PDA

View Full Version : Ratt...most underrated 80's hard rock group?

Unchainme
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6d7g9PC1yA

The more I listen to these guys, the more I think it's sad they weren't more well-known. Fucking Warren Demartini is amazing, and Pearcy has an amazing Sleezy/Razor tongued vocal style that fits very well to match the 80's Sunset Strip vibe (which the mighty Van Halen gave the blue print). Songs are amazingly catchy and infectious.

It's sad that these guys seem to only be remembered for the classic "Round and Round" video, and are just lumped in with groups like Bon Jovi and Poison.

SunisinuS
07-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Wanted Man.

Hello Dealer with Snake Eyes.

Lol fully part of what the cover bands were doing at the time (myself included at 17), and they were a somewhat welcome relief for the guitarists in the band, as they could just pure play and have fun.

They allowed the guitarists' the same freedom somewhat Night Ranger gave.

Mr. Vengeance
07-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I love RATT. Out of the Cellar makes it at #6 on my all-time albums list. I'd have to put Tesla on the list for underrated 80's bands as well.

ThrillsNSpills
07-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Back for More has some good moves in it too.
You can tell Warren was a big Schenker fan.

Terry
07-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I'd easily put 'em more than a few notches above Poser...er...Posion and Bon Jerkoff.

Kinda lost interest in them after Dancing Undercover, mostly because each successive album contained more of what sounded like calculated filler to my ears.

The Ratt EP and Out Of The Cellar follow up were excellent, though. Invasion Of Your Privacy was solid and Dancing Undercover was a decent effort.

I'd probably rank Ratt a notch above Dokken, because even though George Lynch was a motherfucker of a guitarist so was DeMartini, and Ratt came up with slightly better tunes. Pearcy had more than his fair share of meatheaded lyrics, but I'd agree he did have a distinctive voice, whereas Don Dokken had subpar lyric writing abilities coupled with a bland as fuck set of pipes.

Nitro Express
07-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Ratt was always good background music while chasing and fucking 80's skanks. Man I miss those days.

SunisinuS
07-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Damn Terry. You ate up my last thanks of the day. Good Un' Ya.

I am grateful for all of you VH fans. This season. In the coming moment's, I wish all of you the best season of your lives.

Peace Out.

Matt White
07-04-2011, 10:18 PM
They were well known back in the day......83-84

Couldn't keep it together for more than a couple of cds......

"Way Cool JR" was the end of the line......

Warren is a monster.....cool guitars too

sadaist
07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
It's sad that these guys seem to only be remembered for the classic "Round and Round" video, and are just lumped in with groups like Bon Jovi and Poison.

I was supposed to see them on the Invasion tour with Bon Jovi opening up. New years Eve - San Diego Sports Arena. I got in trouble the night of & the tix went to older brother. I saw them the next tour around with Poison opening up. Ratt was incredible and gets a lot of shit. I can't tell you how much shit I have gotten for admitting I am a Ratt fan.

But they have some great fucking music! Very underrated band that got lumped in with all the hair/glam metal bands like Slaughter/Cinderella. Ratt is leaps above those guys.

lesfunk
07-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Never a big fan of Ratt but The did have some real catchy riffs

twonabomber
07-05-2011, 01:47 AM

i seem to remember Ratt being bigger than you seem to think they were. :D

I saw them the next tour around with Poison opening up. Ratt was incredible and gets a lot of shit. I can't tell you how much shit I have gotten for admitting I am a Ratt fan.

i saw Ratt that tour, also. at Blossom. i left early because the sound was horrible. almost like it was loud just for the sake of being loud. musically loud is one thing, being loud so you can say "hey, we're louder" than whoever is another. back then, Blossom may have been a hard venue to mix at, i dunno. it was built for an orchestra with pop/rock as an afterthought. but it was halfway through something and i said to my friend "hey, this is Wanted Man."

FORD
07-05-2011, 03:39 AM
Their early shit wasn't too bad, I guess. I'll admit I thought songs like "Round and Round", "Wanted Man", "Back For More" and the like were OK. But "Way Cool Jr" is about the point I gave up on them, and figured they were sellouts like AeroSHIT turned into about the same time.

binnie
07-05-2011, 03:54 AM
They made some cool stuff, although it hasn't aged that welll.

I'd argue that Tesla are the most underrated band in that stlye of music; with Cinderella a close second. That latter were much, much more than just another hair band.

FORD
07-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Tesla deserves some credit for kicking off the "unplugged" trend of the late 80's/early 90's, if for nothing else. "Five Man Acoustical Jam" is the only Tesla CD I own to this day, but it's still a damn good album, from the Stones & Dead covers to the crazy improvised bits about good ol' Country boys from Nashville.

That album alone lifted them above the sea of hairspray and makeup of the hair band scene.

binnie
07-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Their first two records are damn good. A little more clean cut than most of Sunset Strip, but with better songs.

FORD
07-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Ahh what the fuck...might as well throw the video in here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGWUZQ5xCyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMk7nkM495g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTIL2wlIMM

Seshmeister
07-05-2011, 05:40 AM
I really liked them but they had two main problems I think. Firstly they didn't really progress at all after the first couple of albums and if anything went back the way but I think the main problem was and is not being good enough live.

Scene of the Crime is one of the best songs on Out of the Cellar and listen to this...

sadaist
07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Cinderella ...were much, much more than just another hair band.

I'm sorry Binster. I liked Cinderella. Saw them twice in one week. They opened for Bon Jovi on a Saturday night and the opened for David Lee Roth on Tuesday night. But I dropped them like a bad habit as soon as they thought it would be a good idea to make clones of themselves. Blatant clones at that. It was just so fucking gay & cheesy. WTF? I would see this album cover & think holy shit, these guys are fags! Don't they see they are EXACTLY like Cinderella? How gullible do they think the fans are that we will buy a 2nd copy of the same band? At least mix it up a little bit for Christs sake.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cPWMHP-3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

binnie
07-05-2011, 10:22 AM
If memory serves, its was only the guitar player who'd been in Cinderella (Michael Kelly Smith????). They were given several 'leg-ups' by Cinderella though I think....

sonrisa salvaje
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Cinderella was very cool when Night Songs was out but when Long Cold Winter spawned so many hits including the "Don't Know What You've Got" ballad, it was kind of hard for me to support them at the time. Lets face it..."Last Mile" and "Coming Home" weren't the type of songs you rolled your windows down to while you were driving with your friends. Neither were the follow up songs on the next album such as "Shelter" and "Last Train." That being said, their next record called Still Climbing was a return to bluesy hard rock that should have restored their name but by that time no one gave it the time of day. When i look back on Cinderella i would still put them a notch above your Poisons and Warrants because Night Songs clearly beats any record that either of those bands had in their heyday. Night Songs even with "Nobody's Fool" which i really like was a hard rocking record. Poison will never be able to say that. "Every Rose" continues to be a thorn in my ass.

Ratt sold a ton of records so it is difficult to see how they are underrated but i agree that they are lumped into the hair metal category when at the time there was no such thing and they should never be lumped into a group with Poison, Warrant, Winger and White Lion when they clearly shred those bands. Only Motley Crue is of the same cloth and sold more records. What is funny about Ratt is that people complain that they were so formula driven through Dancin Undercover and became boring, yet when they tried to change their style with Reach For the Sky they sucked. Sounds like damned if you do and damned if you don't. I quite enjoyed everything they did through Dancin Undercover and had no complaints. They sensed they were becoming too routine and wanted a different producer to do the Reach album but when it turned into a cluster they brought the same producer back to recover what they could. It was definitely more commercial but by its release in 1988, the light was already fading for the hard rock scene anyway. Reach For The Sky's competitors would have been Poison's Open Up and Say Ah, Cinderella's Long Cold Winter, Winger's self titled debut, White Lion's Pride, and Warrant's Dirty, Rotten. Dokken had Back For the Attack and Motley Crue had just come off of Girls, Girls, Girls in 1987. Judas Priest had Ram It Down out with a cover of Johnny Be Good for fuck's sake. At least Iron Maiden was continuing on with a solid effort in 7th Son but the writing was on the wall.

Not making excuses for Ratt but i don't think anything they released in 1988, had it been different, would have turned the tide in the direction music was heading.

VAiN
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
...opened for David Lee Roth on Tuesday night...

I saw them on that tour as well - summer of 1991! That was my first time seeing Dave live... I didn't care for Cinderella at all.... Couldn't stand the singers voice and every song felt slow and long... 2 things I don't want in an opener.

sonrisa salvaje
07-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I saw them on that tour as well - summer of 1991! That was my first time seeing Dave live... I didn't care for Cinderella at all.... Couldn't stand the singers voice and every song felt slow and long... 2 things I don't want in an opener.

Actually could have been late 1986 or early 1987. They opened for Dave on Eatem and Smile and BJ on Slippery When Wet.

Sam42
07-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Out of the more popular bands in the 80's i would put Dokken ahead in the music dept, but put Ratt ahead in having the catchier songs. After that, the Crue and Bon jovi and other crap like that.

Nitro Express
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Ratt had the same manager as Van Halen. Milton Berle's son. That's why uncle Milty is in the Round and Round video.

Nitro Express
07-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry Binster. I liked Cinderella. Saw them twice in one week. They opened for Bon Jovi on a Saturday night and the opened for David Lee Roth on Tuesday night. But I dropped them like a bad habit as soon as they thought it would be a good idea to make clones of themselves. Blatant clones at that. It was just so fucking gay & cheesy. WTF? I would see this album cover & think holy shit, these guys are fags! Don't they see they are EXACTLY like Cinderella? How gullible do they think the fans are that we will buy a 2nd copy of the same band? At least mix it up a little bit for Christs sake.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cPWMHP-3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It became Spinal Tap. Grunge took over not because grunge was that great but the whole let's copy David Lee Roth and Van Halen thing ran beyond rediculous. Everyone says Kurt Cobain changed things but in reality, it was Guns and Roses. Gun's brought back real rock and roll. But then everyone credits Bruce Springsteen for killing disco but in reality it was Van Halen.

The thing about Guns and Roses is I knew some pretty hot chicks that owned their album and it was right next to their Deff Leopard stuff. These were the same chicks who listened to The Smiths and such. Guns and Roses was bringing back real rock and roll before Nirvana was even on the radar.

sadaist
07-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Actually could have been late 1986 or early 1987. They opened for Dave on Eatem and Smile and BJ on Slippery When Wet.

Yes. It was somewhere 86/87 when I saw them. I'd have to check the stubs for the exact dates, but the Bon Jovi & Dave shows were in the same week only days apart.

THEDOCTOR
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I saw Cinderella several times including twice oepning for Dave. Great band live.Tom Keifer is one helluva geetar player,no shit. Ratt had me hooked with their sound and catchy songs,and I couldn't wait to see them.Loved watching strippers dance to their tunes(back when rock was played in strip joints) I was PUMPED to check them out live,as it seemed a promising mix of metal,shredding,fun songs/lyrics,and hot chicks. I was sad at how bad they sounded and Pearcy was literally so lazy he layed on the stage through 3 songs. Lay it down was my favorite song,and Robin Crosby's horrendous backing vocals ruined it. It was god awful and I walked away wishing I'd have gotten the opening band's shirt,the same band I dismissed earlier that day for their extremely tranvestite looking image,which happened to be Poison.They kicked Ratt's ass that night ,and have always been a damn fun band live.I saw Ratt open for Poison a few years back and felt that Steven Pearcy is a lazier singer than Vince Neil and that's saying a lot. Studio wise Dancing Undercover is one of the best produced albumns I ever heard. I enjoy all of their work in the studio, and they are right up there as one of my fav metal bands. But live they just plained sucked balls each time I saw them. Never saw Dokken but I love their work in the studio.Bootlegs show me I'd probably not dig them live. I'm going to see Crue and Poison tonight,I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. It'll prob be the last time I see either one,as Ive seen them both a ton of times.

twonabomber
07-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Yes. It was somewhere 86/87 when I saw them. I'd have to check the stubs for the exact dates, but the Bon Jovi & Dave shows were in the same week only days apart.

not here. Bon Jovi was March/April...we got stuck in a huge snowstorm on the way back from the Coliseum. EEAS was August/September. may even have been Dave first then Bon Jovi the next spring.

sonrisa salvaje
07-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I saw Cinderella several times including twice oepning for Dave. Great band live.Tom Keifer is one helluva geetar player,no shit. Ratt had me hooked with their sound and catchy songs,and I couldn't wait to see them.Loved watching strippers dance to their tunes(back when rock was played in strip joints) I was PUMPED to check them out live,as it seemed a promising mix of metal,shredding,fun songs/lyrics,and hot chicks. I was sad at how bad they sounded and Pearcy was literally so lazy he layed on the stage through 3 songs. Lay it down was my favorite song,and Robin Crosby's horrendous backing vocals ruined it. It was god awful and I walked away wishing I'd have gotten the opening band's shirt,the same band I dismissed earlier that day for their extremely tranvestite looking image,which happened to be Poison.They kicked Ratt's ass that night ,and have always been a damn fun band live.I saw Ratt open for Poison a few years back and felt that Steven Pearcy is a lazier singer than Vince Neil and that's saying a lot. Studio wise Dancing Undercover is one of the best produced albumns I ever heard. I enjoy all of their work in the studio, and they are right up there as one of my fav metal bands. But live they just plained sucked balls each time I saw them. Never saw Dokken but I love their work in the studio.Bootlegs show me I'd probably not dig them live. I'm going to see Crue and Poison tonight,I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. It'll prob be the last time I see either one,as Ive seen them both a ton of times.

Right on. Give us a review tomorrow for sure.

You are right about Ratt live. I saw them in 86 and they sounded like shit. They were definitely a band that was better after the producer got done with them vs live. I saw them live in 99 in an outdoor venue and they sounded much better. Maybe they were just trying harder since their day had passed.

sadaist
07-05-2011, 02:07 PM
not here. Bon Jovi was March/April...we got stuck in a huge snowstorm on the way back from the Coliseum. EEAS was August/September. may even have been Dave first then Bon Jovi the next spring.

Argh. You had me doubting myself. So I busted out the old album for the stubs.....they were a month apart, NOT a week.

Both at San Diego Sports Arena

David Lee w/Cinderella - Thursday December 18, 1986
Bon Jovi w/Cinderella - Friday January 16, 1987

*Side note. I think the confusion was I saw Yngwie Malmsteen w/Saxon 5 nights before the Roth show on Dec 13, 1986 with the same girl I took to Bon Jovi.

twonabomber
07-05-2011, 02:20 PM
So I busted out the old album for the stubs.....

i did, too.

Dave was here September 29, 1986, and i also went to the Toledo show on October 30th.

Bon Jovi show was March 30, 1987. i'll never forget that snowstorm.

tjvhou812
07-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I would'nt say they was underrated. from out of the cellar to detinator they held thier own

and i think they are a kick ass band with a bad azz guitar player that being warren D

tjvhou812
07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I would'nt say they was underrated. from out of the cellar to detinator they held thier own

and i think they are a kick ass band with a bad azz guitar player that being warren D

binnie
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
With regards to Ratt, I'm not too sure that underrated is the word. It's interesting that their legacy is so far behind that of Motley Crue's, however.

sadaist
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
With regards to Ratt, I'm not too sure that underrated is the word. It's interesting that their legacy is so far behind that of Motley Crue's, however.

I think the difference is Crue found a way to make them each a celebrity outside the band. Pamela Anderson, Heather Locklear, sex tapes, books, drugs, tv shows, fights, etc... Most casual fans could name 3/4 of Crue members and 0 members of Ratt. Maybe 1 if they are really a fan.

Seshmeister
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah I think Tommy Lee's penis and where he put it made a huge contribution to the bands fame.

Strangely 1 minor celeb + 1 minor celeb = 2 big celebs.

binnie
07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't think you could ever say that there was anything 'minor' about Pam Anderson!

i think that Crue have been managed well - 'The Dirt' was a masterstroke in bringing them back from relative obscurity.

Nitro Express
07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Ratt had me hooked with their sound and catchy songs,and I couldn't wait to see them.Loved watching strippers dance to their tunes(back when rock was played in strip joints)

I hadn't heard a Ratt song in years and as soon as I heard the music in this thread sex just popped into my head. Delicious 80's skanks. Damn they were wonderful! The stiff hairspray, the smell of heavy perfume, the taste of tits and then the smell of wet pussy mixed with Giorgio of Beverly Hills. Even the smell of sex in the 80's had it's own vibe.

binnie
07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Someone needs a cold shower.....

Nitro Express
07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Hell yeah. Play that Ratt music and it just triggers memories of all the delicious sleaze of the day. There was a thing called celebration going on then.

Mr. Vengeance
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Maybe because they only made a couple of albums but Badlands never got the credit they deserved.

sonrisa salvaje
07-05-2011, 10:52 PM
i did, too.

Dave was here September 29, 1986, and i also went to the Toledo show on October 30th.

Bon Jovi show was March 30, 1987. i'll never forget that snowstorm.

Man, mine was even further apart. I saw Dave with Cinderella the first time in Huntsville, AL on August 25, 1986 (this had to be real early in the tour but don't know what show). Saw Dave with Cinderella the second time on Nov 9, 1986 in Birmingham, AL. By the time Dave arrived in Montgomery, AL on Feb, 13 1987 he had Tesla opening. I didn't see Bon Jovi with Cinderella until May 14, 1987.

This is not a bad stretch here:
6/15/86 - Judas Priest with Dokken
8/25/86 - DLR with Cinderella
10/27/86 - 38 Special with Bad Company
11/9/86 - DLR with Cinderella
1/23/87 - Ratt with Queensryche
2/13/87 - DLR with Tesla
5/14/87 - Bon Jovi with Cinderella
11/18/87 - Motley Crue with Guns and Roses
11/21/87 - Tina Turner with Level 42
12/16/87 - Def Leppard with Tesla

Julius
07-06-2011, 12:27 AM
The opening riff of Lay it Down often gives me goosebumps, the only other song that has the same effect is the opening of Mean Street.

Ratt was good for riffage in the early days but had some real clunkers later on. I've seen some old live boots and Stephen is the laziest singer I've seen since Vince Neil.

Take away Tommy Lee's drum shenanigans and the Crue is almost unwatchable live. Cinderella gets a bad rap for being a hairband, most people would look at their photos on the album jacket and dismiss them, but that band could bring it live. Great chops and a high energy show.

Back to Ratt, I didn't buy the newest album but heard nothing but good things about it.

sadaist
07-06-2011, 02:16 AM
This is not a bad stretch here:
6/15/86 - Judas Priest with Dokken
8/25/86 - DLR with Cinderella
10/27/86 - 38 Special with Bad Company
11/9/86 - DLR with Cinderella
1/23/87 - Ratt with Queensryche
2/13/87 - DLR with Tesla
5/14/87 - Bon Jovi with Cinderella
11/18/87 - Motley Crue with Guns and Roses
11/21/87 - Tina Turner with Level 42
12/16/87 - Def Leppard with Tesla

For some reason I am hearing that childrens song......"one of these things is not like the other....one of these things doesn't belong"

:hee:

sonrisa salvaje
07-06-2011, 11:32 AM
For some reason I am hearing that childrens song......"one of these things is not like the other....one of these things doesn't belong"

:hee:

Yeah, no kidding. Pretty funny huh? You know....free ticket, same town and to see a legend. I'll tell you another one that doesn't belong. I can't find the ticket stub but i know early in 86 i saw Loverboy with the Hooters opening. Loverboy was doing the Lovin Every Minute tour and i guess the Hooters had just taken over as opener replacing Dokken. Can you imagine Dokken opening for Loverboy? Think there were some fights? Anyway, the Hooters had just come out and the song "And We Danced" was getting airplay on the radio. All in all it was actually a good show.

sadaist
07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Pretty funny huh? You know....free ticket, same town and to see a legend. I'll tell you another one that doesn't belong. I can't find the ticket stub but i know early in 86 i saw Loverboy with the Hooters opening. Loverboy was doing the Lovin Every Minute tour and i guess the Hooters had just taken over as opener replacing Dokken. Can you imagine Dokken opening for Loverboy? Think there were some fights? Anyway, the Hooters had just come out and the song "And We Danced" was getting airplay on the radio. All in all it was actually a good show.

well, I must say Tina Turner is a pretty rocking mofo of a woman. And in the 80's I wanted to lick her legs for days. It just looked kinda funny in the midst of all those hard rock shows you went to.

I can imagine the Hooters was a fun show at that time as well. I liked that 1 song. Were they a 1-hit wonder? I can't remember them doing much of anything else.

Nitro Express
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I remember seeing April Wine in 81 I think and Loverboy was the warm up act. It was the classic case of the warm up group stealing the show from the headliner.

Mr. Vengeance
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Must have been about 1988 and I won tickets to a Poison show at a bar. Opening act was Tesla. Want to talk about an opening act completely fucking OWNING the headliners...this was it. I have to figure that the guys in Tesla stood backstage and just laughed at C.C. Deville's ham-fisted attemtps at guitar solos.

rocking ron
07-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Underrated : Ratt ? Cinderella, Tesla ??!!

What about Y & T ??

sonrisa salvaje
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Underrated : Ratt ? Cinderella, Tesla ??!!

What about Y & T ??

Man, i love Y&T. Absolutely love Mean Streak, Black Tiger, Down For The Count, you name it! I would definitely agree they are underrated.

sonrisa salvaje
07-06-2011, 07:31 PM
well, I must say Tina Turner is a pretty rocking mofo of a woman. And in the 80's I wanted to lick her legs for days. It just looked kinda funny in the midst of all those hard rock shows you went to.

I can imagine the Hooters was a fun show at that time as well. I liked that 1 song. Were they a 1-hit wonder? I can't remember them doing much of anything else.

In the true sense of the word they were because i don't think "All You Zombies" charted but it was a video that got heavy rotation on MTV and was a pretty well known track. It was also off of the Nervous Night record.

I'll tell you something even funnier about that Loverboy show. I wasn't much of a Loverboy fan but i got a ticket as a Xmas present so i went with a friend from school. Anyway, they were rocking pretty good and their were probably about 10k people there. The place was going nuts. So Mike Reno (lead singer) throws his towel into the crowd. It is general admission so we are all packed in down in front of the stage. Being caught up in the moment, i grabbed the towel and so did this other guy who was trying to get it for his girlfriend. Me and that dude must have wrestled for 15 minutes over that damn towel, and i didn't even give a shit about Loverboy. I was just trying to piss him off. He probably thought i was some kind of little sissy going after Reno's towel. :biggrin::biggrin:

Mr. Vengeance
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
How about Lynch Mob? Two SMOKING albums!

Mr. Vengeance
07-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Also if you want the band that should have been huge and no one knows??? Kings of the Sun. That first album was awesome!

sonrisa salvaje
07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Lynch Mob was alright. I thought they were kind of bland. Good enough guitar work but the singer and the lyrics didn't do anything for me. Compared to what else was out at that time in the genre they were a cut above the rest for sure.

I would mention Blue Murder as underrated because I thought their first record was excellent and their second was decent.
I would also agree with a previous post about Badlands being very good. I thought Junkyard was pretty good because they had a southern bluesy feel to them.

Seshmeister
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Saw Lynch Mob supporting Queensryche in Edinburgh on November 1st, 1990. Apparently.

Does anyone else find it strange that thanks to the internet you can find out exactly where you were on a given date as long as you were at a gig? The rest of the time in the early 90s I couldn't tell you what planet I was on. :)

Could be a plot for a movie where someone has to use a time machine to go back and track himself down to warn against the dangers of booze and loose women.

Anyhoo I digress I don't remember much about them apart from Lynch himself being good and that they did Mr Scary. I put them into the category of nothing special at the time and thought no more about it which I think I wasn't alone in judging by their career.

Best Queensryche gig I've ever been to though, it was outstanding.

sonrisa salvaje
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't have much of a feeling on Lynch Mob. Therein lies the problem.

rocking ron
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't have much with Lynch Mob either !!

In October Y & T are coming to Holland to play 2 shows and I've read that they are gonna play completely their album 'Earthshaker' , can't wait for this!!!

Y & T is in my opinion the bridge between American and European '(heavy)rock' music :baaa:

Mr. Vengeance
07-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Love this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC_Ltin8vaY

ashstralia
07-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Also if you want the band that should have been huge and no one knows??? Kings of the Sun. That first album was awesome!

'you better drop the gun'.... classic rock greatness.

sadaist
07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I have 2 very cool RATT moments to share.

1st - was driving on the 8 freeway in San Diego one sunny mid-day around 1990 or so. I see a sweet black Porsche in front with the license plate 'RATTMOM'. Now I know Pearcy & the others have deep roots in San Diego. So I speed up & get over on the lane next to her. Finally get side by side and it is a middle aged woman who is the spitting image of Stephen Pearcy. Same hair & everything. I honked & gave tossed the devil horns to her. She smiled & waved.

2nd - Saw Ratt in the last 90's at a club in San Diego called 4th & B. general admission type place downtown. Squished my way to the front for a few tunes. During Wanted Man, Pearcy leaned out & held the mic to my face. I sang 1 verse & could hear my voice over the sound system to the couple thousand people in there. Very cool. The verse I got was...

"it's your neck, from this RATT gang..........."

If I would have had that chance in 1986 I probably would have shat myself.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I saw Ratt and Fastway at San Diego State Univ. in '84....

I remember that we had to go to a ticket agency to get 2nd row seats and I was flabbergasted that I had to pay $35 for the ticket !! Oh, the humanity !!

By the way, in the 1st row ?? All blondes....

SunisinuS
07-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Va Beach VH Fan must be a brunette. By the way.....new Night Ranger album out today. Local radio played it in it's entirety. I love where I live. Pedestrian. It is named "Somewhere in California." Grab your whatever.

Shapes up for a good summer.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Va Beach VH Fan must be a brunette.

About 15 years ago, yes....

Now it's salt and pepper, and turning more salty by the day.... :D

rocking ron
07-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Va Beach VH Fan must be a brunette. By the way.....new Night Ranger album out today. Local radio played it in it's entirety. I love where I live. Pedestrian. It is named "Somewhere in California." Grab your whatever.

Shapes up for a good summer.

A friend of me gave me a copy of the Night Ranger cd and I'm curious if it is that good if they write in our national rock magazine, to be continued....

GennyVH
07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I love Ratt, mostly first 3 albums...and yep, they are a few underrated as respect to others bands but L.A.Guns for example are really most underrated of all! They are a great live band with great songs.

FORD
07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Maybe Ratt just needs a new singer? If they got Steve Perry, they could sound like this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJXkycLDIxI

rocking ron
07-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I like that ROCK SUGAR album, a real 'fun' or feelgood cd to play loud with your friends during a 'no holds BBQ' on a Sunday-afternoon in the park :baaa:

rocking ron
07-27-2011, 06:08 PM
By the way, Binnie, I've heard the Michael Monroe album, Sensory Overdrive, and it really ROCKs !!!:)

FORD
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
As for a band that's never got the recognition they deserved, I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again no doubt in the future.
That title goes to the 77s.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxgDX9ZrOA

binnie
07-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Vain are a band that deserved more success.