PDA

View Full Version : The Roth Army All Star Band Jams thread..

Pages : [1] 2

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
This is where we'll put it all together. We have the concept, now it's finally time to make it happen.
There's a lot of talented members here and it's time we had some fun with this. Once the grooves,keys and delegation of parts are agreed on, we'll need some basic rules.

1. Once a basic drum track has been laid down and passed around, it's entire length cannot be altered. Reason: to keep the count in preserved and it will make it easier to sync to when loading and aligning the track/s into each of our recording stations to play along (As we all tend to use different DAW's). Same goes for any other instruments or vocals...

2. All tracks to be recorded @ 24 bit/ 44.100 sample rate.

3. All tracks should be recorded dry. VST's should only be added @ the mixing stage> of course myself and Jay will be adding cabinets in post tracking via Recabinet. ( The Recabinet option will be available to anyone who opts to go direct with their guitar or bass tracking).

Well that's a start. I'm sure we'll add rules as along the way...

As for "producer/mixer/mastering guy", I will throw my hat in the ring . I have my own studio running Nuendo 2 (upgrading to N4 very soon) and I have the time to put in to dedicate to the cause... (Jus' sayin') ;)

Discuss....

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
i'm so fuckin' excited!!!!!!

jhale667
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Excellent concept and ground rules, DJ. This is gonna be fun...:baaa:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
This is gonna be cool. :baaa:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Well...... who wants to wear the Irving Azoff hat? :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Let's start with idea's. Chef made some good points regarding the diversity of the songs (based on 3 for starters)...

Also, time frame per song. I think, seeing as we're all over the world, I think once the ball gets rolling we should allow 1 month per tune.
Damn, in 10 mths. we could have enough material for a release. I bet we can assemble an album's worth of material quicker than VH... :biggrin:

It's gonna be cool to show the diversity of ideas and talent of us Roth n rollers...

jhale667
05-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Irving Azoff :lmao:

Let's start with idea's. Chef made some good points regarding the diversity of the songs (based on 3)...

Was actually considering re-posting Chef's post here, he does make some excellent points...I dunno about 3 tunes though, I was thinkin' one stomper...LOL but the more the merrier!

:guitar:

FORD
05-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Well...... who wants to wear the Irving Azoff hat? :biggrin:

Guess that would be me, since I can't fucking play a note.

jhale667
05-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Guess that would be me, since I can't fucking play a note.

There ya have it then.

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
So lets put our names here on this list along with your weapon (instrument) of choice...

Diamondjimi - Guitar

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
pete's bro - weed and maybe cowbell :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
pete's bro - weed and maybe cowbell :biggrin:

Cowbell? Hell yeah!!!

Weed? Mmmm....
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/TangSooDoNymII/drooling_homer-712749.png

jhale667
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
So lets put our names here on this list along with your weapon (instrument) of choice...

Diamondjimi - Guitar

Oh, OK - put me down for Guitar too...and Dinosaur noises. :baaa:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok, so far 2 guitarist's..

Diamondjimi
Jhale

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 05:12 PM
kwame already offered his skills

jhale667
05-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Let's draft Lounge and Chef(?) for dueling bass lines...

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 05:18 PM
let bloolith and thome the veggie do the lyrics!!!!!

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok, so far 2 guitarist's 1 drummer and 1 confirmed bassist..

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Chefcraig - Bass
Kwame K - Drums

kwame already offered his skills
Yuppers!

That would be a hoot!:biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
let bloolith and thome the veggie do the lyrics!!!!!
They'd still be better than Hagar's... :lol:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Gotta get HR69, Coyote & Ashtrailia here too...

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
blue mustard and sesh too

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 05:26 PM

doesn't lesfunk play bass too?

Dan
05-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Backing Vocals.

jhale667
05-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, let's get everyone involved. OK, correction - everyone except DisgrACE and Jerksmear. Gotta draw the line somewhere... :lol:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
blue mustard and sesh too

Well, they need to get their asses in here and throw their hat in the ring! ;)

Backing Vocals.
How Rude!

Yeah, let's get everyone involved. OK, correction - everyone except DisgrACE and Jerksmear. Gotta draw the line somewhere... :lol:

Agreed! :baaa:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
if we really needed any aceness to this, i could just move fingers around on a guitar.

jhale667
05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Backing Vocals.

Agree, how rude! :baaa:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
i didn't watch it, but does this kid really talk about a cowbell for 4.5 minutes?

VAiN
05-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I could throw some gee-tar on there if there's room.... This is a great concept... I'm excited to see how this will work out!

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I could throw some gee-tar on there if there's room.... This is a great concept... I'm excited to see how this will work out!

Done deal! :baaa:

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Vain - gtr
Chefcraig - Bass
Kwame K - Drums

Seshmeister
05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Put me down for guitar and I can do keyboards too if needed. :)

Vocally I'm like a goose farting in the fog...

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 07:18 PM
:lol:

Diamondjimi
05-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Update:

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Vain - gtr
Seshmeister - gtr+ keys
Chefcraig - Bass
Kwame K - Drums

FORD
05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
They'd still be better than Hagar's... :lol:

Good point. Maybe I should be the "Robert Hunter" for this band instead of the Irving Azoff?

You guys are cool with political songs, right? :lmao:

lesfunk
05-04-2011, 07:33 PM

If Chef wants to play bass, he can go for it. I'll be the critic.

lesfunk
05-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Good point. Maybe I should be the "Robert Hunter" for this band instead of the Irving Azoff?

You guys are cool with political songs, right? :lmao:

chefcraig
05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
If Chef wants to play bass, he can go for it. I'll be the critic.

The thing is les, I'm not altogether certain if I could track my parts, let alone convert them from my 4 track to digital, which is about all of the equipment (4 track, bass and amp) I have left after the divorce.

lesfunk
05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I have no recording equipment at all. I'm a bass player. I don't write. I interpret

jhale667
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
The thing is les, I'm not altogether certain if I could track my parts, let alone convert them from my 4 track to digital, which is about all of the equipment (4 track, bass and amp) I have left after the divorce.

I have no recording equipment at all. I'm a bass player. I don't write. I interpret

Bummer, guys... :(

ashstralia
05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
my problem would be the fact that i use a zoom mrs802 stand alone daw. i could bounce your tracks onto my machine, then produce a track which would synch up...or bite the bullet and get a cracked pro tools... or i dunno. tell me what you think, guys. also, we're going to end up with too many guitarists just like irl:) so maybe allocating a pair of guitarists for each song, or perhaps pick a key and a style and whoever comes up with the best peer voted riff or....geez i dunno. anyway, i'm definitely in.

Coyote
05-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Write me down for "guitar".

SunisinuS
05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Anything. But I did want to start a thread earlier and this may grow out of this: I like to write music....so I wanted us to write and record a "DLR Army" theme/national anthem song. Lyrics/music/recording. I have done this stuff before....we can even compare if we have more and vote on it....or just collaborate and live with the results.

My sig in the "show your work" thread can at least let you see what I can do.

Good Luck!

chefcraig
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM

OK, leave it to the old school geezer here. J, you have a telephone, right? Why couldn't I set up my amp around 4-5 feet from my own phone (catching some natural room noise/inherent reverb), then I could play along to a recording on my end while you record it on your end. Using tools on available, could you not sync it up properly?

lesfunk
05-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Skype!

chefcraig
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Skype!

How dare you. For one thing, I was raised Episcopalian until I stopped attending in the 6th grade.

lesfunk
05-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Here ya go. The bass has been delivered

jhale667
05-04-2011, 11:03 PM
OK, leave it to the old school geezer here. J, you have a telephone, right? Why couldn't I set up my amp around 4-5 feet from my own phone (catching some natural room noise/inherent reverb), then I could play along to a recording on my end while you record it on your end. Using tools on available, could you not sync it up properly?

True, but never mind my limited experience with time-stretching audio - I'm not sure I can USB audio from my phone to record into Pro Tools real-time, and any other way, besides me calling you once you've got the track and recording the call as you play along into my phone's memory card and importing it results in my recording a phone's speaker...? I don't have the Skype like all the cool kids yet...:umm: ;)

So if I understand DJ's premise correctly, if we're all going to get a MP3 of the drum track , import it into our DAWs, and send back a WAV of whatever part(s) we come up with? This is going to be a little more involved than we think...lol. Because if that's the case, Kwame (Fudd plays drums too, dunno if he has recording capability) has to already have a rough track w/ an arrangement to play? Like riff, verse 2-4x, chorus 'x' times, bridge, rhythm section for 800 guitar solos...how many bars is that gonna be? :lmao: It'll take some collaboration, but can be done...

I'm having to learn all this crap anyway, going to have a friend on the East Coast do some drum tracks on a couple of tunes and he's not running PT either...and I've yet to swap files with people yet. But hey, playing to an already recorded drum track will be so fun for me - after two years of meticulously imposing a groove to a click-track, FFS...? :lol: Thank you!!

Hardrock69
05-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Count me in somehow. I can do bass or guitars. Would have to download and upload files at work or at my Mom's house, but as for recording, I have all the gear I need.

Diamondjimi
05-05-2011, 03:17 AM

Big time! Do either of you (Chef 7 Les) know anyone with a portable digital multi-track who would help you out for a couple of hours here and there?

my problem would be the fact that i use a zoom mrs802 stand alone daw. i could bounce your tracks onto my machine, then produce a track which would synch up...

Perfect!

also, we're going to end up with too many guitarists just like irl:) so maybe allocating a pair of guitarists for each song, or perhaps pick a key and a style and whoever comes up with the best peer voted riff or....geez i dunno. anyway, i'm definitely in.

True, but establishing a good song is key. With the solo section/s, basically each of us would make full passes at the section/s and chop/choose and splice together a cohesive take.(on some songs)
We're obviously taking this 1 song at a time.
So I think the first song should def. have plenty of room for us all to show our chops and different styles ala' Hear n Aid style. Who cares if it's 8 minutes long!:biggrin:

So if I understand DJ's premise correctly, if we're all going to get a MP3 of the drum track , import it into our DAWs, and send back a WAV of whatever part(s) we come up with?

I thought the mp3 format would be easier for us to work up and share our ideas via email ( in the pre production aspect). But once each of us is ready to track our bits (rhythm's/solo's etc.) , they should be in wav. format. (Not blended or mixed with the music), but simply the full single wave track of the guitar, bass etc.
wwwyousendit.com (https://www.yousendit.com/) is a great site for sending large files (free).

This is going to be a little more involved than we think...lol. Because if that's the case, Kwame (Fudd plays drums too, dunno if he has recording capability) has to already have a rough track w/ an arrangement to play? Like riff, verse 2-4x, chorus 'x' times, bridge, rhythm section for 800 guitar solos...how many bars is that gonna be? :lmao: It'll take some collaboration, but can be done...

True, it's gonna take some work,bro. But it'll def. be worth it.
Fudd is a drummer, can't forget Ozzy. Also Go Spurs Go is a bass player as well. I'd mentioned this to him a year or 2 ago and he was into it big time....

Diamondjimi
05-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Cast of characters update:

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Sesh - gtr
Coyote - gtr
Hardrock69 - gtr - bass?- vocals??? ;)
Chefcraig ?- Bass
Kwame K - Drums

Hardrock69
05-05-2011, 03:28 AM
my problem would be the fact that i use a zoom mrs802 stand alone daw. i could bounce your tracks onto my machine, then produce a track which would synch up...or bite the bullet and get a cracked pro tools... or i dunno. tell me what you think, guys. also, we're going to end up with too many guitarists just like irl:) so maybe allocating a pair of guitarists for each song, or perhaps pick a key and a style and whoever comes up with the best peer voted riff or....geez i dunno. anyway, i'm definitely in.

Check out Reaper. Free use for 30 days, then...well, free use after that but if you buy it is only 40 bucks US.....

Sorry....can't help but push it, as I am amazed a person could have this program.....easily the equivalent of ProTools for such a small outlay....

Diamondjimi
05-05-2011, 04:03 AM
HR, you down with some singin too?

Etienne
05-05-2011, 05:24 AM
I would contribute some sparkle-clean-Lukather-Landau-for-example-volume-swell-chords-guitars, if you want...

standin
05-05-2011, 05:36 AM
I can add vocals.

Dave's Bitch
05-05-2011, 05:43 AM
I am starting up getting recording stuff together.I can Sing :).Or if you want a guy singing my friend who used to post here can sing(Axl S)

ashstralia
05-05-2011, 06:22 AM
i've been awol beering. promise i won't turn into sesh. :) (drunk sesh, that is; love ya mate!)... we definitely have many many talented musicians here of all stripes. gosh darn, where to start?

HR, i know and love my machine intimately. i'll be uploading wavs directly from it. that said, i won't fear the reaper. :biggrin:

VanHalener
05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I want a slice of vocals, but I warn you that I like to rock out with my coch out! OWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Someone will have to have editing skills for the video release.

Blaze
05-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I meant to sign on as Blaze this morning. Went back to change and it was past the 20 minutes. Drats

lol.... be sure and shave up nice for the adult release, VanHalener. :biggrin:

Reverberator
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
You could put me down for guitar ...but as I have no clue about the technical shite and all that , I'll go and play to my regular audiance of alziemers ridden olds who don't remember the last bum note.

Kristy
05-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Oh, and if anything is to be made from this I'll be band manager...we'll split the profits 90/10. Deal?

jhale667
05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Uh, no. :baaa:

Diamondjimi
05-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Sesh - gtr
Coyote - gtr
Reverberator - gtr
VanHalener - Vocals?
Chefcraig ?- Bass
Kwame K - Drums

ThrillsNSpills
05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Is the song going to be long, with many parts? I'm concerned with so many guitarists that it won't turn into a clusterfuck unless some people are doing minimalist rhythm type things. I think you can do this but is one guy going to do the writng, or what?

Will some be delegated to rhythm and some for solos? Having a dual lead, or three part would give people a chance to get involved, but don't people have to have the same point of reference and/or approach to have this come together as really cohesive and amazing?
I'm just thinking out loud guys, all just food for thought since I want it to have the best chance of being really memorable and amazing, since I imagine that's the intent....

If there's a solo section , you could expand it by going up a minor third and doing that a couple times. I' m guessing you're going to do a balls out, loud crazy track. There just seems to be a lot of elements that have to be addressed and dealt with, unless I'm reading this wrong. What do you think?

rocknrolldork
05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
This whole thing is a cool idea. Looking forward to hearing the result.

Is the song going to be long, with many parts? I'm concerned with so many guitarists that it won't turn into a clusterfuck unless some people are doing minimalist rhythm type things. I think you can do this but is one guy going to do the writng, or what?

Will some be delegated to rhythm and some for solos? Having a dual lead, or three part would give people a chance to get involved, but don't people have to have the same point of reference and/or approach to have this come together as really cohesive and amazing?
I'm just thinking out loud guys, all just food for thought since I want it to have the best chance of being really memorable and amazing, since I imagine that's the intent....

If there's a solo section , you could expand it by going up a minor third and doing that a couple times. I' m guessing you're going to do a balls out, loud crazy track. There just seems to be a lot of elements that have to be addressed and dealt with, unless I'm reading this wrong. What do you think?

Maybe you guys should do more than one song so everyone who signed up can get involved. Throw a few demos out there then choose who will work on what.

Hardrock69
05-06-2011, 12:30 AM
HR, you down with some singin too?

Sure. We will have to have some kind of peer-voted lyric thang as well. I am good with that, so I am up for writing as well.

Perhaps we can make some kind of group decision on the title of the song, and write lyrics off that.

Or, once the basic arrangement is set, so we know which sections are verses or choruses, then some of us can take a stab at writing lyrics first and then come up with a title from that.

And yes, as for the format, for the rest of us to have something to play to, a stereo mp3 drum track is just fine. I can import it into Reaper and then lay down whatever I need to and export my cuntribution as a .wav. 24-bit 44.1 is no prob.

Have to figure out a good tempo....asskicking fast? Medium headbang? Doomy Sludge? But then, if we are going to do more than one song, we can do one at one speed, then next one slower or faster or whatever.

Kristy, if you get us a gig as the opening act at a puppet show, I might give you about 37 cents for a commission. :lmao:

SunisinuS
05-06-2011, 12:33 AM
I will play Tuba.

Actually I will just sit on the sidelines. As no one is reading post's anymore in this thread.

Roth On All!

kwame k
05-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Great points, Thrills.

I guess it'll depend what the majority wants, as far as song type [up tempo rocker or whatever] and a lot of that shit will get sorted out once ideas start floating around. Hell, that's the fun of collaborating.......that out of left field riff or happy accident. Since we're a pretty diverse group, stylistically speaking, I would love to see everyone's style get represented but The Beast will take on a life of it's own.

As far as having too many of one thing or another.......from the stuff I've heard, everyone's a player here so I'm sure everyone will play for the song.....plus, that's what mixing is for, turning off/down guitar tracks:biggrin: Having said that....we can always do a 15 min wankfest:)

I agree with the consensus as far as format. Sharing MP3's, in the demoing phase, is quick and easy...........using WAV's once tracks are nailed saves upload/download/mailing time. My set-up is simple......one track each for bass and snare, two tracks for ambiance, four tracks total and then bounced to stereo. Unless someone needs a smaller track or file.....on my end, it's easy to bounce to a single track if anyone needs just a single track.

24 bit /44.1 is the way to go.

Once a click track or guide track is established syncing everyone up is simple.......pick a click track, establish the format [intro, verse, chorus, solo and ending] once we have a rough rhythm track add real drums, tweak the rhythm till it's nailed and build off of that............that's they way we've always done it but nothing's written in stone.

kwame k
05-06-2011, 01:22 AM

If you have a four track all you need is to get that into your computer. If your sound card has inputs or a mic input you can bounce your tracks into your computer. Use the output of your four track as a mixing board or DI. As fas as software goes....I can send you Sonar or you can get what HR has been using for free.

Blaze
05-06-2011, 01:26 AM

Do most read music so a score could be constructed. It need not be a score necessarily. It can be a word written clarification. It really does not have to be one song. However, so not to over tax K another percussionist or 2 would be useful.

We might be able to do a rock symphony. Maybe, an established story line like the Battle of Thermopylae or something recent, The Osama compound raid. Tossing ideas.

SunisinuS
05-06-2011, 01:32 AM
I read music.

Blaze
05-06-2011, 01:41 AM
I have vague memories of percussion score. I wouldn't be able to write. I have not relearned it.
I haven't been playing with it much as of late, however Pizzicato writes and organizes different sections well.

Hardrock69
05-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Musical notation is the same as reading Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs to me. Totally a 'by-ear' person.

Blaze
05-06-2011, 02:07 AM
That should be no issue. I did a thesis on writing music for spacial concept.
Your sound however, might need to be translated for those that have lost hearing and depend on visual or vibratory.

Hardrock69
05-06-2011, 03:40 AM
:biggrin:

What I will do is put a pitch transposer on my guitar parts, so that the track will be rumbling along at 8 hertz or so.

Those who are deaf will surely hear it anyway. THROUGH THEIR SKIN! :hee:

ashstralia
05-06-2011, 06:03 AM
i've had an idea. my tune 'teleblast' really only needs a couple of more bits (pre chorus, chorus and a bridge), and it would be a whole song. if i finish it this weekend, maybe we can pass it around and make different versions of it, using different players and singers on each version? there could be an all instrumental/ shred version, one with HR singing, one with jackass singing, one with les and craig and jay, one with extra cowbell.....crazy, i know. but at least it's a concrete start. what do you think boys and girls?

ashstralia
05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Oh, and if anything is to be made from this I'll be band manager...we'll split the profits 90/10. Deal?

how about a few pairs of beautifully handmade italian boots/pumps? ay? AY?

jhale667
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Musical notation is the same as reading Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs to me. Totally a 'by-ear' person.

I don't think we need a 'score' per se. My notational skills are rusty at best, I use MusEdit for the rare times I want to transcribe something. I think since most of us ARE players, a chart would do just fine...y'know, such as:

Riff 4x
Verse section 8x
Chorus 4x

etc, etc.....

jhale667
05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, and don't forget, Eb tuning...because we're a CVH group, we're not doing a Van Hagar tribute! :hee:

VanHalener
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I will play Tuba.

Actually I will just sit on the sidelines. As no one is reading post's anymore in this thread.

Roth On All!

You my friend are a genius! First rock band with a tuba. -Awwww Yeah-

chefcraig
05-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think we need a 'score' per se. My notational skills are rusty at best, I use MusEdit for the rare times I want to transcribe something. I think since most of us ARE players, a chart would do just fine...y'know, such as:

Riff 4x
Verse section 8x
Chorus 4x
etc, etc.....

Oh, and don't forget, Eb tuning...because we're a CVH group, we're not doing a Van Hagar tribute! :hee:

Considering the above, from a compositional standpoint, it might be a good idea to keep the song as simple as possible, like a track from VH II. Minimal chord changes, perhaps only a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, series of overlapping solos, chorus, fade with more solos. Notice I didn't even mention including a bridge, which really isn't all that ncessary in what would essentially be an uptempo boogie tune. The structure (as most boogie tunes are) would have a blues base, and would make the adding of individual parts almost intuitive, thus far easier.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Seshmeister
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
We could do the verses like one of those list songs like 'End of the world as we know it' or 'We didn't start the fire' and but just list dozens of lies Sammy Hagar has told.

chefcraig
05-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Then you'd run the risk of the song turning into one of those 45 minute Dream Theater snorefests.

jhale667
05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Then you'd run the risk of the song turning into one of those 45 minute Dream Theater snorefests.

Please no... :lmao:

Hardrock69
05-06-2011, 04:03 PM

LOL! I tune down to Eb all the time anyway. Figured that out in the late 70s when trying to play along with Kiss records. And it does add a bit of meat to the guitars, AND makes it easier to sing.

Hardrock69
05-06-2011, 04:04 PM

5 minutes max. That is about my favorite time frame anyway. Gives you enough time to have 3 verses, some choruses and a bridge and solo section, with even a nice fadeout if ya want.

Diamondjimi
05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Yup!

Now how do we get this ball a rollin?

jhale667
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
LOL! I tune down to Eb all the time anyway. Figured that out in the late 70s when trying to play along with Kiss records. And it does add a bit of meat to the guitars, AND makes it easier to sing.

Yep, and I've lost count of the singers I've worked with over the years, particularly in cover bands, that cried about it at first - to which I always responded "Let's have this discussion again before the 3RD SET" - who've come back to me at that point and said "DUDE, you're RIGHT - I'm not dyin' tonight, good idea!" Sometimes the singer doesn't realize it until they try it.

fifth element
05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

ahhhhh, but that post got noticed......

SunisinuS...have heard your music...:theband:

rock on!

Hardrock69
05-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Yup!

Now how do we get this ball a rollin?

Well, the writing has to come first in a way.

Heck I dunno....All the guitar players come up with a riff or two, vote on which ones to use, then which ones go where.....verse? Chorus?

We need the main groove first. Intro, lead solos, actual bass line, vocals all can come later. Just need to know what the basic vibe of the song is gonna be first......it could be a bass riff even.

And even once we have a basic idea, we can modify it as we go on...just need to figure out what the arrangement will be...how many verses, choruses, A parts, B parts, how many times repeat each riff...

Once Kwame knows what kinda direction we are going in, and once we have a rough arrangement, he can lay down some drums and we can begin recording for real.

SunisinuS
05-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Well, the writing has to come first in a way.

Heck I dunno....All the guitar players come up with a riff or two, vote on which ones to use, then which ones go where.....verse? Chorus?

We need the main groove first. Intro, lead solos, actual bass line, vocals all can come later. Just need to know what the basic vibe of the song is gonna be first......it could be a bass riff even.

And even once we have a basic idea, we can modify it as we go on...just need to figure out what the arrangement will be...how many verses, choruses, A parts, B parts, how many times repeat each riff...

Once Kwame knows what kinda direction we are going in, and once we have a rough arrangement, he can lay down some drums and we can begin recording for real.

Oooooooooooaowohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Blaze
05-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Ok... I have sound. Lets see if I can import.

It is just over 6 mins long. I have never been able to confine myself.

There are significant breaks for instruments.

I am a firm believer in the first 120 takes are thrown away.

This is a first take unedited.

I just have to figure out how to extract it.

Diamondjimi
05-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Ok... I have sound. Lets see if I can import.

It is just over 6 mins long. I have never been able to confine myself.

There are significant breaks for instruments.

~Data~

I am a firm believer in the first 120 takes are thrown away.

http://drugabusearticles.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/drug-addiction.jpg

Mmmm, K.....

Blaze
05-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Grr. Make fun gypsy Jimmi... I have tried three services.... uploading is not easy for me.

Diamondjimi
05-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Jus' kidding... :biggrin:

ashstralia
05-07-2011, 06:09 AM
i'm still offering this as at least an intro. e flat is fine with me. someone write the next bit!!!

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=mLt19R

chefcraig
05-07-2011, 08:10 AM
This a track I never finished, but pretty much points in the direction I feel things might go. I need to find the track in my collection and upload it with Supload, but this will work for now.

<div><embed style='display:inline;' quality='high' wmode='transparent' id='FlashDiv' FlashVars='songId=6118039&pid=8387131719324513277' AllowScriptAccess='always' src='http://www.myspace.com/music/song-embed?songid=6118039&getSwf=true' width='400' height='77'/><p>Find more <a target='_blank' href='http://www.myspace.com/tombanacek/music/songs'>tom banacek</a> songs at <a target='_blank' href='http://www.myspace.com/music'> Myspace Music </a></p></div>

Etienne
05-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Am I not part of it? :(

SunisinuS
05-07-2011, 01:32 PM

"The Masses are Asses"---Winnie.

Lol of course you are! This is music by committee......have fun!

Hardrock69
05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey Kwame, how are you with a double-kick shuffle?

I just came up with a rough sketch of a song. One of my fave ways to write is to sit in front of the TV with legs up on the coffee table, mindlessly jamming on guitar while watching some crap on the tube. Today's edition of "let's write a song without trying" brought to you courtesy of Epiphone Guitars, Marshall Amps, JVC Televisions and the TV show "Manhunters: Fugitive Task Force".

We all are here because we are Van Halen fans. One thing Van Halen has done (among many) that is unique in the hard rock pantheon is Alex Van Halen's double-kick shuffle.
No other band I can think of in the history of rock music has used a double-kick shuffle in a song (though of course I could be wrong). I have never heard any other band do such a thing, anyway. So I came up with some riffs with that in mind, complete with 2 different sections for guitar solos (in different keys), a sorta quiet breakdown, three verses, and some other rubbish.

Am getting to work right now on my VS-1680 and my drum machine to come up with something. Will just do a basic drum track, rhythm guitar, with a couple of rubbish solos to show where the solos go.

Will post it later this evening.

jhale667
05-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Now we're getting somewhere...a riff tossed out soon? Cool! :killer:

Diamondjimi
05-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Never said that, buddy. All are welcome! :D

SunisinuS
05-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I lost my recorder (Roland) as well in a divorce....so I will have to phone it in...but we can all play it together if we show up. 2:53 seconds long would be fine with me.

Hardrock69
05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Coming along fine. Got drums programmed up to first chorus. Which means I have enough patterns to pretty much create the whole drum track. So it is a matter of sitting there figuring out chord progressions, how long, then programming the patterns into the drum machine to fit.

For writing purposes I am using my Epi Les Paul studio plugged into the Roland, using the Amp Sims....when I track in a little while I will get out the real deal - Flying V with EMGs into Marshall Half Stack with Shure 57 through Art TubePac Preamp. Gonna be scratch, but at least it will sound good, lol.

Here is my recording setup - pic taken 5 minutes ago....

Hardrock69
05-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Drum track done. Decided I won't bother with Marshall and the real deal until I am ready to do final guitar tracks (if I wind up doing guitars at all, lol). For now the Amp sims in the Roland will do.

Have to get some reasonably decent guitar tracks on here, then a bass, then upload it to somewhere and post a link to it here.

Time to eat something, though. Mmmm....dinner!

Hardrock69
05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
GAAAH! My ARMS!

I have not played bass in awhile. And it took me about an hour to get a complete take, and another half an hour to get one that I found "acceptable".

This tune is pretty loose. Not totally happy with the bass sound, the guitar sound, etc. but I realized I needed to just get it done as a DEMO and not to obsess over it, as I tend to do that about stuff I produce. :biggrin:

Doing some tweaking to the mix, then convert to mp3, and upoad to megaupload. Gonna take awhile, as even 3 or 4 Megabyte files (if I can upload them successfully at all) can take an hour or more to upload.

Two rhythm guitars panned hard left and right. Bass and drums.

Diamondjimi
05-07-2011, 10:31 PM
GAAAH! My ARMS!

I have not played bass in awhile. And it took me about an hour to get a complete take, and another half an hour to get one that I found "acceptable".

This tune is pretty loose. Not totally happy with the bass sound, the guitar sound, etc. but I realized I needed to just get it done as a DEMO and not to obsess over it, as I tend to do that about stuff I produce. :biggrin:

Doing some tweaking to the mix, then convert to mp3, and upoad to megaupload. Gonna take awhile, as even 3 or 4 Megabyte files (if I can upload them successfully at all) can take an hour or more to upload.

Is this one for us to pass around and cultivate? ;)

jhale667
05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Is this one for us to pass around and cultivate? ;)

That was gonna be my question...or is it gonna get approved and then sent to Kwame for a real drum track to then have the guitars re-done and whatnot? :D

Diamondjimi
05-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Exactly,exactly.....

Hey Jay, one most post to go, eh?! :baaa:

jhale667
05-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Exactly,exactly.....

Hey Jay, one most post to go, eh?! :baaa:

Yup! :baaa: DING!!

Diamondjimi
05-07-2011, 11:33 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2NgkkZTVm1jFvuPAbwFMBj_cCNmtdP v4d8CSMF0zztdeO7TMv

Hardrock69
05-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Kickass dude! 10,000!!!

MUCH CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Am still working on upload. Megaupload.com only gives me errors. Uploaded to rapidshare, and it just sat there without giving me a link. Am uploading to hotfile.com now.

As for what the heck this is for, that is for you guys to decide. I have been sitting here (like RIGHT NOW) listening to this over and over.

It has some VH cliches in it sorta, but overall I am digging it. Not bad for only 5 hours of work. It is slightly over 4 minutes long. Feel free to discard parts of it, dissect it, whatever.

Not only that, I ended up not using anything at all I came up with while watching TV this afternoon, lol. I wrote everything off the top of my head as I was creating the drum track.

No guitar solos. This is just the basic crap. And I was originally going to put a quiet part in, but forgot, lol.

If Hotfile.com works out, I should have this uploaded in about 40 minutes or so.

SunisinuS
05-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Coming along fine. Got drums programmed up to first chorus. Which means I have enough patterns to pretty much create the whole drum track. So it is a matter of sitting there figuring out chord progressions, how long, then programming the patterns into the drum machine to fit.

For writing purposes I am using my Epi Les Paul studio plugged into the Roland, using the Amp Sims....when I track in a little while I will get out the real deal - Flying V with EMGs into Marshall Half Stack with Shure 57 through Art TubePac Preamp. Gonna be scratch, but at least it will sound good, lol.

Here is my recording setup - pic taken 5 minutes ago....

You have one of my old recorders....had to sell it because I was kicked out of the house.

Roth On!

Hardrock69
05-08-2011, 01:56 AM
FINALLY!

GODDAMMIT! :mad:

Took an hour and a fucking half to upload this!

DOWNLOAD PAGE:

http://hotfile.com/dl/117108759/6f7475c/Roth-On_HR69.zip.html

Enjoy, peeps!

Guitar on the right is my black JB Player neck-thru Strat. Guitar on the left is #1 Son - 88 Flying V. Plugged direct into the Roland. Bass was as well. Used the Epi Les Paul just to record the first few scratch tracks, but then moved on to the better axes, lol.

Dude....Roland VS-1680s can be bought in pawn shops now for 400 bucks! Tascam 2488s with built in CD burners are now going for 800 bucks new! 24 track hard disc recorders for 800 fucking dollars! My VS-1680 cost me 1400 bucks used, but it came with two FX cards and a flight case.

Too bad you had to sell your Roland, but there are plenty of them out there if you should want another one.

Diamondjimi
05-08-2011, 02:29 AM
FINALLY!

Enjoy, peeps!

Guitar on the right is my black JB Player neck-thru Strat. Guitar on the left is #1 Son - 88 Flying V. Plugged direct into the Roland. Bass was as well. Used the Epi Les Paul just to record the first few scratch tracks, but then moved on to the better axes, lol.

Fuckin right. This fucker rocks. Kwame, get this fucker down, I'm diggin it!

Great work HR. It's a great kick in the ass, out of the gate.

What do you guys think?

Blaze
05-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Yup! :baaa: DING!!

Whooo Hooo!

FINALLY!

Enjoy, peeps!

Dude....Roland VS-1680s can be bought in pawn shops now for 400 bucks! Tascam 2488s with built in CD burners are now going for 800 bucks new! 24 track hard disc recorders for 800 fucking dollars! My VS-1680 cost me 1400 bucks used, but it came with two FX cards and a flight case.

Too bad you had to sell your Roland, but there are plenty of them out there if you should want another one.

Hrmmmm... Man, I know that feeling... I still have my track from last night. And I was thinking of going to Micky dee's to down load what's been put up.
I am in a remote location, but next to a highly traveled trail. Our Micky just got a hotspot. When I went there to try it out I was the super geek.

Man it has been so long since doing some wordage to an created sound... I honestly look forward to it.

I did notice that this computer will not do for recording. It sounds like vinyl.

I'll record on the off line, I'll play the song in head phones while doing the lyrics. Hopefully it will not bleed much.
Man this is like checkpoints. I actually had pains of missing... I do not know what to call it... you know that feeling of creating and receiving. You know that moment where you walk off and know you just did something pretty cool and you thank God then look around to see and people are looking. And you are kind of like... umm that's alright. they're cool.

I got that....
Anyway...
Let me try to upload again.
Lately, I have had a lot of weird computer jive, When I checked the email this morning it said I registered with yousendit last night. I recall last night when it happened, I was WT? I did not authorize that....

Cheeers!

To the sound!
Blooju :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-08-2011, 02:41 AM

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Sesh - gtr
Coyote - gtr
Etienne- gtr
Standin/Blaze/Julia/Oolith- lyrics/vocals?
Chefcraig ?- Bass
Kwame K - Drums

Hardrock69
05-08-2011, 02:44 AM
I am well aware of the feeling of having accomplished something groovy. Been listening to this non-stop for hours now. Even while tracking I was going WOAH.....

This is so good that I am eventually going to rework the arrangement a bit, and write my own lyrics....for use on an upcoming album.

But for this project here, it is just a 'sketch'. You guys are going to add the color using your crayons. And if you decide to color outside the lines, hey, this is the Roth Army, is it not? :D

Just let me do the main rhythm guitar. Since that initial lick comes naturally it will sound just like it does now, lol. Of course if anyone wants to double the track, feel free. You other guys figure out solos. There is plenty of space to add little bits and pieces. And the two double kick sections later on are where I intended the real guitar histrionics to go.....

For a lyrical theme I have an idea. Make it about a raging party held at Roth Army HQ. Mention people by name. Silly crap that references what our crazy cast of characters are known for, what they would do, etc.

And here is the neat idea: We can include people on this board who cannot sing or cannot play a note. Just have people submit random recordings of themselves talking, laughing, yelling crazy shit, whatever. Elvis reading the Bible. Big Bad Brian ranting about Retardlican Fundligionism. Sesh going on about life in the UK. Bueno Bob delivering a drunken lecture on the True Meaning Of Larg.
WHATEVER. We can choose some of the more hilarious and appropriate bits and throw them in during the verses as background noise. As if it were a party.

A party vibe was what I was going after when I created this.

Diamondjimi
05-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Yup, but you have to sing on this. We can fill in the bits.... ;)

Blaze
05-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Yea, yea, yea, This would be throw away for me.

chop it, crop it.. do whatever..

I am chomping to pull some of these tracts and lay down next to them.
I just authorize you send it.
It it 5.96MB Geronimo.wma
sorry about the wma.. better luck next time
:pullinghair: it is going to take all night,

Blaze
05-08-2011, 02:59 AM
In the mean time I got a paypal scam letter asking me for an update. It is soooooo good.
it was listed as -> e.paypal.com
It might be ligit, nonetheless, because it asked me to confirm I am sending a copy to paypall security for their review. :baaa:

Blaze
05-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Ummm. I do not see this file getting past whatever it is that blocks me.

Hardrock69
05-08-2011, 03:05 AM
In the mean time I got a paypal scam letter asking me for an update. It is soooooo good.
It might be ligit, nonetheless, because it asked me to confirm I am sending a copy to paypall security for their review. :baaa:

LOL! I see those all the time. Fucking Nigerians.

FORD
05-08-2011, 03:35 AM
I got a PayPal letter myself the other day, and it looked legit. But I didn't have any reason to change anything in my account there, so I didn't go to their website to investigate. Didn't seem like a phishing scam to me.

Hardrock69
05-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Don't bet on it. PayPal does not send emails like that.
I do work on the side dealing with Nigerian 419 scammers and other online fraudsters, and they can occasionally create websites, email formats, etc. that look absolutely real.

If you want to know if it is a legit email, just log in to your real PayPal account. IF they would have actually sent that email, the message will be in your account in your inbox. What tips me off in most cases is when I get such an email at an email address that is not the one associated with my PayPal account.

Better safe than sorry.

Diamondjimi
05-08-2011, 04:45 AM
[QUOTE=Blaze;1540354]Yea, yea, yea, This would be throw away for me.

What are you using for a DAW, Blaze?

Seshmeister
05-08-2011, 06:27 AM

It's almost certainly a scam.

Did it have your actual name in the email? That's the first test.

Blaze
05-08-2011, 05:04 PM
This would be a good time to remind everyone of basic security.

As we are downloading from people, we may or may not know. One thing for sure, we are not certain where everyone has stuck, or is sticking their computers along the Internet tubes. Nor their extent of protection used while probing the great vast space of the Internet. Depending on your own internet situation, extra precaution is in order.

This site and others that clearly show who has or has not donated provides information to would be criminals. Whoever has donated, most likely they have a PayPal account.

A simple hack of the site as have occurred in the past, would provide the mailing list for those registered. That list and other data gleaned while the site was in exploit mode is useful to sell to help fund the operations of the criminal. Or used directly not only for theft but also for Business Intelligence. In addition, a criminal applying social engineering can corrupt, mislead, or force person/s into doing things they otherwise might not do.

Keep in mind, not only this site, but other sites you attend, like Sony’s recent breach of Playstation.
I know some of you are thinking OMG there is no way to be safe and have a life. Security is a commodity. Most of us do not want nor can take the time and money to have an unbreachable system. And quite honestly, no system is unbreachable including the one’s behind locked doors not connect to the internet.

What there are is unknown systems. Moreover, being unknown is relatively free for most people.
That sounds like you have to be a masked freak all the time and you do not want to do that. You want to be free, you want to make friends, be friends, and have a social life. I feel ya. I want, also!
Here is the solution that will work for most people.

Never use facts for your security questions. Do not give your mother’s maiden name, your hometown, or anything of that nature. Instead, choose a password. Do not use this password anywhere else on the web. Create three of them. You have high, middle, and low-level security zones. Security is fluid. Do not hesitate to move different parts of your life into different zones. Do not write these down anywhere. However, if you must, write them on paper and place them behind lock and key. Do not write “super secret passwords” on top of the list. A name and random looking addresses will do. You will know what they are. So will your significant other, when they ask what those are while rifling through important papers, but that is another topic… :biggrin:

You now no longer have to worry about talking about your childhood, family, or other such stuff in general conversation. You can tell that story about how your first pet, Fido ate your second pet in a rose bed and that is why that is your favorite flower. Or answer those silly data-mining-who-are-you questionnaires. OMG, you almost feel like a real person again. You cannot wait to start telling the world about just who you are and why. Glad to help

Now that you have removed personal information as your access to your online identity giving you one less known key, let us get the other keys just as unknown.

Remember the best security is the criminal not knowing.

However, how do you throw off an on-the-hunt criminal, or a nosy neighbor?

You want to be social, you want to have places to go, and you want to connect.

Your passwords into the cyber word let you be you. You must have a 100 of them and your comment about how fast grass grows is important! You got to get on!

To create secure passwords use a formula, a recipe so to speak, I will show you an example.

I would again create three levels.

Let us create a password:
Select a phrase such as:
Blue dogs named Sam have feet

Smash it, keep the capitols, and sprinkle a few numbers
Blu3dogsnam3dSamhavef33t
You can use a shorter one for example Arr3st3d

Choose two letters from the site you are visiting or making home.

We will use Roth Army as an example.
Choose the first and last letter, the first two letters, or fourth and sixth letters. It does not matter what two or three, just keep it consistent so you know which ones. You will place these letters somewhere in your passphrase.

For example, I will take the ‘my’ from rotharmy.com
I will take these letters and tack them somewhere in my phrase. I am going to choose for this example to place them after the first 3.
Blu3mydogsnam3dSamhavef33t
Arr3myssted

There you go, a unique password for every place

Here is an again in a nutshell
Auniquephrasewithcapitolsandnumberswithaplacemento fselectlettersofthesiteyouarevisiting
4uniquePhrasewithcap1tolsandnumberswithaplacemento fselectlettersofthesiteyouarevisiting.
4uniquePhrasewith(place select letters into the phrase)cap1tolsandnumberswithaplacementofselectlet tersofthesiteyouarevisiting.

Your password is your key. Don’t let it get breeched.
Here is a how long using a brute force program to hack your password.

Password Length/ All Characters/ Only Lowercase
3 characters/ 0.86 seconds/ 0.02 seconds
4 characters/ 1.36 minutes./ 046 seconds
5 characters/ 2.15 hours/ 11.9 seconds
6 characters/ 8.51 days/ 5.15 minutes
7 characters/ 2.21 years/ 2.23 hours
8 characters/ 2.10 centuries/ 2.42 days
9 characters/ 20 millennia/ 2.07 months
10 characters/ 1,899 millennia/
11 characters/ 180,365 millennia/
12 characters/ 17,184,705 millennia/
13 characters/ 1,627,797,068 millennia/
14 characters/ 154,640,721,434 millennia/

Roth Army defends against brute force, but lesser sites might not. And you might use that password here.

You say that does not matter. Nobody knows where I go or bank. Well that file you just downloaded from Billy Bob, who uses little to no security while visiting Russian Mafia sites, got a brief peek-a-boo into your system with a lesser known hack before you or your system shut it down. Now those cookies are only a password away from in. :umm:

Data logging is a whole other fiend, and best dealt with by using separate computers on separate intra and Internet networks and are topics unto themselves.

Diamondjimi
05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah ~Data~!

jhale667
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Started thinking, based on what Kwame had to say about what he was sending, that I'd rather have separate stereo tracks for the kick, snare, toms & overheads rather than one stereo mix I'm stuck with on my own tunes. Imaging for CPU space I'll eventually have to bounce it down to a master drum mix I'm stuck with, but I want to be 100% OK with the version I'm stuck with. :lmao:

Hardrock69
05-08-2011, 09:17 PM
You are talking about the final drum track, not the mp3 we are all going to use to track our individual stuff, right?

jhale667
05-08-2011, 09:26 PM
You are talking about the final drum track, not the mp3 we are all going to use to track our individual stuff, right?

Yeah, totally...long as I can hear the drums on the MP3 well enough to track my part(s), I'm cool. Sorry, I was talking about for my own stuff, and also kinda wondering out loud what'd be best for final mixing purposes there and in this context, as to what DJ wants.... :baaa:

Diamondjimi
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Well, if Kwame breaks his kit into 4+ controllable tracks ( In wav.) for his final take , the more tracks the merrier. Ideally a stereo overhead setup (2 mics) / 1 kick (2 if possible, one inside and one about 6' off the front head with a horse blanket encasing the entire front like an igloo sounds amazing The natural low end girth blended with the beater mic inside will melt your brain, it's so good) and one on the snare (2 if possible. One for each head) .

I've always wondered about the possibility of the conversion to mp3 has timeline robbing effects, even in the millisecond realm. Regardless, I think a lossless mixdown of the drums should be passed out to ensure exact timeline.
Then I guess bass and rhythm can get slapped on and then we can divvy up solo times. Or we can each do full passes and pick the best bits and transitions. It could go either way.

Blaze
05-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah ~Data~!

Aouuu, Forgive me for getting kicked off the Internet!

I am using NCH

I used Movie Maker to record that evening. I thought I would be able to pop out the file. But then I realized, I couldn't access any of my recording programs.

BTW
Modzilla and Chrome released an update. This update includes a patch for invalid certificates that were issued.
I knew I had an exploit. I was having trouble finding it.
I was pretty certain that I had a certificate issue. And that was what it was.
It is nice to be able to use my pointer properly again

If you have not updated, those two browsers do so TODAY.... NOW.
If you are not sure check for an update. to update Chrome click on the About Chrome section.

Also, Scype has a known security issue on a mac.
Update it today.

For the geeks:
~I couldn't find it. It must have not got saved before the crash.

You know what really annoys me, is I did a complete reset and reformat of my phone looking for the issue. :pullinghair:

jhale667
05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Ideally, a .WAV file of the drums would be better even to track against, huh? :umm:

Diamondjimi
05-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Ideally, a .WAV file of the drums would be better even to track against, huh? :umm:

Yeah, why not it's the real deal. Are we gonna run with HR's idea? I dig it. If thats the case, Kwame learns it, tracks it shoots me the tracks. I can mix it and shoot it over to HR for bass and guitar, and from there he can continue with his tracking . He can shoot me back the basic rythym and bass and I can one again mix it and send an updated mix around asap etc....

Blaze
05-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Ok back up and running....

Blaze
05-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Good Lord! 4.5 Kb/s I just might wait until my next trip to town. Which will be tomorrow. :biggrin:

jhale667
05-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah, why not it's the real deal. Are we gonna run with HR's idea? I dig it. If thats the case, Kwame learns it, tracks it shoots me the tracks. I can mix it and shoot it over to HR for bass and guitar, and from there he can continue with his tracking . He can shoot me back the basic rythym and bass and I can one again mix it and send an updated mix around asap etc....

Sounds like a plan...you play master producer/engineer and send out the backing tracks you want us to work off of...we send you separate .wav files of our part(s), bam! :baaa:

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Well, all I need is a stereo mp3. Long as I can hear the kick/snare cleanly, I am fine. I need to make an adjustment though to my initial drum track idea. The very first section, the drum part is:

kick......snarekick. The kick right after the snare needs to be delayed a bit to match the guitar and bass line(kick......snare......kick). I will fix it and post a fixed version in a day or so. Want Kwame to learn the best version for the song. As once he has it tracked, no need for him to redo anything.

Diamondjimi
05-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Sounds like a plan...you play master producer/engineer and send out the backing tracks you want us to work off of...we send you separate .wav files of our part(s), bam! :baaa:

If it's cool with you guys. I live for this stuff. It's great to work on something other than my own project that's literally consumed the last 14 months of my life...:biggrin:

Well, all I need is a stereo mp3. Long as I can hear the kick/snare cleanly, I am fine. I need to make an adjustment though to my initial drum track idea. The very first section, the drum part is:

kick......snarekick. The kick right after the snare needs to be delayed a bit to match the guitar and bass line(kick......snare......kick). I will fix it and post a fixed version in a day or so. Want Kwame to learn the best version for the song. As once he has it tracked, no need for him to redo anything.

Fuckin A! :baaa:

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Heh...this is the first new song I have written in almost a year. Got burned out on my album-project-in-the-making and slacked off, then was able to get the original multi-tracks of some demos I did back in the 90s, and have been going balls to the wall on that as of late.

This track is quite inspirational! :D

chefcraig
05-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I've come up with one or two melodic ideas for the bass part, but tell me what you guys think about this: I'd like to wait until kwame has tracked his drum parts, in order to play off of that. To me, it would create a far more organic feel, as I would be performing with a person. He might do a fill that could set my thinking in a totally different direction, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be so tempted to overplay in order to beef up the rhythm. If you guys are going to be soloing on top of this, about the last thing you need is a too-busy bass part. Come to think of it, it might make sense to track the bass part last, as I could create one or two off-hand harmony lines with the leads.

kwame k
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I was gone for the weekend and haven't caught up with what's going on, yet.

I'll give HR's tune a listen after work................

kwame k
05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I've come up with one or two melodic ideas for the bass part, but tell me what you guys think about this: I'd like to wait until kwame has tracked his drum parts, in order to play off of that. To me, it would create a far more organic feel, as I would be performing with a person. He might do a fill that could set my thinking in a totally different direction, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be so tempted to overplay in order to beef up the rhythm. If you guys are going to be soloing on top of this, about the last thing you need is a too-busy bass part. Come to think of it, it might make sense to track the bass part last, as I could create one or two off-hand harmony lines with the leads.

That's fine with me, Craig.........even if the reverse happens and a bas lick inspires a drum part, it's easy enough to rerecord a part.

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree.

kwame k
05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Started thinking, based on what Kwame had to say about what he was sending, that I'd rather have separate stereo tracks for the kick, snare, toms & overheads rather than one stereo mix I'm stuck with on my own tunes. Imaging for CPU space I'll eventually have to bounce it down to a master drum mix I'm stuck with, but I want to be 100% OK with the version I'm stuck with. :lmao:

Sending WAV files is no problem from my end.......I was thinking the file sizes may be a bit much for some to download. Whatever you guys want is cool with me.

kwame k
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, if Kwame breaks his kit into 4+ controllable tracks ( In wav.) for his final take , the more tracks the merrier. Ideally a stereo overhead setup (2 mics) / 1 kick (2 if possible, one inside and one about 6' off the front head with a horse blanket encasing the entire front like an igloo sounds amazing The natural low end girth blended with the beater mic inside will melt your brain, it's so good) and one on the snare (2 if possible. One for each head) .

I've always wondered about the possibility of the conversion to mp3 has timeline robbing effects, even in the millisecond realm. Regardless, I think a lossless mixdown of the drums should be passed out to ensure exact timeline.
Then I guess bass and rhythm can get slapped on and then we can divvy up solo times. Or we can each do full passes and pick the best bits and transitions. It could go either way.

The only reason I was only going to use four tracks was to keep the file size and tracks down to a minimum because of the number of people playing on a song......more for track space.

I do like the the four track setup, though......gives a great drum tone but I can record eight tracks live!

chefcraig
05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
So I'm assuming I would run a line out of the computer into my Fostex X-14, record the song onto one or two tracks, then overdub my part. What I'm unsure of is getting the recording back to you guys. Barring issues on my end, I could probably mail someone the tape and have them upload it, right?

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Can you run a direct line out into the line in of your sound card on your PC, Craig? All you have to do is record the part you record on your Fostex onto a .wav file through the line in of your sound card and send it. We can deal with issues about aligning it with the other tracks so it synchs properly.

Unless you don't have a great sound card or software to record. You can always just dump it to a casette, and DJ can clean up tape hiss, etc.

And Kwame, however many tracks is fine. Your worries about file size are sort of irrelevant. If you are sending to DiamondJimi, track the drums at 24-bit 44.1, send them to DJ then he can convert to a stereo mp3 for the rest of us to track to. And that file would only be a few megabytes. Ask him how many tracks he wants for his mixdown though.

kwame k
05-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Craig....or if you can go out from your computer to the Fostex, you should be able to take the output from the Fostex and run it back into your computer. Most sounds cards have a mic or stereo inputs. Might have to go to Radio Shack or a music store and get a 1/4" to RCA cable or whatever the output from the Fostex to the computer would require.

That way you are in the digital domain and can make any edits you need on your end........like I said before, getting you some editing software is no problem, bro:beers8:

kwame k
05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Shit......HR beat me to it!

kwame k
05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Can you run a direct line out into the line in of your sound card on your PC, Craig? All you have to do is record the part you record on your Fostex onto a .wav file through the line in and send it. We can deal with issues about aligning it with the other tracks so it synchs properly.

Unless you don't have a great sound card or software to record. You can always just dump it to a casette, and DJ can clean up tape hiss, etc.

And Kwame, however many tracks is fine. Your worries about file size are sort of irrelevant. If you are sending to DiamondJimi, track the drums at 24-bit 44.1, send them to DJ then he can convert to a stereo mp3 for the rest of us to track to. And that file would only be a few megabytes. Ask him how many tracks he wants for his mixdown though.

For sure I'll be recording in 24/44.1!

chefcraig
05-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm going to need to experiment a bit here. After all, I've never used this computer for any sort of home recording, In fact, I have not used it for much other than looking at porn and posting on websites.

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 10:39 AM
It's pretty simple. Between all of us we can make sure you can get it taken care of. :D

Only thing to worry about with the PC is how good the sound card is. If it is built into the motherboard, it could be a bit iffy. And you may record it as a .wav file only to find there are a buncha pops and clicks and stuff. But even if you can only record it from the Fostex onto a standard cassette, we have the capability to transfer it into the digital domain, and like the 6-million-dollar man "We can rebuild it. We have the technology". In fact, however good you get it, we have the capabilities to make it sound much better, lol.

kwame k
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah......we will be able to get your parts on, Craig!

chefcraig
05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah......we will be able to get your parts on, Craig!

I really need to start wearing my newer set of glasses. I could have sworn that read "we will be able to get your pants on...", which creeped me out to no end. For a minute there, I thought Dan was producing the damned thing. :duh:

jhale667
05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I really need to start wearing my newer set of glasses. I could have sworn that read "we will be able to get your pants on...", which creeped me out to no end. For a minute there, I thought Dan was producing the damned thing. :duh:

:lmao:

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Here Kwame, this is for you! :D

http://i54.tinypic.com/14d2avo.gif

Blaze
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
^^^^^
hahaha That's funny.

I thought there were more than the 2 downloads in this thread. I pulled everything I saw from the thread and summarized in this post. Spot me if I missed something.

Before I took the desktop off line. I scrubbed it.
That said. I am hunting freeware. I know I am going to have to record on the dell. I know I had recording software. I just can't find it. I at least had transcribing and... anyway. I can't find it.

This is the list I garnered. It could be useful to some. I have the link set to free sort by user ratings.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/audio-production-and-recording-software/?tag=mncol%3Bsort&filter=licenseName%3D%22Free%22|&filterName=licenseName%3DFree|&rpp=10&sort=userRating+asc

The local hotspots will not let me view Roth Army because of sexuality. :biggrin:

So I'll use my connection and then gather the tracts and whatever else needs to be listened or downloaded. Then switch back to the hotspots.
I really have to learn to tunnel. I know it can't be that difficult.

i'm still offering this as at least an intro. e flat is fine with me. someone write the next bit!!!

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=mLt19R

This a track I never finished, but pretty much points in the direction I feel things might go. I need to find the track in my collection and upload it with Supload, but this will work for now.

<div><embed style='display:inline;' quality='high' wmode='transparent' id='FlashDiv' FlashVars='songId=6118039&pid=8387131719324513277' AllowScriptAccess='always' src='http://www.myspace.com/music/song-embed?songid=6118039&getSwf=true' width='400' height='77'/><p>Find more <a target='_blank' href='http://www.myspace.com/tombanacek/music/songs'>tom banacek</a> songs at <a target='_blank' href='http://www.myspace.com/music'> Myspace Music </a></p></div>

FINALLY!

Enjoy, peeps!

[QUOTE=Blaze;1540354]Yea, yea, yea, This would be throw away for me.

Not sure anymore... I am going to pick something from the link above...

It would be nice if I could clean the vocals up a little before tossing them, but I'll record enough that it can be trimmed to the green. instead of fluffed.
It would be nice if you could take a quick look and see if there is any freeware that catches your eye.

I am going to lunch.

Be back in a bit.

Dan
05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
So The First Song is Called "You Better Keep Your Pants On"?

Dan
05-09-2011, 02:45 PM
You Better Keep Your Pants On,
If You Want To Hear This Song.
Dont Want To See Your Ding Dong
Hanging From Your Thong.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
ugh, let dan do the cowbell.........:biggrin:

jhale667
05-09-2011, 03:35 PM
So The First Song is Called "You Better Keep Your Pants On"?

I was thinking something more along the lines of "Lose the Dress, Keep the Shoes". :cool:

chefcraig
05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I was thinking something more along the lines of "Lose the Dress, Keep the Shoes". :cool:

If it was up to Dan, it would probably be a Chuck Berry cover. Poor bastard, this was his only #1 hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 04:18 PM

:hee:

http://i54.tinypic.com/30rtz7l.jpg

Blaze
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Ah. With Paris err... providing cover for me... I'll drop this here. ;)

Yea, I know I said "for the next forty minutes" ... umm Quite a few times. However, it was and is intended for compost.

I did not realize a bit a strength was OK. It just never crossed my mind. I actually curbed singing too strongly.

I think my I putting this up, no one should feel like they cannot put something up.

http://hotfile.com/dl/117273916/0c255e4/Geronimo_.wav.html

Blaze
05-09-2011, 06:34 PM
When I was doing it, I envisioned the "next forty minutes" would be filled with some form of guitar and instrument speak filling in for what is missing in visuals.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-09-2011, 06:50 PM
When I was doing it, I envisioned the "next forty minutes" would be filled with some form of :smiley-sniffer::doggystyle::stoned-smiley:

makes sense :baaa:

Nitro Express
05-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Paris' labia is looser than sleeve of wizard.

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Heh....that's pretty fucking loose, lol.

Ok Blaze...not 40 minutes, but there is gonna be some more room in this thang.

Scuse me guys for taking the helm on the arrangement, but it is such a cool idea.

Not only am I fixing the kick drum in 2 parts, but I am adding 12 bars in the midst so we can have The Party. Then the double-kick shuffle solos will kick off and the song will end just like it did in the original version.

The Party is where we can insert the wav files of all of us getting ripped. VH always had some kinda ad-libbing going on, so this is gonna be where we can have some fun. And like I said, it will be where the non-musicians and non-vocalists can cuntribute. Should be done wit the new and improved drum track (now with miracle product X-19!) in a few, then I am gonna re-track scratch bass and rhythm guitars.

See Craig, I am not a bassist. I am a guitarist who can play bass. Much like I am not a singer, I just am a guitarist who can sing.

A real bassist can play the low-down stuff, but can do all kinds of off-the-cuff bass licks and tricks gleaned from years of just playing bass.

Michael Anthony is THE GOD of Hi-Energry Hard Rock Show Bass Improvisational Ass Kicking.

I can play the occasional cool thing, but mostly I just do enough to get the point across.

And, it also keeps me in the mode of "serving the song".

Will post again in awhile with an update.

jhale667
05-09-2011, 09:07 PM
First of all, Paris, not so much - and those are NOT the kind of shoes I'm talking about. :hee: Just so we're clear:

http://www.niccishoes.com/shoeshop/images/P/skull.jpg

I have a thing for girls in stripper shoes. There, I said it. :lmao:

Heh....that's pretty fucking loose, lol.

Ok Blaze...not 40 minutes, but there is gonna be some more room in this thang.

Scuse me guys for taking the helm on the arrangement, but it is such a cool idea.

Not only am I fixing the kick drum in 2 parts, but I am adding 12 bars in the midst so we can have The Party. Then the double-kick shuffle solos will kick off and the song will end just like it did in the original version.

The Party is where we can insert the wav files of all of us getting ripped. VH always had some kinda ad-libbing going on, so this is gonna be where we can have some fun. And like I said, it will be where the non-musicians and non-vocalists can cuntribute. Should be done wit the new and improved drum track (now with miracle product X-19!) in a few, then I am gonna re-track scratch bass and rhythm guitars.

See Craig, I am not a bassist. I am a guitarist who can play bass. Much like I am not a singer, I just am a guitarist who can sing.

A real bassist can play the low-down stuff, but can do all kinds of off-the-cuff bass licks and tricks gleaned from years of just playing bass.

Michael Anthony is THE GOD of Hi-Energry Hard Rock Show Bass Improvisational Ass Kicking.

I can play the occasional cool thing, but mostly I just do enough to get the point across.

And, it also keeps me in the mode of "serving the song".

Will post again in awhile with an update.

Can't wait to hear this! :baaa:

kwame k
05-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Here Kwame, this is for you! :D

http://i54.tinypic.com/14d2avo.gif

I resent that.....there was only one time and since then, I use duct tape :o

kwame k
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM

I fucking edited that post to include "parts not pants"......forgot to post it, shut my laptop and lost the edit!

Dan
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Cow-Bells,How Rude.:D

Ok DJ,Add Me To The List.:D

Dan
05-09-2011, 10:11 PM
You Better Keep Your Pants On,
If You Want To Hear This Song.
Dont Want To See Your Ding Dong
Hanging From Your Thong.

Stop Smoking That Bong
Holy shit,It's king kong
Singing This Song
It's Not Going To Take Long
Have faith in me Brother
And stay strong

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 12:10 AM
I resent that.....there was only one time and since then, I use duct tape :o

LMAO!

Done with v2.0. Am uploading to Hotfile now. Will post again in about 90 minutes.

VanHalener
05-10-2011, 12:17 AM
I have not been paying attention in class, sorry.
So when & where can I jam some vocals. I'll give it my best and I'll fooking tear that shite a new arsehole!

Fuck An A

~It's a Long Way to the Top~
:hitch:

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Ok. V2.0 here:

http://hotfile.com/dl/117321486/7542e00/Roth_On_V2.0.zip.html

As I posted above, I added some space in the middle of the song. Though I am not satisfied with the transition from that space to the double-kick solo section. But, the space is there so Kwame can take care of that. Or DJ, or Chef, or whoever. The thought in my head was the space is for The Party, but as the song goes on, the Party begins to get louder and louder, then suddenly some event, musical or party-wise occurs that kicks off the guitar solos.

But that is just my take on it. Just looking at it as a piece of music, the original version blasted along like a rocket sled. The space that is there now ruins the momentum, so to speak, but again, I put it there so others can make their contribution. And, I wanted it to have a change in dynamics. Kick fucking ass out of the gate, then take a breather, grab some booze, smoke some dope, make a play for the nearest hottie, then it's SHOW TIME!

Whatever. Up to you guys to take it further on down the road now. Once Kwame does his drum part, then you can load the mp3 up in a taxi and send it to my doorstep. I will smack it around a bit, get it drunk, add my guitar part, ship it back to DJ and once we have the music in some kind of rough assemblage, then we can think about lyrics, vocals, etc.

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Right on HR. Downloading it right now....

As for Chef. Recording to cassette and then dumping it into the computer may cause an issue with timeline, as a motorized player will never replay at exactly the same speed twice, thus having to splice the bass into many pieces to synchronize to the drums can be very laborious.
To use the Fostex as a basic hookup/interface to your sound card and record to digital in real time would guarantee true timeline (that is, if you're playing along to the wave mixdown of the drums in your computer). No need to worry about miking a cab, if you don't want to. I can always add different cab and mic.
combinations it post via Recabinet™ ) . :baaa:
As for tracking bass after HR's rhythm's, that works too. Do your tracks and send me the full waves via Yousendit.
Note : If there's multiple files, label them in detail and "zip" them for transfering online.

Kwame, the more mics./ tracks you use, the better. ;)

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 03:46 AM
I can see it now.......... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/KwameKavatargif.gif

jhale667
05-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I can see it now.......... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/KwameKavatargif.gif

:lol: Can't download the tune at the office, but anxious to hear it!

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Feel free to deconstruct/reconstruct the arrangement. If you think it needs longer sections, or shorter, or that middle section needs to go, whatever, just go for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/KwameKavatargif.gif

chefcraig
05-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it needs just a bit of tweaking to my ear, and I'm sure the guitarists will wish to lengthen parts here and there for their solos. I'm glad my part goes near the end, so this can all be settled when I go to track. :biggrin:

Dug out the Fostex last evening, but didn't have time for a test. Will try a trial run with the latest download (hopefully) this evening.

Still debating about taking the bass straight in to the recorder and out to the computer. By using the amp and an "open air" recording, I could add natural echo by recording in the garage or a bathroom, and I could set the sound as I'd like it. Then again, I could always go direct and have Dj add effects after the fact. It's a coin flip at this point.

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Best to get the tone you want and record it dry. That way you can adjust FX later. You can always ask DJ to make it sound more green, or add some decibels to the megahertz at 90k or whatever. :D

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Exactly. Capturing your tone is the primary objective.
As for solo's/ rhythm tracks, all should be recorded try. This will help in keeping the mix between players consistent. I can taylor individual delays as requested...

A shot of my sonic dungeon...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/DJssonicdungeon.jpg

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Diamondjimi - gtr
Jhale - gtr
Sesh - gtr
Coyote - gtr
Hardrock69 - gtr - bass?- vocals???
Etienne- gtr
Standin/Blaze/Julia/Oolith- lyrics/vocals?
Chefcraig ?- Bass
Kwame K - Drums
Dan - Cowbell & Pants

Are we missing anyone?

VAiN
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Are we missing anyone?

I seem to have gotten bumped... Although, I don't see the need for a 7th guitar in there... I can be on standby in case anyone loses a finger or something...

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I seem to have gotten bumped... Although, I don't see the need for a 7th guitar in there... I can be on standby in case anyone loses a finger or something...

we're gonna need plenty-o-axe men/women for this 10 song cd release!!!!!!!

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I will do rhythm guitar. Two tracks. Leave the rest to everone else. I like to do two rhythm tracks and pan them left and right. Leaves more room in the middle for other stuff.

Nice console there, DJ. I just have my VS-1680, and it only has 2 XLR inputs, with Hi-Z inputs for the other 6.

But then there is my virtual Reaper console on my PC, lol.

Blaze
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Exactly. Capturing your tone is the primary objective.
As for solo's/ rhythm tracks, all should be recorded try. This will help in keeping the mix between players consistent. I can taylor individual delays as requested...

A shot of my sonic dungeon...

That's very tasteful. :)

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Sorry about that dude, I copied and pasted that list. I believe I included you on another one.

You should be added. There's plenty of room on the bus! ;)

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Ha...Max Webster....highly underrated. And the Maxell Tape ad. Groovy!

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Ha...Max Webster....highly underrated. And the Maxell Tape ad. Groovy!

Max ruled, back in the day. Hugely under rated. That's an original poster from '76. I met up with Pye Dubois (band lyricist) @ a Max reunion show back in the 90's and he got the band to sign it for me. Pye is a total freak, right out of the 60's.
Told me he still lives comfortable off the cheques he still gets for writing Tom Sawyer for/with Rush.

And the Maxell plaque poster I got for 2 bucks at a garage sale... (score) :baaa:

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Saw Max once, opening for Rush in the mid-80s. My roommate turned me onto him. Shoulda been much more famous than he was.

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Saw Max once, opening for Rush in the mid-80s. My roommate turned me onto him. Shoulda been much more famous than he was.

Agreed, But the singers name is Kim Mitchell. Max Webster is a fictional name they came up with.
Kim;s been a shit-hot smokin player right out of the gate. Max was way ahead of their time....

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Duh. You'r right. Had forgotten. Shoulda been way more famous than THEY were. There....howzat? :D

"And by the way, which one's Pink?"

"Wait til I get my hands on that Mr. Halen guy. What's his name? Van?"

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 03:10 PM

chefcraig
05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, I've been at it for the past three hours (ever since I got home this afternoon) trying to get things to work. I ran a line from my bass to both the microphone input at the front of my computer, as well as the one at the back. I can hear the instrument from both inputs via the computer speakers (and according to the computer's settings, which included a level meter, the sound is getting through), yet I keep getting an error message from Audacity (the service I downloaded in order to record with, as it was supposed to be simple :umm:) stating "error while opening sound device. Please check input and project sample rate".

Even after following instructions from a Google search into the quoted phrase, I still can not record anything. Any suggestions?

Dan
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=chefcraig;1540846]Well, I've been at it for the past three hours (ever since I got home this afternoon) trying to get my thing to work.[QUOTE]

How Very Rude.:D

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, I've been at it for the past three hours (ever since I got home this afternoon) trying to get things to work. I ran a line from my bass to both the microphone input at the front of my computer, as well as the one at the back. I can hear the instrument from both inputs via the computer speakers (and according to the computer's settings, which included a level meter, the sound is getting through), yet I keep getting an error message from Audacity (the service I downloaded in order to record with, as it was supposed to be simple :umm:) stating "error while opening sound device. Please check input and project sample rate".

Even after following instructions from a Google search into the quoted phrase, I still can not record anything. Any suggestions?

scotch :gulp:

Dan
05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
And PRON.:D

jhale667
05-10-2011, 10:07 PM

Um...yeah? This seems like the cheapest way to go...not free, but for a hunski you can join the digital age... ;)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/5/6/7/746567.jpg

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Pro-Tools-Recording-Studio?sku=H09959

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/6/7/746567.jpg

chefcraig
05-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Not for nuthin', but I just spent $4,700 that I do not have insuring this house for the hurricane season. A hundred bucks may seem easy to some folks, but not to me. Hence my efforts toward going as cheaply as possible. And currently, to me, a hundred bucks is a great deal of money. :ashamed:

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Have you gone into Audacity's properties and selected your soundcard as it primary audio device?
Chef, I can possibly zip a copy of Adobe Audition software to ya if Audacity is not working for you...

jhale667
05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Not for nuthin', but I just spent $4,700 that I do not have insuring this house for the hurricane season. A hundred bucks may seem easy to some folks, but not to me. Hence my efforts toward going as cheaply as possible. And currently, to me, a hundred bucks is a great deal of money. :ashamed:

Totally understand, my apologies. I was just throwin' out a suggestion. :ashamed:

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Hey, Reaper. Free to download. IF you decide to buy, 40 bucks. File download is only about 5 or 6 megabytes.
All the functionality of ProTools. Full functionality that does not expire even when the trial period of 30 days is over.
Howzat for cheap?

Sorry if I go on and on about it. Can't beat it. Not with PT (though that package is pretty sweet...99 bucks includes interface), not with Audacity, not with Nuendo. *rant...rave...drool*

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Fair pricing
There is only one version of REAPER. We offer two licenses, depending on how you use it.

$150: full commercial license.
$40: discounted license.

(HR69 Note: Though when Reaper v4.0 is released (due at any moment), the discount license will increase to 60 bucks, and I think the full commercial license will be about 200 or so.) But buying a license entitles you to full legal access to the current version AND the next version (including all upgrades).

You may use the discounted license if any of the following is true:

You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use.
You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000.
You are an educational or non-profit organization.

Buy REAPER here.

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

What You Get
There's only one version of REAPER. One complete, solid, full-featured digital audio workstation.

Your one-user, full-use license includes up to two major version numbers worth of REAPER's famous frequent upgrades.

A REAPER 1.0 license could have included over 250 upgrades!

Purchasing a license now includes upgrades through REAPER 4.99. (HR69 Note: The current version is 3.76....if you wait until v4 comes out, you will be entitled to all of versions 4 AND 5.)

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
What kind of sound card do you have in your computer Chef? And what OS?

Blaze
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey, I downloaded 2.0 :baaa: Hardrock

I just looked at Audacity, I bet this is the issue....
Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not supported in Audacity 1.2.6. Please use Audacity Beta for these operating systems.

Could that be it, Chef?

I'll download both and check them when I get home.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Blaze
05-12-2011, 02:34 AM
I took a sample while out......

I have sad news.

The mass said 2.0 was too dirty.

I said but but it is a party.

The mass said...

And I quote, our lives do not reflect party.
What do we have to celebrate?
The death of one man?

Just reporting~

Hmmmm...

Diamondjimi
05-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Ok, no more posting for you after midnight , Julia....

Stay on topic in this thread or take the jibbering to chat.

That is all....

jhale667
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Ok, no more posting for you after midnight , Julia....

Stay on topic in this thread or take the jibbering to chat.

That is all....

Agreed.

Oh and btw...THIS kicks ASS...I wanna come visit. :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Anytime! :baaa:

Kristy
05-12-2011, 09:57 PM

God damn you. That just made me barf.

lesfunk
05-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I know. I find her knees to be ugly too.

jhale667
05-13-2011, 12:23 AM
God damn you. That just made me barf.

She said, as she re-posted said barf-inducing photo...:lmao:

Blaze
05-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Chef, did you get a program that worked for you?

I have downloaded all the programs mentioned so far. If you have it fixed, I have no reason to do that specific geek work soon. I would like to know what you went with. If you got Audacity working, I would like to know what you think of it.

:)

Hardrock69
05-13-2011, 01:51 AM
HA!

Just one more thing that pisses Kristy off....

And now she wants God to DAMN me!!!

Hi Kristy!

:tongue0011:

Diamondjimi
05-13-2011, 03:33 AM

Diamondjimi
05-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Looks like the dude behind her caught a whiff. :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
05-13-2011, 03:35 AM
Anyway, back on topic again. Any updates yet Chef?

chefcraig
05-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I've been overwhelmingly swamped at work this week, so hopefully I'll have time this weekend.

jhale667
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
I've been overwhelmingly swamped at work this week, so hopefully I'll have time this weekend.

Same here. I have to try to bounce a couple of my own tunes down to stereo WAVs for the the project I'm working on, but I'm going to try to throw down a VH-inspired riff/arrangement to toss into the ring...or at least get started on one.

kwame k
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Went through my inventory of recording equipment...........lost/divorce my mics and audio interface. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-MultiMix-8-USB-2-0-8-Channel-Mixer-801473-i1322417.gc

I'm liking the idea of having a board that also is your interface.......seems easier!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-DMK-7-Drum-Mic-Package-277246-i1127201.gc

Nady makes reliable mics and never had a problem with them in the past.

I still have my ADAT, outboard FX's, mixing/recording console, mastering deck and EQ but I'm liking the simplistic setup I'm going to buy. Any thoughts, guys?

Studio is already built and [hopefully] by the end of the month I'll be up and running.

Seshmeister
05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
That link isn't working for me but be careful about which Alesis Multimix you buy.

I had the old USB one and you couldn't record more than 1 stereo channel individually at a time, it dumps all the input into one track.

Sold it on eBay a few months back.

Hardrock69
05-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Hell, a damn Tascam 2488 is only 799 these days. Stand alone units are great for tracking, as that is all they are meant to do. Then you can export your tracks into your DAW for use with plugins, etc. for mixdown. Just a thought.

kwame k
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info Sesh!

HR, I was looking into those but I still have my ADAT, so I do have a stand alone and would still need an audio interface to get into the computer, anyways.

kwame k
05-18-2011, 10:01 AM
That link isn't working for me but be careful about which Alesis Multimix you buy.

I had the old USB one and you couldn't record more than 1 stereo channel individually at a time, it dumps all the input into one track.

Sold it on eBay a few months back.

Here's the stats on this one, Sesh.......

The MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 is a compact tabletop mixer providing USB 2.0 technology for ultra-fast, low-latency, 24—bit/44.1—96kHz (with high-end A/D and D/A conversion) multichannel audio recording straight to your computer. Designed with low-noise analog electronics, it lets users take advantage of 100 studio-grade 28-bit digital effects.

It sends 10 signals via USB 2.0: each of the eight input tracks, plus the left and right channels of the final stereo mix. You can record all eight inputs plus the main mix, which can be recorded with effects.

If you want to bring external audio sources into a recording or live mix, you can do it in several different ways. Using the 2-Track In (RCA), you can
add a tape deck, ADAT, CD player or other source to the mix. The 2-Track In also can be used to entertain the audience with a CD as the band is setting up for a live show. The Aux Returns
can be used as additional audio inputs when you are not using them for effects.

Hardrock69
05-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Right on, man. Hope it all works out. Hope the thing works as advertised.

Diamondjimi
05-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Right on, man. Hope it all works out. Hope the thing works as advertised.

Ditto. Looking forward to getting things a rollin.

jhale667
05-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I started working on a riff, but it's quickly evolved into something decidedly non-VH, so think I'm keeping it...:lmao: Back to the drawing board...

VanHalener
05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Walked into a bar called Sully's one night and heard the lead singer of a good Van Halen, the Real Van Halen, cover band say the next song is the last. I shouted out something like "Fuck That! I just got here!"
Those mofos looked my way and played four or five more. The band was tight! Kick ass, actually. The only problem was I slammed to cold ones and joined the lead vocalist in a Van Halen salute.
I was the lead singer in the back row, and the musicians enjoyed it, but the lead singer was in my dust while I was

Getting

The

Flock

D
O
W
N
!

~That is all~

Diamondjimi
05-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Thanks for sharing....

VanHalener
05-24-2011, 09:14 AM
LMAO, you're welcome. ;)

Just sayin' I got the pipes.
Show

Me

The

Lyrics

And

Music

And I'll scratch up a vocal demo for the Roth Army Album. :)

jhale667
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
STILL slammed with work, and it's reeeeeally slow going getting drum and bass tracks down on my own tunes at the moment, but - I will again try to put something down this weekend, the extra day off may help...

kwame k
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I'm on a 60 hour work week and it's only Noon on Friday:(

PETE'S BROTHER
05-27-2011, 12:29 PM
take your time, no pressure.

is it done yet?:tongue0011:

jhale667
05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Dickering around with riffs today.... Ever tried to sit down and write a specific VH-inpsired-but-not-shameless-ripoff riff? Harder than it sounds! Anybody else come up with anything yet?

Hardrock69
05-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Just latch onto one aspect of VH for inspiration. That is what I did. Alex's double-kick shuffle. Then, if you are in the zone, the rest of the tune should write itself.

But then, I was in the zone. ;)

jhale667
05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Hmm...probably won't be getting in the zone until next week at this rate. :lol:

ThrillsNSpills
05-30-2011, 08:05 PM
HR's got one, right?

Are you trying to do a B section?

jhale667
05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
HR's got one, right?

Are you trying to do a B section?

Actually, was just listening to his again...might try to drop a lead over the key change section? It's already almost 5 minutes long, probably doesn't need any more parts...might be interesting to double the rhythm track too?

PETE'S BROTHER
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
ooooooh, :appl: keep it rollin'

Hardrock69
06-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Whatever you wanna do with it go for it. I am going to revise it a bit eventually anyway and include it on my next album. But you can butcher what I have recorded so far to your heart's content. :biggrin:

Diamondjimi
06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Any word on any drums being recorded ? Kwame?

jhale667
06-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Any word on any drums being recorded ? Kwame?

Oh, the irony of checking this thread and finding the last post - with the exception of the word "Kwame" - was pretty much word-for-word what I just emailed someone about my own tunes...:lmao:

Wasn't Kwame pulling 60-hour work weeks lately? If that's still the case, doubting it... we all are pretty busy with work/life stuff, so we're also going to have to be equally patient with each other. Having said that, I will again try to slam something down on HR's tune this weekend if I get a chance...

rocknrolldork
08-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Did this ever get completed? I was looking forward to hearing it.

jhale667
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not getting anything done for a bit...major hardware issues with the recording computer will have me sidetracked for at least the next two months. :(

chefcraig
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I had to sell my bass for crack.