"Grease" actor Jeff Conaway critical after overdose...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

"Grease" actor Jeff Conaway critical after overdose...

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Jeff Conaway, former star of the film "Grease" and the 1970s TV series "Taxi" has been hospitalized due to an apparent overdose of painkillers.

Conaway's manager Phil Brock said on Thursday the actor was in "critical but stable condition" at a Los Angeles area hospital and was "unconscious and unresponsive".

The 60-year-old actor, who has a history of addiction to cocaine, alcohol and prescription painkillers, was found unconscious at his home last week by a friend and may have been there for about 10 hours before being discovered.

Conway has yet to come to although he did turn his head briefly last Sunday, Brock said.

Brock said the actor was suffering from pneumonia and was already sick at the time of the overdose.

Conaway's troubles with addiction were documented in 2008 on the TV series "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew".

Brock said that prior to the overdose, his client "had been despondent in the last two months due to a girlfriend situation, but a week and a half ago he was much more upbeat."

Conaway was also recovering from back surgery, which hindered his ability to stand. But he recently made an appearance at an autograph show in southern California where he was able to stand and interact with fans.

"That was a positive point for him," said Brock.

Brock, who had advised his client against appearing on reality shows, said Conaway had a rough childhood.

"When he was 7 years old, his grand-mother let him taste the moonshine she made in her bathtub; when he was 10 and a child actor, his dad took all his money and ran away. Later, Jeff had a the world in his hand and would find ways to destroy it," Brock told Reuters.

Brock said that in the last month, Conaway's "Grease" co-star John Travolta offered to pay for the troubled actor to go to rehab.

"Jeff wasn't opposed to it, but he wasn't ready yet," said Brock.

Brock said that since the news of Conaway's hospitalization, his office has been flooded with calls from the actor's childhood and high school friends, offering well wishes.

"Putting aside his demons, Jeff is the nicest, kindest, gentlest soul," said Brock. "He's a wonderful man, which makes it doubly sad that he is unable to conquer drugs. As a human being, he's the person who'd literally give the shirt off his back for someone. In our office, having worked with him for 8 yeas, we hope and pray for his recovery."

(Reporting by Zorianna Kit; Editing by Jill Serjeant)
    Explore Related Content

LINK
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • SunisinuS
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • May 2010

Yea I feel bad for that Cat. He always had that sweet on the edge type of Jerk thing about him. Steve Martin just got over it. Sigh. Hope he lives to see another day with full faculties.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

I liked him in Grease & Taxi. But he was stuck as Kanicky from Grease. He thought he really was that guy and never broke free from it. A couple of the girls from that movie are still stuck & think they are Pink Ladies to this day.

I wish Jeff the best, but he has been in a coma for a week already? I'm afraid if he does come out of this, given his advanced age and already deteriorated mind, there won't be much left to him.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I knew he was an actor but never knew what movies and shows he was in. I just know him from that celebrity rehab show. Addiction is a weird disease. Some people just need that escape so bad they never can beat it. Acting with all it's ups and down and the whole image mind fuck plays it's toll on so many in that business.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Sometimes these people are their own worst enemies. It's like watching Bobby Wheeler have a meltdown....
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

Originally posted by sadaist
            I liked him in Grease & Taxi. But he was stuck as Kanicky from Grease. He thought he really was that guy and never broke free from it. A couple of the girls from that movie are still stuck & think they are Pink Ladies to this day.

I wish Jeff the best, but he has been in a coma for a week already? I'm afraid if he does come out of this, given his advanced age and already deteriorated mind, there won't be much left to him.

I never watched Grease....hope that does me make me anti-gay....but Sound of Music was as about as far as I got into musicals. I am sure that they are kewl.....just un-informed I am sure. Sound of Music I can sing every song.
            Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-20-2011, 02:01 AM. Reason: I like "Concept Albums" though. Maybe my problem is "Maria" hehe. /shrug
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              I knew he was an actor but never knew what movies and shows he was in.

Well, other than 2 roles he hasn't really done anything. The TV series Taxi he was in, but the main thing he is known for is Grease. He was basically the 2nd in command of the gang behind John Travolta. But honestly I can think of nothing else he was ever in besides those 2.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Drug abuse equals death. Some kill you quick and some kill you slow. Some just a little too much and you are gone. Drugs are a lot of fun but they are no different than jumping a bunch of buses on a motorcycle or cliff diving. It's hardcore entertainment and it may kill you.

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                  I never watched Grease....hope that does me make me anti-gay....
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• SunisinuS
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by lesfunk

Lol Sorry I just don't get it......my bad.

I mean Cheerleaders and Grandstands?

Sorry and Westside Story..... Dang....I am sorry. I just don't get it. I fail.
                    Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-20-2011, 02:14 AM. Reason: Wait...Wizard of Oz was kewl though.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      Well, other than 2 roles he hasn't really done anything. The TV series Taxi he was in, but the main thing he is known for is Grease. He was basically the 2nd in command of the gang behind John Travolta. But honestly I can think of nothing else he was ever in besides those 2.
                      i think he was in Jawbreaker, one of the girls' fathers. not a real big part.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

There is some funny innuendo in Grease. It always cracks me up when Travolta is singing at the drive in movie theater and right when he finishes the song and goes, "Oh Sandy." the hot dog jumps into the bun on the screen.

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

I wanted to fuck Rizzo. You just know that bitch took it in the arse & swallowed.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

It's always sad to read about stuff like this. Guess some people can't conquer their demons.
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Taxi was great, but it really was an ensemble effort. To me, this ranks as one of the finest scenes ever.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...