PDA

View Full Version : AG Eric Holder the Tax Cheat

BigBadBrian
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
LINK (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/holder_tax_lax_ZLrjDOZehZHon7fDakSwTL)
US Attorney General Eric Holder and his brother failed to pay the property taxes on their childhood home in Queens, which they inherited last August after their mother died, The Post has learned.

And because their ailing mom, Miriam, was already behind on two quarterly tax bills when she succumbed to illness on Aug. 13, the charges went unpaid for more than a year -- growing to $4,146.

It wasn't until The Post confronted Holder last week about the delinquency that he and younger brother William Holder finally paid up Friday, including $73.14 in interest.

The siblings "weren't aware of the initial missed payments, which happened in the last months of their mother's life when she was battling illness," said a Holder spokesman.

The subsequent unpaid bills "occurred during a time period in which the disposition of the estate is still being resolved," said Department of Justice spokesman Matthew Miller.

The two-story attached brick home on 101st Street, which sits on a corner lot in the middle-class neighborhood of East Elmhurst, has remained empty since Miriam Holder's death, a neighbor told The Post. The home has a market value of $417,000, according to city records.

Holder's father, Eric Sr., an immigrant from Barbados and a US World War II veteran, purchased the house in 1952, when Eric was just over a year old. After her husband's death in 1998, Miriam became the sole owner of the property, although the tax bills in the name of "E. Holder" continued, said a spokesman for the city Department of Finance.

Eric, 60, who became the nation's first African-American attorney general in 2009, still speaks fondly of his boyhood home, and of growing up in a neighborhood that was a center for black artists and intellectuals. Jazz legends Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie lived there, and civil-rights leader Malcolm X was a neighbor.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/holder_tax_lax_ZLrjDOZehZHon7fDakSwTL#ixzz1JyHW4U0 0

ELVIS
04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
He paid the bill and the estate is still being resolved...

That's hardly being a tax cheat...

BigBadBrian
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
He paid the bill and the estate is still being resolved...

That's hardly being a tax cheat...

He tried to get away with it. Taxes should've been settled when the estate was transferred. It's a good thing you're a nurse and not a financier.

ELVIS
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
There's no proof he tried to get away with that...

BigBadBrian
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
It was 8 months ago....

He just now got caught...

He's an ATTORNEY (pretty much says he's a thief right there...almost) who should know the tax code....

If he doesn't, he has no business enforcing the laws of the US (like Black Panthers blocking certain races from voting)....

Wake the fuck up, Elvis!

ELVIS
04-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Being an attorney does not mean you're a tax expert...

chefcraig
04-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Three reasons why this attempt holds water like a cheese grater...

#1. This story originates from the New York Post, putting it ahead of the Weekly World News and just behind the National Enquirer on the credibility scale.
#2. The story's original headline is "Holder's 4G tax lax - Snafu in ma's Queens estate", not "AG Eric Holder the Tax Cheat" as claimed in the thread title. If you are going to quote a story and provide a link to it, at least use the original headline instead of creating one in order to manipulate the facts, particularly when:
#3. The facts of the story do not support the headline that was invented. A simple glance at the report reveals the situation as being murky after the matriarch's death. Furthermore, if someone is labeled as a "tax-cheat", wouldn't they need first to be convicted of such a crime? The story makes no reference to any sort of prosecution taking place.

Kristy
04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
He tried to get away with it. Taxes should've been settled when the estate was transferred. It's a good thing you're a nurse and not a financier.

And I guess it's still a good thing that you're still a mama's boy and not a man.

Nitro Express
04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Being an attorney does not mean you're a tax expert...

Nobody is a tax expert. I've had a good run around with the IRS and so called tax professionals regarding some new filing procedures required for a non-profit organization that I am a local administrator for. What I learned is one piece of the IRS does something and the other pieces don't have a clue. I was getting nowhere over the phone with them and decided to contact the local IRS office. I dealt with actually some nice but frustrated government employees who were as clueless. My accountant who puts in a great deal of time studying changes in the tax code was no help.

All I learned from the experience is the crazy ballooning and compartmentalization of the federal government just wastes people's time, energy, and money. I also learned that a Canadian security company was awarded an IRS contract and many American IRS employees are now worried about losing their jobs. So the IRS is outsourcing as well. No job is secure anymore.

hambon4lif
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
And I guess it's still a good thing that you're still a mama's boy and not a man.I wouldn't consider that a 'good thing'.

If little Brie really believes in the mindless bullshit he posts, when he finally decides to let go of mommys apron strings, the ways of the real world are going to scare him half to death.

It's tragic, really.

Nitro Express
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM

It can take years to transfer an estate. I can attest in the state of California it takes years and their probate system is a real racket. Meanwhile the county wants it's property taxes while the battle between who owns what between the state goes onward.

FORD
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm no fan of Eric Holder, but this is a typical bullshit smear from Rupert Murdoch Inc. I'd love to see Holder gone and replaced by Elliot Spitzer, but it's not going to be because of this non-story.