X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carloscda
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2009

Santorum: McCain Doesn't Understand Interrogation

WASHINGTON -- Former Sen. Rick Santorum said Tuesday that Sen. John McCain, who spent 5 1/2 years enduring brutal treatment at the hands of his North Vietnamese captors, doesn't know how effective waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques can be. The Republican presidential contender insisted the tactics led the United States to al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

McCain, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a speech last week that waterboarding al-Qaida's No. 3 leader, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, did not provide information that led to bin Laden's compound in Pakistan.

McCain said he asked CIA Director Leon Panetta for the facts, and that the hunt for bin Laden did not begin with fresh information from Mohammed. In fact, the name of bin Laden's courier, Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti, came from a detainee held in another country.

"Not only did the use of enhanced interrogation techniques on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed not provide us with key leads on bin Laden's courier, Abu Ahmed, it actually produced false and misleading information," McCain said.

In an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt on Tuesday, Santorum said McCain was wrong.

"Everything I've read shows that we would not have gotten this information as to who this man was if it had not been gotten information from people who were subject to enhanced interrogation," Santorum said. "And so this idea that we didn't ask that question while Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was being waterboarded, he (McCain) doesn't understand how enhanced interrogation works.

"I mean, you break somebody, and after they're broken, they become cooperative. And that's when we got this information. And one thing led to another, and led to another, and that's how we ended up with bin Laden," said Santorum.

He added: "Maybe McCain has better information than I do, but from what I've seen, it seems pretty clear that but for these cooperative witnesses who were cooperative as a result of enhanced interrogations, we would not have gotten bin Laden."

McCain, the 2008 Republican president nominee, said his information came from Panetta. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the chairwoman of the Senate intelligence committee, backed up McCain's assessment that waterboarding of Mohammed did not produce the tip that led to bin Laden.

Brooke Buchanan, a spokeswoman for McCain, said Tuesday she would not dignify Santorum's comments with a response.
  • lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Apparently The Comfy Chair was the last resort
    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

When you run surges of 30,000 volts through someone's balls using a set of jumper cables and then tease their back with an arc welder, you can get them to admit or say anything. It works with the gimp I've had locked up in the barn for the last five years.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Switch84
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

To say McCain doesn't know about the effectiveness of torture was dumb, to say the least. I'm no JMac fan, but I think he knows what he's talking about when he spoke on this issue.
        "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
        Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Romans who knew a fucking lot about brutality and hurting people did not allow evidence gained from torture even of slaves in their trials because it doesn't work. That's even ignoring that with islamists for every one you torture you create another 1000.

Why is this even being debated in the 21st century?

This Sanatorium prick is a clueless sadistic psychopath.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I would guess that John McCain "understands interrogation" better than anyone else in the entire fucking senate. Maybe he should treat Man On Dog Santorum to a little Hanoi style hospitality and then see what the little whiny Opus Dei fetus collecting bitch has to say about it?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

There's a reason why Santorum is a term for a disgusting mixture of shit and sperm resulting from anal sex/rape....

Rick Santorum KNOWS torture!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                The Romans who knew a fucking lot about brutality and hurting people did not allow evidence gained from torture even of slaves in their trials because it doesn't work. That's even ignoring that with islamists for every one you torture you create another 1000.

Why is this even being debated in the 21st century?
                "for every one you torture you create another 1000" = absolutely ridiculous.

People are really fucking naive if they think we've quit using "intensive interrogation techniques." And yes, Sesh, the Brits use it too.

We'll never know to what extent of course (which is the way it should be), but waterboarding supposedly helped lead the CIA to bin Laden.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Uh-uh, 'fraid not. You can not rationalize the means simply by the result. This is more or less like saying that it's a good thing WWII happened, otherwise the world would never have been graced with Silly Putty.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Switch84
                    To say McCain doesn't know about the effectiveness of torture was dumb, to say the least. I'm no JMac fan, but I think he knows what he's talking about when he spoke on this issue.

No shit dude. Call McCain out on everything under the sun......except this subject. Dude has lived it. Not only is it a ridiculous thing to say, but extremely stupid, ignorant, & uncalled for. Very low blow and so far from accurate that it doesn't even make sense.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      Uh-uh, 'fraid not.
                      Bullshit! With a capital B. Afraid so....

You can not rationalize the means simply by the result.
                      Sure I can. Do you expect these terrorist fucks to talk by being fucking namby-pamby with them? Well do you?
                      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

As another who hath Himself been tortured, I can tell you it does not work, and verily one who is being tortured will not speaketh the truth, but will say whatever his tormentor wants to hear in order to end his pain.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                          Sure I can. Do you expect these terrorist fucks to talk by being fucking namby-pamby with them? Well do you?
                          Oh, by all means they will speak. Hell, you can even get them to sing a Lynyrd Skynyrd song if you torture them long enough. But who is to say what comes out of their mouths has any viable resemblance to the truth, considering the idea that they'd be willing to say anything to get it to stop? Torture doesn't work, and is a preposterously unreliable method of information gathering.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                            Uh-uh, 'fraid not. You can not rationalize the means simply by the result. This is more or less like saying that it's a good thing WWII happened, otherwise the world would never have been graced with Silly Putty.

I always wanted that stuff as a kid and my mom never would let me have any. I think she was afraid it would get into the carpet or something. It just popped into my mind I've never owned any Silly Putty ever. I might go out and buy some just to say I finally have done it. Then give it to my kids so they can drive my wife nuts with it.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• lesfunk
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

silly putty is awesome until it gets full of crumbs and pet hair. then not so much
                              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

Working...