• VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Good article: 'The Ugly and Unlistenable Death Spiral of Eddie Van Halen'

LINK

I thought this was pretty good...
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.
  • SunisinuS
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • May 2010

See I don't get this guy. It is why failed English Majors become Journalism Majors. It's for the cameras and an easy way out.

Unchained

You hit the ground running,

change:

Nothing stays the same.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-03-2011, 11:42 PM. Reason: That guy is not here for the music.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• fifth element
      Commando
      • Nov 2010

nothing stays the same.....

very true...
      so have fun w/ the changes.
      “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Never live long enough to destroy your legacy.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

I checked the link but where is the good article?
          Roth Army Icon
          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Meh....not really anything to write home about.

It's pretty clear that the author loves himself, as he obviously put a lot of effort into crafting clever phrases while dishing out massive amounts of hyperbole.

What might have been a semi-decent article got buried by the author's attempt to show some sense of sublime wit, and he would have been better served to be a little more succinct instead of showing us all his command of the English language.

In the end, it's just another piece of journalistic tripe that can be tossed onto the massive pile of Van Halen post-mortems that went before it.

"Hagar's a pussy"

"Roth's an egomaniac"

"Ed's a drunken burnout who wasted his chance at musical immortality"

Blah, blah, blah....been there, done that....about a million fucking times. I certainly hope the author doesn't think that any of his readers gleaned anything new or insightful from any of this.
            Originally posted by perilouspete
            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

While I found much to agree with in the article, it does seem like the author went the long way around the barn to make a case that should be fairly simple:

CVH = good

non-CVH = bad

EVH = fucked up
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                While I found much to agree with in the article, it does seem like the author went the long way around the barn to make a case that should be fairly simple:

CVH = good

non-CVH = bad

EVH = fucked up
                Yep... and a quarter of a century wasted...

Damn, 78-84, an album a year... '96: two tunes... And since 2007 - let's say 2008 -, nothing.

A total shitty waste since Dave's '85 departure.

Sure if the name of the band hadn't been kept from 1985 onward, the legacy would have been safe...
                Had Van Halen been over back then, they'd have left with a perfect 6-pack, like the Doors, or Led Zeppelin,
                and there would surely have been an official double live album and a few official videos, all properly produced
                with a stellar sound.

That said, between that scenario and Dave eventually joining back for the 2007-08 Tour and the said-to-be
                forthcoming new album... well, I don't really know...
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• VAiN
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Yeah, you guys are right, it's a bit long, but it's a blog and not an actual 'article'... I appreciate the point of view from someone who obviously isn't a fan. I wonder what an average music fan thinks of VH and this is probably pretty close.
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Wow. The guy pretty much delivers a Cliffs Notes version of the finer points made at this site over the years (although not nearly as well) and ties things up with a Norman Mailer quote referencing J.D. Salinger. Okey-doke.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2006

The writer compares Corey Glover leaving Living Colour to Diamond Dave leaving Van Halen or Robert Plant leaving Led Zeppelin. A bit of a stretch, I would say. Oh, and I would like to punch him in the face

Comment

• DaveTheScott
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2007

"Consider his treatment of former bassist Michael Anthony, the man some might insist has always been the heart and soul of the band." Ummm...

Who the fuck is this guy, anyway?

Comment

• VAiN
                          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by DaveTheScott
                          Ummm... Who the fuck is this guy, anyway?
                          Just some schmuck writing on the internets. I found it interesting to see how a non-fan feels about what happened to VH. Of course we all know every detail - but this is the average dumbass in 2011's opinion.

Comment

• Etienne
                            Commando
                            • Aug 2010

It must be a big challenge for EVH to make music without being drunk or on drugs. If your inspiration and magic moments are only to find with these substances, then you are caught. It needs mostly a longer learning curve to get there without.

However, EVH played the songs 2007/2008 better as 2004 on the Van Hagar tour. So let's hope...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
                              However, EVH played the songs 2007/2008 better as 2004 on the Van Hagar tour. So let's hope...
                              no big deal...it couldn't get any worse than 2004...
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...