PDA

View Full Version : Mark Halperin Suspended from MSNBC For Obama 'Dick' Comment

Va Beach VH Fan
06-30-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/mark-halperin-calls-obama-a-dick_n_887604.html

Mark Halperin has been suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for calling President Obama a "dick" live on air.

The suspension came just hours after Halperin, a top editor for Time and a regular on "Morning Joe," profusely apologized for the remark, which came during Thursday's "Morning Joe" broadcast.

MSNBC's statement read:

Mark Halperin's comments this morning were completely inappropriate and unacceptable. We apologize to the President, The White House and all of our viewers. We strive for a high level of discourse and comments like these have no place on our air. Therefore, Mark will be suspended indefinitely from his role as an analyst.
Halperin also issued a statement:

I completely agree with everything in MSNBC’s statement about my remark. I believe that the step they are taking in response is totally appropriate. Again, I want to offer a heartfelt and profound apology to the President, to my MSNBC colleagues, and to the viewers. My remark was unacceptable, and I deeply regret it.
Time magazine, where Halperin is Editor-At-Large, issued a statement of its own, saying it had warned Halperin about the comments:

Mark Halperin’s comments on air this morning were inappropriate and in no way reflective of Time’s views. We have issued a warning to him that such behavior is unacceptable. Mark has appropriately apologized on air, via Twitter and on The Page.
The fracas even got a comment from White House Press Secretary Jay Carney (himself a former top editor at Time).

"The comment that was made was inappropriate," he said on Thursday. "It would be inappropriate to say that about any president of any party, and I expressed that to executives at the network. I have no comment on whatever action that network, or any network, or any newspaper might take."

Halperin's is the latest in a string of suspensions that MSNBC has issued over the past year. Most famously, the network suspended Keith Olbermann for undisclosed donations to Democratic candidates in the 2010 election. It also suspended Joe Scarborough for making undisclosed donations and, most recently, yanked host Ed Schultz for a week for calling radio host Laura Ingraham a "slut."

Halperin's gaffe came on Thursday, when he was commenting on Obama's Wednesday press conference. He first asked host Joe Scarborough, "Are we on the seven-second delay?" implying that he wanted to speak freely but not have his comments broadcast.

Scarborough and co-host Mika Brzezinski assured Halperin that he could speak freely and anticipated a controversial remark. Halperin said:

"I thought he was kind of a dick yesterday."

Scarborough was in disbelief over Halperin's comment and quickly directed his attention off-camera, saying, "Delay that. Delay that. What are you doing?"

Halperin apologized after the hosts realized that the show's new executive producer was not familiar with the seven-second delay button.

"Joking aside, this is an absolute apology. I shouldn't have said it. I apologize to the President and the viewers who heard me say that," Halperin said.

"We're going to have a meeting after the show," Scarborough said.

Scarborough also made light of the incident, telling his producer, “I would tell you what I think of him, but he doesn’t know what button to push."

Brzezinski actually made a similar slip of her own earlier this year, fumbling with the word "dip." The show earned a seven-second delay in 2008 when Scarborough used the f-word live on air.

<object width="560" height="300" id="AOLVP_1032266340001" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://o.aolcdn.com/videoplayer/AOL_PlayerLoader.swf"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="publisherid=1612833736&codever=1&videoid=1032266340001&stillurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdl%2Estream%2Eaol%2Ecom%2Fp dlext%2Faol%2Fbrightcove%2Faolmaster%2F1612833736% 2F1612833736%5F1032314998001%5Fari%2Dorigin29%2Dar c%2D143%2D1309443702257%2Ejpg%3FpubId%3D1612833736&playerid=61371448001"></param><embed src="http://o.aolcdn.com/videoplayer/AOL_PlayerLoader.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#000000" width="560" height="300" name="AOLVP_1032266340001" flashvars="publisherid=1612833736&codever=1&videoid=1032266340001&stillurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdl%2Estream%2Eaol%2Ecom%2Fp dlext%2Faol%2Fbrightcove%2Faolmaster%2F1612833736% 2F1612833736%5F1032314998001%5Fari%2Dorigin29%2Dar c%2D143%2D1309443702257%2Ejpg%3FpubId%3D1612833736&playerid=61371448001"></embed></object>

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I was going to post this but the damn place timed out on me.

I was also going say. I call Obama a dick everyday. Spot On Sir!

FORD
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
You can't say "dick" on TV now? :monekyl:censorship:monekyr:

I don't know the context of the statement, or why he was calling Obama a dick, but that's ridickulous, and seems to confirm what Markos Whateverhislastnameis said on Countdown 2.0 recently about Scarface having all the power at MSNBC these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHGPsz3T8U

Va Beach VH Fan
06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry, regardless of your personal opinion of the man, you do not call the President of the United States a dick.....

Especially if you're a paid political analyst....

And yes, I know Bush got his fair share of abuse as well.... But even Keith Olbermann didn't call him a dick, I believe the worst I heard him say towards Bush was to "go to hell"....

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry, regardless of your personal opinion of the man, you do not call the President of the United States a dick.....

Especially if you're a paid political analyst....

And yes, I know Bush got his fair share of abuse as well.... But even Keith Olbermann didn't call him a dick, I believe the worst I heard him say towards Bush was to "go to hell"....

If the shoe fits.............

I think it's fuckin classic. I voted for the dick I can call him that if I want after him not living up to my expectaions.

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
PMSNBC has suspened him now. Of course ....

MSNBC has suspended political analyst and Time magazine writer Mark Halperin indefinitely over a remark he made about President Obama Thursday morning.

"Mark Halperin's comments this morning were completely inappropriate and unacceptable," said MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines in a statement. "We apologize to the President, the White House and all of our viewers. We strive for a high level of discourse and comments like these have no place on our air."

Appearing on "Morning Joe" this morning, Halperin, senior political analyst at Time and MSNBC and co-author of the 2008 election opus "Game Change," sought to characterize the president's demeanor at a press briefing the previous day. You can watch the video below--though the term Halperin uses to characterize the president is vulgar, as the partial transcript after the jump will also show:

"Are we on the seven-second delay?" Halperin asked.

"We have it. We can use it. Go for it. Let's see what happens," co-anchor Joe Scarborough replied.

"I thought he was a dick yesterday," Halperin replied, sending the hosts into a brief moment of panic.

Halperin apologized later on in the show and issued his own mea culpa hours later via MSNBC.

"I completely agree with everything in MSNBC's statement about my remark," he said. "I believe that the step they are taking in response is totally appropriate. Again, I want to offer a heartfelt and profound apology to the President, to my MSNBC colleagues, and to the viewers. My remark was unacceptable, and I deeply regret it."

Halperin is the latest in a string of MSNBC suspensions this past year. Scarborough himself was suspended last November for violating the network's campaign contribution policy, as was Keith Olbermann, who left MSNBC several months later. More recently, Ed Schultz was suspended in May for calling pundit Laura Ingraham a "slut." And former MSNBC dayside host David Schuster also got a suspension in 2008 for complaining that Hillary Clinton had "pimped out" her daughter, Chelsea, on the presidential campaign trail.

UPDATE 12:30 pm: Time also has issued a statement reprimanding Halperin: "Mark Halperin's comments on air this morning were inappropriate and in no way reflective of TIME's views. We have issued a warning to him that such behavior is unacceptable

FORD
06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Sadly Obama's really more of a pussy than a dick anyway, since he refuses to stand up to these Repuke bastards :(

Va Beach VH Fan
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
If the shoe fits.............

I think it's fuckin classic. I voted for the dick I can call him that if I want after him not living up to my expectaions.

Well sure, all of us common folk can call him that....

chefcraig
06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm sorry, regardless of your personal opinion of the man, you do not call the President of the United States a dick...

And that's it, essentially. This all goes to the point of respecting the office, even if you do not respect the man. It also points to how unqualified some of these so-called analysts and talking heads are when it comes to being responsible public speakers. The fact that Scarborough invited the nitwit to speak his mind, then pretended to make light of the situation just shows how little the host understands about broadcasting. Then again, this story has begun to take off, drawing quite a bit of attention. Perhaps he wasn't being as stupid as first thought.

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
You know whomever the next Repulican candidate is I hope to hell they don't use the tired, age old "We are going to bridge party lines" bullshit . Of course it won't the that big an issue as the House is now controlled by Rebublicans. ;)

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Bad Boys! Mark Halperin and the Growing List of MSNBC Suspensions
MSNBC is already known for its liberal slant. But lately, it's becoming known for its growing roster of foul-mouthed hosts and analysts. It's getting hard to keep track of who called whom a "pimp," a "dick," or a "slut"! Thankfully, The Atlantic's political team has compiled this handy cheat sheet. Take a look:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/06/bad-boys-mark-halperin-and-the-growing-list-of-msnbc-suspensions/241289/

sadaist
06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Very unprofessional. These guys are supposed to be these great well educated word smiths and he can't find a better term to use than "dick"? Oh well. I wasn't offended by it. I think these networks are getting suspension happy. It is 4th of July weekend. Maybe he did it on purpose because he was out of vacation days?

BigBadBrian
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM

I totally agree...for TV that is. On a rock-n-roll forum, it's fair game.

But what he did on a national cable news program is almost inexcusable.

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 04:00 PM
All the shit slinging from both sides has gotten out of control really. I mean sooner or later someone is bound to step out of bounds.

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Enough politics for me today. It's bumming me out.

IM OUT....

sadaist
06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I totally agree...for TV that is. On a rock-n-roll forum, it's fair game.

But what he did on a national cable news program is almost inexcusable.

If this were a case of a live mic picking up his off-air comments, it would be fine. But he knew he was being televised and even asked if the 7-second delay was ready. he knew full well he was calling the President a dick on national TV and he knew it was wrong enough that it would need to be delayed & beeped out.

Foolish.

Dr. Love
06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
:monekyl:censorship:monekyr:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a30/gomezjuan/th_ScannersExplodingHead.gif

bueno bob
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm so glad that journalistic integrity is still alive and well....er...um....wait, uh...never mind.

chefcraig
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm so glad that journalistic integrity is still alive and well....er...um....wait, uh...never mind.

It just doesn't make any sense, particularly when you check out Mark Halperin's resume. For nearly a quarter of a century, the guy has been a pillar of the journalistic community, and he pretty much throws it away with a dick joke. Scarborough is understandable, because as a former politician he has no journalistic credibility in the first place, but Halperin's behavior is nothing short of mind-boggling.

LoungeMachine
07-01-2011, 05:52 PM
No one outside of The Military should be fired for calling the POTUS a "dick"

And certainly NOT someone from the Fourth Estate

:gulp:

And Scarbourough is a douche

Va Beach VH Fan
07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
It's not the first time he's disrespected Obama....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/13/times-halperin-apologizes_n_86504.html

Time's Halperin Apologizes For Saying Edwards "Thinks Obama Is Kind Of A Pussy"

Fishbowl DC reported this morning that Time's Mark Halperin "has a filthy, dirty mouth," quoting from his interview yesterday with Sirius Radio's Bill Geddie:

BILL GEDDIE: Haven't we heard all along that [John Edwards] doesn't like [Hillary Clinton], haven't we heard this?

MARK HALPERIN: Yes, that's right. And I can tell you, he's really skeptical of her ability to be the kind of president he wants. But, he kinda thinks Obama is..he thinks Obama is kind of a pussy.He has real questions about Obama's toughness, his readiness for the office.he has real doubts about Obama, not just as a president, but as a general election candidate.
This afternoon, Halperin issued a very vague apology on Time.com's The Page:

I'm sorry. In a live radio interview this week, I used a word I shouldn't have. The fact that I was conveying other people's words is no excuse for my lapse in judgment. It won't happen again. -- Mark Halperin

chefcraig
07-01-2011, 08:16 PM
It's not the first time he's disrespected Obama....

Time's Halperin Apologizes For Saying Edwards "Thinks Obama Is Kind Of A Pussy"

"Obama's a pussy. Obama's a dick."

Sound familiar? Thought so...

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/62/d981f2f64efe604a6734f86f73e24432.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/786095)

FORD
07-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I can't let that go up without the actual clip. Hilarious stuff, despite the song playing in the background for the first half of it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Nod65e7o

sadaist
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Sorry Ford. I kinda like that song. The chorus sucks, but the verses are pretty damn cool. It's a groovin' heavy tune.

sadaist
07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Recently at an awards show (TV Land perhaps?) Sean penn busted out in character an "Aloha Mr. Hand" much to the audiences delight. As much as I don't like Sean Penn lately, I thought this was extremely cool due to the fact he has really tried to stay away from the Spicoli association over his career.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:arc:video:spike.com:828d8b7b-b900-49e5-bad3-6d13cc401dae" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.spike.com/video-clips/ljnr8a/sean-penn-leads-a-ridgemont-high-reunion">Sean Penn Leads A Ridgemont High Reunion</a></b><br/>Tags: Sean Penn Leads A Ridgemont High Reunion</p></div></div>

Nickdfresh
07-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Recently at an awards show (TV Land perhaps?) Sean penn busted out in character an "Aloha Mr. Hand" much to the audiences delight. As much as I don't like Sean Penn lately, I thought this was extremely cool due to the fact he has really tried to stay away from the Spicoli association over his career.

You have to give it up to Penn whether you like his politics or not. he still nails a lot of hot, younger Hollywood actresses. Natalie Portman was one of his conquests....

chefcraig
07-02-2011, 10:56 AM
More significantly, he somehow managed to nail Scarlett Johansson, an actress who (frighteningly enough), was born sometime in 1984. :yikes:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4332/scarlettjohanssonqml.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/scarlettjohanssonqml.jpg/)

FORD
07-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Damn.... she even makes a mullet look good. :sex: