PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 boots that have the best sound? ...

Eyes of the Night
07-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Argentina, brazil 83' ... I have 2 others but forgot their names. So tell me which ones sound the best to you ...

VAiN
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Pasadena Civic Center Oct 77 is pretty damn good as far as pre-VH I boots go... There are a lot of 78 shows that sound great as well... Of course the US Fest is soundboard... there's also a soundboard '80 show from England... You have to be a little more specific as to what tour you're looking for... VHBOOTS.COM (http://www.vhboots.com) is a good resource...

VHscraps
07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Greensboro, NC, 1981. Audience recording, so not strictly as clean as some of the board boots, but still pretty clear in places - the version of Ice Cream Man on it, for instance, is the the BEST version I've heard (incl. the studio version). Dave's rap - 'this here is the sounds of summertime!' - is brilliant, and the audience are really diggin it and ramping up the atmosphere, and the band just slays it - especially Eddie once the band kicks in. Awesome stuff. The sheer adrenalin in that one song from this boot makes it worth mentioning.

Madison Sq Gardens, '84 - Another audience recording. I have a vinyl boot of it titled 'Where's the Beef Dave?'. Again, like the last one, it's a patchy deal in terms of sound quality, but the version of Cathedral - extended compared to the studio version, with Dave doing echo-y vocals sounds at the start, and Ed really on fire - is totally awesome. I think of it as the Bionic Man version of the tune. The sound is pretty clear 'cos it's pretty much just the guitar.

It's a real pity that the folks up at Howdy Doody couldn't pull a lot of this stuff together, and do - like The Doors have done, a series of 'official' boots.

The Pasadena Civic 77 show is cool. Anybody out there in the UK know who Julian Cope is?? He was the singer in a band called Teardrop Explodes, and made lots of solo albums. I like him, and he likes VH - especially the first 4 albums. He wrote this long review of the 77 Pasadena boot:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/812/

He gets some of his facts wrong, clearly, but the man is a fan of the sounds therein presented, so I forgive him that ...

VAiN
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Full Moon, Fair Warning - INFO (http://www.vhboots.com/fullmoonfw.html) is also a great 81 show... it even includes a cover of 'Lucielle'... sound is decent as well... all things considered. I agree with MSG 84 - also fucking great!

Fresno 3.25.79 is pretty fucking awesome as well - it's the first show of the second tour... worth checking out: INFO (http://www.vhboots.com/onfireinfresno.html)

hotsummerknight
07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
aug 95 the toronto show. epic. eddie shreds amsterdam like no other.

chefcraig
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
aug 95 the toronto show. epic. eddie shreds amsterdam like no other.

Wasn't that just a dubbed copy of the pay-per-view show? Unless you happen to have a rare, broadcast-quality copy, the boots of that show sound awful. Even in the parts where Hagar isn't screeching...or on stage, for that matter.

hotsummerknight
07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
sound quality is shit but it adds to the charm

VHscraps
07-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Full Moon, Fair Warning - INFO (http://www.vhboots.com/fullmoonfw.html) is also a great 81 show... it even includes a cover of 'Lucielle'... sound is decent as well... all things considered. I agree with MSG 84 - also fucking great!

Fresno 3.25.79 is pretty fucking awesome as well - it's the first show of the second tour... worth checking out: INFO (http://www.vhboots.com/onfireinfresno.html)

Haven't heard the Full Moon show, but I still have the Home Ground 2LP from the Forum on the same tour - crackles with energy and the band are hot, but def an audience recording.

rocking ron
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Sweden '84 and a lot of ('77) '78 & '79 stuff is ok :baaa:

VHscraps
07-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Will check them out. Haven't heard the Full Moon show, but I still have the Home Ground 2LP from the Forum on the same tour - crackles with energy and the band are hot, but def an audience recording.

chefcraig
07-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Be that as it may, the fellow who started this thread asked for the top 3 boots that have the best sound, so that isn't much in the way of assistance.

FORD
07-20-2011, 07:30 PM
It's really a crime that there are so few Van HALEN boots with decent sound. Hell, I've heard Beatles boots from the late 50's that have clearer quality than some of the early VH stuff. Wouldn't think that would be the case given a rapid evolution in recording technology in the 15 or so years in between, but sadly, the good quality recording didn't seem to hit Van Halen land until that last Pasadena gig in 1977

Of course there a couple professionally recorded gigs in the vault somewhere - Oakland 81, and which ever 79 gig this video came from, but who knows when those will ever see the light of day.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JghM0GIb6U

rocking ron
07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
That's right but I have hundreds of VH (cd) boots and really don't know the 3 best ones there are in my collection, it's a shame:ashamed: but I don't listen much ( almost never :() to this stuff anymore.

But what I've remembered is the best ouality boots are strange enough from the end seventies era !!!

VAiN
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
That's right but I have hundreds of VH (cd) boots and really don't know the 3 best ones there are in my collection, it's a shame:ashamed: but I don't listen much ( almost never :() to this stuff anymore.

But what I've remembered is the best ouality boots are strange enough from the end seventies era !!!

There's no shame... I'm in the same boat. I have sooooo many shows.. I've stopped collecting, after a while you just can't keep up on it. The last few years I've been more excited about the boom in bootleg DVDs.. the technology is fan-fucking-tastic now-a-days!! Besides, sooner or later we'll get that CVH Box Set™ and we'll all gladly toss out our inferior bootlegs. :umm:

rocking ron
07-21-2011, 06:11 PM
I have exactly the same idea about this, I'm completely into that DVD stuff (need 5 more shows to complete my DLR dvd-collection) and have lost my interest in cd-boots!!

I've always wondered why Dave never put out a live-video/dvd, he likes filming and to be filmed a lot and I'm pretty sure there's enough live-material from the '86 & '88 (world) tours to make an official (double) live-dvd.

Same thing for Van Halen ( Dave era ), what about Donington '84 and ofcourse some earlier stuff and their last tour in '07/'08, takes much to long and don't think they will come up with a CVH Box Set soon!!
Maybe only when something terrible happens with one of the members but I don't wanna think about that:(

Eyes of the Night
07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Right on, thanks for the replies! I guess I should of stated "=VH= Video Boots with the best sound" ... Cato! Fix the title please if you can ... trippy

VAiN
07-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Right on, thanks for the replies! I guess I should of stated "=VH= Video Boots with the best sound" ... Cato! Fix the title please if you can ... trippy

In no particular order, the US Festival, Largo 82, Charlotte 07.

Cato
07-22-2011, 12:11 AM
No.

*slides Eyes a bucket of beer*

Eyes of the Night
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Lol, Cato you da man ... what's the 83' video of Eddie wearing a LA Raiders white jersey playing hot for teacher? ...

VAiN
07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Lol, Cato you da man ... what's the 83' video of Eddie wearing a LA Raiders white jersey playing hot for teacher? ...

Seeing as how that song was on 1984, I'd love to see it as well... :biggrin:

jazzin0927
02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Actually just got a Louisville show that was a audience recording from 2/12/2012 (Something like that). And for a Audience recording it sounded fantastic and the band was on!!

'NO MIKE ANTHONY-NO REUNION" - Just a Side Project

philouze
02-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Indianapolis 84. Not a perfect sound, but the band is ON, and the crowd is litterally On Fire.

Hardrock69
02-25-2012, 04:08 AM

Heh......all the charm (vocally) of listening to 36 leaf-blowers, 14 weed-eaters, and 8 Lawnboys all running at high revolutions as they are being crushed in the back of a garbage truck.....

The fat klown has the Anti-Midas Touch....anything he touches turns to shit...

Seshmeister
02-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Anne Wilson?

Eyes of the Night
02-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Indianapolis 84. Not a perfect sound, but the band is ON, and the crowd is litterally On Fire.

Interesting ... Never heard of that boot before ...

78/84 guy
05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone have the 78 Hammersmith show ? I'm looking for a cd of this.

TwoFoolsAMinute
05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
For sound quality? By tour..in my opinion...but I'm biased toward standout shows.
Pasadena Civic 77 Master
London 78 (Tokyo 78 is best show and sounds good, but London for pure sound quality)
Fresno 79
80-81 did not produce a show with great sound quality
82 Largo is pretty good
83 Us Fest is high quality
for 1984 Quebec City is the only standout show and it is in the neighborhood of the best recordings of that tour.
Montreal 07 is very good
You'll have to ask someone else for 2012's

jcrizzy
07-21-2012, 03:48 AM
For sound quality? By tour..in my opinion...but I'm biased toward standout shows.
Pasadena Civic 77 Master
London 78 (Tokyo 78 is best show and sounds good, but London for pure sound quality)
Fresno 79
80-81 did not produce a show with great sound quality
82 Largo is pretty good
83 Us Fest is high quality
for 1984 Quebec City is the only standout show and it is in the neighborhood of the best recordings of that tour.
Montreal 07 is very good
You'll have to ask someone else for 2012's

Those are some of the best. But also....
1980 - Largo -- is soundboard w pretty good sound
1981 - couple decent AUD recordings. 5/15 Providence, RI, 9/28 Phoenix seem to be pretty good. 6/19 LA Sports Arena and 8/25 Greensboro, NC are decent too.
1982 - Largo and Dallas are soundboard