X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Rolling Stones At Hyde Park.....July 5, 1969

Just got this DVD from a friend. Incomplete set, for one thing.

Interesting to see this.....2 days after Brian Jones was murdered.
    Interesting to see 150,000 people from "Swinging London".

Keef was playing an immaculate '58-'59 Korina Flying V.....

Mick Taylor's first live performance with them.....

And then....Satisfaction.....good GAWD! One of the guitarist's guitars gets HORRIBLY out of tune in an instant.....and the butchered, out-of-tune crappy-sounding Satisfaction riff just goes on and on and on.....finally, the guitarist (I can't tell which one was out of tune, as the camera angles were not really focused on their hands very much) stops playing that fucking rubbish and plays the riff on one of the higher strings.....by that point I was so annoyed I just turned it off.

A sea of fucking people, and the PA system was this tiny piece of shit.....the Stones were there on this tiny little fucking stage.....how primitive.....

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Historical gig, being that it was Brian's "memorial" and the Stones first live performance with Mick Taylor. But definitely NOT their best performance. They were playing way too slow for one thing. It's true that they hadn't been on the road for a while, and were breaking in a new guitarist, but Charlie must have been half asleep or something with the slow tempo.

Obviously they did far better as the 1969 tour moved on (except for that whole Altamont fiasco). Just for history's sake though, I really hope the complete Hyde Park show surfaces some day. There's gotta be a complete film somewhere.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I can't really tell which guitarist was out of tune either..... truth is, I think it was BOTH

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

I've been happy with my video tape for over 20 years.

They say around 500,000 people were there in Hyde Park that day.
        Between that figure and Hardrock's 150,000, the actual number might have been 300,000?
        It was a free concert though.

They played rather slowly, that's right... Charlie and Keith were probably on white horse, maybe Mick was as well...
        Anyway, the whole film looks and sounds overloaded with... substances...

The performances that were caught in November and December were much better, thicker...
        Like what you can hear on "Get yer ya-ya's out", especially "Midnight Rambler", one of their top 5 tunes ever, and certainly their best blues song IMO.

You can get the whole (audio) Hyde Park show here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B8ICAZ6Z
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Comment

• ODShowtime
            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Breaking news! Mick Jagger is old! Thanks for the tip asshole!
            gnaw on it

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
              And then....Satisfaction.....good GAWD! One of the guitarist's guitars gets HORRIBLY out of tune in an instant.....and the butchered, out-of-tune crappy-sounding Satisfaction riff just goes on and on and on.....finally, the guitarist (I can't tell which one was out of tune, as the camera angles were not really focused on their hands very much) stops playing that fucking rubbish and plays the riff on one of the higher strings.....by that point I was so annoyed I just turned it off.

A sea of fucking people, and the PA system was this tiny piece of shit.....the Stones were there on this tiny little fucking stage.....how primitive.....
              Originally posted by FORD
              Historical gig, being that it was Brian's "memorial" and the Stones first live performance with Mick Taylor. But definitely NOT their best performance. They were playing way too slow for one thing. It's true that they hadn't been on the road for a while, and were breaking in a new guitarist, but Charlie must have been half asleep or something with the slow tempo.
              There are a few things worth considering for this performance. For one, the group sounds terribly under rehearsed, and having a greenhorn in the band just complicates things further. At that time, fold-back monitors had not been perfected as they are today, so it is entirely possible the individual players couldn't even hear each other, although they were in close proximity. This would explain some of the tentativeness, as well as the tempos being all over the map. (If you listen closely, "HTW" speeds up, just like the record. "Satisfaction" on the other hand...) In a case like this, Watts and Richards would establish the tempo, and the others would take visual clues from this. The problem with this being, more than likely everyone was stoned immaculate, which further hamper onstage communication. Finally, the sound of the recording just plain stinks. Is Bill Wyman's bass even plugged in?

The far more exceptional thing to take away from this has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones. A careful examination of the "Satisfaction" clip (from about 1:34-1:42) reveals with startling clarity the fact that Joey Ramone somehow conquered the mysteries of quantum physics and achieved the ability to time travel back from some ten years in the future in order to attend the show!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

fucker's so fat that when he looks down he can't see ELVIS swinging from his nutsack.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Too many Swedish meatballs.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Mick looked old when I saw him in 1982. Now he looks like something that crawled out of a crypt. Maybe the Rolling Stones are zombies?
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

fucker's so fat that when he looks down he can't see ELVIS swinging from his nutsack.
                      It looks like he 'unleashed the fookin' fury' alright.....on the scale!

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        Too many Swedish meatballs.
                        I heard Yingyang is a frequent visitor to IKEA. It's not that he buys a lot of furniture there or anything.... he's just willing to spend hours walking through the entire menagerie just to get to the meatballs at the cafeteria in the middle of the store.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Keep that fookin fury out of the Stones threads!

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Apparently this clip is a "bonus track" on some editions of the Hyde Park DVD (not part of the original release)
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...