PDA

View Full Version : Ever see something that makes you go re-learn a riff?

jhale667
06-04-2011, 11:10 PM
This caught my attention in the Duncan forums and figured I'd share it here...this dude is playing a plywood (insert Fail joke here) Squier Strat with a humbucker through a Marshall Plexi-clone kit build, and never mind the part where he's playing "Unchained" (cool as it is) but what made me re-examine the way I was playing it was "Dirty Movies" - except for Ed's funky pick-scrapes, the dude is nailing it...it's all in the hands, people! :lmao: But yeah, felt compelled to re-learn the riff AND the slide part...good times! :appl:

sadaist
06-05-2011, 12:14 AM
I can't get my pinky finger to obey me. Therefore, I can't play this stuff :(

jhale667
06-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, SO glad my first teacher stressed using your pinky. He was like "You've got four fingers, USE them." I had a particular need to learn to use mine especially to bend strings, because as a kid when I started playing at 14 it was right after I'd gotten my ring-finger on my left hand bent backwards accidentally acting like an idiot with one of my friends. It was weak as a kitten for like 3 or 4 years, pretty much better these days, but I can still stretch way far with my 4th finger and bend notes as sharp as some can with their 3rd...necessity breeding ability maybe...:umm:

Nitro Express
06-05-2011, 01:49 AM
This caught my attention in the Duncan forums and figured I'd share it here...this dude is playing a plywood (insert Fail joke here) Squier Strat with a humbucker through a Marshall Plexi-clone kit build, and never mind the part where he's playing "Unchained" (cool as it is) but what made me re-examine the way I was playing it was "Dirty Movies" - except for Ed's funky pick-scrapes, the dude is nailing it...it's all in the hands, people! :lmao: But yeah, felt compelled to re-learn the riff AND the slide part...good times! :appl:

What kind of Duncan pickup was he using? He was getting that midrange vibe quite well. A guy that builds guitars told me high quality plywood can actually be more consistant that solid wood. He said there are plywood bodies that sound very good.

jhale667
06-05-2011, 02:47 AM
According to the original thread I found it in, it's a Hohner pickup out of an even crappier guitar...imagine what that WOULD sound like with say, an Ash body and a Duncan 59 or Custom fer cryin' out loud! :D

Reminds me of somebody's sig over there "Some of the best recordings of all time were made on worse gear than you own today..." :hitch:

Etienne
06-05-2011, 11:36 AM
The plexi beside the bed like an alarm clock... This guy can play these tunes - is an exception, most youtube guys can't play so accurate and sound good...

jhale667
06-05-2011, 02:14 PM
The plexi beside the bed like an alarm clock... This guy can play these tunes - is an exception, most youtube guys can't play so accurate and sound good...

Yeah, and I also posted this on my Facebook page, and one of my guitar buddies I've known since my teens responds "That amp sounds great, but that guitar sounds like a wet rag..." :lol:

Hardrock69
06-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Gotta agree. Guitar sounds like crap, but that amp has "The Grind".

ThrillsNSpills
06-06-2011, 12:13 PM
According to the original thread I found it in, it's a Hohner pickup out of an even crappier guitar...imagine what that WOULD sound like with say, an Ash body and a Duncan 59 or Custom fer cryin' out loud! :D

Reminds me of somebody's sig over there "Some of the best recordings of all time were made on worse gear than you own today..." :hitch:

With regard to the first question, Roland Chayer's latest mix made me go learn the hybrid riff at the end he created from 3 or 4 sources. I thought that was badass and wondered how great that would be as a complete tune.

Inspiration and gear is always interesting as we tend to want to pidgeonhole things and find a formula but like marketing, trial and error usually is a better strategy because you can limit yourself if you have just one strategy.
I've come up with so much stuff from a laughable steinberger copy with cheap emgs due to the fact that in the rig I had at the time the sustain and balls were just crazy. Chemistry between elements like guitar, signal path, chops of course, and amp is always shocking, even moreso when experimenting just makes you go in different directions. We're habit creatures so it's very easy to forget things like that.

Are we programmed to want to see things as cut and dried rather than the multitude of variables and options available? If there is a formula for getting into state where the whole piece writes itself and you're there in motion but not thinking while the whole thing just comes together, I'd love to know it.
You got me rambing Jay, but it's always a fascinating process, even if I feel like pawn and something else is writing through me on the best tracks.

hope this makes sense, I still don't understand it. :)

ThrillsNSpills
06-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Great clip though, that's for sure.

Diamondjimi
06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Cool to see someone in Youtube land pull off the Dirty Movies riff. Sheesh, you can only stomach Panama & Ain't Talkin 'bout Love played half assed for so long...:biggrin:

Often wondered about these Plexi kits....