holes in a row, starting now.

You nailed it, as the same thought was occurring to me. Hell, anyone could win this tournament, but Tirico would lead with Tiger coming in tied for sixth.

Man, the rainy conditions yesterday really softened up the greens. The leaders are carpet bombing the hell out of them, and I've never seen so many highlights in an opening round clips package before.

gbranton
04-05-2012, 03:44 PM
You nailed it, as the same thought was occurring to me. Hell, anyone could win this tournament, but Tirico would lead with Tiger coming in tied for sixth.

Man, the rainy conditions yesterday really softened up the greens. The leaders are carpet bombing the hell out of them, and I've never seen so many highlights in an opening round clips package before.

It's ok, Tiger is on the last hole now, maybe he will play it like Henrik Stensen did (Yikes!), the rest of the day will be relatively Tiger-free once they show his interview, his press conference, the highlights of his shower (maybe with Tirico), him getting in his car and of course following his car with a helicopter until he loses them, all while there is still golf being played by the best golfers in the world.

Nitro Express
04-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Tiger is on the last hole now

Fucking the last whore for the day is he?:doggystyle:

chefcraig
04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Man, the scoring sure took off in the later rounds. Thankfully, this moved Woods off the front page of the leader board and dropped him into a tie for 30th.

Whorehey
04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Phil...You're killing me with your wayward tee shots.
Did Luke Donald get DQ'd?

chefcraig
04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Phil...You're killing me with your wayward tee shots.

Ya know who is killing me? Bubba Watson. Every time he swings that stupid looking orange driver, it's an adventure and you never know where the hell the ball is going.

Did Luke Donald get DQ'd?

Nah, the error really wasn't his fault.

Luke Donald avoids disqualification

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7780344/masters-2012-luke-donald-almost-disqualified-fax-machine-smudge)

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Luke Donald avoided disqualification from the Masters on Thursday when it was determined his first-round score was improperly entered in the tournament's scoring system because a fax machine produced a smudged number.

Donald, the No. 1-ranked player in the world, shot 75 in the opening round at Augusta National, but tournament scoreboards had him for a 73 because his score was improperly read after it had been faxed to those recording the scores.

Had Donald really signed for a 73 when shooting a 75, he would have been disqualified. The error occurred at the par-4 fifth hole, where Donald three-putted for a bogey 5 and acknowledged as much after the round. But the score went down as a 3 in the scoring system because officials read it as a 3 -- not the 5 that Donald told them was written on the card.

Donald was not available for comment after the scorecard issue came to light. Augusta National officials described it as an "administrative error.''

His wife, Diane, tweeted: "Just got off the phone with Luke. NOT disqualified. Thanks goodness.''

One of the pre-tournament favorites, Donald, 34, struggled to a front-nine 38 and then managed just one birdie on the back nine. He trails leader Lee Westwood by eight strokes.

"This place ... you know if you are a little off, it can eat you up,'' said Donald, who won the Transitions Championship three weeks ago, before the scorecard problem came to light. "My preparation has been as good as it's ever been. I almost wanted to start on the weekend because I was hitting it so nicely. Maybe I peaked a couple of days early. Hopefully, I will find something on the range and go low tomorrow.''

Donald won four times around the world in 2011 and won the money titles on both the PGA Tour and European Tour.

Augusta National was involved in perhaps the game's most famous scorecard mishap. Following the 1968 Masters, Argentina's Roberto De Vicenzo was made to take a 4 on the 17th hole during the final round. He actually had made a birdie 3 at the hole, which would have been a playoff the next day with Bob Goalby.

But because De Vicenzo had signed for a higher scorer -- the 4 was mistakenly marked on his card by player Tommy Aaron -- he was required to take it. That meant missing a playoff by a stroke. If you sign for a score lower than you shot, the penalty is disqualification.

gbranton
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Ya know who is killing me? Bubba Watson. Every time he swings that stupid looking orange driver, it's an adventure and you never know where the hell the ball is going.

Ever give any thought to the notion you MIGHT be color blind? Bubba's driver is pink.

Bubba grew up right down the road from where I grew up, along with Boo Weekly and Heath Slocumb. I used to cheer for each of them anytime I got the chance. When Bubba bought the General Lee, I figured anyone who did something like that had to be an ok guy in my book, then I saw him of "Feherty" a few nights ago, now I'm not so sure about Bubba..... He seemed really unusual to me, not very easygoing. He was very quick (even interrupting a question) to point out that he would not allow ANY alcohol in his house under any circumstances, like the mere mention of alcohol upset him. That, along with his talk about religion gives me the impression that he is a closed minded, intolerant individual and if I lived next door he would think I am scum because I like a little rock n roll, mixed with a few adult beverages and some adult activities out by the pool in the summer.

chefcraig
04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Ever give any thought to the notion you MIGHT be color blind? Bubba's driver is pink.

Bubba grew up right down the road from where I grew up, along with Boo Weekly and Heath Slocumb. I used to cheer for each of them anytime I got the chance. When Bubba bought the General Lee, I figured anyone who did something like that had to be an ok guy in my book, then I saw him of "Feherty" a few nights ago, now I'm not so sure about Bubba..... He seemed really unusual to me, not very easygoing. He was very quick (even interrupting a question) to point out that he would not allow ANY alcohol in his house under any circumstances, like the mere mention of alcohol upset him. That, along with his talk about religion gives me the impression that he is a closed minded, intolerant individual and if I lived next door he would think I am scum because I like a little rock n roll, mixed with a few adult beverages and some adult activities out by the pool in the summer.

Are you being serious, it is pink? We have a tv with a fourteen inch screen here at work, that also plays DVDs. It's hard to make out much detail from across the room, but it's kinda hard eating your lunch while standing right in front of the darned thing. I'm amazed the city allowed us to even have cable, for that matter. Thanks for the head's-up.

Isn't that Feherty show terrific? I have yet to tune into it and be bored, and the guy is refreshingly, brutally honest about his own failures, his drinking and bipolar issues. Absolutely "must see" tv, right there.

But I really don't know exactly what to make of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2NocuEihw

gbranton
04-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Are you being serious, it is pink? We have a tv with a fourteen inch screen here at work, that also plays DVDs. It's hard to make out much detail from across the room, but it's kinda hard eating your lunch while standing right in front of the darned thing. I'm amazed the city allowed us to even have cable, for that matter. Thanks for the head's-up.

Isn't that Feherty show terrific? I have yet to tune into it and be bored, and the guy is refreshingly, brutally honest about his own failures, his drinking and bipolar issues. Absolutely "must see" tv, right there.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Y_OZm4A7EZGgZ7msc14FOQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusgolfexperts/Bubba-Driver-US-Presswire.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/bubba-watson-pink-headed-driver-185748113.html

I enjoy Feherty most of the time, he gets the people I want to find out more about that you won't see anywhere else. His interviewing skills are getting better, he's not interrupting people as much this season, letting the show be about them and not him, all that remains now is to tone down the emphasis on his scrotum.

chefcraig
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Too cool, Freddy Couples' name is at the top of the leader board! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-jumping-smileys-595.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

gbranton
04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Too cool, Freddy Couples' name is at the top of the leader board! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-jumping-smileys-595.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

Love Fred. It would be amazing to see him win it.

chefcraig
04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Man, Woods is having a complete collapse and meltdown. He just threw a club to the ground, then kicked it. The announcers (including Feherty) are at a loss to explain what is taking place. Epically brutal.

gbranton
04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Man, Woods is having a complete collapse and meltdown........Epically brutal.

Love it. :D

Whorehey
04-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Going off in two hours, and it's 30 fucking degrees out.
Fahrenheit, Ash. :)
This promises to suck.
Hey, it's Moving Day!!!

Whorehey
04-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Knocked 11 shots off my score from last week.
AT@T Uverse coverage absolutely rocks!!!
No commercials, 6 channels of coverage, and my buddy
has laid out an awesome spread. Not to mention his fiancee
is real easy on the eyes. ;)

ashstralia
04-08-2012, 05:04 AM
you a lucky man! i know a little joint upstairs; in the back, where we can sweat it out and laugh...

seriously boys and girls, i'm looking forward to an epic sunday arvo (monday morning our time)

stay rothy :biggrin:

chefcraig
04-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Holy cow! Louis Oosthuizen just knocked in a double eagle on the second hole to go to 10 under. I've never seen one in my life while watching the Masters.

Fairwrning
04-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Holy cow! Louis Oosthuizen just knocked in a double eagle on the second hole to go to 10 under. I've never seen one in my life while watching the Masters.

Just turned it on and saw the replay..wow

Fairwrning
04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Meanwhile Phil bounces a drive off the grandstand..

Fairwrning
04-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Amazing watching these guys read greens.