PDA

View Full Version : Best 3rd basemen ever

Bob_R
06-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Who's the best 3rd basemen ever? George Brett or Mike Schmidt? Or, have I left someone off? More suggestions are welcome.

ALinChainz
06-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I'd say those could be arguably the 2 best offensive 3rd baseman, at least of the last 30 years say. I'd give the fielding edge to Schmidt over Brett, with power and average cancelling each other..

Brooks Robinson was an amazing fielder, Craig Nettles made some awesome plays in world series games.

I know I'm forgetting a lot of others to.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I'd say those could be arguably the 2 best offensive 3rd baseman, at least of the last 30 years say. I'd give the fielding edge to Schmidt over Brett, with power and average cancelling each other..

Brooks Robinson was an amazing fielder, Craig Nettles made some awesome plays in world series games.

I know I'm forgetting a lot of others to.

That's the key point, are we talking offensive 3rd baseman, all around, etc. ??

If you're talking offensive, it's gotta be Michael Jack Schmidt....

Defense, it's Brooks with Nettles not far behind....

Mezro
06-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Who's the best 3rd basemen ever? George Brett or Mike Schmidt? Or, have I left someone off? More suggestions are welcome.

Mike Schmidt. Real 3rd basemen never get hemorrhoids.

Mezro...1980 Philles baby

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Wasn't that
Originally posted by Mezro

I was gonna say that it was Philly's last championship team, but I remembered the Sixers in '83....

Not that P-Burgh has been much better, but the Pens went back-to-back in the early '90's....

Mezro
06-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Wasn't that

I was gonna say that it was Philly's last championship team, but I remembered the Sixers in '83....

Not that P-Burgh has been much better, but the Pens went back-to-back in the early '90's....

I was a litle kid when the Phils won it all..but man, what a great memory.

The Pens had a great team; Flyers fans were jealous for a long time.

Mezro...still a Philly sports fan at heart

ALinChainz
06-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Mike Schmidt. Real 3rd basemen never get hemorrhoids.

Ironically, the 1980 Phillies, with Schmidt winning Series MVP, beat Brett and the Royals 4-2.

Warham
06-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Mr. Mike Schmidt.

Fucker hit four home runs in Wrigley Field one game.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Schmidt's a no-brainer...number 1...

Brett number 2...

but close to those guys...if not ahead is Eddie Matthews...he played in that hell-hole in Milwaukee...and still hit 512 dingers...and was good defensively...

With Aaron in that line-up...he didn't get the noteriety he should have...and that cost him being mentioned in most conversations...

I didn't like the guy...and he had no pop...but Wade Boggs has to be mentioned as well...even though he's an idiot...

Brooks and Nettles defensively...and Buddy Bell had a great glove...Clete Boyer...guys like that...

but Matthews, Schmidt and Brett could do it all...

Bob_R
06-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
but Wade Boggs has to be mentioned as well...even though he's an idiot...

LOL!

POJO_Risin
06-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey man...the dude had to have his chicken and pussy before every game...there isn't anything wrong with that...;)

Of course the fucking homo sold out...and fucking said he'd go into the hall as a Devil Ray...well...glad the HoF put an end to that shit...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-13-2004, 08:08 AM
I was a litle kid when the Phils won it all..but man, what a great memory.

Ah, a youngin' in the house.... ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
06-13-2004, 08:09 AM
and Buddy Bell had a great glove

Fookin' homer !!!

Just had to throw Bell in there, didn't ya ??? ;)

Notice I didn't throw MadDog Madlock in there with 4 batting championships !!!!

POJO_Risin
06-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Va...Va...Va...I said he had a great glove...6 golden gloves at 3B in the AL...and this is during Brett's heydey...

lifetime .280 average (25 points behind Madlock), but more all-star appearances...homers...and rbi's...

but either or...

Madlock could glove a semi going through the hole...

Bell could field like a motherfucker...and could hit some too...over 200 dingers...and over 1K ribbies...

POJO_Risin
06-13-2004, 02:00 PM
By the way Va...just so you know...Buddy Bell is from Pittsburgh...just so you know...

and by the way...I could have said Brook Jacoby you know...or Travis Fryman...lmfao...;)

Va Beach VH Fan
06-13-2004, 02:12 PM
By the way Va...just so you know...Buddy Bell is from Pittsburgh...just so you know...

and by the way...I could have said Brook Jacoby you know...or Travis Fryman...lmfao...;)

No shit ?? Didn't know that tidbit....

POJO_Risin
06-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah...they used to make a big deal of it in Cleveland though...

his interviews used to always be, "I grew up with an appreciation of towns like Cleveland because of spending off-seasons in Pittsburgh...and during the season in a lot of the smaller major league cities with my dad..."