PDA

View Full Version : Neu 2 U

Kristy
03-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Not again:

http://www.atu2.com/newalbum/

Then again, they don't annoy me as half as much as they used to. In fact, their fan base annoys me more. Even some 30+ years they have aged gracefully which can't be said most acts who have lasted as long as they have. So a new album in early May? I'll give it a listen.

binnie
03-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, they must be doing something right. Not sure I know what it is though.

To me, since the mid-90s it's been a steady slide into banality for U2. Coasting is the word that comes to mind.

This album - and the inevitable world tour - will sell by the bucket load, however.

Kristy
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
They're still making up for their last tour come April. I should know, I'm going to see them in April (don't ask). Seems new album rumors are true in that Bono was in New York last week standing on the corner handing out copies to passers by. Also appears they're have something out sooner as a "Digital Download" only for relief efforts in Japan.

binnie
03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
They're still making up for their last tour come April. I should know, I'm going to see them in April (don't ask)..

I'm guessing that this is date no. 2 with the guy who proposed to you on date no. 1. :D

Was it Bono? The Edge? It was The Edge, wasn't it? The hat did it for you :D

Seriously though, what impress me about U2 is that they can still be bothered. More money than God, accolades coming out of there assess and they've played in every country that has electricity - that they keep going must be a testament to how much they enjoy playing. I give them begrudging respect for that at least.

Kristy
03-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm guessing that this is date no. 2 with the guy who proposed to you on date no. 1. :D

Was it Bono? The Edge? It was The Edge, wasn't it? The hat did it for you :D

No, was a guy I used to work with at a music instrument store while I was in college (my ex-boss). He's married but his wife hates U2 so he asked me last fall or whenever it was they were supposed to come here before canceling what was left of the 'No Line' tour. For some reason he thinks I like them. But I've seen them play before and they don't put on a bad show.

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Well, they must be doing something right. Not sure I know what it is though.

To me, since the mid-90s it's been a steady slide into banality for U2. Coasting is the word that comes to mind.

This album - and the inevitable world tour - will sell by the bucket load, however.

Agreed. You get roughly two-three halfway decent songs per album, at best. And that No Line on the Horizon from a couple of years ago was nothing short of ghastly. To tell ya the truth, I pretty much lost interest sometime shortly after Rattle & Hum, and although I've heard them all, the only album I've bought by them since was the ...Atomic Bomb CD from seven or eight years ago.

sadaist
03-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Do we call early U2 'Classic'? I actually like their early stuff. They just got way too big, trendy, and electricized for me. Last I saw them was on the ZOO TV tour. WTF that was some weird shit. I imagine it like a large scale Thomas Dolby concert. I just wanted the raw band 4 dudes on stage vibe. Their presence was overshadowed by all the gadgets, signs, lights, digital flashes, etc....

Kristy
03-24-2011, 09:34 PM
That's pretty much how they handle themselves these days. Very little stage theatrics, something of a light show but mostly they walk on stage, lights come on, they play and leave stage, lights go off. They dismantled all their trendy thrills. I was more surprised having Rush play in 2006 where that was one of the most elaborate light shows I've ever seen. And what was with the washing machines?

FORD
03-25-2011, 02:57 AM
I think U2 should redo some of their really old stuff on their next album. Gotta wonder what "Street Mission" would sound like today.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe6VtCRTvsU

FORD
03-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Or "Jack In The Box", for that matter.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwrJi09vWDg

FORD
03-25-2011, 03:07 AM
And I always thought this song deserved a proper release.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCI29bx5vXY

GreenBayLA
03-25-2011, 05:50 AM
POP is my fave CD of theirs, not the best mind you but my fave. I call it reckno (rock n techno).

sadaist
03-25-2011, 08:43 AM
That's pretty much how they handle themselves these days. Very little stage theatrics, something of a light show but mostly they walk on stage, lights come on, they play and leave stage, lights go off. They dismantled all their trendy thrills.

Hmmm....Makes me consider going to see them next time around. It's just last time I saw them you almost forgot there were even 4 guys on the stage...what with all the bullshit electric chaos going on around them. But if they have simplified & stripped the show down to mostly about the music, I'd dig that.

ELVIS
03-25-2011, 11:55 AM
U2 sucks...

binnie
03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Even the '80s stuff?

ELVIS
03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it's tired and lame...

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Our guitar player can sing like Bono and play like The Edge. We stick to the Joshua Tree era songs and before that. To be honest, I'm tired of playing the shit but the audience likes it.

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
That's pretty much how they handle themselves these days. Very little stage theatrics, something of a light show but mostly they walk on stage, lights come on, they play and leave stage, lights go off. They dismantled all their trendy thrills. I was more surprised having Rush play in 2006 where that was one of the most elaborate light shows I've ever seen. And what was with the washing machines?

The washing machines are a joke. Geddy Lee doesn't use amps and cabs anymore. He runs his bass into a small box called a SansAmp and runs a direct line to the mixing console. So he has no back line anymore but Alex has all his amps and cabs still. So Geddy put in commercial dryers, so he has something.

This is pretty much what Geddy is using. A little black box.

FORD
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
U2 sucks...

Jesus loves U2. Why don't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f96YN6ajcDo

Kristy
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM
U2 sucks...

Wow. Just wow. How deep and profound (just like all of your posts) Will you do society a favor and up and die already?

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah I always preferred the SR-71 over the goofy U2.

ELVIS
03-25-2011, 02:16 PM
How do you up and die ??

FORD
03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
How do you up and die ??

Last time I saw that phrase was in the lyrics of a Christian blues song by the Resurrection Band......

You can have your fortune, oh, you can keep your fame,
Dope and sex ain’t lasting; money is just the same,
Oh, you might worship music and you might did the blues,
What will you be doing when Jesus comes for you?
Well, I used to dig religion, but somehow the false prophets up and died,
Well, I used to dig my doping ‘til my brains up and fried – oh, yes I did,
Well, I used to worship knowledge; well, I thought it would set me free,
But I found Jesus’ love is quite enough for me.

binnie
03-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it's tired and lame...

It wasn't tired at the time though, was it? If it's suffered from being overplayed since, that's hardly their fault.

U2 were never as revolutionary as some would think (they were heavily indebted to The Cure to my ears), but some of those '80s albums (even though not to my taste) were important and such a contrast with the reverb heavy, ultra slick 'look at me' rock of the time.

Diamondjimi
03-25-2011, 04:35 PM
U2 has about 10 songs out of their 30 years of recording that I can tolerate.
Bono is about as tolerable as that other narcissistic twat, Sting. Although I have developed a lot of respect for The Edge (Dave Evans) over the years..

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Bono is about as tolerable as that other narcissistic twat, Sting.
:baaa:One is Jesus Christ wearing blue glasses and the other one thinks his music makes wine taste better.

Diamondjimi
03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
:lol:

FORD
03-25-2011, 04:52 PM
It wasn't tired at the time though, was it? If it's suffered from being overplayed since, that's hardly their fault.

U2 were never as revolutionary as some would think (they were heavily indebted to The Cure to my ears), but some of those '80s albums (even though not to my taste) were important and such a contrast with the reverb heavy, ultra slick 'look at me' rock of the time.

It's funny that U2 never acknowledged The Cure as influences, but I too can hear it in their earliest material, like the stuff I posted above. Of course both bands released their first records in 1979, so it would be a question of how this little band who had never left Dublin up until that point actually heard The Cure before then.

They DID claim Joy Division as an influence, but I never thought U2 sounded like them at all. Go figure.....

FORD
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
:baaa:One is Jesus Christ wearing blue glasses and the other one things his music makes wine taste better.

If Bono was Jesus, he wouldn't need Sting' s wine, since he would be able to make his own. Or being Irish, more likely his own Guinness :gulp:

binnie
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
They DID claim Joy Division as an influence, but I never thought U2 sounded like them at all. Go figure.....

That always surprised me too. I think it has more to do with the fact that Joy Division were such a cool cult band that everyone thought it was the 'in thing' to say they were influenced by them.

FORD
03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQWnbfFB6o

Wish there was a better quality version of this out there, but I guess it's a decent cover.....

VAiN
03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
last fall or whenever it was they were supposed to come here before canceling what was left of the 'No Line' tour. For some reason he thinks I like them. But I've seen them play before and they don't put on a bad show.

I have a couple of good friends in Denver that are going, and my roommate will be flying up for the show as well. They're big fans, have awesome seats and are trying to get me to go up and catch it as well... I wouldn't mind seeing U2, but I just don't love a stadium show.

With that said, I do feel that Bono has not been trying very hard the last few albums....

Anonymous
03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
U2 sucks...

I don't normally agree with Elvis, since he's a frustrated, self-righteous little closet faggot with a fetish for old, limp dick, who believes he'll have a better life when he dies, but he's right, you know?

Bono is the most hypocrite, intolerable "musician" to ever grace Gawd's green Earth. Even "I'm-impotent-but-I'll-claim-I-can-shag-for-twelve-hours" Sting can't hold a candle to Bono Cox's extreme cuntyness.

He should be severely slapped every day just for being who he is.

And Bono & Sting can go fuck themselves for twelve hours with a picture of South Africa as a background.

Cheers! :bottle:

Kristy
03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Bono a lot more tolerable now then has has been in the past. Even though he can get one one's nerves he has done a lot for those living in abject poverty, raising money for those suffering with AIDS in Africa and has fought for human rights. So until one of you d-bags does that try not to bash the guy too hard.

Anonymous
03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
He's done nothing. All that bullshit is just to boost record sales, but the minute he has to put his hand in his pocket to fish out a pony, he's gone.

Remember that time he urged 1st world nations to use their taxes to help 3rd world famine? And that other time after that when UK passed a bill where artists would have their taxes raised & he moved somewhere else?

Can you spell hypocrite piece of shit cuntish troll?

By the way, you're looking way too thin there, Kristy. You really need to put on a little meat, girl. Well, I'd say a lot, but that's just because I like a lot of everything.

Kristy
03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
It's my work ID photo. They charged me $15 for a new because this one showed "too much skin" which I purposefully did as a bit of a protest. If anything, I look too ghostly due to that high energized flash. The glasses are bit much - $33 Christian Dior knock offs; I tell everyone I paid $1,100 for them and most actually believe me. I'm not that thin or maybe I am if they say the camera adds pounds.

Anyway, you're wrong about Bono. And I never thought I'd ever defend the guy but he has done a lot for humanitarian causes.

Anonymous
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Fer the lurve of Gawd, woman, I can see the bones in your neck. Eat, please. A man may look at super-models, but at the end of the day, there's nothing like soft, warm, yielding flesh to hold on to.

I suppose that indirectly, trying to boost his album sales, all his bullshit talk did help somewhat in the end. I do realize that. It's just that I question his motivations.

The way I see it, I don't really want him to stop being a hypocrite for the cameras, I just wish that people who're gullible enuff to believe him to donate that money instead of spending it on am overpriced piece coaster with U2 labeled on it.

Am I making any sense here?

Kristy
03-25-2011, 09:05 PM
It is that obvious in a photo? Odd though, many have been saying I'm looking too thin but I tend to disagree. Either too much yoga or going back to practicing Tang Soo Do (and hope I don't blow my knee out) to relive stress but diet is the same. I definitely don't have much in the way of anything to hold on to. That I can agree with.

Bono never did any humanitarian causes for sales. Why would he need to? He is already a household name, their records already sell by millions with or without promotion and he really doesn't need the money. If anything, his ego is what gets me. The guys has always been in love with himself which makes him a bit of a pest. Don't think he really has any hidden motivations for what he does.

Anonymous
03-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, I have yet to meet a woman who thinks she's too thin.

For some reason, you girls always believe you're too fat, even if you're down to 25 lbs.

That is, until you get married! :lol:

Guitar Shark
03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Great to see you back, Imapus!

Unless you never left. In that case, ignore my pointless ramblings.

For whatever reason, it seems like I haven't seen one of your posts in a while.

I am officially indifferent on the subject of U2.

Kristy
03-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Isn't everyone? And I started this god damn thread.

Anonymous
03-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Great to see you back, Imapus!

Unless you never left. In that case, ignore my pointless ramblings.

For whatever reason, it seems like I haven't seen one of your posts in a while.

Thank you, counselor.

Yeah, I've kinda been sorta away. I was getting tired of the same smoky atmosphere & the awful, stained wallpaper of this joint. Therefore, I joined a LGBT parade just fer the lulz & arm wrestled a gang of bikers afterwards. After a couple of months in Indonesia, on the Northwest side of Brazil, I started to miss the place & came back, paler than ever & with added 50 pounds, unfortunately not in my pocket.

As Confucius once said "'Tis better, I say, old chap, 'tis better to be half missed than to not be missed at all, jolly good, eh what?"

I lost every arm wrestle match, by the way.