PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Shaw Of Styx On Reunions And Touring With New Material

chefcraig
07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
As much as I despise the bulk of Styx' music, it's interesting to note how astute some of these dinosaur bands can be. Tommy Shaw of Styx recently noted in a Rolling Stone interview that even though the group recorded an album of new material a few years ago, they pretty much stopped playing anything from it because fans wanted to hear the classics. In fact, after playing one or two of their classic albums in their entirety, they decided to keep playing a few of the deeper cuts instead of offering the new stuff.

It must grate on an artist when the fanbase isn't interested in anything you've created lately, but you have to admire how pragmatic the guys in Styx are being for listening to the audience, swallowing their pride and delivering what the fans apparently want.

Styx: No Reunion With Former Frontman Dennis DeYoung

'We weren't even happy working with each other in our heyday,' says guitarist and vocalist Tommy Shaw

By Andy Greene Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/styx-no-reunion-with-former-frontman-dennis-deyoung-20110707)

For the past 10 years Styx fans have been hoping and praying that former frontman Dennis DeYoung and the rest of the band will put aside their differences and reunite. According to Styx guitarist and vocalist Tommy Shaw – who hasn't performed with DeYoung since a highly acrimonious split in 1999 – that just isn't going to happen.

"I don't think [a reunion] is realistic," Shaw tells Rolling Stone. "We tried it in 1996 and we realized what was true in 1983 was only more true in 1996. We'd just gone our separate ways. Rather than having a positive effect on each other, we have a very negative effect on each other. You only live once and you should be happy."

When the group split they hammered out a deal in which DeYoung could tour solo under the banner "formerly of Styx," while everyone else retained the band's name. In the past decade, Styx (with new vocalist Lawrence Gowan) have toured at a relentless pace, often doing well over 100 shows a year. "In some ways it feels like we don't play enough," says Shaw. "There's just such an appetite for trying to refine this and trying to take it to the next level. I think we all understand what an incredible opportunity it is to have a band with this kind of following and this repertoire of music."

This summer they are on the road with Yes. "Some of the defining moments from my teenage years are when I opened those first couple of Yes albums," says Shaw. "They're imprinted in my brain. It's a very cool thing for to be walking around backstage and see things with Yes logos on them and see the guys walking around. Steve Howe is such a unique guitarist, and so unyielding in his style – and Chris Squire is just an unapologetic showman. He's as amazing as ever."

Styx focus their show on their long catalog of hits ("Come Sail Away," "Renegade," "Too Much Time On My Hands"), but they are also sprinkling in some deep cuts inspired by a tour last fall where they did 1977's The Grand Illusion and 1978's Pieces of Eight straight through. "We hadn't played some of those songs since they were recorded," says Shaw. "So we were playing songs we've been doing for 35 years next to songs we were doing for the first time. It was a really good exercise for our brains. Since then we've put songs like 'Man In The Wilderness,' 'I'm OK' and 'Castle Walls' into the set."

Shaw says it's unlikely they'll tackle any other albums in the foreseeable future. "To me, those were the defining albums for Styx," he says. "At that point in our career we were driving up and down the coast in branded station wagons with our luggage on top of the car, and doubling up in hotel rooms. This was the great time where we were all in agreement and the music reflected that. After that we made a lot of money and had a lot of success, but this united force started to drift apart. We had success with Paradise Theater, Cornerstone and Kilroy Was Here, but we have the most sentimental attachment to these two."

In 2003 the band released the new studio album Cyclorama, but don't expect to hear many of those songs in concert. "You just cannot compete with your past," says Shaw. "There's one new song we do in the show called 'One With Everything.' If it had been on Pieces of Eight or something it would have been a classic song. So as wonderful as the song is, we're playing it for a handful of fans. A song like 'Renegade' just resonates so much more with people. You can see the look of joy in people's faces when we play them."

When Shaw was getting a ride to the airport recently, the driver started talking to him about a new album by another band from from Styx's era. (He wouldn't name names, but Journey probably isn't a bad guess.) "The driver said to me, 'It sounds like they just rehashed some old song from the past – and their new stuff I wasn't crazy about,'" says Shaw. "They probably spent close to a half million dollars on that and took all that time, but their fans just want to hear the old stuff. And I'm cool with that."

So is a reunion with DeYoung just completely out of the question? "We already did it," says Shaw. "In retrospect, we weren't even happy working with each other in our heyday. We're just different people with different desires and different vision of how things should be. God, it was such an unhappy place. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We're crazy, but we're not insane."

Jagermeister
07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah. I can't say I have any desire to see Styx even though I do like most of the classic songs. Let's face it. Much of the music of our era is now "classic". So what does that make music from like The Greatfull Dead and the Stones, Joplin, ? "Ancient" :biggrin:

chefcraig
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
So what does that make music from like The Greatfull Dead and the Stones, Joplin, ? "Ancient" :biggrin:

Shit, take it a bit further than that, Jag. The 1960s doo-wop tracks I cherish could be considered black and white television, those 1950s rock and roll sides I love would be seen as Smithsonian/Folkways field recordings, and any blues tracks recorded during that time and before would stand as cave-drawings.

Jagermeister
07-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Shit, take it a bit further than that, Jag. The 1960s doo-wop tracks I cherish could be considered black and white television, those 1950s rock and roll sides I love would be seen as Smithsonian/Folkways field recordings, and any blues tracks recorded during that time and before would stand as cave-drawings.

lol. Yeah and old Buddy Holly still has a big following. For sure Smithsonian.

Matt White
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Funny you bring that up Jag....

I was laughing with my 2 brothers a couple of weeks ago....how in the 80's there was an AM station in DETROIT....HONEY RADIO...that played only 50's & 60's tunes........

So...by that standard....anything from the 80's back should be on AM radio....

LMAO....which I really wouldn't have a problem with....I'm always shocked that a teenager today finds any relavance in music that was old when his parents were born......

FORD
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
LMAO....which I really wouldn't have a problem with....I'm always shocked that a teenager today finds any relavance in music that was old when his parents were born......

Can you blame them? Today's music is mostly SHIT.

And while I realize that's exactly what my parents said about my music, in this case it's really true. Most of the crap on the radio is from corporate puppets who neither write songs or play instruments. That's even true of the country stations, though at least there you have a few exceptions, like Keith Urban or Brad Paisley who can actually play their guitars.

Unchainme
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Paisley's a good guy.

Anyone who's a fan of Cleveland sports teams is a-okay in my book. Not a big fan of his, but he's pretty good when it comes to modern country.

sonrisa salvaje
07-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Currently, country music just stinks. The sad state of affairs on music row in Nashville can be summed up by 2 American Idol winners going straight from the show to being multi platinum artists with headlining tours. :barf:

Nitro Express
07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
There is no country music anymore. It's some assholes who went to the western wear store acting like Sammy Hagar on stage.

This was probably the last bit of real country music before it went.

Diamondjimi
07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Styx are simply a nostalgia act. Still very good live.

Most of the wiring and all of my console lamps in my studio are courtesy of Styx. (my live sound engineer worked for them for 10 years.... ) Thanks for the free shit Tommy! :baaa: :biggrin:

Terry
07-08-2011, 10:57 PM
There is no country music anymore. It's some assholes who went to the western wear store acting like Sammy Hagar on stage.

This was probably the last bit of real country music before it went.

Fucking nailed it!

Terry
07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
While I still think there's a bit of a lacking quality in these aging rock bands flogging their back catalog, either in infinite greatest hits cd compilations or on endless tours, I suppose it's gotta be somewhat of a pain in the ass for the bands themselves to a degree.

I mean, on one level who can blame these bands for plodding along, churning out their biggest FM tunes live? The pay isn't bad. It beats real work. What the fuck else are these band members of any given group do? Go back to school and become doctors?

SunisinuS
07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
While I still think there's a bit of a lacking quality in these aging rock bands flogging their back catalog, either in infinite greatest hits cd compilations or on endless tours, I suppose it's gotta be somewhat of a pain in the ass for the bands themselves to a degree.

I mean, on one level who can blame these bands for plodding along, churning out their biggest FM tunes live? The pay isn't bad. It beats real work. What the fuck else are these band members of any given group do? Go back to school and become doctors?

You of all People. As Dan would say:

fifth element
07-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Funny you bring that up Jag....

I was laughing with my 2 brothers a couple of weeks ago....how in the 80's there was an AM station in DETROIT....HONEY RADIO...that played only 50's & 60's tunes........

So...by that standard....anything from the 80's back should be on AM radio....

a LOT of teens today are into 80's music and 80's artists....

Must say I still have to laugh every time one of them asks "have you ever heard of... (Genesis, Rush, Kansas)....?

"oh...let's see...only since i was YOUR age." is the standard answer...lol

Hardrock69
07-09-2011, 04:13 AM
My best friend's band opened for Styx in the summer of 1996. In the absence of me playing out in my own band, I was always ready to help my friends by being their 'stage manager'.

This was an interesting night.

Firstly, my friend decided to make it an acoustic set. He and bassist sat on stools, with their drummer behind them. Found out during soundcheck that Bruce Springsteen had taken the summer off from touring to hang out with his kids, and his FOH sound guy was out with Styx. Apparently there was no love lost between him and the guy Styx had been using.

At one point, I heard him (Sprintsteen's sound guy) say "I am going to make that acoustic guitar sound like God", when referring to my friend's guitar. Apparently he wanted to show a certain someone how to do a great mix.

Of course we didn't care WHY it was happening, but to have Springsteen's sound guy want to work so hard to make you sound incredible was a real treat!

So my friends got to play for about 45 minutes. About 35 minutes into the set, I felt someone standing behind me, and it was Tommy Shaw! I shook his hand, and turned back to watch my friends. After we got all the gear offstage during set change, Tommy hung out with us, and was very complimentary....giving us a buncha his guitar picks, and signing autographs.

He was a genuinely cool guy.

Unfortunately, my friend had a club gig that night, so we were only able to hang out to watch one song, and then we had to split.

But even so.....it was a great experience.

Diamondjimi
07-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Cool story HR.

My sound guy and Tommy couldn't stand each other. But being professionals at what they do, they tolerated each other.
Told me JY Young (the leader of the band) is an awesome guy. Treats everyone like family....

SunisinuS
07-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Since I am a Prog Rock fan...I know Styx did just what Tommy said...they toured with Yes for a reason. Here was what Tommy was saying out the new album. Headphones. I love it when bands express themselves....Kansas did a whole new Kerry Livgren songwritten album awhile back. It was sweet.